Menu

What is oak tag?

I'd be so irritated by this that I would say, "we had no idea what Oak Tag was, so we were unable to purchase it"....but, I'm in a mood this morning.

Why do names of things keep changing? They used to be called pipe cleaners, then Martha Stewart insisted on calling them Chenille Stems. Playpens are now called Pack 'n Plays, of all things. WHY?! :confused:

I feel old. :001_huh:

Okay, I can answer the playpen/pack and play thing.

What used to be called playpens, were larger square things, that usually didn't get moved too often.

Pack and plays were the new playpens that were smaller, and more portable and packable. So that one sort of makes sense. The old playpens weren't something you could easily put into a car and take with you someplace.

But you are right. Some lables are just thrown on things to make them cost more.

I'd be so irritated by this that I would say, "we had no idea what Oak Tag was, so we were unable to purchase it"....but, I'm in a mood this morning.

Why do names of things keep changing? They used to be called pipe cleaners, then Martha Stewart insisted on calling them Chenille Stems. Playpens are now called Pack 'n Plays, of all things. WHY?! :confused:

Well, "Pack n Play" was the name given by the Graco company to their smaller playpens. They were the only ones for awhile, and the brand became a household word. Much like "Kleenex" became the word for tissue, "Bandaid" became the word for adhesive bandage, and "Xerox" became the name for photocopy.

As for "chenille stems", I believe that was a politically correct thing. What mom would want her children playing with smoking paraphernalia? Or, what right-thinking crafter would use such disgusting items in her creations? Silly, I know, but I think that's where it came from.

Now, the "oak tag" thing stumps me. I've never heard of it. I've heard of "tag board", which is the stiff card stuff used behind paper tablets, and as filler inside picture frames. I don't know what "oak tag" is.

Playpens are now called Pack 'n Plays, of all things. WHY?! :confused:

In our family we've always called them playjails. And I still use pipe cleaner, but when planning VBS last year, I said that and the younger ladies had no idea what I was talking about.

side-note: I found an old book "cup and saucer chemistry" at my parents' house and brought it home for my boys. We found a neat experiement to try, but I need to go buy some cigarettes (who knew they were LOCKED up in the store). The directions for the experiment are "before your mother empties the ashtrays tonight, . . ."

Thank you for the answers, and for asking the question in the first place. I have a book that you make games from, and a game or two in there needs an "oak tag" to make a spinner out of. I had no idea what that was, either! I thought it was odd to consider a piece of wood for a game spinner.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember oak tag, cellophane tape (the girl I asked at the store for this just looked at me blankly), and tin foil!

Yes, I remember oak tag, cellophane tape and tin foil from my younger years. I didn't even know that pipe cleaners had become chenille wire! When did that happen?

Some of it has to do with trademarks.

Pack n' Play is a Graco TM. Playpen is the generic name.

Like Kleenex is to facial tissue.

In my working days (before Martha Stewart's boom) I was an editor for a craft magazine and we had to call them chenille stems, because that is the generic name.

I remember when I was a kid, I had friends that lived on dead end streets. Now those same roads are called cul de sacs. Lah di dah! I think at least that and chenille stems are an attempt to make it sound fancier/better.

Woolybear

Well you have to understand Woolybear, if they live at a "dead end" their self-esteem may not be able to handle it.

I remember when I was a kid, I had friends that lived on dead end streets. Now those same roads are called cul de sacs. Lah di dah! I think at least that and chenille stems are an attempt to make it sound fancier/better.

Woolybear

Um, no, dead ends are still dead ends. You're driving along and the road stops abruptly in front of you. Cul de sacs are enlarged and rounded at the end, and are usually marked with a "no outlet" rather than "dead end" sign - you can turn around without doing a 37-point turn. ;)

Yum :D

Oh.Yeah.

Oak Tag is "old school"! Whoever wrote the list is probably older than you! :lol:

That's what they called it when I was in elem. school in the early 1970s. In our case, it referred to that light-brown paper (oak-colored, maybe?) that came on a huge roll. A little like butcher paper, only less waterproof and heavier weight.

I remember the dampness that someone else pointed out. When did they stop calling them dittos?

Ah yes. We called them "rexographs". Why? No idea. Then later on we called them "ditto sheets". I'd recognize that smell anywhere.

And I still call it "oak tag" :blushing: . We were using some for a project when dd was in school and she had no idea what I was talking about - neither did the craft store folks. It is called "poster board" now.

Hey, I also remember that "conditioner" was called "creme rinse"...

As for "chenille stems", I believe that was a politically correct thing. What mom would want her children playing with smoking paraphernalia? Or, what right-thinking crafter would use such disgusting items in her creations? Silly, I know, but I think that's where it came from.

I bought some pipe cleaners for a craft (along with felt, beads, Tacky Glue, etc) and the cashier started laughing when the cash register asked for ID! Apparently you have to be 18 to by anything to do with smoking, not just the cigarettes.

I always thought chenille stems were the fluffier, colorful, expensive ones at Joann's and pipe cleaners were the cheaper, white ones in the yellow box.

I remember the dampness that someone else pointed out. When did they stop calling them dittos?

We stopped calling them dittos when the school bought a Xerox machine and we started calling them Xeroxes. The dc don't get that one either.

Agreeing that 'dead end street' is still a term in use today. It is NOT the same thing as a cul-de-sac.

We live on a dead end street. The side street has a cul-de-sac. Completely different.

Here's another one:

We used to call them pajamas. I have heard new moms say, "I usually put him in a Sleep 'N Play after dinner and put him to bed." It just seems to odd that they aren't called pajamas anymore.

I understand the whole "Pack 'N Play" means portability, but I REFUSE to call them that.

We say:

playpen

pajamas

pipe cleaners

poster board

tissue

I woke up in a better mood today, but I stand by my cranky choice of vocabulary. :tongue_smilie:

Agreeing that 'dead end street' is still a term in use today. It is NOT the same thing as a cul-de-sac.

We live on a dead end street. The side street has a cul-de-sac. Completely different.

Here's another one:

We used to call them pajamas. I have heard new moms say, "I usually put him in a Sleep 'N Play after dinner and put him to bed." It just seems to odd that they aren't called pajamas anymore.

I understand the whole "Pack 'N Play" means portability, but I REFUSE to call them that.

We say:

playpen

pajamas

pipe cleaners

poster board

tissue

I woke up in a better mood today, but I stand by my cranky choice of vocabulary. :tongue_smilie:

Is this the infant version of the smoking jacket, or lounge clothes? Are new moms living in a 1940s movie? :001_huh:

Okay, I stand corrected. I guess I never heard the word cul de sac till I grew up and I thought it was a replacement for dead end street.

And pajamas are definitely still pajamas here. Though occasionally they are jammies or pjs.

Woolybear

Is this the infant version of the smoking jacket, or lounge clothes? Are new moms living in a 1940s movie? :001_huh:

ROFL!!! :lol:

That's about as funny as the newborn clothes with pockets! I laugh everytime I see those! I used to ask my husband, "what is she gonna put in there? She lacks the fine motor control with which to use it!"

We called them "Cracker Pockets". (as in "a pocket for your cracker")

When they started using those new-fangled Xerox machines.

(Whoops. I posted before I read everyone else's replies. In The Great White North and I were on the same Xeroxed page, apparently.)

Edited by Nicole M