Menu

Yikes, Swine flu at my daughter's camp...

Guest kacifl

Guest kacifl

Just received a call from camp officials that a camper has been diagnosed with the Swine Flu. I was told that I could come and pick her up now, if we feel it is necessary. It is nearly 10 p.m. I'm not too worried about it, but my husband ( who lives in another city) wants me go and get her. I don't want to go this late at night. I'd have to get my son out of bed and it is a long drive. Camp is over the next day at three.

My daughter does suffer from flu and cold induced asthma. We've had occasional trips to the emergency room because of it. So I can see why hubby is worried.

The child who is sick is a 15 year old boy. The girls would be less exposed as they're in a different building.

What would you do?:bigear:

I wouldn't go get her. She would already be exposed to whatever degree she would be exposed-kwim. Going to get her won't change that. Camp is over tomorrow- I'd wait!

:iagree: He was more contagious in the last few days, so another 16 or so hours will not really change her exposure. I assume he has been picked up or quarantined in some way so she would not be exposed any longer.

I'm a huge worrier, so my worrier personality would scream to go get her now. But then my level headed personality (which is buried really deep down in there LOL) would tell me that she's already been exposed and there's nothing that can be done from this point. So I'd probably just wait until tomorrow to get her at the regular time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn viewpost.gif

I wouldn't go get her. She would already be exposed to whatever degree she would be exposed-kwim. Going to get her won't change that. Camp is over tomorrow- I'd wait!

:iagree: He was more contagious in the last few days, so another 16 or so hours will not really change her exposure. I assume he has been picked up or quarantined in some way so she would not be exposed any longer.

I got a similar call this year but on the second day. He stayed.

They only way they could know for certain if it is swine flu is after 7 days. Apparently it takes that long for the test results. The child may have all the symptoms, but they can't say with 1000% certainty.

My daughter is at sleep away camp (many states and hundreds of miles and about 10 hour drive).

Two weeks into camp they said they have several "suspected cases of H1N1 (swine flu). The camp had a policy that children "suspected" of being sick with this flu would be quarantined until the parents could pick them up and they had to be home for 7 days and cleared by their doctor before they could return.

I was concerned but I sent her to camp nothing this was a very real possibility.

It did not spread and camp is over tomorrow.

Plus a girl in her bunk got strep throat but no one else got sick.

In June, the Boy Scout camp in San Isabel, CO (where my two oldest were spending the week) was put under quarantine for a day because of swine flu. They tried to confine it, but it spread anyway. The morning after my oldest arrived home, he woke up with fever. Confirmed Type A. It was amazingly mild. I wish every flu season was like this. Ds#3 contracted it, and ds #5 and I both had a low grade fever for about a day. That was when I learned from the doc. that some folks get it and don't even have a fever. I wish it had gone through everyone in the family, because then we'd all have immunity if and when swine flu mutates and gets really nasty during the regular season. Me? I'd let her stay and hope she gets it, honestly. In its current form, it's much more mild than the regular seasonal flu. They're worried about mutations, though. That's why there's so much fuss.

I would probably pick her up. I get worried about stuff like that. I should let you know that my ds worked at a summer camp and many kids and staff were in quarentine throughout the summer. They were fairly sure some of it was swine flu. Ds got sick 2 days before he was to drive 21 hours home. I was pretty stressed about it but whatever he had ended up being a pretty mild virus.