Menu

Would you sign a national homeschool registar for federal tax credit?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. We are already on government "lists" for everything else related to taxes - payroll, mortgage deduction, capital gains, dividends, interest, deduction for real estate taxes, flexible spending account, energy savings credit, stimulus payments, child tax credit, charitable contributions, other deductions, etc. For any of these categories, you are "registered" with someone whether it's your mortgage company, your company hr dept and that information is sent to the government anyway. What's one more category?

Louise

Edited by LMA

The way to "opt out" is to leave your dc off your income tax return. Don't claim them, and you don't get any credits. Don't put your motgage interest on there. What's hard about opting out of these things?

because i want the money back the gvt forcefully took away from me, but i don't want any EXTRA money back from other people. we're in it for the zero balance on taxes paid to the gvt.

Besides, why should the general public pay for my homeschooling my children?

They shouldn't. For the exact same reason that I shouldn't be forced to pay for the general public's schooling.

Which is why i only support a system that lets me keep my own money and freely decide where to spend it.

I am delighted that some of my taxes support the libraries, even if I do not use them often.

When I back myself into a spare, bare corner and look myself in the eye relentlessly, neither do I resent that some of my taxes support the public schools. These schools provide an education, even though that means (often? usually ?) poor-quality academics, and a morally-diseased (always) values system. This is education for many children and teens who otherwise would receive no education at all. ..... the "greater good" is that children have a shot at some minimum level of education.

My intent is not to derail the thread, but to point out that many people pay taxes to support organizations and activities which they, themselves, do not actually use, but which provide "good" for other people.

I'm all for donating a part of my income to give future American voters a chance to learn to read, who otherwise would not have an education.

If it were not for public schools, I simply would not have gotten an education. Both my parents worked. While PS is not ideal (especially not anymore) it is, in theory, a way to help ensure the voting populace has enough education to rule itself wisely.

we'll have to quibble about that last phrase ;)

I think those services should be funded voluntarily by people who support those services. And I think people who don't mind supporting those services should continue to have every opportunity to fund them :)

The only way to truly handle this type issue is for anyone without children in a public school to NOT pay. Grandparents, property owners, payers of special sales taxes... not just us.

Just let those who utilize the ps pay for it. Imagine the backlash.:lol:

not really:

The State has a legal compelling interest in the education of its citizens.

It would be easy enough to exclude taxing [since we're not going to do away with the taxing system. sigh] the people who are actively doing what is traditionally [and legally] seen as a state interest: educating citizens.

so unless you are teaching or paying for a child's education, you can't claim the education credit.

Let me make sure I am understanding this. You will take a credit (or exemption as in my example) for having children but not for homeschooling them?

That is correct. I don't want the government giving me money specifically because I homeschool. I believe it could be a step towards having more government interference in my homeschool. There's a possibility it could lead to "You take the tax credit, you need to educate your children our way." I would rather circumvent the whole thing by not taking the credit.

This is specific to homeschooling for me. I don't have an issue with taking tax credits/exemptions for having children.

This would be a personal decision for me. I wouldn't have a problem if others chose to take the credit.

That is correct. I don't want the government giving me money specifically because I homeschool. I believe it could be a step towards having more government interference in my homeschool. There's a possibility it could lead to "You take the tax credit, you need to educate your children our way." I would rather circumvent the whole thing by not taking the credit.

This is specific to homeschooling for me. I don't have an issue with taking tax credits/exemptions for having children.

This would be a personal decision for me. I wouldn't have a problem if others chose to take the credit.

I've considered the "foot in the door" scenario too.

At this point, I'm fine w/ taking a credit [to get my own money back] as long as all i have to do is check the box.

They've been allowing children as deductions for decades now and the gvt hasn't progressed to insisting we raise/feed/vaccinate/educate children a certain way.

Yet. ;)

I would take a tax credit for each child not currently attending public school; however, that would mean all children not attending ps could take that credit. That will never happen as too many wealthier families would no longer be supporting a free public education while their children attend private schools. I am the ultimate advocate for school choice and believe your money should go to support your choices. It will never happen though.

You're right it won't happen. Private school parents should get a credit, too. And then all the people who are childless will start complaining....

Well, since my city already knows I homeschool, the federal gov't wouldn't have a hard time tracking me down anyway.

I'm actually pretty proud of the fact that I homeschool, so I don't think I'd have a problem with it. I'm very independent on the political spectrum, and I like minimal gov't intrusion, but I do think we homeschoolers need to be vocal, proud, confident people -- showing the gov't that we are here and we intend to keep on going without their intrusion or control.

It's bad enough that we have to get permission and model after a social program (gov't schools).

:iagree: I haven't read all the replies. I stopped when I found one that echoes my opinion.

We already have to register with the state, so yes I would certainly register with the feds for a tax break.

This is more specifically how I feel. :iagree:

Just for theoretical discussion purposes: A bit of a "slippery slope" here. I have opposed every single U.S.-involved war during my lifetime. Using the logic here, I should be able to claim exemption from my tax money funding the military. . . . Or claim exemption from my tax money funding stem cell research using murdered babies . . . Or. . . etc.

Unfortunately, in cases which vary with the individual, citizens will not support all uses of their required tax monies, yet have to live with the "one size attempting to fit all" nature of government.

I think those services should be funded voluntarily by people who support those services. And I think people who don't mind supporting those services should continue to have every opportunity to fund them :)
Edited by Orthodox6

Just for theoretical discussion purposes: A bit of a "slippery slope" here. I have opposed every single U.S.-involved war during my lifetime. Using the logic here, I should be able to claim exemption from my tax money funding the military. . . . Or claim exemption from my tax money funding stem cell research using murdered babies . . . Or. . . etc.

Unfortunately, in cases which vary with the individual, citizens will not support all uses of their required tax monies, yet have to live with the "one size attempting to fit all" nature of government.

I understand.

yes, i think you should be able to do that.

I tend to support a more capitalistic gvt than what we have now. [capitalism.org]

but until we get that, I'm supportive of allowing as many ways for citizens to get THEIR money back as possible.

I don't want the government giving me money specifically because I homeschool.

I don't know about your state, but here where I live I pay a large sum of money for school taxes every year. For my large contribution to the public school system I get exactly nothing in return. No books, no curricula, nada.

I would see a tax credit as getting my money back. Those that public school their kids already got their money's worth.

Well in NY I feel like I already have to give out so much info. It wouldn't be much of a difference, and I'd get more money?! I might seriously consider it.

That's what I was thinking, too. I think it would depend on how the credit went into existence, and how it was verified if suspected of fraud. But I don't know... signing a register is different from checking that box on your tax form. It would make me suspicious.

If homeschoolers were offered a federal tax credit but we're asked to sign a national register, would you do it? No restrictions, no governing body just a register.

I'm still contemplating my answer on this. What say the hive?

Since I have to register in my state already, probably. I'm getting kinda nervous, though.

Sure, for a hefty tax credit I would. A register isn't going to make any difference in the big scheme of things. The state already has my name.

I don't know about your state, but here where I live I pay a large sum of money for school taxes every year. For my large contribution to the public school system I get exactly nothing in return. No books, no curricula, nada.

I would see a tax credit as getting my money back. Those that public school their kids already got their money's worth.

Exactly. We're already in a database somewhere (let's be real - MANY databases) and, in my view, a tax credit would be the same as the dependent tax credits we get: simply a correction of "overpayment" of our taxes throughout the year.

Now, all taxpayers/homeowners here contribute to the education system, among other things, and I don't think I should get a tax credit for not using the roads or because we have never had a house fire or medical emergency, either. But, if I built my own roads or firehouse, I would. :D