Menu

What do you give your first grader to do independently?

My son will work with me in the mornings, then after lunch, he will go to a local montessori school for extra stuff (art, piano, french, cooking, gym *not all at the same time!*) and then the kids at that school do their independent work in the afternoons for about an hour - then they get recess for 1/2 hour and I will pick him up.

My ds has not really done any independent work yet, so I'm hoping this will work out. :001_unsure: He is the only homeschool kid there but he knows every single kid in the class. There are 12 of them and range from 1st to 3rd grade. :)

TIA!

Where do his interests lie? Would he enjoy reading, or writing in a journal? Are there any assignments from the morning with you that he could be doing more work on? How about practicing handwriting, or doing simple logic pages or puzzles?

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

We haven't started school yet, but actually I think we'll start monday so I'll have a better idea. We did kindergarten very gently.

I think handwriting will be great and I'm looking into logic pages now... I think he would like that.

I would love to send him with a puzzle... although they do have puzzles there. Maybe I'll ask the teacher if he can choose some work from their shelves.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

We haven't started school yet, but actually I think we'll start monday so I'll have a better idea. We did kindergarten very gently.

I think handwriting will be great and I'm looking into logic pages now... I think he would like that.

I would love to send him with a puzzle... although they do have puzzles there. Maybe I'll ask the teacher if he can choose some work from their shelves.

Explode the code can be done mostly independently.

Explode the code can be done mostly independently.

This is the only thing my daughter can do independently. She's in second now, but we've been doing ETC since K. Well aside from reading that is, but curriculum wise this is all that's easy enough for her to do alone.

Just thinking about the things my 1st grader can do on his own:

Art project for SOTW 1 (coloring page, own creation, etc.)

Mapping for the 1st grader by Evan-Moor

ETC

Spelling workout A

Cartooning/tracing book

You may consider these busy work, but I consider them learning.

My son will work with me in the mornings, then after lunch, he will go to a local montessori school for extra stuff (art, piano, french, cooking, gym *not all at the same time!*) and then the kids at that school do their independent work in the afternoons for about an hour - then they get recess for 1/2 hour and I will pick him up.

My ds has not really done any independent work yet, so I'm hoping this will work out. :001_unsure: He is the only homeschool kid there but he knows every single kid in the class. There are 12 of them and range from 1st to 3rd grade. :)

TIA!

I would suggest creating a nature journal. He could use the time at the school to draw and color (in colored pencils) his drawings. He could take a book or picture with him to school to look at as a reference since he can't do the sketching outside.

Nature journals are definitely not busy work and my kids have all loved drawing them. One of my dds has drawn over 40 different bird species (she is a bird lover). My other kids have been fascinated with insects, trees, flowers, clouds, etc.

I think I would rotate through different project throughout the year. I think momof7's nature journal suggestion is great. If he's reading independently, how about some easy readers? If not, I'd do small motor things like: handwriting, coloring, cutting and pasting. Kumon's makes nice workbooks, Draw Write Now, the Anti-coloring books are all possibilites.

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Coloring-Book-Creative-Activities-Ages/dp/0805068422/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250793103&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/First-Cutting-Kumon-Workbooks-Commonwealth/dp/1933241764/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250793261&sr=1-19

http://www.amazon.com/Draw-Write-Book-Critters-Storybook-Draw-Write-Now/dp/0963930710/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250793334&sr=1-1

My dd likes those anti coloring books, and the ones that you add to the drawing. Also, I keep store workbooks of her choice around for quiet times. Like she has the complete book of dinosaurs workbook since she loves dinosaurs. I would let her work a couple of pages of her choice out of it, then color or read. I would also switch things up, and not plan on doing the same thing all year. You could also use that time for him to do math after you have gone over the lesson at home. Either extra sheets for extra practice, or to finish any not completed.

But mostly, my dd would be happy to have silent reading time! Is he a good reader? Having assigned reading time like that daily could help if he is not, or be fun if he enjoys it!

How long is the independent work time? Maybe puzzle books--dot to dot, color by number? We've found Dover dot-to-dots that go up over 100, or that count by 5s or 10s. Make him a folder with some sheets in it--torn out from Kumon workbooks, or some copywork.

As others said--Explode the Code, although I preferred to work through phonics with the boys so I knew they were "getting it".

A notebook to fill with drawings or writing (if he's doing that). A book to read.

My 6 1/2 year old has "independent work" that consists of--his Pathway reader and workbook, the review section in his math book, handwriting, and his spelling workbook. He does these each morning while I'm working on reading with his younger brother---

ETA--An HOUR, wow. I don't know how you'll fill that up!!! unless you can find some fun activities. I guess we don't school very long--my 6 1/2 year old does his math/reading/english/LA for about 45 minutes to an hour, but a lot of that is with me. Then we do our History/Bible/Science together with Younger Brother for about an hour. Hopefully the school will have some ideas for you too--maybe you could pick him up early?

Betsy

Edited by MeAndTheBoys

Great ideas, thanks everyone. :) I would never have thought of some of these on my own, I'm so glad I asked!

ETA--An HOUR, wow. I don't know how you'll fill that up!!! unless you can find some fun activities.

I know, I thought that was kind of long too so I'll definitely have to find some fun activities. Since he will be in a classroom with other kids working independently, I'm sure there will be some goofing around and I could definitely pick him up early but their 1/2 hour recess comes at the end of school and he wouldn't want to miss that.

12:30-1:30ish is the special. then 1:30-2:30 work independently, then 2:30-3:00 recess and that's it! I hope this works out and I don't feel like it's crazy but he really, really wants to do this.

Just thinking about the things my 1st grader can do on his own:

Art project for SOTW 1 (coloring page, own creation, etc.)

Mapping for the 1st grader by Evan-Moor

ETC

Spelling workout A

Cartooning/tracing book

You may consider these busy work, but I consider them learning.

I don't consider it busy work but I'm afraid of falling into the trap of busywork and I need ideas.

I love the idea of a nature journal. I think he would love that.

BTW, he is not reading yet but I'm hoping he will be reading at some point this year!

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I would want more information about "independent work" time. I know in most Montessori schools, that just means the kids go and pick activities from the shelves. Would she have to do work from home? Or could she use the Montessori manipulatives and such? *I* think the opportunity to use Montessori manipulatives, maps, land/ water forms, math materials (drool), even the practical life materials...... would be soooooo worth it!

If you have to send work, what about free art? Watercolors, drawing, scissors practice, mazes. Handwriting, puzzles, practice with tying bows and such, etc.

I would want more information about "independent work" time. I know in most Montessori schools, that just means the kids go and pick activities from the shelves. Would she have to do work from home? Or could she use the Montessori manipulatives and such? *I* think the opportunity to use Montessori manipulatives, maps, land/ water forms, math materials (drool), even the practical life materials...... would be soooooo worth it!

If you have to send work, what about free art? Watercolors, drawing, scissors practice, mazes. Handwriting, puzzles, practice with tying bows and such, etc.

He can use the stuff in the classroom, I'll have to find more about what independent time means.

When I spoke with the teacher earlier in the day, she said I should send in work with him because the kids in that room will have their work from the morning but maybe he doesn't need an hour and a half worth of work - great point and thank you!

Well, not reading yet makes a big difference as to what can be done alone. He would have to be able to read the instructions on a lot of these ideas. Hopefully by the end of the year that will be happening, and then your choices will really open up. There are some really good science type books with lots of pictures that you could send for looking at instead of reading.

There were some good non reading ideas too, though. It sounds like a fun oppurtunity for him. Hope all goes well!

I would also recommend looking into using the Montessori manipulatives. If you need to show him how to use some of the manipulatives or tie them to your studies in some way that could be very beneficial. We are using Right Start for our math program and the manipulatives are Montessori based so that program would have some activites for you to try.

It sounds like a great opportunity! I hope it works out well for your family.

There were some good non reading ideas too, though. It sounds like a fun oppurtunity for him. Hope all goes well!

Thanks! I really want this to work out.

I would also recommend looking into using the Montessori manipulatives. If you need to show him how to use some of the manipulatives or tie them to your studies in some way that could be very beneficial. We are using Right Start for our math program and the manipulatives are Montessori based so that program would have some activites for you to try.

It sounds like a great opportunity! I hope it works out well for your family.

We use RightStart too, so I will definitely talk to the teacher about him using the math manipulatives.

I will be seeing the teacher again on monday so I can talk to her about the shelf work.

:w00t: I just spoke to the teacher and she said he can do shelf work and I will be able to go in there with him and show him the stuff and the teacher said she will work with him if he has some questions.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I ordered some logic books and tracing paper to send in with him and I'll be looking for more as the year goes on. :)