Menu

your favorite gluten-free substitution/product?

Betty Crocker now has a gluten free line that they have recently released. You can find all 4 varieties - brownies, cookies, cake and something else, in with the other baked goods mixes at the grocery store.

Other mixes we use that I can think of at the moment are Kinnikinnick's pancake mix and The Cravings Place cornbread mix.

Lisa

Namaste spice cake is awesome! We often change it up by adding grated carrots and raisins, apples and walnuts, bananas and pecans, or any combination! You can find the mix at Whole Foods, or order by the case from Amazon.

I second Greta's suggestion of coconut flour. We use it in everything from baked goods to smoothies. If you use it for baking, you'll need a little extra liquid to keep the consistency the same.

One of my favorite websites for recipes is the Gluten Free Goddess.

Special Diets for Special Kids 2--I have it from the library & just placed an Amazon order for my own copy. Some of the recipes are so good, I use them even when we don't need to be wheat-free.

Rice flour. I think white rice flour was the most normal-tasting & versatile thing we tried, & (for me) the most encouraging for keeping trying. If that makes grammatical sense. lol wiggly baby in lap.eyshs

Go to http://www.tacanow.org and look for "10 days to gluten-free"

A great book: http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Friendly-Autism-Cookbook-Updated-Revised/dp/159233394X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247687396&sr=8-1

Foods:

Van's GFCF waffles

Pamela's Baking Mix (contains dairy)

Bell and Evans GF Chicken Nuggets

Dr. Praeger's Potato-crusted Fish

Alpha Tots

Applegate Farms French Fries

Kinnickinnick products

Bette Hagman's flour blend (Google for recipe)

Watch for hidden sources of gluten in toothpaste, shampoo, medicines, Playdoh, etc.

If you have a specific item you're looking for, let us know. Someone here will have an idea!

Lisa

Go to www.tacanow.org and look for "10 days to gluten-free"

A great book: http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Friendly-Autism-Cookbook-Updated-Revised/dp/159233394X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247687396&sr=8-1

Foods:

Van's GFCF waffles

Pamela's Baking Mix (contains dairy)

Bell and Evans GF Chicken Nuggets

Dr. Praeger's Potato-crusted Fish

Alpha Tots

Applegate Farms French Fries

Kinnickinnick products

Bette Hagman's flour blend (Google for recipe)

Watch for hidden sources of gluten in toothpaste, shampoo, medicines, Playdoh, etc.

If you have a specific item you're looking for, let us know. Someone here will have an idea!

Lisa

Actually I'm doing this for me, though I don't mind including my kids in it (would certainly make it easier!). Thanks for your suggestions!

We had some visitors at church Sunday who had gluten and dairy issues, poor things.

I made rice pudding with coconut milk instead of cow's milk, and everyone loved it (of course, this is the South, where rice pudding is more common, lol). I made potato salad with mayo I made myself using Bragg's vinegar, because Bragg's, unlike other vinegar, does not have gluten. I made gluten-free cornbread (the brand was, um, Red Mill?? dang...I'll have to look that up), using nut milk instead of cow's milk. That was also a hit. And I bought "Enjoy Life" brand Snickerdoodles, and everyone like those, too.

Coconut milk, nut milks (some rice milk has gluten), and Bragg's vinegar are all good to have on hand. Some vanilla extract has gluten; I haven't found any locally so I'm going to look on-line (probably someone gave me that link last week when I asked about other gluten-free stuff; I'll have to go look for that!) but I think you could use vanilla bean if you really needed that flavor (that's what I used in my rice pudding).

Watch out for seasonings that have "hydrolized vegetable protein" or MSG in them. Gluten.

My husband has had celiac sprue for about 10 years. After years of experimenting with different flour combinations, a happy accident with my 5 yo produced our best: 1/2 oat flour, 1/2 rice, with a little xantham gum thrown in (I think 1/2 tsp per cup of flour in a recipe). You can substitute one for one with your favorite recipes.

You can buy gluten-free oats through Bob's Red Mill if your worried about cross-contamination. My husband is extremely sensitive to gluten, getting sick pretty much immediately if he gets "poisoned," and he has never gotten sick from regular rolled oats. We just buy rolled oats in bulk at the co-op and grind in a mill with brown rice. We usually put it through 2 times.

Good luck!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(1)

My can't-live-without GF product is Gluten-Free Pantry's Beth's All-Purpose Flour. I don't do much baking, but we make lots of other things with it, like fried chicken. When you use it, it subsitutes 1 for 1 to regular flour, so you don't have to stop and work a bunch of math to figure out how much to use. The texture is not grainy like many GF flours.

I've been making my dh bread using a mix from Gluten Free Pantry. It's available at our local Wal-Mart and Meijer as well as through Amazon. (But I purchase through a local co-op and save a few $$.)

Wal-Mart has a small section of gluten-free products--not cheap, but they have allowed my dh to enjoy things like spaghetti again.

Gluten-free Cassein-free pizza: (at least no cowmilk cassein)

Crust:

1/4 cup potato starch

1/4 cup potato flour

3/4 corn starch

1 table spoon xanthan gum

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup shortening

(I leave out the yeast. Don't need it.)

Mix in an electric mixer while adding goat milk until texture is right for spreading (about 1 1/4 cups)

Grease pan with vegtable oil. Spreads easily without flour or grease on hands. (Of course, it takes practice to get it right.)

Once spread, cook the crust until it is just slightly brown. Then remove from oven and add sauce and topping.

Sauce:

Tomato paste

honey, garlic powder, onion bits, basil, oregano, thyme, mustard, rosemary (keep tasting until it is how you like it)

add pineapple-Orange juice (until the thickness is how you like it)

(You can simmer the sauce, but the flavor will weaken.)

Toppings:

Shredded goat chesse (preferrably different flavors)

broiled mushrooms

sausage

diced peppers

Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is melted.

Namaste spice cake is awesome!

*love* Namaste spice cake mix and GF Pantry Spice cake mix (I make that one into gingerbread.

Namaste Blondie Mix a lot.....usually with chocolate chips.

GF Pantry brownies - omg 8x8 pan

1,2,3 Gluten Free - 9x13 pan....best brownies in the *world*.

Fwiw, imo, gf brownies are better than 'regular' brownies. I make them all the time and no one knows. Everyone loves them.

I also make pumpkin brownies around thanksgiving. Again, people are begging for more.

Meringues are also super easy to make.....add chocolate chips:)

Living Without is a great magazine that is dedicated to those who can't have gluten (celiac disease).

They are the best source for evidence based gluten free info. They are the ones that were finally (mostly) successful in debunking the myth that vinegar has gluten. It doesn't (except for some flavored vinegar and malt vinegar)......white vinegar is GF. wine vinegar? GF.

I made potato salad with mayo I made myself using Bragg's vinegar, because Bragg's, unlike other vinegar, does not have gluten.

See above. I guess the myth still persists:) Kraft mayo is GF. Helmann's is GF. In fact all brands I can think of are GF. All plain vinegar varieties are GF.

Vanilla is always GF now too. At least the real stuff is - regardless of the source of the alcohol.

Hydrolized veg protein may or may not be gluten. Labeling laws now require that wheat/products sourced from wheat be disclosed on labels.

Watch out for seasonings that have "hydrolized vegetable protein" or MSG in them. Gluten.

My husband is extremely sensitive to gluten, getting sick pretty much immediately if he gets "poisoned," and he has never gotten sick from regular rolled oats. We just buy rolled oats in bulk at the co-op and grind in a mill with brown rice.

Second that. The data shows that oats are tolerable, tolerated and that results of serological assays do not change when oats are consumed - even though there is the theoretical risk of cross contamination.

My can't-live-without GF product is Gluten-Free Pantry's Beth's All-Purpose Flour. I don't do much baking, but we make lots of other things with it, like fried chicken. When you use it, it subsitutes 1 for 1 to regular flour, so you don't have to stop and work a bunch of math to figure out how much to use. The texture is not grainy like many GF flours.

When you have baked with it, how did it do?

Tinkyada Rice Pasta is really terrific. A must have. I like it better than wheat and guests have never even noticed. Other rice pastas aren't a substitute (not good by and large) but this one is usually available wherever gluten free stuff is sold.

I think when easing into a gluten free diet it's easier if you avoid baked goods for a while. Use things that are naturally gluten free--corn tortillas, rice dishes, potatoes, pastas using Tinkyada, etc. I think it takes some forgetting what gluten is like (mouth feel even more than taste) before you really enjoy gluten free baked goods.

The gluten free goddess website has lots of great information on cooking and baking gluten free and recipes.

Millet flour and teff flour are nice flours. Millet for pancakes, teff has a nice desserty flavor, tastes a bit like chocolate! (Very nice for a while when I could not eat chocolate, I can now have chocolate again, though:001_smile:)

I also like rice flour and rice milk for lighter foods, but oat milk tastes best in coffee and oat flour for heavier sauces...you may have to check for gluten in the oat flours and oat millk, I have food allergies, but not gluten, although I do have a mild allergy to wheat and do limit wheat.

Millet flour and teff flour are nice flours. Millet for pancakes, teff has a nice desserty flavor, tastes a bit like chocolate! (Very nice for a while when I could not eat chocolate, I can now have chocolate again, though:001_smile:)

I also like rice flour and rice milk for lighter foods, but oat milk tastes best in coffee and oat flour for heavier sauces...you may have to check for gluten in the oat flours and oat millk, I have food allergies, but not gluten, although I do have a mild allergy to wheat and do limit wheat.

I have heard of teff...what do you like it in?

My fave gluten free flour blend is 1:3 mix any starch (corn, arrowroot, tapioca starch, potato starch) and the three being a mix of millet, brown rice, white rice or really anything light and basic. sorghum is good too . Occasionally of the 'three' part mix, i'll sub out 1/4 cup for teff or mesquite (depending on what I'm making).

Whole grade teff from Bob's comes with the best recipes on the back for Teff Pudding and and a porridge-y thing. They are both yum. I love them, the kids love them.

I disagree with the person who said to 'avoid baked goods for awhile". It's only GF bread that might best be avoided for awhile (with the exception of the Ener-G tapioca dinner rolls and the other best things:

Chebe (CHEE-bee)

I can't believe i almost forgot about Chebe. It's the best. Seriously. The best. The original ones with cheese? O.M.G. But if you can't do dairy? No problem.....all of them are good. Super easy to make. Great dough. The kids can do it on their own. Only key thing to remember is to make the diameter small enough so that they cook in the middle. If they are too large/thick, they're really gummy in the middle.

Anyhoo, the tollhouse recipe makes the best GF chocolate chip cookies - just add a tsp of xanthan gum. IME, xanthan gum is more effective if added *while blending* wet ingred in the blender (in this case, eggs, vanilla), but if that's too much of a hassle, just make as normal and have xanthan with the dry.

Use any baked goods recipe you normally do, just skip bread/pizza crust. Pie crust won't be flaky but will taste totally fine. All bars, cookies, muffins, crumbles, buckles, coffee cakes will be great (just don't use bean flours - ick....and i loooove beans).

:)

Katherine