Menu

AAS...any negatives? I hear lots of positives...

Honey Bee

Hi,

I am actually using level 1 with my (not reading) 6yo. He is doing fine, but wanted to know if anyone has had any negative experiences or saw some cons with this program before I decide to start using it with my other children. Here are some things I have noticed:

1- Level one is all 3 letter words

2- compared to SWR and Phonics Road, they will have the child spell less words. (she does seem to give "more practice" words at the end of some lessons. Does this continue? Are the words as rigorous?

3 - It will be a while before the student gets all the sounds.

Please don't hate me, I am really fleshing out phonics right now because it is my final decision for next year. I haven't had a grand experience with phonics, etc. and my 6yo is not really reading, just sounding out 3 letter words. I want my experiences with my younger children to go better. I was thinking of using AAS, WWE, and FLL next year. I like the vertical phonics method, but would be willing to venture off a little if they would be better readers. I'm open to LA scheduling for a K & 1st grader. Thanks for listening.

I wouldn't use AAS to teach reading because it does take a long time to teach all the phonograms. I used another phonics program for this (Sound Beginnings) and my dd became a wonderful reader.

I love AAS for spelling, though! We've gone through Level 3. I've learned so much, along with my kids. I didn't know a lot of these rules. I've been able to use the rules to help my kids spell longer words when they needed to. I love the dictation for the end of lesson "test" which also reviews previous words.

The only "negatives" that I can think of are...

1) It's not independent. However, I'm not sure if it could be done as a workbook program, at least not with as good of results. It only takes about 15 min per day, so it's not time intensive, at least.

2) The price. However, I now have 5 kids (with more in the future probably) so I would spend more on a workbook program for them. At least AAS is non-consumable. And, I taught 2 dc last year, on the same level most of the year with only 1 student kit.

The only negative comment I have is that it's a pain to lay out all those letter tiles each time.

I went through many spelling programs, and in my opinion, this is the very best. My natural speller is zooming through the program, but learning a great deal. My reading/spelling challenged child benefits greatly from the built-in work with segmenting, and is making very good progress.

It moves too slowly to teach reading (unless, as in my case, your child is a very slow at learning to read.)

Laying the letter tiles out is tedious, but I could magnetize them and put them on a white lap board.

I like that it moves so slowly as SWR was too much for my dc too fast.

Negatives:

time intensive for parent, it is open and go but there is no independent work

I think if I used it to teach reading, I would try to go faster and not do the spelling at the same time. I would use level 1 and maybe higher, depending, for K and then try to zoom through from there and get them reading.

Some kids may not care for the tiles. My son liked them at first but now can't wait for the tile part of the lesson to be over. I do think it help him, though, so it is not all negative, ad I'm sure you can do it all written if the child doesn't need the tiles.

From what I have seen of materials geared to the public schools, AAS is "behind". Of course the program doesn't specify grade levels, but around here I see most people don't start spelling until second grade, with first being the earliest. We have done most of level2, finishing up first grade, and apparently this is still behind what students in our local (mediocre) public schools are expected to have done. I think some of it is that AAS does not teach any "sight words" at the beginning levels, so dc won't know how to spell some of the words they would commonly use in their writing. This might not matter in the long term, but just something to note.

Overall I like it and will continue with it. My ds does not seem to be much of a natural speller so far, and going from reviews from others who have children like this, we are sticking with it.

AAS progresses at a snail's pace for reading. Average kids read at levels far exceeding their spelling abilities. My 1st grader completed both levels 1&2 of AAS this yr and the hardest words were words like snapshot, whereas for reading she can read sentences like Charlotte visited Philadelphia in August.

1- Level one is all 3 letter words

A slight correction, Level 1 does include consonant teams, so you'll get some 4 and 5 letter words, as well as a few compound words.

3 - It will be a while before the student gets all the sounds.

Yes, if you want to use AAS to teach reading, you'll need to either get the complete set of phonogram cards and/or the CD-ROM to teach all of the sounds, and/or use the books at a faster pace. Instead of trying to teach spelling, you would introduce the concepts and have the child read the words and the dictations. If you use it for both reading and spelling, you'd be working at two different places in the series at the same time.

There is a reader that can be used starting with Lesson 15 of Level 1, but there is no reader for Level 2 yet.

Hope you find what works well for you and your kids! Merry :-)

We have done most of level2, finishing up first grade, and apparently this is still behind what students in our local (mediocre) public schools are expected to have done. .

That is true... my dd just finished her first grade year in the Public School and this was her last spelling list:

laughing

exhausted

mysterious

midnight

concentration

amazement

solitary

whispering

bulletin board

excitement

I just pulled her out to homeschool for next year 2nd grade and will be starting with AAS level 1. It will seem like a back track to her, but it will be very good for her to "start over". The ps basically just threw impressive words at the kids and made them memorize them without any concept of spelling rules what-so-ever. She made a 100% on that last test weeks ago, but I would almost guarantee that she would probably get all of them wrong if I gave her the test again. I was so frustrated with ps in general, but especially "Spelling"... it was all about the "appearance" and not at all about "substance".

So, as far as being "behind"... I think AAS will put them "ahead" in substance even if the appearance looks "behind".

So... AAS is going to move really slow for reading, what then should I use for reading? Your responses have been so helpful! Thank you!
Sound Beginnings looks like a very good program. It is based on WRTR, so you may be happy with it.

Alphaphonics is Orton-Gillingham based (so is AAS) and gets very good reviews as well.

Accelerated Achievement (hstreasures.com) has a fun way to teach reading that worked well with DD, and I adapted it (very easily) into a vertical program.

I have decided to use McRuffy with DS. You can buy their phonics program separate now, instead of getting a full LA package for your grade level.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

For reading, you could also use OPG or PP, both are very complete programs.

I now have step by step instructions for Blend Phonics that transitions it into Webster's Speller while teaching the spelling rules and syllable division. It makes it very easy to use Webster's Speller after you work through it.

I would recommend whatever you use, do it on a white board, that holds their interest better and writing it out as they are learning helps them see the L to R development of the words.

Webster's Speller was developed for use in One-Room Schools, so is ideal for teaching several homeschool children at once. They can all start with a few syllables together and then each move to where they are reading and spelling, moving ahead at their own pace. Since it is based on the same syllables, the older children get a review while watching their younger siblings and the younger children get a preview of what they will learn later.

My step by step instructions and links to the Spelling Rules are in this link:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

in this paragraph:

Your number one task is to get them to stop guessing and start sounding out each and every word from left to right. Nonsense words are key, they help prevent guessing. Here is a free website that generates nonsense words. Syllables are also helpful, I would use the Blend Phonics Reader (it helps show how guessing is a bad strategy by showing words with similar configuration together) followed by Webster’s Speller. Here is a step by step guide to using Blend Phonics that also adds in syllables, spelling and phonics rules, syllable division rules, and syllable division exercises. There are also readings from Hebrews 12 that can be added to show progress through the program.

I wrote the instructions for a group of older remedial students, but they can be easily adapted to a beginning student and for one-on-one use.

So... AAS is going to move really slow for reading, what then should I use for reading? Your responses have been so helpful! Thank you!

I love Sing, Spell, Read, Write. My only criticism of it is that the spelling progress too fast! :D

I typically use SSRW as designed until the 2 vowels walk together song, but most of my kids at that point can continue to read at its pace but cannot keep up with the spelling. So, we move ahead with reading, but this time I switched to AAS for spelling b/c I already had it (bought it for an older child a couple of ys ago and knew it was inappropriate for him.)

I started AAS 1 with my 10 & 9 yos together.

I have explained to them that it might "appear" to be too easy, but that it is laying a foundation, and I don't expect it to take them more than few weeks. I have modified it quite extensively, as we went through the phonograms once (only reviewing vowels & ch) they now most of the other rules, so I just kind of wing it, look at some parts I think are important and emphasize them and away we go! We had only one 2 days worth of lessons (1-4) and yesterday I dictated 50 words (yes they were all 3 letter words) with nary a single mistake.

They felt that they had accomplished something, I was happy that they didn't screw up such easy stuff, then I let them put stickers through lesson 8, after going over whatever rules needed to be covered.

Even though it is totally scripted you shouldn't be afraid of modifying it when you need to. We only did the tiles once so far, I can't imagine using them more than once before we move on to harder parts. There can be an advantage to using it with an older child, as you don't have to repeat the tedious parts until they actually don't know it.

anyhoo, my 2 cents. I am looking forward to level 2, when i can find it cheap enough!

but can highly recommend The Phonics Road The spelling portion is similar in method to AAS, but certainly hits words larger than 3 or the occasional 4 letter words. The phonics instruction is Solid. It roots in the rules and the phonics so gently we hardly even noticed. I was surprised at how well things sunk in b/c I didn't feel like it was teacher intensive. Definitely not an independant course in the early levels (IMO, why would anyone want phonics and spelling to be greatly independant at such an early, and foundational level?)

I have a friend that review my PR and sent back AAS this very week. The only negative to PR is that I didn't find it sooner. Definitely, worth the investment. I have decided to drop the tried and true Rod & Staff and head with this entire program. I have used the Latin portion (which comes directly after the 4 years of PR) for a year now and we are very successful.

My daughters balked at laying out the tiles each time until I got the magnets on them. Now, it isn't so much an issue. The kids can't see the need to use the tiles. I, however, can. Since I can see the bigger picture of why the use of the tiles is important, they will continue to use them. I think my struggling speller needs them more than her more natural speller twin sister does.

Yes, this program requires the teacher. There is no independent work. However, it only takes me 20 minutes per day to work with two children. I think it is all a matter of how you space out the step you are working on.

Jennie

I am astonished at that first grade spelling list. I remember being in 4th or 5th grade and working independently on a higher level spelling list than my classmates, and I don't think those type of words were on them. What do they read in 5th grade?!

Sound Beginnings looks like a very good program. It is based on WRTR, so you may be happy with it.

It appears that this is a Biblically based program, with many Christian examples, as is Spell to Write and Read -- it may be helpful to identify this, so I am doing so.

It appears that this is a Biblically based program, with many Christian examples, as is Spell to Write and Read -- it may be helpful to identify this, so I am doing so.

I wanted to comment on Sound Beginnings, since I brought it up :) I guess it is biblically based, since the whole program does include a Bible. I bought it used from someone and didn't have the Bible. I used other readers with it (CHC's Little Readers for Little Folks). I do have a friend who got the Bible and said that it was a wonderful reader! But, the most important part of the program is the teacher's manual and the phonogram cards. Some of the dictation sentences have Christian content. We didn't finish the whole program. We quit after learning all the phonograms and we did all the spelling up to this point. Then we switched to AAS. My dd was able to start in Level 2 and found most of it review. She's a wonderful reader and speller, and I think a lot of it's due to using Sound Beginnings. It's completely open and go, with a schedule at the beginning telling you what to do each day. I feel that some days it tells you to do too many new phonograms, so I just slow it down. The downside of the program is that it ties writing to reading. So, I start using OPGTR when they're ready to read (age 3-4) and add Sound Beginnings when they're ready to do some writing (age 4.5 to 5).

I am very happy with the progress my son has made using AAS. He is becoming a confident speller, and we both enjoy the lessons.

The only negative about AAS for me is the price. We are working quite quickly through the books, and are just finishing book 2. We only began in February, so this will be 3 books I've had to purchase in just 5 months.

I'm very glad that he's progressing so quickly, as he is going into 3rd grade and had been a struggling speller. But it has been a lot of books to buy.

Good luck finding what works for your child!

I am very happy with the progress my son has made using AAS. He is becoming a confident speller, and we both enjoy the lessons.

The only negative about AAS for me is the price. We are working quite quickly through the books, and are just finishing book 2. We only began in February, so this will be 3 books I've had to purchase in just 5 months.

I'm very glad that he's progressing so quickly, as he is going into 3rd grade and had been a struggling speller. But it has been a lot of books to buy.

Good luck finding what works for your child!

Have you thought about buying How To Teach Spelling's TM? If you know how to teach the rules, for $30 you have a book that contains all the rules/exceptions, word lists by rule, phrases from the word lists and spiraled-sentence dictation, etc. Learning the HOW to present it to your child is 99% of the battle. If you have finished 2 levels of AAS and feel like you no longer need a scripted approach, you can have 1st-12th grade spelling in a single source.

http://epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/book.asp?subject=71S&subjectdesc=Spelling+%26+Grammar&series=1847M&seriesdesc=How+to+Teach+Spelling&seriesParent=1847M&seriesparentdescription=&altIsbn=1847&altIsbndesc=How+to+Teach+Spelling

Thank you all for your replies. I will be checking these programs, its funny how I heard of some of these, but never checked them out. Thanks for the recommendations.

Tina, I see you really liked Phonics Road. I have been hesitant on this program (its actually on my shelf) because I can seem to find anyone using it past year one. Can you tell me more about the upper years...say compared to if I went with WWE and FLL and AAS?

I absolutely love AAS for spelling! For reading, we used Reading Made Easy. Dd was already reading above a 3rd grade level when we started AAS.

My only gripes against AAS are minor, and are outweighed by the benefits and the progress I have seen in dd.

At some point, I would like spelling to be more independent. At this point though, I like teaching her the rules and being fully aware of what she should know and be able to apply in her free writing. Twenty minutes of working together seems reasonable to me.

I'm really surprised by that 1st grade list! The kids in our public school aren't even reading words like that, let alone spelling them. :blink:

And yet for years I was confused about how to spell words like "mailable" is it "mailible" perhaps "maileble". I would solve such dilemmas by writing sentences like: "That envelope can't be put in the mail." :D

I've also heard parents of students at the local private school talk about how impressive the curriculum is there because the spelling lists contain lots of big, difficult words. If the spelling these kids are using on Facebook is any indication, it's not getting the job done.

How many times have I had to write "hors d'oeuvres" in my life? I would have been much better served is someone would have covered the basics about adding suffixes.

I guess I'm getting a little off topic, but I think that spelling list is another example of how our schools think that teaching difficult things early equals a better education. It's just not true.