Menu

When you pray (CC)

OK, I am asking because I really want to know this and am not trying to start a debate about it. When you pray, what do you pray about?

I was raised Pentecostal, was Baptist for a small bit, and have been Catholic for 13 years. I know that there is no one way to pray, and I am certainly not suggesting that my way is the best way, the only way, etc. I would really like to hear how other Christians do this.

When I pray, I pray for the will of God to be done, both for myself and for others. I don't assume that I know all the time what the will of God is, or even that it will turn out to be something that I personally want to happen either. I just pray for the strength to handle things in my own life and for God's will to be done. Then I trust that the will of God will be the best thing, even if I don't understand it.

I am getting the feeling that some of the people in other threads assume that prayer is always asking for something (like applying to Santa Claus).

So how do you pray and what do you pray for?

Edited by Asenik

I offer praise, I confess my specific and general sins and repent, I thank the Lord for His abundant blessings (specifically), I then pray that I will acknowledge that the Lord's will is always done, and that my desires will be in-line with The Lord's.

I believe that the Bible teaches that prayer doesn't change God's mind, but that God changes ours to be in alignment with HIS sovereign will...it's a Calvinistic thing :) I'm a newer Calvinist (grew up more Arminian). I'm sure others could explain it a lot better than I!

Edited by BikeBookBread
more info

I too offer gratitude for His abundant blessings, both specific and non. I ask for His forgiveness, I ask for His help in whatever I may be seeking for myself or others, always acknowledging His will and asking for the strength to accept and follow it.

I usually pray for wisdom, self-control, and strength. I thank God for His blessings (specifically and generically), ask Him to look over/help/whatever whomever needs it at the time (specifically and generically), and ask for His protection over my family. Then I thank Him again for knowing all the things I forgot and finally, I sit quiet for a bit.

I think we're supposed to raise things up in prayer and we should ask for the things we want or need, but we have to acknowledge that God will do what's best.

Most of the time, it's prayers for others for safety, or health, or provision. I rarely pray for "things". If I need something, I do pray for God's provision, but I don't pray for specific things. For example, when I was shopping for a car, I prayed for wisdom to make a good choice, but I didn't pray for a specific make and model. In my own life, I've found that making my need known to Him and then resting in faith that He'll provide has been for more freeing than to ask for a specific thing.

I also pray for missionaries; that their work return good fruit, I pray for expectant moms for healthy and safe deliveries, I pray for those in spiritual turmoil for God to make Himself real to them and draw them. I pray for people on this and other message boards who ask for it. I pray for people in ambulances or people at the scene of accidents. I pray for my kids and their health, physical, emotional and spiritual. I pray for the leaders of this country; that God will grant them wisdom and courage to lead our country in a beneficial way. I pray for all kinds of issues. Prayer reminds us of our dependence on God; he's not a genie in a bottle and ultimately His will be done.

Well, here's the deal for me.

I pray for what I want.

He's my Father. Who am I kidding? He already knows my heart. I am completely honest with him, and I don't find it offensive to God to pour out that heart to him.

I've been down on my knees (metaphorically speaking--the ol' creakers don't go there easily), bawling my eyes out, screaming for mercy, begging my Daddy to...take away pain, heal my son, turn hearts of family members to him, make me change, forgive me, let me forgive someone else, stop what feels like punishment, protect someone---Yeah. It can get dramatic.

I don't want anyone to come away thinking that it's not ok to ask God specifically for what you want. The thing is, after I've gotten it all out, I also pray for God to help me accept what HE wants--I just don't go there directly, because he tells us to petition him, and knowing our frame, knows we often need to ask. That's what people in relationship do--

And then, I listen. Because prayer is a two-way street. It's not a Santa Claus thing--although the real Santa was a man of lovely obedience with a real relationship with God. I think God loves giving us what we ask for, because when he can, it's evidence that our wills are aligned. No better place to be, than in the center of God's will.

Oh, and I have to say, I don't believe everything that happens is what God really wants to happen, just what he allows to happen, and that he is constantly redeeming the poor choices we make, or the culminative effects of numerous sins on the way the world works. Often my prayer is for him to redeem a situation in some way.

I pray for what I want.

He's my Father. Who am I kidding? He already knows my heart. I am completely honest with him, and I don't find it offensive to God to pour out that heart to him.

I've been down on my knees (metaphorically speaking--the ol' creakers don't go there easily), bawling my eyes out, screaming for mercy, begging my Daddy to...take away pain, heal my son, turn hearts of family members to him, make me change, forgive me, let me forgive someone else, stop what feels like punishment, protect someone---Yeah. It can get dramatic.

I don't want anyone to come away thinking that it's not ok to ask God specifically for what you want. The thing is, after I've gotten it all out, I also pray for God to help me accept what HE wants--I just don't go there directly, because he tells us to petition him, and knowing our frame, knows we often need to ask. That's what people in relationship do--

And then, I listen. Because prayer is a two-way street. It's not a Santa Claus thing--although the real Santa was a man of lovely obedience with a real relationship with God. I think God loves giving us what we ask for, because when he can, it's evidence that our wills are aligned. No better place to be, than in the center of God's will.

Oh, and I have to say, I don't believe everything that happens is what God really wants to happen, just what he allows to happen, and that he is constantly redeeming the poor choices we make, or the culminative effects of numerous sins on the way the world works. Often my prayer is for him to redeem a situation in some way.

:iagree:

Very well put. You said it better than I could.:001_smile:

There is a way to pray. Jesus left us a model on how to pray to his (and our) father:

Our Father, who art in Heaven

Hallowed be Thy Name

(so we pray to the true God in Heaven, using His name, holding it holy. We should USE His Name)

Thy Kingdom Come

(so we pray for his Kingdom--probably helps to study up on what that Kingdom IS and what it will accomplish)

Thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven

(how is Heaven? The ultimate in peace? Safe? Secure? That WILL be done here on earth-Ps 37:10-11,29)

Give us this day our daily bread

(we trust you to give us what we need)

Forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us

(ask forgiveness for sinfulness and sin. Help us be as forgiving)

Bring us not unto temptation but deliver us from evil.

(pretty self explanatory)

Also, vs 7 (ch 6 of Matthew) warns us against a common popular way of praying. So we aren't just repeating the above or some other prayer, but having a heartfelt discussion with a personal father about these topics.

I think that it is important also to notice that God's Name being sanctified and God's Kingdom come first. That really will give us all the desires of our hearts. I can't wait.

Anyway....

I often start off asking God what He wants me to pray for and for scripture to lead me. I pray back God's Word. I do get specific. I tend to pray prayers that I will recognize the answer to when I see it. While I do pray "help me, Lord", I try to get specific with what kind of help I need. Specific prayers that bring specific answers bring glory to Him when I tell others of them. The longer I've gone along with God the more specific I get and the more I am able to discern His will in situations, then I feel I see many more answers to prayer.

Andrew Murray talks much of this in his books on prayer: the need to be specific and the fact that we can know the heart of God and what He wants us to pray.

I pray for what I want.

:iagree:

I am learning how to pray by praying the prayers written down by people who have lived holy lives. I figure they know better than I what prayer is about so by praying the prayers they prayed, I learn how to pray.

These prayers have a lot more about repentance, request for forgiveness, protection from temptation, requests for the virtues than my own prayers have had over the years, and so it is a bit of an eye opener--and I hope, a soul-changer. The prayers have a lot less to do with telling God what I want than asking God to help me be what HE wants.

As I learn the prayers BY heart, I am starting to be able to take them TO heart.

Thank you for posting this, Patty! It is more true that I ever thought possible. Little did I know that my so-called prayer life was more the meandering of a self-centered and lazy rambler! :) Praying the daily prayers has changed me immeasurably.

When I pray, I pray for the will of God to be done, both for myself and for others. I don't assume that I know all the time what the will of God is, or even that it will turn out to be something that I personally want to happen either. I just pray for the strength to handle things in my own life and for God's will to be done. Then I trust that the will of God will be the best thing, even if I don't understand it.

I am not Christian but I pray. Your prayer seems very pure to me and I love the way you express it. I think its the best prayer, myself.

I do pray for healing for others, understanding, peace, wisdom....and i have prayed when I thought I might miscarry for both pregnancies (after miscarriages before my first)- so that is asking for something for myself although it was also a promise I would be a good mother.

I think prayer can be done on all sorts of levels. Asking for "things" can help one realise the abundance of the universe/God. There is power in wishing and being focused on something you want. But I love your prayer and I think its the highest form of prayer.

3/4 of it is thanfulness for a variety of both general and specific things. The other quarter is for health, safety, and to help make me a better person. I know that I should be asking for forgiveness more, but I only really seem to do that when something is weighing on me and I feel like I have done something wrong. I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not, and I have been praying about that too (asking, is this the right thing to do)

Once I am finished with what I feel is my formal, reverent prayers, I will often feel like I am kicking my feet up and having a chit chat with my best friend/father. (Hi! How are you? Gosh, what a day, don't you think? Wasn't that so gosh darn cute when DD did this? (interjected with a thank you for great kids). What did you think of this thing that happened? It made me feel this way and, you know, I think it would be really great if you can be with this person as they are dealing with this.) Typically when I do this more casual, comfort prayer, I end up falling asleep. I used to feel guilty about it, but someone once said to me "How do you feel when your baby falls asleep in your arms? Are you upset by it? Feel slighted or offended? Of course not! Your heart glows and love pours from your heart into that baby." So, all in all, I am the baby at night time when I am having my casual chat going to sleep.

Just wanted to thank everyone who has responded. There is a lot of really good info here and a lot to think about! It has been really interesting for me to see how other people have defined prayer for themselves and what their beliefs and experiences are with it.

I have also tried to make an effort to be more grateful, and I guess I wasn't really considering that prayer, but I am now thinking that it really is a form of prayer. So I think I have learned something new.

So thank you so much for sharing!

ETA: Oh, and if I say I am praying for you, I really do pray for you! But after the first time I do that (while I am reading the request), I am more apt to pray for God to give you strength, peace and well-being than to be really specific! I honestly don't have a problem with myself or anyone else praying for specific things or even asking for things, but that just isn't how my prayers seem to flow, for the most part.

Edited by Asenik

Guest janainaz

My prayers are kind of in my head and heart all day and they aren't really words anymore. If prayer is relationship with God, it's not a one-time, sit down, pour it out kind of thing to me. It's a constant awareness of God in me all day every day. It does not go away and I don't need words to express what my heart is feeling or needing. My prayers have changed a lot over the years and I don't find myself asking for things, but rather desiring to be able to love more and to trust God more. I believe every true need I have is rooted in those two things.

We were part of a small group for a while and when it came time to pray, I just felt like people were muttering stuff off and asking for prayer like they were reaching for something to pray for - it felt awkward. I think most true and real prayer comes from deep within our hearts and it does not always have words.

Mostly I pray for God's will to be done and that he'd show me what part he wants me to play in doing His will.

And sometimes when I want to pray and don't really have anything specific that I'm thinking about, I follow the prayer that Jesus taught his disciples (when they asked him how to pray), you know "Our Father, who art in heaven..." But I don't just say those words. Instead I use it as an outline of what to pray and I consider the meanings of the words as I'm thinking Jesus meant us to do when he taught the disciples.

Example:

"Our": think about how He loves us all, so we need to remember to love each other as brothers and sisters, too.

"Father": think about how he's a good father that loves us and provides for us.

"Who art in heaven": think about how he's above all our problems, on his throne, in control...etc.

And while I thinking of the meaning of those words, I'll add my own. Like in the "hallowed be thy name" part, I would stop and give his name praise in my own words. And in the "thy will be done" part, then I would probably ask for help in doing his will.

And so forth. You get it.

Prayer is so precious to me. First and foremost praises for what he has given me. I pray for Gods will to be done, to give me the patience and discernment that I need during my trials and tribulations. I pray a lot for others and their healing, or circumstance.

I pray for people who are mean to me that someday God will open their heart and they will be free of Satans grips. I do also pray for specific situation as needed.

As someone else said, he is my father, he would not have given up his only son for me if he thought I wasn't worthy enough for it. It did take me a while to get to that point. But no it isn't a wish list... I do not regularly pray for "things" as I know God has his own plan. If so I would be praying for the powerball win all of the time :)