Menu

To skip or not to skip kindergarten???? What a question!!!!

Oh what to do!!!!!!!

For the most part I've posted mostly about my dd9.....until now.

Background: My dd5.5 (Dec.1 Birthday) is approaching the end of part time Pre-K. When I signed her up for school last year, I specifically requested that she attend the PM session so that I could "school" her at home in the mornings when she was fresh, ready, & eager to learn. I already knew going in that she would be going to school to build and grow her social skills not really for the academic component. Her Pre-K teacher is WONDERFUL and she compliments "Mommy school" really well. She's appointed a class "tree", done author studies, takes them on nature walks, have the children build geometric sculptures, have them dig in the playground yard to plant sunflower seeds, etc. Both my girls have had the same teacher and our entire family absolutely loves her!!! I would never have traded the experience of exposing my children to this wonderful teacher and human being!!!!!

Anyway......herein lies my dilemma. My husband and I have felt strongly that dd needs to be skipped ahead a grade. At home, dd has been able to consistently and successfully work at a K/1st grade level. We strongly believe that she will be ready for 1st grade next year.

Here's some of what we've done this school year:

Reading/Phonics:

HeadSprout: completed all 80 lessons

Blend Phonics: wasn't ecstatic with fluency after HeadSprout & she was guessing too many times for my taste at the words she was reading. This cured her fast!!

Explode the Code: Currently working through Book 2

Phonics Pathways: Currently working through vowel digraphs

She can decode anything put in front of her and reads fluently with great intonation and comprehension; some of her favorites include Magic Tree House, High Five/Highlights Magazine, beginner non-fiction books, any and every picture book she can get her hands on.

Math: Completed Singapore Math EBK 1A & 1B in first semester and is now working through RightStartA (currently in lesson 49)

Handwriting: HWT-completed orange book in the first semester (Letters and Numbers for Me) and is 3/4 of the way through the yellow book (My printing Book). Will probably have her work on cursive letters using StartWrite software this summer. I love, love this program....dd has beautiful handwriting. She now writes letter to friends & family, grocery lists, poems, class rosters (likes to play "Teacher"), short stories to go along with picutres, and thank you notes. She even participated in the HWT national campaign to write a letter to President Obama!

Spanish: Currently using Usborne's Very First Words in Spanish & Spanish Words and Phrases along with "spanish" hour during breakfast, dinner, getting ready for bed or school. I am a native speaker but unfortunately my children are not.......I know, terrible!! She's progressing nicely though (despite the rolling of the eyes once she knows I'm only speaking and responding in spanish)

I know, long post........just want to get as much detail in as possible.

Now, don't get me wrong.......I know there are factors other than academics involved when discussing/contemplating grade acceleration (but I know my child....if she's not being challenged and stimulated she can get frustrated and I'm so wary of her being labled as having disciplinary issues because her needs are not being met). She's a mature, articulate, and very social person. Her vocabulary is extensive and is able to hold a conversation easily with her sister's friends (and most adults I know) and prefers to play with them over their younger siblings. She even brainstorms and suggest activities in which they can all participate just so that she could be included. She also exhibits critical thinking skills and always asks questions when things don't add up in her head.

Here's an example of what I mean: A few months back both dd's were complaining they were bored and had nothing do to. DH says, "well from the top of my head you can" and proceeds to list all the things they could do. After a long pause dd5 says, "and from the bottom of your head, Daddy, what can we do"? DH and I nearly wet our pants from laughing so hard!!! I knew a long time ago I was going to have my hands full with this one!!!

And so fellow patrons, and I do so apologize for such a lengthy post but it's such a heart wrenching decision (one I feel we should have made with dd9 believe it or not), what would you do if you were in my/our shoes?????? Skip or Not to Skip????

Thank you for your patience and please don't judge my post as being bragadocious (just stating the facts, ma'am), please!! Just wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Thanks again and have a great day!!

PS. I printed the Core Standards for my State and as far as I can tell, she exceeds them at the Kindy level. Even her current teacher expressed, in her last report card, that dd will have to be challenged in Kindergarten becasue she meets the requirements.

Ok, that's it, I promise!!!

Ciao

Why do you need to skip kindergarten?

She'll be kindergarten-aged next year, right? Why not just work with her academically where she is at, but call her kindergarten?

My ds was working at a 1st/2nd grade level when he was in kindergarten. We called (and still do) his grade whatever he would be in if he were in school. But his academic work reflects his ability, not his age or the grade written on the cover of the book.

I'd suggest keeping her in "kindergarten," but continue through Phonics Pathways and Singapore Math as she progresses. When she gets to be in "first grade," add in grammar, spelling, etc. (Unless you feel like she's ready sooner.)

Just to be clear....dd will be attending public school next year. Therefore I really do need to consider grade placement for next year now. The only concern at this point is the transition from a 1/2 day program to a full day program. I think she's mature enough to handle the jump but one never really knows, right?

Another point I didn't make in my previous, albeit very long post, is that we also went through the same situation with my oldest dd9 when it was time to place her in Kindy. She too was very accelerated and very mature (and also well above in height and continues to be one of the tallest kids in class, including the boys) but we decided to keep her at grade level. She soon realized she didn't need to exert her mind to keep up with the other kids and began to slack off big time. By the time she would come home and begin the enrichment work, she seriously balked (and sometimes still balks) at it! and didn't want to do it because it required her to work her brain muscle, something she wasn't used to doing in school!

I feel like I'm fighting a double edged sword here. In the end, I just want what's best for my dc!!!

Tx

I think it would be better to move her ahead already. Our youngest child is the youngest -- and smallest (and somewhat immature) -- in his sixth grade class. He is taking some classes at our high school (3,000+ students) with some really big kids, and he's doing just fine. (Btw, we did not push for that; his school did.)

One of the problems you might encounter is eventually getting a teacher who won't challenge your daughter. We had a second-grade teacher who had our son play games in the back of the classroom in order for him to fall adequately behind until the rest of the class caught up. After that experience, we switched schools. Keep evaluating what is really going on in the class, and if necessary, squeak! Or, supplement.

Also, initially your daughter might feel a bit young and left out with the older kids in her classroom. They already know each other. I'd suggest setting up play dates if this happens. If you can do it over summer, even better. A few buddies in the classroom can be helpful.

It sounds like she's doing great. Keep up the good work!

:)

How lucky of you to have such a great preschool experience for your DC! It's such a fun time. You sound like you have already decided to have your DD skip a grade (no tomatoes, please, but you didn't list one negative). I can't say that I disagree -- just don't discount the social aspect of it too quickly.

I was also a bright, articulate, outgoing little girl who skipped K. Academically, I did well throughout my schooling years. If anything, I could have been challenged more. Socially, I had some struggles along the way, especially a couple rough years in middle school and high school (not the whole time, thank goodness, but probably more than typical). Part of it was that I was always the youngest person in my grade, and even though at 5 that didn't matter so much, at 13 and 16 it did.

Just saying that this is a decision not just for K, but for the rest of her schooling years. My DD is also a bright little girl who just turned 5 and is working on at least a first grade level (ETC 4, Singapore Math EB 2B, etc). But I would be very hesitant to skip a grade, especially during these early years. :)

Thank you all for your feedback......I really do appreciate it!!!!

It really does sound like I've made up my mind, doesn't it??? Sadly though it's a gut wrenching decision for dh and I. We'll be meeting with the principal in the very near future to discuss our dd's situation. Maybe that will help in presenting a clearer picture of the expectations in both grades.

Again, thank you and have a great day!

From our experience I would put her ahead - our daughter was very bright like yours they would not put her ahead and at the time I did not fight for her to be put ahead. So trying to make a long story short - school made a good effort to increase her work in the reg. classroom and put her into their gifted program, but she was bored and unhappy. - So by 4th grade she begged to be homeschooled.(which turned out to be such a blessing) She advanced at will and started college one year ahead of her peers this year and has been on the deans list and carries a 4.0. So I would put her ahead and pray that it will be enough challenge for her.

Lisa blessed wife to DH of 23years :)

Two special gifts DD 18 :Angel_anim: DS 6 :gnorsi:

Your district may be unique, but I would suggest being prepared for a strong reaction from the PS principal and teachers on this issue. They will probably try to find every possible reason not to honor your request. I don't know if your budget would allow, but you would probably find a private school administrator much more agreeable to the idea and then you could switch to public school after finishing the year with the appropriate transcript. They might be more easily convinced to allow your daughter to move up to the next grade in certain subjects only. I am aware of one school where the student was allowed to move to a different grade for math, a subject where he was highly gifted, but stay with his class for the other subjects.

Look into your district rules. Many states have a September cut-off for KG. And the age stays till 1st grade. The rule here is if you miss the cut-off even by a day, you have to take a district gifted test. Basically they test if you're at first grade level just to enter KG (I know makes no sense). Or to go to first under age, you have to show that she completed an accredited KG program. Why did she not go to KG this year, seems like that would have made it easier in terms of the requirements? Since private schools don't need to comply they can bend the age rule or issue separate testing.

Its only after second grade that the age is not a requirement, which is a major reason I pulled ds out and hs him for first and second grade this year and the plan was to enroll him back for third next year but he likes it so much he wants to do another year of hs. :)

I would probably do the skip if you are pretty confident your child is a gifted learner. I have known children to be pretty far ahead because of home enrichment and then take a hit later because they were not developmentally ready for the next step. THis happened with a friend's child. They didn't end up skipping and they were glad a couple of years later when their daughter who had been so far ahead started to struggle with some of her schoolwork. Now many years later it is still clear that a skip would not have been good.

On the other hand my oldest son was an independent reader at 5 and advanced in math. He was less challenged in K than he was in his academic preschool. Things got worse each year, he didn't learn at school and was bored. Still, he got more and more ahead by afterschooling and by reading a lot. In third grade two things happened, he was accelerated in reading and math at school and I started part time homeschooling. Now he fits in his grade very well. Of course he is with his class only for the more social aspects of school. Until we found this solution I was really wishing I had pushed hard to skip K.

My daughter is starting K this year and sounds similar to your child. If I weren't set up to do part time homeschooling with her like I do my boys, I would be pursuing a grade skip. I like my solution better but its not an option for most.

I was another child who skipped a grade very early on. While I loved it academically, I still had years and subjects that I was beyond bored in at times, despite the best efforts of my parents and teachers. Moving me ahead then didn't prevent future problems.

The difficult part for me was being the youngest child in the class. When I was in 10th grade, all my class peers were turning 16 and beginning to date and drive. I was 14 going on 15. I wasn't allowed to date yet and my parents hated that I had to depend on other peers for all my transportation so they didn't allow me as much freedom as classmates just because of my age. I was teased, had lots of pressure to not be the baby, and all that. Sometimes looking back I just don't think I was emotionally ready for the challenges that came my way at those big milestones like jr high. Socially I always felt like I was behind because my age didn't match my grade and my priviledges and such were given by age.

When I graduated I went off to college at the age of 17, and I wouldn't be 18 until much later in the year. I couldn't even get a movie rental card without parental approval because I was under 18 and not considered an adult.

When I was teaching 3-6th grade, I saw some of the same problems in the youngest members of the classes. They could handle it academically, but emotionally and socially they were not that developed.

If she is really advanced, I would ask about her going to a 1st/2nd grade class for math and reading and then allow her to be in the K class for social reasons. She might be bored and finish her work early so that would be a good time to teach her to write in a journal or carry books to read when she is done.

I "skipped" Kindergarten and aside from joking that I never learned all those things on the "All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" list I think it was not a big deal.

I have a Feb birthday so I was 5 when I started 1st grade and usually a full year younger than the other kids in my class. For me, it was never a big deal. I was still bored in school but my parents elected not to have me skip more as they thought that would be too big an age difference. I never remember being teased about it. For me the driving and not turning 21 until I was almost done college wasn't a big deal either.

But that's just my perspective, I've heard others who felt really different.

My son will be 6 in Nov. I'm going to call him 1st grade this year as that's what he'll be doing in school. But he'll be at home so it's not as big a deal.

Is your kindergarten half day or full day? I ask because my DD's kindergarten was half day. We were able to continue our own work at home, and the kindergarten time was so short that she didn't really have a chance to get bored. When first grade rolled around, we inquired about skipping that grade, but the school was completely against it, and so we pulled her out to homeschool at that point.

I would consider sending your DD to kindergarten, especially if it is half-day or has an element of play still included in it. First grade, here, tends to be more focused on academics--but by that point, my daughter has left that academic level in the dust. The school will be aware of your DD's abilities by that point, and may be more willing to consider a grade skip.

Thanks again to you all for your insight!!

Kindergarten is full day in my county. Indeed, if it were part-time, we would be more inclined to have her stay there. I know a mother who's daughter was allowed to skip a full grade, from 3rd to 5th (which is intermediate school here) and she's doing great (according to her mom). So, I know the school district is not completely opposed to acceleration, as long as we, the parents, understand that the responsibility falls on us and not them (I'll tell ya)!!! The more and more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to letting her go to Kindy and see what happens come 1st grade. We'll be meeting with the principal on Monday and I've been preparing a folder with dds work samples. I'm very interested in hearing what she has to say.

My DD23 has a Nov 6th B-day. I homeschooled her K the fall she turned 5 in Nov. I had her tested by the school district the next summer. They agreed that she was ready for 1st grade in every way. The test took 2 days, about 3 hours each day. Weird! But, the school psycologist said that if there was only 1 way in which she was not advanced, she would not pass ahead. She came out of the testing room with DD and said, "Well, putting HER in K would be stupid." And signed the papers. DD graduated high school at 17 and went on the college. I do not think she had any problems along the way due to her age. She has always been more mature then even the older kids in her grade.

First my daughter isn't gifted but is accelerated. She was reading chapter books at 3 years old so when it came time for kindergarten I had her evaluated by the schools in order to determine whether or not she should be in first grade instead.

In reality I wasn't sure that a skip was the best thing for her but it did let the school know of her abilitiies. After the evalulation we kept her in K and due to her teacher she had a fantastic year. Her reading went up and her math went up a lot.

This year, in first grade, her teacher has a group of children around my dd6 academic level and she has been fantastic at challenging the entire group (6 kids of 4 1st grade classes). In addition to the afterschooling I'm doing, my daughter is flourishing.

For next year they plan to put a group of the top 8 students in one class for the teacher and the gifted resource teacher to develop their skills.

If you can homeschool it would probably be better if you could but if need to consider public school have a talk with the administrators, teachers and the gifted and talented community in your area to see how advanced/gifted children are doing in school. I think that given my county is a somewhat rural/lower economic area they are handling things a lot better than expected. Definitely not as good at homeschooling but we're happy with things.

I just wanted to share my experience. I loved homeschooling but it isn't an option given our family circumstances.

Good luck.

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

I thought I'd share that we did advocate for grade acceleration for dd6 back in October. After our initial request, we got a lot of push back from the school district. They cited lack of grade acceleration guidelines and policy as their main deterrent. After a long and drawn out process, which led to a week's worth of testing last week (very nerve racking), we met with the "Kindergarten Acceleration Committee" this past Tuesday and it was determined that dd will begin first grade next week. Up until the decision was made, we struggled with and kept going back and forth about continuing with the process. We remained adamant about not having dd accelerated so late in the school year but I think (and hope) in the end we made the right decision. Poor girl was bored to tears (literally) most of the time in Kindergarten.

Why didn't my mother tell me this thing called parenting wasn't going to be easy?! I tell ya!!

Thanks for "listening." Have a great day!

Thanks so much for updating. I think that it sounds like she'll do well in 1st. I think that I will be in a similar position this coming fall. My DD sounds a lot like yours, although her b-day is in May. I am struggling with what to do for her next year. She is reading like crazy (although not at chapter books yet) and just finished Singapore Earlybird math, so we'll be starting 1A soon. I can't even imagine where she'll be in September.

I had her independently tested (for my peace of mind, as I have/had a learning disability) and she scored amazingly. She receives speech from the public schools now, and we are going to meet with the school to submit the test results and talk about next year.

I just don't know what to do. I think that she'll love school, but I don't know if she'll learn much in kindergarten.

The best advice I got was to keep the end in sight. Simply put when will she finish her schooling? When will she go to college? I decided to keep my then 5 year old in K because I didn't want her to go to college at 16. Where we live a lot of people hold kids back to give them an advantage so there was a chance that she would be in class with boys 2 years older than her; that is when my husband said NO she is not skipping anything. :001_smile:

I have a nov baby that is very advanced as well. She sounds a lot like your child. I kept her home for the same reasons. I was so mad that the school couldnt skip her ahead. She has been working very ahead of PS kids. Long story short...she entered PS last year and since she missed their cut off...they put her into K. Her teacher was very good to work with us..and she loved it. She had such a great time. She loved being with the kids. I know she would do fine in 1st but I also know she enjoyed playing with the kids her own age. MOst kids in our block are 1 or 2 years ahead and she plays better then most of them...but in class it works out great.

1st grade has been fine as well. I still give advanced work at home...but she is doing great. If the class has a certain paper to write...i make her do a whole page instead of 4 lines. Something like that. I dont make her always do extra. We are reading extra history and readers that the class isnt reading...and I add in advanced math. Besides that...I am fine now with her being in the grade she is in.

My 3rd grader is bored. She tells me all the time she wants to skip up a grade. She is working way above 5th level for all her subjects and her reading is up in HS level. But...after being in the school and seeing them interact...as much as she is ready for the work...I see the huge differences in grades as far as emotions..and I dont mind keeping her in her grade level either. I cant imagine my 7yo in 2nd grade this year...as far as dealing with the kiddos...or my 8 yo in 4th. It is a big jump with the kids each year.

Im just going to keep working a little each day at home...and make sure I keep them advanced...so when they get into jr and hs they can make that jump with no issue. THat is just MY view. I dont have mine homeschooling full time any longer...but it works for our family.

Generally, I don't think kids that are a year advanced should be grade skipped. It's rarely necessary. There will be other students in Kindy that are also on a 1st grade level, some even on a 2nd grade level in core subjects. And there is so much more to Kindy than the 3Rs anyway.

What does the teacher think though? She has a good idea about the teachers, the other students, the curriculum, etc. She'll also have a good idea about your daughter emotionally, socially, mentally, etc. Yes, you know your child better, but she has other information by which to judge also.

What does the school generally do with students who are a year or two ahead academically? Do they have students move to other classrooms as necessary? Is there any tracking? Are some teachers better at differentiation?

I think there are kids that should skip, accelerate, do alternative work, etc. I also think there are other choices for many students and/or situations.

I didn't realize the thread was this old. I'm glad it worked out for y'all. Hopefully 1st grade will go well :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

I think the bigger question is just whether or not the school will allow acceleration at that age. My eldest read all of the Little House books at age 5 and the school she would have attended refused to accelerate her. It was *the* biggest reason we decided to homeschool.

Mrs. Mungo --

This is our scenario, too. For the past year, my oldest daughter (who just turned 5 last week) has been reading through the Little House series, Charlotte's Web, and everything else she picks up. She reads fluently and with great comprehension and expression. Her vocabulary and memory and work ethic are amazing. And, she is so cute and sweet! :001_wub:

I talked with the school district's "Kindergarten Registrar" about what the school would do with this child in September. I was told that if we enroll her, she would have to go into Kindergarten and would not be evaluated for her level and/or acceleration (skipping) until at least the end of October. In other words, for the first two months, all the children do the same thing. I asked what the children and teachers do until that time, and the registrar said, "They learn how to follow the Kindergarten Routine."

"Well, she will learn how to put her things in the cubby and hang her coat on the hook and line up and say the Pledge of Allegiance and other Kindergarten things like that."

I am not kidding. I really was told this over the phone by the Kindergarten Registrar. I have spoken with retired teachers in the district, and they have confirmed that there really is no place for my child in this system (they know her). There's no G/T program until 3rd, and my sister tells me it's lame, anyway (her son was in it). So, for us, there are three options:

(1) Put her in PS in September, wait until October, then push for promotion to first (she could handle it socially, but I think it would take most of her sweetness off, if you KWIM). If that fails, we'd have a bored child to deal with.

(2) Put her in private school. Not an option for us, because of the cost.

(3) Educate her at home. Ding. Ding. Ding. The prize is behind Door #3! :D

We are doing our own (adjusted) version of Kindergarten this year at home, along with Preschool for the twins. We're having a great time.

I just don't know what I'd ever do with them if they have to go into PS.

Hi all,

OP here wanting to share more about our situation. Last school year, when dd was in 1/2 day Pre-K we knew Kindergarten would be an "interesting" experience, to say the least. Academically, we knew it would not provide enough challenge for her. Because she had never been in school in a full time setting, we opted to let her begin Kindergarten and see how things went. We even requested dd's present Kindergarten teacher because she was reputed to have high expectations and a more rigorous approach to teaching while maintaining great relationships with her students. We were all excited to this school year to begin!

For the first two months dd cried, alot. She didn't cry because she missed her family or home, or because the day was too long, or because she couldn't make friends, or because her specials weren't fun. She literally was bored to tears. She couldn't believe she was forced to sit in class and re-learn the three R's. Yes, we were very much aware that school is more than reading, writing, and arithmetic. That is the reason why we decided to go ahead and have her begin Kindergarten anyway. We wanted to make sure that she really wasn't missing anything. I can't deny that dh and I are a bit nervous about what the the future will bring but for the right here, right now, we strongly believe we made the right decision for our dd. Her teachers and the school Principal were in our corner as we advocated for dd. Had they told us that they could indeed differenciate instruction to meet her needs, we would have preferred to keep dd in Kindergarten. They were very candid in their admission that the only thing they could do for her was to push for grade acceleration. The IAS was used to determine dd's eligibility for whole grade acceleration and her scores put her in the category where whole grade acceleration was recommended. She's very excited for the move to begin next week and I think this will be the right fit for her. Our feeling is that she is academically and socially ready. I only wish we had a crystal ball. Parenting would be much easier with it.

Hi all,

OP here wanting to share more about our situation. Last school year, when dd was in 1/2 day Pre-K we knew Kindergarten would be an "interesting" experience, to say the least. Academically, we knew it would not provide enough challenge for her. Because she had never been in school in a full time setting, we opted to let her begin Kindergarten and see how things went. We even requested dd's present Kindergarten teacher because she was reputed to have high expectations and a more rigorous approach to teaching while maintaining great relationships with her students. We were all excited to this school year to begin!

For the first two months dd cried, alot. She didn't cry because she missed her family or home, or because the day was too long, or because she couldn't make friends, or because her specials weren't fun. She literally was bored to tears. She couldn't believe she was forced to sit in class and re-learn the three R's. Yes, we were very much aware that school is more than reading, writing, and arithmetic. That is the reason why we decided to go ahead and have her begin Kindergarten anyway. We wanted to make sure that she really wasn't missing anything. I can't deny that dh and I are a bit nervous about what the the future will bring but for the right here, right now, we strongly believe we made the right decision for our dd. Her teachers and the school Principal were in our corner as we advocated for dd. Had they told us that they could indeed differenciate instruction to meet her needs, we would have preferred to keep dd in Kindergarten. They were very candid in their admission that the only thing they could do for her was to push for grade acceleration. The IAS was used to determine dd's eligibility for whole grade acceleration and her scores put her in the category where whole grade acceleration was recommended. She's very excited for the move to begin next week and I think this will be the right fit for her. Our feeling is that she is academically and socially ready. I only wish we had a crystal ball. Parenting would be much easier with it.

It sounds like you have made the right decision for your DD. I am beginning to realize that we can only make decisions about what is best right now, and worry about the future, in the future. I keep thinking about where DD will be years from now, but I just need to focus on now and what should we do for K in the fall.

Please let us know how it goes. I am interested in following your journey, as we may be in a similar situation next year.

It sounds like you have made the right decision for your DD. I am beginning to realize that we can only make decisions about what is best right now, and worry about the future, in the future. I keep thinking about where DD will be years from now, but I just need to focus on now and what should we do for K in the fall. 

:iagree: Completely.

ktmo, I HIGHLY agree with making decisions "for now" and waiting to worry about the future later. A LOT of my waffling and anxiety about my daughter and what we did when was about worrying about 3 or 14 years down the road. I wish I had just taken the next step without TOO much concern about the future. ANYTHING can be changed.

Thanks for your advice Christina.

I have actually thought to do what you have suggested. Judging by how arduous and lengthy our process has been thus far, I'm thinking the district would have to come up with another set of Guidelines for such an arrangement. I don't think they have taken lightly to us forcing their hand (believe me, it was like trying to drag a cow out to pasture) and we're happy to leave the situation as is for the moment. If things change for us in the future, homeschooling will be our next course of action.

BTW-Princess P (dd6) has taken to the new arrangement like a fish to water. Just tonight she told dh how happy she is to be in first grade and wouldn't accept going back to kindergarten. She's so happy to be learning for a change. When I picked her up from school today she told me all about how hail the size of baseballs can fall from the sky and be very dangerous. She loves that kind of stuff!

We're still in the embryonic stage, so to speak, and I don't want to speak to quickly but so far, so good. Right now we're focusing on living in the moment and taking things as they come, one day at a time.

Thanks for your advice Christina.

I have actually thought to do what you have suggested. Judging by how arduous and lengthy our process has been thus far, I'm thinking the district would have to come up with another set of Guidelines for such an arrangement. I don't think they have taken lightly to us forcing their hand (believe me, it was like trying to drag a cow out to pasture) and we're happy to leave the situation as is for the moment. If things change for us in the future, homeschooling will be our next course of action.

BTW-Princess P (dd6) has taken to the new arrangement like a fish to water. Just tonight she told dh how happy she is to be in first grade and wouldn't accept going back to kindergarten. She's so happy to be learning for a change. When I picked her up from school today she told me all about how hail the size of baseballs can fall from the sky and be very dangerous. She loves that kind of stuff!

We're still in the embryonic stage, so to speak, and I don't want to speak to quickly but so far, so good. Right now we're focusing on living in the moment and taking things as they come, one day at a time.

Thanks again for the update. I am glad that it has been a smooth transition and hope that it continues to be a good fit. I'll be following her journey.

Thanks again to you all for letting me rant and rave and share.

When I come here I feel like I'm part of the norm. Something as special and natural as enriching the lives of my children by expanding their educational experience in not looked upon favorably in the outside world. I'm oh so privileged to be a part of this community.

Did she just turn 5 Dec. 1? That would put her in K this year in my state (Michigan--and quite a few others have a Dec cut off date for K also.). Next year she would be gr 1 here no problem. If the school will do it and you feel she's ready, go for it.

It seems to me your problem is a geographical one--not a maturity one. :D

ETA: I just noticed how old this post is--glad to see it all worked out.

Edited by darlasowders

darlasowders-dd turned 6 on December 1. Yes, I would agree with you. Our initial problem was definitely a geographical problem. BTW-I don't think anyone will throw stones at your for responding to an old thread. I personally like adding comments to old ones just in case someone else can benefit from whatever I have to say. I'm from the "there is no such thing as too much information" school.

• 1 month later...

I think a lot of it depends on what your school is like, which you seem to have a good grasp on, since you have had an older daughter in this situation previously. Some of the schools around us are great at working with kids at whatever level they are prepared to work, within their age-level grade. Dd has a friend who is in second grade, but reads on a much higher level. Her teacher gives her harder material to read and is constantly trying to challenge her. When she memorized all of her addition facts and subtraction facts, they moved her on to multiplication and division. We also know another girl, in another district who is constantly being given different, more challenging work to keep up with her abilities. In our school district, they are willing to send kids to higher grades for certain subjects if they are working at that level and need the challenge. But, if your school district is not willing to do this, I would really push for skipping kindergarten.

This is actually one of the reasons we chose to homeschool dd. When she was kindergarten age, she was ready for a lot more than typical kindergarten work. By the end of her kindergarten year she was reading things like Charlotte's Web, just for fun at home in her free time, which is a third grade book in the schools here.

Just curious is it possible to find a private school? We have a small parochial school here in town where they combine grades ( prek-k , 1/2, 3/4, 5,6,7,8th grades together. They all work on the same work yet they don't push it if the child isn't ready and they challenge them if they know they are ready.

It would be worth it if you do. I would look into scholarships or any church endowments they may have available to families. My daughters will be attending private school this fall and I didn't know until we went through an open house that they had scholarship money and church endowment money available for those who could not afford it. Because I definitely can't afford to have 4 children in private school.

I would look for schools like that, that way if your ker needs to be challenged they can do that. I rarely ever think its a good idea to push kids ahead because it can catch up with them, and even if it doesn't the peer part of being the youngest can take a toll on them.