Menu

Pls tell me about how you spend mom free time!

I'd love to hear from others about how you spend an hour or two of free time if you ever have some. I'm talking about the kind of free time where you will not have kid interruptions - either you go out and DH stays home with the kids or the kids go to someone else's house (aunt, friend, grandma).

I'm yearning for a little free time and I know DH will help with this but I usually have to leave home to enjoy some time to myself. I'm curious if you find yourself needing quality "free time" and, if you do, how you spend it. Thanks!

Edited by Manamana

free time is limited to reading or tv for about an hour a night...when I don't have a ton of grading. I do have 5 dc in school, though, so I am a bit busier than you. When I only had 2, I would go to the library with a nice drink and curl up to a good book, or just go sit with a gf over some wine or coffee and chat.

Now, my free time is summer only :( I spend entirely too much time on the computer and reading...generally L A Z Y

Dh and I used to "fake shop" by walking through a store and trying on stuff or filling up our cart. Then we'd walk away. Made for some fun!

Hang out here.

Go shopping, even if I am not buying anything.

Go to the book store.

Go sit by water, at a park by a creek etc.

I have even been know to sit in my car and listen to music, especially if I just got home and haven't got out of the car yet, but don't want to go inside.

Take my self out to eat and eating in my car to enjoy the absence of other people.

Go to the Saturday Farmers Market.

Go for a walk in the park blocks of Portland.

I used to love going for a drive before I started driving 2-3 hours a day driving kids around.

Reading, knitting, embroidery (all kinds), sewing. I also have a pile of embroidery waiting to be made into ornaments. If I have a block of time, I work on finishing the embroidery into ornaments. I don't have a lot of time between homeschooling, activities, househould stuff, and working.

I have free time in the evenings when my littles are all tucked in bed, then I spend time reading lots of great books (we dont have cable or satelite) or I spend the time trying out new recipes by cooking/baking. Sometimes in the hot summer months my husband and I will sit out on our old farmhouse porch and listen to the night noises of the crickets chirping and just talk about our day and reconnect over glasses of lemonade.

I am known to stay up late into the night making a new delicious concoction I found in some cookbook I was pouring over during the day. Cooking/Baking makes me feel so good and I enjoy having my family wake up to fresh homemade muffins, pies, cakes, cookies, breads or pastries on the table. I don't have the time during the day because of devoting it to homeschooling to make all these wonderful goodies, so my evenings alone are when I enjoy doing it. I also love using my "me time" to try out some new dinner recipes that I can cook up and freeze for a day when I am busy and have no time for cooking. Cooking/Baking makes me feel so peaceful and happy, it is one of my favorite "me things" to do. I remember many times as a child, with my old italian grandmother, waking up in the mornings to fresh italian pastries and goodies because she baked while we slept. I would dream during the nights about those goodies, since the wonderful aromas would waft up into our rooms above. I wanted to re-create these same wonderful childhood memories with my own children, who can't wait to jump out of bed and race to the table for a delicious homemade breakfast.

Other then that, once a week in the evening my husband watches our littles and I head out "on the town" to hit the thrift stores or Goodwill shops in our area. I love to find all kinds of baking/cooking supplies at bargain prices, clothing for my family, linens, tablecloths, sheets, household supplies, books for our home library, learning videos and games for cheap.

I also love to go to library book sales that our local libraries put on once or twice a year in the spring and fall. Since we have so many libraries in our local area, I can hit one a weekend throughout the spring and fall months. These booksales allow me to pick up excellent reading books and homeschooling books for as little as 25 to 50 cents each, it saves me a small fortune and I found that praying for a specific book before going, helps me to find that exact book that I was searching for. I am always blessed with my book bargains ! I make my lists of wants and needs in books and then head out armed with bags to collect my treasures. I like to do this on my own without my little ones, because I can spend a long time browsing and really picking out the treasured books carefully.

I try to fill my "me time" up with things I really enjoy doing. This time helps me so much to stay peaceful and content and it so blesses my family by allowing me to be a better mother and wife to them.

"Me time" is very important, find something you enjoy doing and do it to the best of your ability, you will be blessed for it !

I play on the computer, go to the bookstore, get a latte, go shopping, knit, read...things like that. My dh lets me go out several times a week, and I also have rest time and after-kids-are-in-bed-time that is all blissfully "me" time or "dh and me" time.

Reading, usually. When dh and I get time together, we like to go check out antique shops. My dh is really good about making sure I get some time to myself in the evenings. He doesn't mind that I put my face in a book and veg on the couch for an hour or two. I love my man!

My what? Free time? Naw, I don't have any of that. I work shift work so that keeps me away from them plenty. For things that I do on my own, I love to try to make something grow in the clay that is my soil, try to keep my ancient car running, and do projects around the house such as painting or installing hardwood flooring. I invite the kids to join me on these, but work + kids = alone time around here unless I am requiring forced labor.

Free time! The BEST free time is at-home free time. It's so rare that I'm home alone without the kids with me.

If it's unexpected free time at home, I usually spend the first 10 minutes wandering around the house trying to figure out what to do.

But this morning I had a whole unexpected 55 minutes to myself, so I just sat on a chair and read a book. What a luxury!

I love to go horseback riding. I have been going out early on Sunday mornings for a quick (about 20-30 minute) ride. I love to go out riding with friends. I ride with my girls 5-6 days a week but riding out with adults and no kids is wonderful.

Staring at a wall in shock. Mostly that is how I spend any free time I may have. Hopefully the wall will be a mostly clean one or I might have vague stirrings of discomfort, wondering if it would be worth the effort to clean it so I could stare at a clean wall.

Oh, yeah, and sometimes I hang out here.;)

I am quite the homebody, so mom-time is normally reading a book or researching something online. I do occassionally like to play a computer game or something.

I am not a big fan of "ME TIME"....I figure I'll have plenty of that when the kids are all gone from home and I'll be wishing for some interruptions.

I'd love to hear from others about how you spend an hour or two of free time if you ever have some. I'm talking about the kind of free time where you will not have kid interruptions - either you go out and DH stays home with the kids or the kids go to someone else's house (aunt, friend, grandma).

I'm yearning for a little free time and I know DH will help with this but I usually have to leave home to enjoy some time to myself. I'm curious if you find yourself needing quality "free time" and, if you do, how you spend it. Thanks!

My free time is generally after ds is in bed. Dh will unwind playing a computer game or reading. I read. I need something to take my mind completely away from the demands of the day.