Menu

Amazon orders

I'm going to be ordering many, many readers for our school year. Some are more obscure titles that Amazon has the best price on. I'm thinking it would be wise to separate the orders into several $30 orders to qualify for free shipping, but also won't hold me up too long if a few titles take a while to ship. Do you make smaller orders with your Amazon school stuff?

I do that by creating shopping lists.

You'll want to keep an eye out for the 4 for the price of 3 books--there are many many many of them for the books in the $4-$10 range. I group them together by price so that if I buy three 9.95 books my fourth and free book isn't a $3.95 book.

I often find Amazon to be cheaper than other sources, and with the free books and free shipping it pays off to really look at how the orders are organized.

You'll want to keep an eye out for the 4 for the price of 3 books--there are many many many of them for the books in the $4-$10 range. I group them together by price so that if I buy three 9.95 books my fourth and free book isn't a $3.95 book.

:iagree: This is what I do. I make several small orders, just enough to get a good deal on a free book and the free shipping :)

A friend had a horrid time trying to cancel..... it scared me from ever trying it!

Really?

I did a 30 day trial and just went into the "my account" section and there was a little button to click that said "cancel prime membership." Easy-peasy. No pain and never any charges to my credit card. They even provided a date so you'll know what date your credit card will be charged if you don't cancel.

Having it was simply heaven. Definitely do it during the back to school busy book buying time. I made a bunch of orders and got lots and lots of free shipping. I can't afford it, but if I could, I'd sign up in a heartbeat!

I've never had any kind of problems with Amazon.

I use prime and before they charge your card there is a place to see where it should be very easy to cxl. It's you the your account area and "manage prime membership."

If I'm trying to get 4 for 3 I do watch how I organize my orders. Recently I ordered some art books that were 9.99 each. I wanted to make sure I got on the 9.99 one free and placed that order separately.

I don't know how many books you're talking about ordering, but this year Amazon was my main book supplier; I had over 250 books in my cart, and was unable to place an order. After several frustrating days I contacted Amazon and they said that their system won't accept orders of over 100 items unless you are a business (why they couldn't have that somewhere on their website beats me). I broke my order into three orders, and checked the box saying I didn't care how many packages and wanted my stuff as quickly as possible. I have gotten most of my books now, lots of cardboard to recycle, but otherwise no complaints.

Oh, and I signed up for Amazon Prime as well. If I can remember I'll cancel, but even if I don't it was cheaper to buy that than pay the shipping amount.

hth!

I had no problems canceling either......very easy! I mean very easy peasy, LOL. :)

this was a couple of years ago or so, and she is the type apt to have everything go wrong that can, but overall, it wasn't a good experience.

I've had Amazon burn me on a Christmas present and their free shipping. Enough i'll try to find what i need anywhere else first before using them, or just pay for shipping. I've used free shipping once in 2 years - it was stuff that i had no "need by" date.

I actually try to buy local as much as i can to support the retail that has come into our area. The one area i can't often is books :(

I would definitely divide them up into smaller orders. A couple years ago (before I had prime) I ordered several hundred dollars' worth on one order, and it took forever (over two months) to get them, because the entire order was held up by one book. Grrr. Now I have Prime. It's worth the money for me to know when I am going to get my books. Or groceries, or toys, or housewares, or whatever else I'm ordering!

I do that by creating shopping lists.

I often find Amazon to be cheaper than other sources, and with the free books and free shipping it pays off to really look at how the orders are organized.

I did exactly that last year when buying many Sonlight books. I made a spreadsheet (instead of lists because amazon is often a slow site for me) for ALL the books from all cores needed and grouped them by price. It worked out great!

Is this something that goes on often?? Somehow I have missed this!!!! :ack2:

It's been going on for quite some time. I think it's pretty much a permanent promotion but the items may change from time to time (but don't quote me on that...).

It's been going on for quite some time. I think it's pretty much a permanent promotion but the items may change from time to time (but don't quote me on that...).

Ok, so it's only certain things? Or certain price ranges? That type of thing? I'm beginning to be very excited!!!!!!!

I have gotten most of my books now, lots of cardboard to recycle, but otherwise no complaints.

Amazon boxes are just the right size to make into some pretty sturdy magazine holders. I just cut off one corner kind of leaving the shape of a boot and put some wrapping paper on it.

I'm not the scrapbooky/crafty type, so they're also a little ugly. :tongue_smilie:

I did exactly that last year when buying many Sonlight books. I made a spreadsheet (instead of lists because amazon is often a slow site for me) for ALL the books from all cores needed and grouped them by price. It worked out great!

Oooooh, THAT is a fantastic idea! I have trouble with amazon lists and usually wind up frustrated and give up. I never thought of making a spreadsheet! 'doh!!

How do you know if the books on your wishlist are part of the promotion? I went to the list of juvenile books and started scrolling thru them...is this the way to do this?

Unfortunately, I've never found a way except to look at every single item's page. Sorry!

Oh, and if anyone knows how to disable the thing that makes it say "You purchased this item on...." on every item I've ever bought I'm :bigear: I share a computer and this makes it tough to surprise anyone.

Yeah, for at least 3...close to 4 years. I remember buying a bunch of 4 for 3 kitchen items back around Christmas in '05. We were going to be renting a house out here in AZ while still owning our house in PA and I needed to duplicate some kitchen stuff. Look for the little link that says, "Special Offers Available" on most small paperback book pages and many household things. They also have a 4 for 3 DVD page

Pretty sure you can mix and match household items, DVDs and books. And yes, they change the items around all the time...particularly the kitchen things.

Barb

Oh, and if anyone knows how to disable the thing that makes it say "You purchased this item on...." on every item I've ever bought I'm :bigear: I share a computer and this makes it tough to surprise anyone.

It should go away if you SIGN OUT on Amazon at the top of the page every time you use the computer. (On the home page, click the option for "I'm not [name]", and then just don't sign in as another person.)

Yes, it's only Amazon's new stuff that's eligible for 4-for-3. They seem to be mostly under $10, but I've seen some for $12-ish. A lot of picture books and chapter books are eligible. I think they do it instead of having a discounted price on each item.

Not trying to hijack this thread - but does anyone know of an easier way to DELETE items from your SAVED list? I have pages of saved items & I need to delete a ton of them, but you can only click "delete" on one item at a time - and it always takes me right back to page 1!! So, then I click back to the page I'm deleting - delete one more item - and back to page 1 we go again - it takes forever! I've stopped looking at my saved items list because it's insane and I can't find anything anymore. :glare:

I have the same problem. Start from the first page, and work your way back?

That would work, except the first few pages are the relevant books I'd like to keep saved! :lol:

Have multiple pages open, with tabs?

I guess if I opened 20 "page 3s" at one time and deleted one book a time, that might work, though, wouldn't it? hmmmm.....

It's really silly that they make it that difficult. I have things in my saved list that I purchased from Amazon (but couldn't find them on my saved list, so I just ordered them when I was ready for them! LOL)

argh.

Don't forget to help someone out when you order with amazon!

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/support..html

Just click the black Amazon box which will take you to Amazon's site and then anything you order will be credited to Jen of ourlosbanos (disable your ad blocker for that page if you subscribe to that via Firefox and it doesn't show up). This is her new site. Thanks!

OR

Use kellymom.com as your gateway to amazon.com or amazon.cair?t=kellycombreas-20&l=ur2&o=15.

Not trying to hijack this thread - but does anyone know of an easier way to DELETE items from your SAVED list?

There is no easier way. If the quantity box appeared on the "save for later" list items, you could just change the quantities all to zero and then update the cart. IIRC, that used to work, but they changed it - or maybe my memory is of a different site.

I just put 2 of the same item in my cart. Then I moved it to the saved list and the quantity disappeared. I moved it back to the cart, and the quantity reappeared. So Amazon has this configured for a purpose that is only known to them, IMO.

I look at the price with free shipping & without.... I clump all those that are cheaper with "free shipping" together... some, it is still better deal to buy and pay the shipping cost & I clump them together. Same with new/used... sometime it is cheaper to buy a new book with super saver shipping than it is to by the used book and pay the $3.99.

It takes me a bit longer to order b/c I have to price compare... but it saves me $$$$.:001_smile:

I order by price, not delivery time. I have always gotten by Amazon orders rather quickly.... some can seem a bit slow... but nothing compared to some things bought from businesses or even from ebay.

Amazon boxes are just the right size to make into some pretty sturdy magazine holders. I just cut off one corner kind of leaving the shape of a boot and put some wrapping paper on it.

I'm not the scrapbooky/crafty type, so they're also a little ugly. :tongue_smilie:

Ugly or not... HOW SMART IS THAT! Great idea, especially for DS who gets Scouting & Lego magazines.

You can use Cereal boxes to do this... but the amazon boxes are much sturdier! Great tip & a great project for kiddos!!!!

Ugly or not... HOW SMART IS THAT! Great idea, especially for DS who gets Scouting & Lego magazines.

You can use Cereal boxes to do this... but the amazon boxes are much sturdier! Great tip & a great project for kiddos!!!!

I got the idea from someone using cereal boxes. I was originally going to do that but all my cereal boxes are narrower than the magazines. Maybe you need the jumbo cheerio box or something. And they are sturdier!

My kids get National Geographic (the adult one--for the older two) Kids Discover, Zoobooks and the little guy gets Click. I think we'll be adding another one or two (Cricket for sure) this year also. These are magazines you keep!

I'm assuming that only books actually sold by Amazon are qualified, right? No third party vendors?? A lot of what I'm looking for it pretty old and probably out of print.

Yep, it's just amazons stuff.

I like eBay for oop books. You can usually get a seller to combine shipping for you (*if* they have more than one of the books you're looking for). I don't like eBay for much anymore.

Don't forget to help someone out when you order with amazon!

I was under the impression that the person receives a list of what I purchase; so since a relative of mine has this, if I wanted to share my reading list with someone (and some of my purchases would be very clear to a relative that they are mine), I would send the money her way. I am not really interested in sharing this information around, most of the time. Just for reasons of privacy, not because I read x-rated or violent material.

Edited by stripe

Not trying to hijack this thread - but does anyone know of an easier way to DELETE items from your SAVED list? I have pages of saved items & I need to delete a ton of them, but you can only click "delete" on one item at a time - and it always takes me right back to page 1!! So, then I click back to the page I'm deleting - delete one more item - and back to page 1 we go again - it takes forever! I've stopped looking at my saved items list because it's insane and I can't find anything anymore. :glare:

Forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion, as I don't have a saved list at amazon...

Can you put all of the items in your cart, as if you were going to buy them all; but then go through the cart and delete what you don't want? Then, when you only have in your cart the items that you still want to save, save them again. Will that work?

I haven't bought anything on amazon in a while, so I may be imagining their checkout process incorrectly. I've done this before somewhere else, though, so I thought I'd suggest it :)

-Angie

Forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion, as I don't have a saved list at amazon...

Can you put all of the items in your cart, as if you were going to buy them all; but then go through the cart and delete what you don't want? Then, when you only have in your cart the items that you still want to save, save them again. Will that work?

I haven't bought anything on amazon in a while, so I may be imagining their checkout process incorrectly. I've done this before somewhere else, though, so I thought I'd suggest it :)

-Angie

That doesn't work. After you buy your items, they are still in your wish list!

I guess if I opened 20 "page 3s" at one time and deleted one book a time, that might work, though, wouldn't it? hmmmm.....

OK - just wanted to note that this worked beautifully and didn't take toooooo long. I right-clicked on each "page" of saved items - ten times (10 items per page). Deleted what I wanted one at a time from each tab, then closed all 10 tabs. Went back to my original screen (which stayed up the entire time so the page #s didn't keep changing on me) and right-clicked 10 times on the next page.

I now have a slightly more manageable saved items list of 60 items instead of the 200 I had before! I can find things again! Oh, happy day! lol

Now - off to make a spreadsheet for the 4-for-3 promotion books on my list while the kids are making lunch... :D

If you are going to place an order with the intention of taking advantage of the 4/3 promotion, is it better to make several smaller 4 book orders? Or if you do it in one massive order, will they still take the promotion off? What is the best way of going about this?

If you are going to place an order with the intention of taking advantage of the 4/3 promotion, is it better to make several smaller 4 book orders? Or if you do it in one massive order, will they still take the promotion off? What is the best way of going about this?

It's better to place smaller orders, with books the closest in price. They take off the least expensive books as the free ones - so unless all your books are the same price, you'll end up saving more money by grouping the books in same cost groups and ordering that way :)

They'll take the promotion off either way but if you order 16 books the four cheapest ones will be the ones you get free. So if you have 8 books at 5.99, 4 books at 8.99 and 4 books at 3.99, you'll get all the 3.99 books free, and pay full price for the others.

It's better to place smaller orders, with books the closest in price. They take off the least expensive books as the free ones - so unless all your books are the same price, you'll end up saving more money by grouping the books in same cost groups and ordering that way :)

I suspected that. Thanks so much!!!!:D