Menu

Favorite Coffee

When you go through it as quickly as we do around here it's not necessarily the taste you're going after.;)

However, I have recently learned to develop a taste for Folgers and Chase and Sanborn (cheaper). Just the other day I picked up a can of Chock Full o' Nuts (it was even cheaper that the C&S), we'll see how it goes.

Though I keep trying to see just how low we can go, in price that is, I think it would take a lot to start drinking the store brands. But who knows, maybe there's a decent one out there somewhere.

We buy Eight O'Clock whole bean coffee and grind it fresh every morning.

I get one red bag, one bag of Columbian, and one small bag of a dark roast or french roast (usually a premium brand) and mix them all together in a big tupperware container. Don't tell my dh I just gave away his proprietary blend. :D

We are big coffee fans around here. To me the most important thing is to grind it yourself! We like Eight o Clock bean, either Columbian or French Roast. It is not expensive and was either the winner or runner-up of Consumer Reports' taste test a few years back.

I confess that we're serious coffee snobs here and prefer to buy our beans freshly roasted from a local shop. :blushing:

However, if we have to buy from a regular store...we like the fair trade beans that WalMart sells as its store brand (could be a Sam's Club label? - it's a white bag), or Eight o'clock's dark roast.

We go through the BIG bags of Dunkin' Donuts coffee that we get from BJ's. Sam's & Costco probably have them too.

We use the Dunkin' Dark and Dunkin' Decaf (since I have an irregular heartbeat & I'm on medication for it, I have to watch my caffeine intake. And I drink coffee day & night, whether it's hot or cold outside). We even have 2 coffee makers on the kitchen counter -- we used to have 3, but the third one broke :D

i don't know how the price compares, honestly, but i LOVE costco's own brand of coffee ... the one they roast on site there. ... the darkest roast they have, the name of which also escapes me right now. maybe it's costa rican?

Love it and it's economical. Of course I always enjoy Starbucks when we get to one but it's a bit steep in price. My dh and I love strong, strong coffee.

and roasts them himself using a hot air popcorn popper. You can't get better flavor than that - it's to die for. And it's pretty cheap. Even after paying shipping, it comes out to only $6-7/lb. He's got me hooked - I never even liked coffee until a few months ago.

We are huge Starbucks fans but tried to save some money and tried several different brands. The best we found to save a few $$ was the Costco Brand--Kirkland. They seem to vary types that you can get (french, sumatra, etc). We usually prefer a dark roast. At one point we were getting the Sumatra. Then they no longer sold that. They had a few others in between what we are now using, the Espresso beans and enjoying that. Not sure how to help if you are not a Costco member. If you have a Trader Joe's, we like their coffee, though I am not sure about the price. I say try Sam's brand of Members Mark. I think I have tried it in the past but do not remember if we liked it or not...

As for Eight O'Clock, we tried that on recommendation from a friend that we would just love it and found it was along the lines of Folgers, IMO.

Folgers Columbian

We've used Dunkin Donuts, Eight O'Clock, and several others that are more expensive than Folgers. One day, we had to make an "emergency" stop for coffee, and I bought Folgers Columbian because I couldn't find what I was looking for. It's all we've bought since; I love it.

Edited by LizzyBee

and roasts them himself using a hot air popcorn popper. You can't get better flavor than that - it's to die for. And it's pretty cheap. Even after paying shipping, it comes out to only $6-7/lb. He's got me hooked - I never even liked coffee until a few months ago.

I didn't even know this could be done!

Wah! We don't have a Costco here.

That really is a good price point! I just look at the Starbucks bag (nearly empty:001_huh:) and it's 2 lbs of beans, and I believe it was $17.99.

Do you have a Trader Joe's around? They have a variety of coffee starting around $5.99 a pound in our area.

On my first trip to Argentina 7 years ago I fell in love with the coffee. We went to the foodstore and bought home a suitcase full of coffee.

We then found a distributor in Miami, Florida (my mother's spanish speaking handyman had to place the order via phone). They have since stopped selling to individuals but my brother was able to find another distributor willing to sell it to us.

When I run out, and before our next shipment, I buy whatever the food store is selling that is decaf.

I don't mind McDonalds coffee though. Starbucks taste like burnt coffee beans and always leaves an aftertaste in my mouth.

I figured out another corner I can cut to save a bit of coinage every month: coffee!

For years I've purchased the Starbucks beans at Sam's Club (even when it was at $21 a bag!) without a second thought. I'm finally having that much-needed second thought:)

What's your favorite inexpensive coffee?

I only drink Jim's coffee. Everything else taste like acid after having it.

It is organic and fair trade (don;t want the exploitation of 5 year olds on my soul!), for a better price than starbucks. It's a high-quality coffee, so you get a better cup for less bean. You can find it in amazon (subscribe and save no less!)

I LOVE JIM! and his coffee too!

http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/

I only drink Jim's coffee. Everything else taste like acid after having it.

It is organic and fair trade (don;t want the exploitation of 5 year olds on my soul!), for a better price than starbucks. It's a high-quality coffee, so you get a better cup for less bean. You can find it in amazon (subscribe and save no less!)

I LOVE JIM! and his coffee too!

http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/

I gotta say, I love Jim's too....awesome coffee...no bitterness at all. My favorite Jim's blends are Jo Jo's Java and Italian Roast.

It is a little pricey, but as Wildflower stated above, I find I use less of it than other coffee brands. I buy whole bean and grind it at home.

Edited by Imprimis

I gotta say, I love Jim's too....awesome coffee...no bitterness at all. My favorite Jim's blends are Jo Jo's Java and Italian Roast.

It is a little pricey, but as Wildflower stated above, I find I use less of it than other coffee brands. I buy whole bean and grind it at home.

have you tried amazon? 7 bucks a bag (free shipping if you have prime) how can you beat that? they have JO-JO's too!

Good stuff!

:iagree:Oh yeah, TJ's Fair Trade Organic French Roast.:D

:iagree:

When I shop we drink TJ's French Roast. When my husband shops we drink something from Costco. Unfortunatly our Costco no longer roasts their own beans, and the coffee he chooses is a bit more expensive than it used to be.

I confess that we're serious coffee snobs here and prefer to buy our beans freshly roasted from a local shop. :blushing:

However, if we have to buy from a regular store...we like the fair trade beans that WalMart sells as its store brand (could be a Sam's Club label? - it's a white bag), or Eight o'clock's dark roast.

Okay, so I went to the store tonight and feel obligated to correct my description of the coffee I get at WalMart! It is not a white bag - its a dark purplish color with a scenic picture (I must have been thinking about Starbucks, ahem). It is Sam's Choice brand and the one we like is the Espresso Roast Fair Trade. We don't like the other roasts as well as this one, but it is the darkest roast and we like dark roast!

Perhaps I should also add that I like Eight O'clock well enough, but dh doesn't care for it so much.

We live in a small town too, so I share your pain about no Costco or Trader Joe's. :(

I hope you'll let us know when you do your taste test! This is a fun thread. :)