Menu

Favorite spinach recipes?

Especially main dish, meat-free ones?

Too tired and grumpy to scour my cookbooks this week :o

PS: it's fresh spinach, but I can probably figure out what to do if your recipe calls for frzn.

Honestly, my favorite way to eat spinach is in soup. Cook a simple vegetable soup -- tomatoes, beans, a potato or two, onions, carrots, celery, whatever you like, then when you're finishing it up, put in cut up spinach in the last 5-10 minutes, just enough to wilt it good. Top it with some cheese and call it supper.

Spinach Enchiladas!

You'll need:

corn tortillas

spinach

cream

verde sauce

grated monterey jack cheese (split)

onions

garlic, 5-6 cloves

lemon or lime juice (just a splash)

First, roast the garlic in the oven but if you're pressed for time you can chop it up and cook it with the onions.

Second, cook the onions (and possibly garlic) in a little olive oil until onions are translucent. Add the spinach and lemon/lime juice and allow it to wilt a bit. If you roasted your garlic, squeeze it into the spinach mixture now.

Mix the cream and verde sauce: 2 parts verde sauce to 1 part cream.

Steam the tortillas then dip in the sauce mixture. Fill each one with some cheese and spinach mixture. Roll and place in pan, seam side down (I use 7x11 pans because they are the perfect size). Cover with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake at 375 degrees until sauce is nice and bubbly (usually about 20-25 minutes).

Spinach Pasta

12-16 oz pasta

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbs olive oil

2 tbs. flour

2 cups milk or cream

4 cups spinach, finely chopped

1/4 cup (or more) grated Parmesan

Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook pasta.

Saute garlic in olive oil 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour, mix well, and cook for another 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and slowly add in the milk/cream, stirring constantly. Let sauce simmer until it begins to thicken.

Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and stir in the Parmesan. Mix the sauce and pasta together. Season to taste.

None of my favorites are main-dish recipes, except for mixing in spinach with the ricotta or with the tomato sauce in a lasagna or baked ziti. My other recipes are spinach souffle (no spelling looks rights!!!), sauted spinach and portobello mushrooms (lots of basalmic vin and evoo, s&p to taste), or cooked spinach mixed with fresh mashed potatoes. I love spinach!

I don't have any recipes, but I've got ideas you could search on allrecipes.com.

Is it Quiche Lorraine that has spinach? Whichever one it is, I like that.

Pizza with spinach, mushrooms, artichokes, a white cheese, and a white sauce

Spinach and ricotta stuffed pasta shells

Spinach artichoke cheese dip - my favorite

Spinach feta bread - Great Harvest bread company makes this and it is out of this world! I bet there's a copycat recipe out there somewhere.

Guest Lorna

Spinach and feta filo pastries

Mix cooked and well drained spinach with a block of feta cheese, a little olive oil, some chopped mint and freshly ground black pepper.

Slice defrosted filo pastry sheets lengthwise. Put a spoonful of the mix into one corner of the pastry. Fold over to make a triangle shape. Keep folding over keeping the triangle shape (you can do any shape you like really).

Wet the ends to seal.

Place the finished parcels on a baking tray, brush with olive oil and bake hot until the pastry is golden brown. Eat hot or cold.

I love Spinach Quiche~ It is so easy.. No Crust

6 eggs

some milk @ a cup (Mix with eggs in a cup)

pinch of salt

few dashes of nutmeg

a few handfuls of fresh spinach

1/2 cup onion

some crispy bacon or ham (optional)

1 cup of your favorite cheese

a few pats of butter

Just toss everything in a buttered pie plate and bake at 375'-400' until set. Avg. 45 minutes to an hour.

We like this rice dish:

Spinach Bake:

8 ounces Frozen spinach

1 cup cooked rice

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/3 cup milk

2 eggs, slightly beaten

2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

2 teaspoons onion, chopped

1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Grease dish, combine all ingredients and pour into dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Not large enough for a main meal but 'spinach eggs' make a nice lunch.

Wilt some spinach with some minced onion in a saute pan ( I pulse up an entire onion in my food processor and freeze it in ice-cube trays. It's handy to toss one or two into a recipe as needed). When the spinach is fairly wilted add either a sprinkle of parmesan or some crumbles of feta cheese and stir it in. Make a well in the centre of the spinach and add an egg. Sprinkle with pepper, cover and cook until the egg is done.

1.5 lbs spinach, washed

1 lg sweet potato, peeled and cubed

1 tsp. sweet paprika

1 tsp. cumin seeds, crushed (or use ground)

1/4 tsp nutmeg

salt/ground pepper

2 tsp. mustard oil (or use olive oil and add 1 tsp whole mustard seeds)

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (or add a dash of cayenne)

1 tsp fresh lemon juice.

Steam sweet potato. Transfer to a bowl and add spices. Heat oil, add hot pepper, sizzle 10 seconds, add spinach (it should still be a bit wet when you add it). Cook 1/2 mins. or unti heated. Toss with the potatoes. Sprinkle with lemon and serve. If your family isn't in to the heat of the hot pepper, eliminate it and add about 4 cloves of crushed garlic instead at the same stage -- cooking gently until garlic is transluscent.

Doran

(this is not vegetarian) This recipe is from Threadgill's restaurant in Austin, Texas. It makes a huge quantity, so I usually freeze some of it. After baking - I spoon 4 servings into quart-size freezer bags. Then when I want to serve, I let it defrost in the fridge for a day, spoon it into a microwave dish and reheat. It's just as good as the first time around.

55 min | 25 min prep | SERVES 16

5 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach

2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup

1 lb bacon

salt and pepper

3/4 cup butter, melted (1 and 1/2 sticks)

1 1/2 cups onions, chopped

2 (4 ounce) cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained

1 lb swiss cheese, grated

4 lemons, juice of

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Cook frozen spinach as package directs and drain well.

3. Fry the bacon very crisp, then remove from the pan and crumble. Drain most of the fat, reserving a tablespoon or so in the pan. Saute the onions until soft in this reserved bacon fat.

4. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.

5. Put into a large casserole dish (9x13). Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350.

Threadgill's Spinach Casserole

(this one is vegetarian) This is a yummy way to eat spinach - even my kids will eat it. It is adapted from the "Fix it & Forget it" cookbook.

4¼ hours | 10 min prep | SERVES 8

3 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach (thawed and drained)

2 cups cottage cheese

1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

3 eggs

1/4 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.

2. Pour into crock pot.

3. Cook on High 1 hour. Reduce heat to Low and cook 3 more hours.

Crock Pot Spinach Special

Someone brought this to me when I had my twins and we've been making it ever since

Vegetable Lasagna

1 package lasagna noodles, cooked al dente

16 oz ricotta or cottage cheese

28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes

1/2 onion, finely chopped

1 cup parmesan cheese

2 cups shredded mozzerrella cheese

2 cups shredded carrots

1 box frozen spinach or 2-3 bunches fresh lightly sauteed

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Combine tomatoes, carrrots and onions in one bowl

Combine ricotta, parmesan, salt and pepper in another bowl

Layer in 13x9 pan

tomato sauce

noodles

cheese mixture

spinach

mozzerrella cheese

Repeat (I usually get 3 layers out of it)

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour

Squeeze out spinach if using frozen and put in separate bowl

I learned this recipe for highschool french. Fat lot of good the class did me, but at least I got this recipe out of it!

2 pounds spinach, stripped of stems and chopped very coarsely

Make a mound of 1/2 cup of flour with a well in the middle. Add salt and pepper and a dash of nutmeg.

Crack 3 eggs into the well.

Add 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces, into the well.

Add 1 cup farmer's cheese or ricotta (in a pinch) into the well.

Add 3/4 cup whipping cream into the well.

With your hands, make a paste of the above ingredients. Then coat the spinach with the mixture and place in a buttered gratin dish. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Sometimes I top with panko or bread crumbs or parmesan cheese (this last, I do with the ricotta because the ricotta isn't as strongly flavored as the farmer's cheese)

I've had several non-spinach eaters come back for more of this recipe.:cool:

Guest Virginia Dawn

Olive Garden used to have a dish called Chicken Messina. You can google a copy-cat recipe. It would be just fine without the chicken. Basically it's pasta with a seasoned chicken broth sauce, and fresh spinach.

Spinach Enchiladas!

You'll need:

corn tortillas

spinach

cream

verde sauce

grated monterey jack cheese (split)

onions

garlic, 5-6 cloves

lemon or lime juice (just a splash)

First, roast the garlic in the oven but if you're pressed for time you can chop it up and cook it with the onions.

Second, cook the onions (and possibly garlic) in a little olive oil until onions are translucent. Add the spinach and lemon/lime juice and allow it to wilt a bit. If you roasted your garlic, squeeze it into the spinach mixture now.

Mix the cream and verde sauce: 2 parts verde sauce to 1 part cream.

Steam the tortillas then dip in the sauce mixture. Fill each one with some cheese and spinach mixture. Roll and place in pan, seam side down (I use 7x11 pans because they are the perfect size). Cover with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake at 375 degrees until sauce is nice and bubbly (usually about 20-25 minutes).

I made this for lunch today...YUM!! DH loved it and so did 3 out of 4 kids. Definitely making this again. Thanks :)