Menu

Is there any reason not to use it cast iron cokware?

I stumbled on a set of Griswold pans - they are about 70 years old and I absolutely can not figure out how I never discovered them sooner!

Can you all tell me if there is any health reason not to use it cast iron cokware?

Edited by 5KidzRUs

I don't use cast iron cookware, because just think about it: every food item you've ever cooked is still.in.there. All the oil, all the everything. I don't use wooden salad bowls, either, for the same reason. :-p

I know, I know--gazillions of people use cast iron and live to tell about it, but I can't bring myself to do it...

I don't know if this is the correct way to treat antique/old/or-just-any cast iron cookware - I stick mine in the dishwasher after each use without soap and they get a high temp. wash and a high temp. dry.

When they are done I spray with a light coat of Pam.

I hope that is not ruining the pans - because I plan on them being my last set of pans I ever buy! :)

Edited by 5KidzRUs

I don't know if this is the correct way to treat antique/old/or-just-any cast iron cookware - I stick mine in the dishwasher after each use without soap and they get a high temp. wash and a high temp. dry.

When they are done I spray with a light coat of Pam.

I hope that is not ruining the pans - because I plan on them being my last set of pans I ever buy! :)

Unfortunately, the dishwasher won't be soap free. There is an amazing amount of soap left after washing dishes in the dishwasher unless you use a tiny amount of detergent each time. If you use the tablets, gel packs or fill both compartments then there is a lot of soap left.

Dishwasher detergent is very strong and hard on pans (of any kind). A way to check is to let the wash cycle start for a minute or two, and then open the door, check for any bubbles that aren't just from water movement. This would be soap residue in action.

I know some people use soap on a well seasoned pan, but if these are not completely seasoned, it may prevent a good build up being formed.

And to speak to your original question....no, I have not heard of any health issues related to using cast iron. It can raise the natural iron levels in your body, so if this is a problem for any illness you or your family has, is the only problematic thing I can think of.

Cast iron is AWESOME....

The idea that everything you ever fixed in it is left is a little off...If they are treated and cleaned properly. ;)

After I use my pan I scrap it out, then I do a quick wipe with water--NEVER LEAVE WATER STANDING IN YOUR PAN for very long. After that I either stick it in the oven or on a burner for 10-15 mins. Then I "oil" it with lard or bacon grease. I prefer bacon grease.

The heat of the oven or burner is going to KILL ANY GERMS that may be left.

These are the instructions from my Great-Grandma, whose pans I still use. They were given to her at her wedding. :tongue_smilie:

Don't use on ceramic-top stoves. Other than that, I see no issues. :)

I use mine on a ceramic top stove. It's important not to slam them on the stove top or drag them around, but other than that they're really just like any other cooking vessel.

Seasoned pans do not retain food bits. The oil baked into the pan keeps food from settling into the nooks and crannies. That is how people have 'lived to tell about' (and pass down) their cookware for generations, I would imagine. (And, let's face it, centuries ago they were cooking some pretty iffy stuff, what with the lack of refrigeration. :ack2: )

I keep mine far away from the dishwasher - dishwasher detergent is very alkaline as well as abrasive. It will not only scratch the seasoned surface off, but will cause rusting. Not tasty and what a pain to have to re-season from scratch if that happens!

I don't use them because I am not physically strong and they make my arm hurt to lift them. Frankly, for me, it is dangerous.
This is precisely why MomsintheGarden gave away our cast iron pans. We have a large family and a large cast iron skillet full of food was too much to lift from that single, flat handle. She now uses a large Cuisinaire Everyday Stainless skillet that has an extra lifting handle opposite the long handle.
(I have really strong leg and back muscles, but my arms and wrists are incredibly weak, and always have been, even when I have undertaken serious exercise under instruction.)
I'm thinking you two MUST be related!

I love mine! They're practically the only pans I use now (except for some stainless stell saucepans and stockpots). A well-seasoned cast iron skillet is about as non-stick as any pan (besides teflon, which I don't want to use). I wash mine with hot water, no soap. For the ones I use less often, I oil them and heat them on the stove to dry completely after each use. For the one I use almost everyday, I just dry with a towel and don't worry about it. My only complaint would be that they *are* heavy, but it's not a problem for me.

You can check the owner's manual for your stove, but my smoothtop stove has no problem with cast iron. However you do want to rub your hand on the bottom of your pan and make sure it is smooth. Some brands are not smooth. The real issue with the cast iron on a smoothtop is the build-up of heat. As long as you don't leave it sitting there empty and put the burner way up, you should be fine.

I like my cast iron a lot, but I use my enameled cast iron even more. Now Lodge has it quite affordably, and of course there are the old standbys like Le Cruset. I'm very happy with my new Lodge one, and it's convenient to find. I use enameled with tomato stuff, any time I don't want black spots from the seasoning, etc. And enameled goes in the dishwasher! :)

I would love some old already well seasoned cast iron pans!

The only times I'd say not to use them is when cooking things that are acidic, ex.- tomato sauce.

Cast iron does increase the iron content in foods which is usually a good thing. Just make your dh has normal iron levels, because while women and kids are generally deficient and need more, too much iron is not good for grown men.

I just wipe mine down with a paper towel, if it's really dirty I'll wipe it with a wet paper towel and then let it heat up on the stove for about 5 minutes to dry the water.

Season with lard if you have it or I use coconut oil.

Absolutely love them. My grandmother used them, then my mother, and now I have them. Won't ever change. In fact, in the beginning of our marriage when we only a few kids and BEFORE I got my cast iron my pregnancies were always anemic. Ever since my wonderful cast iron I've never been anemic during pregnancy.

I'm looking into cast iron. I know you only use water to clean, but what is the purpose of heating it in the oven after each use?

Drying in the oven or on a burner keeps the pan from rusting.

It also softens any loose oil on the pan and allows it to melt into a smooth layer, helping the surface to become more non-stick.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Why can't soap be used to clean cast iron?

It can be used minimally on well seasoned cookware, but it will eventually break down the seasoning coat.

If you use it on cast iron that is not seasoned it will prevent the seasoning from building up.

The newer ultra degreaser formulas are the hardest (dishwasher det. is the worst) on the pan. If you really, really feel like you must use soap, use an eco-friendly one (they are less caustic) or an old standby like the original Dawn or Joy.

Without the layers of seasoning the pan can and will rust.

It can be used minimally on well seasoned cookware, but it will eventually break down the seasoning coat.

If you use it on cast iron that is not seasoned it will prevent the seasoning from building up.

The newer ultra degreaser formulas are the hardest (dishwasher det. is the worst) on the pan. If you really, really feel like you must use soap, use an eco-friendly one (they are less caustic) or an old standby like the original Dawn or Joy.

Without the layers of seasoning the pan can and will rust.

Thanks for the info. I always like to know why I should or shouldn't do something, LOL.