Menu

Purchasing a laptop- recommendations?

So we just bought a new hard drive and battery for our Toshiba Satellite, long boring story- it didn't help. The darn machine just keeps turning itself off. I guess it did give us a few good years. Anyhoo- I need a new one. I would like to purchase it slightly used or even refurbished. Usually I search the internet for reviews of computers say a couple of years old. We have a desktop, so I'm looking for something to surf the internet, watch a video on the road, hold some basic programs, good graphics card.

Anybody have one they really like?

Thanks!:D

I just bought a new HP laptop to replace the HP Pavilion laptop that served me well for about six years. The screen finally went on the old one so we spent a long time agonizing over what to buy. We finally went with another HP because other than the screen finally giving out, it was a trusty old thing, enduring long hours of daily use for my dog club as well as personal stuff.

I'd love a MacBook, but just can't justify the big price tag.

Happy shopping!

astrid

I have a feeling you're not going to like this:) - get a Mac. I bought the one I'm using now from Stacey in LA right off these boards for $350. It is a little iBook G4 and it is wonderful!!!! I've had it a couple of years and never had any issues. We are a Mac family (although we do have a couple of pc's that friends have given us over the years). Whenever the Macs are busy and someone has to use the pc they roll their eyes and reluctantly comply.

A friend of mine just bought her first Mac and she said she will NEVER buy another pc.

JMHO.:D

So we just bought a new hard drive and battery for our Toshiba Satellite, long boring story- it didn't help. The darn machine just keeps turning itself off. I guess it did give us a few good years. Anyhoo- I need a new one. I would like to purchase it slightly used or even refurbished. Usually I search the internet for reviews of computers say a couple of years old. We have a desktop, so I'm looking for something to surf the internet, watch a video on the road, hold some basic programs, good graphics card.

Anybody have one they really like?

Thanks!:D

Do you use a laptop cooler with it? That sounds like what was happening with mine when it got too hot - a cooler took care of it. If that doesn't help, I'll just say that I'm not happy with my HP that I got for Christmas as it's being sent in for repairs now. We've loved our Toshibas but I would get a Mac if I had extra money lying around.

We're a Mac family. I decided to save a couple hundred $$ last winter and buy a Compaq. I had to completely restore the hard drive from disc after having it for about 2 months. Tech Support didn't have an explanation, but they were helpful. One month ago the motherboard died. It's been in the shop ever since, waiting for a new motherboard because this one is on recall.

My husband got really tired of seeing me work on my old Mac Powerbook, literally being held together with duct tape and yarn (hey, it still works. the hinges are just broken!) and bought me a MacBook Pro. We'll let the kids use the PC when, IF, it ever comes back from the shop. I doubt we'll allow them to connect to the internet due to the virus/malware/spyware risk.

I will NEVER buy another PC. I have a Mac that is more than 10 years old that still works.

Buy a Mac. I found out the hard way that it IS worth it.

I have a feeling you're not going to like this:) - get a Mac. I bought the one I'm using now from Stacey in LA right off these boards for $350. It is a little iBook G4 and it is wonderful!!!! I've had it a couple of years and never had any issues. We are a Mac family (although we do have a couple of pc's that friends have given us over the years). Whenever the Macs are busy and someone has to use the pc they roll their eyes and reluctantly comply.

A friend of mine just bought her first Mac and she said she will NEVER buy another pc.

JMHO.:D

I agree... when this PC bites the dust, hubby wants to buy a Mac. Powerbooks go up to $1300.

So we just bought a new hard drive and battery for our Toshiba Satellite, long boring story- it didn't help. The darn machine just keeps turning itself off.

I had the same problem with this brand laptop a few months ago, it turned out to be that the internal fan was broken causing the laptop to overheat and shut off. I sent it to Toshiba and they replaced the fan for free (it was still under the 1 year warranty). Problem solved; it's worked properly ever since. You might want to look into that before buying a new laptop.

HTH

We have 4 :blushing: as of last night. One will be for sale now. Dell, HATE it. Their CS is awful! Every time they would fix something, they would break something else. ACER, that has been fine, but is going up for sale. MY NEW MacBook :drool5::001_wub: it! Got it on sale for $900 at Best buy! And DH just got a netbook, I havent got to check it out yet.

We have always been a PC family, but are making the transition to Mac. My DH has always used Macs with his research at work and I am getting him a MacBook on Friday (Tax free holiday!).

After a field trip to the Apple Store, I was sold on getting Macs for the kids in the future. They seem so much easier for the kids to use too. The price tag is bigger, but I've never heard anything bad about Macs....PC's are another story!

Liz in NC

Love my Dell. Because ds would also be using it I purchased the "no matter what you do - we will fix it warranty" and they have. Even if you run it over with your car they will fix or replace it. No, I didn't run it over. However, we have replaced the keyboard twice (our fault entirely) and because of a blue line on the display we now have a new display. We called, DHL bought a box to our door to ship it in, DHL picked it up, 3 days later our Laptop is back and looked like new. I love Dell.

To be honest, as much as I would like to try a Mac, I simply can't:

* afford one

* would not buy one without a warrenty (thus, would want to buy a new one and the prices just simply are no where near comparable)

* because I use HST+ and would not pay another bundle just to be able to

* because I would not be able to open other MS files that others use and share, for the same reason as with the HST+ situation.

When Mac decides to start having competitive pricing, THEN I will consider them.

Last two years we've gone to WalMart and purchased laptops at "secret" internet sales in early November. Two years ago, we got a pair of Toshiba laptops for $400.00 each. Last year we got three Compaq laptops for $300.00 each. In addition, we were in Walmart this time of year last year shopping for college supplies for DS19. We told the lady in the store we had bought laptops in November for $400 and she said "We have about 100 $400 laptops in the back! Do you want one?"

Why do we go with dirt-cheap laptops? Because we're convinced they last longer than high-performance laptops. The cheap laptops usually employ super-cheap microprocessors made using 45nm or 65nm CMOS and therefore do not produce much heat. As such, they do not need to run their fans and therefore do not pull much dirt into their heatsink fins. This all equates to cooler operation of the electronics, resulting in fewer failures.

Bottom line for us: Cheaper laptops cost less up front, last longer and don't burn our laps!

Yikes! I'm nervous about the Toshiba Satellite comments because I just bought one 2 months ago AND LOVE IT! Hopefully nothing happens. Hmm.

Anyhoo, when I was laptop shopping 2 months ago, the first thing I bought was a Dell Studio 17. BIG MISTAKE. Had to return it within 24 hours because the cool lit-up eject button refused to work. It ate my CD. Had to take it back to Best Buy where they dismantled the backside to get it out.

That's when I exchanged it fo the Toshiba Satellite, and...well...I love my lil' Sheba:D

Thanks for all the replies. Mac's are cool but I can't see transitioning with two other PC's in the house. I don't want to spend too much either because the dc will be using it occasionally.

As to the fan on the Toshiba, dh had already dismantled it and everything appeared to be working. :confused:

It looks to me like a computer purchase is like a camera or car purchase- everybody loves what they love and it's totally personal!

To be honest, as much as I would like to try a Mac, I simply can't:

* afford one

* would not buy one without a warrenty (thus, would want to buy a new one and the prices just simply are no where near comparable)

Apple Care is transferable to a new buyer. WHich is cool - but Mac's hold their value and there isn't a "huge" discount for buying used often.

They dropped their prices last month - when you go just on specs and processors (not counting blue ray) they are on par. But there isn't a sub $900 "cheap" like Windows manufactures spew out.

* because I use HST+ and would not pay another bundle just to be able to

This would involve having a valid OS license for Windows. XP or Vista. Running under boot camp it would be free, i use Fusion and got that for $30 on sale. I have a few things that run on XP.... it just runs as another window on the machine!

* because I would not be able to open other MS files that others use and share, for the same reason as with the HST+ situation.

There is no issue opening MS files at all. MS themselves makes Office for the Mac, and iWork deals with the files as does the FREE Open Office based products. This really isn't an issue today....

When Mac decides to start having competitive pricing, THEN I will consider them.

I can relate to this, but the lifespan of a Mac is often longer than comparable "cheap PC's". Then add in the lower cost of ownership - i'll take an old slow Mac over a brand spanking new "PC" ANY day (especially if Vista is involved). Then add in the fact that they hold their value VERY VERY well, the multi-year cost is the same/cheaper.

BUT, like i read below - yup, it's like cars and cameras! LOL!!! (VW & Canon :tongue_smilie: )

Yikes! I'm nervous about the Toshiba Satellite comments because I just bought one 2 months ago AND LOVE IT! Hopefully nothing happens. Hmm.

Anyhoo, when I was laptop shopping 2 months ago, the first thing I bought was a Dell Studio 17. BIG MISTAKE. Had to return it within 24 hours because the cool lit-up eject button refused to work. It ate my CD. Had to take it back to Best Buy where they dismantled the backside to get it out.

That's when I exchanged it fo the Toshiba Satellite, and...well...I love my lil' Sheba:D

If it makes you feel any better, we have 2 Toshiba Satellites and love them both. One is 6 years old and the hard drive died at the end of last year which is when dh got me a cheap HP to replace it. We put in a new $70 hard drive and ds is now using it with no problems. Actually, I'm using it now while my HP is getting fixed. :glare: My dd's is nearly 2 years old and problem free. I did notice that our Toshibas had 2 year warranties while my new HP only came with a 1 year warranty. That should have been a sign. :001_huh:

This is our philosophy as well-- except we do not shop at Wal-Mart so we purchase ours elsewhere. We're not about to shell out the $$$ for a Mac, and have had really good (knock wood!) luck with laptops on the lower end of the price scale. This HP was less than $450, as was the one before this which made it six years.

Astrid

Last two years we've gone to WalMart and purchased laptops at "secret" internet sales in early November. Two years ago, we got a pair of Toshiba laptops for $400.00 each. Last year we got three Compaq laptops for $300.00 each. In addition, we were in Walmart this time of year last year shopping for college supplies for DS19. We told the lady in the store we had bought laptops in November for $400 and she said "We have about 100 $400 laptops in the back! Do you want one?"

Why do we go with dirt-cheap laptops? Because we're convinced they last longer than high-performance laptops. The cheap laptops usually employ super-cheap microprocessors made using 45nm or 65nm CMOS and therefore do not produce much heat. As such, they do not need to run their fans and therefore do not pull much dirt into their heatsink fins. This all equates to cooler operation of the electronics, resulting in fewer failures.

Bottom line for us: Cheaper laptops cost less up front, last longer and don't burn our laps!

We do the same. I bought an Emachine desktop 8 years ago and it just died. I paid $300 for it. I got my money's worth. We just purchased a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy for $300 and then a couple of weeks later bought a Compaq laptop from Walmart (we *needed* two). I like the Compaq better because it has a number pad - so the kids are using the Toshiba. I figure if they each last 3 years - I paid a $100 a year and got my money's worth. I don't want to invest a ton of $$$ money into a laptop only to find they have better technology in a couple of years.

We do the same. I bought an Emachine desktop 8 years ago and it just died. I paid $300 for it. I got my money's worth. We just purchased a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy for $300 and then a couple of weeks later bought a Compaq laptop from Walmart (we *needed* two). I like the Compaq better because it has a number pad - so the kids are using the Toshiba. I figure if they each last 3 years - I paid a $100 a year and got my money's worth. I don't want to invest a ton of $$$ money into a laptop only to find they have better technology in a couple of years.

I bought my eMachine about 3 years ago. Best PC I think we've ever purchased. It was around $300.

I have my boys using some refurbished Dells. So far, they've worked great.

That said, I still prefer Mac. The only reason I still use PC is because I need it for my Quickbooks software. I understand they make a Mac version, but until I can afford a new Mac, I'll keep using the PC for that reason alone.