Menu

'Conservative' Reviews of Night At the Museum movie?

Can someone give their opinion of the new movie? We see so few movies in the theater that I am afraid to spend the money of it's cheesy. So...cursing/cleavage/adult potty humor/blood...anything I should be concerned about? Thanks for your thoughts~

Nothing offensive like that - it is simply not all that funny. I wrote a small review at http://www.imdb.com/ :

8 out of 13 people found the following comment useful :-

A few good moments - and Amy Adams GREAT - but overall not that good., 23 May 2009

4/10

Author: fishstep from United States

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

A few moments stand out: the countdown to takeoff at Air and Space Museum(until spoilsport Larry stops it)is exciting. Oh, I wanted to see all those planes and rockets in action! The moving photos and paintings were good (if stolen from Rowling) - why were two of the Art Institute of Chicago's works (Nighthawks and American Gothic) at the 'wrong' museum? Effective when Larry and Amelia pop into one b/w 1945 photo, only to be followed by the Bad Guys. Plus - Amy Adams, cute as a bug and sassy, was PERFECT as Amelia Earhart. She is the best thing in the film! Negatives: this film was poorly written, even for a sequel. My kids were whispering several times "But why/how..." only to have an on-screen character EXPLAIN x,y,or z. To me, that is lazy film-making. Whole scenes, too many really, simply NOT FUNNY. The theater was quiet for too much of the film.

Not a classic - just a money-making bit of summer fluff.

PS - I got distracted a bit with the game "How many actors from "The Office" can I spot in this film?"

Can someone give their opinion of the new movie? We see so few movies in the theater that I am afraid to spend the money of it's cheesy. So...cursing/cleavage/adult potty humor/blood...anything I should be concerned about? Thanks for your thoughts~

In a word, yes. From http://www.kids-in-mind.com

PROFANITY 1 - A man with a pitchfork tells another man "I will fork you," 3 mild obscenities, name-calling (big-in-the-britches, short, dum-dum, gigantor, goofy, delusional, boob, grouchy, little, freak, small little man), 1 religious exclamation.

I don't remember any cleavage, but there are naked statues that come to life. They are careful not to show anything. I also don't remember any potty humor or blood. But just because I don't remember it doesn't mean it wasn't there. I read through Kids In Mind but it makes things sounds really bad. I like pluggedinonline.com better for that reason.

YMMV on this, as on all things. On our way home we talked about plot holes and there are some big ones. One that you can drive a semi through. Overall we enjoyed the movie. It was a nice way to spend a rainy afternoon. Would I recommend it - yes. Will I buy it? Probably not.

And I'm very, very picky about which movies we see. As JFS noted, the writing may be lacking (we had to seriously suspend our disbelief several times) BUT it's a movie for kids. And my kids really liked it. I took my 4 yo, 10yo, 12yo and 14 yo. All enjoyed. Actually, the only joke I found offcolor was at the very end, when Amelia Earhart leans in and gives a sweet kiss to Larry, the night guard. There's a little mouse in Larry's shirt pocket and after the scene clears and Amelia flies off, the mouse pops up and squeals something to the effect of, "Hey, I just got to second base." That was about it as far as I could saw. I would have no problem renting this one again in the future.

HTH,

Lisa

PROFANITY 1 - A man with a pitchfork tells another man "I will fork you," 3 mild obscenities, name-calling (big-in-the-britches, short, dum-dum, gigantor, goofy, delusional, boob, grouchy, little, freak, small little man), 1 religious exclamation.

Just wanted to point out that the "boob" used here is the what . . . 1940s verion by Amelia Earhart (who is the hit of the movie IMHO) as in "Oh, don't be a big boob." No really used sexually.

Lisa

My kids loved the movie. The only thing about it that bothered me is that the male characters are, for the most part idiots. I have a family of all boys and so I guess I am a bit sensitive on that end, but movies and tv shows always seem to make men out to either be wimps or morons. My oldest who loves science was excited to see Einstein in bobblehead form. At least they did not Einstein an idiot!!!

Actually, what bothered me most was the smoky otherworld army guys.

spoiler:

One of the pharoahs uses the tablet to call forth an army of warriors. Before they become warriors, they start out as coalescing smoke from the otherworld. And someone is sent to the otherworld, so they sort of break apart into smoke. That sort of 'black magic' stuff bothers me.

I really don't recall any other things that I would normally object to (language, s*x, cleavage etc.)

Oh, and on the whole, my kids loved the movie and it was pretty harmless. There were funny scenes, but it was a sequel, so it didn't seem to have the complete charm of the original. My kids are 4 and 6, so they were thoroughly entertained and loved the movie.

I obviously can't give a personal review, but they loved it. DD thought it was better than the first one, which is a family favorite here.

I use commonsensemedia.org and pluggedinonline.com for information about movies before we see them. Neither one listed things I was especially concerned about with my kids at their current ages, and we are pretty strict about movies. YMMV, of course.

We saw it, my dh loved it, I thought it was okay. As someone mentioned the "2nd base" comment was from Owen Wilson's character and really the only thing that bothered me. Hank Azzeria (sp?) is hilarious. But he does use a tablet to summon the dead.

And I'm very, very picky about which movies we see. As JFS noted, the writing may be lacking (we had to seriously suspend our disbelief several times) BUT it's a movie for kids. And my kids really liked it. I took my 4 yo, 10yo, 12yo and 14 yo. All enjoyed. Actually, the only joke I found offcolor was at the very end, when Amelia Earhart leans in and gives a sweet kiss to Larry, the night guard. There's a little mouse in Larry's shirt pocket and after the scene clears and Amelia flies off, the mouse pops up and squeals something to the effect of, "Hey, I just got to second base." That was about it as far as I could saw. I would have no problem renting this one again in the future.

HTH,

Lisa

That was Obediah and the Roman soldier in his pocket there at the end. :001_smile:

Agreeing with poster. I remember reading harmless kid books, and hearing "clean speakers" use this word -- usually something like "Don't be a big booby!"

1boo·by audio.gifPronunciation: \ˈbü-bē\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural boobiesEtymology:modification of Spanish bobo, from Latin balbus stammering, probably of imitative originDate:1602 1 : an awkward foolish person : dope 2 : any of several tropical seabirds (genus Sula) of the gannet family

Just wanted to point out that the "boob" used here is the what . . . 1940s verion by Amelia Earhart (who is the hit of the movie IMHO) as in "Oh, don't be a big boob." No really used sexually.

Lisa

It's too expensive for a family of five. Instead we buy the movies....ALWAYS. They are only $16.99 when they come out. That's only a fraction of what it would cost for use to see it at a theater. Purchasing the movie also allows us (parents) to view it first and decide if we want our children to see it. Or if we want our children to see it with our hands on the remote to turn the t.v. off during parts that we don't want our children to see or hear. My dh is a huge movie enthusiast (his DVD collection is over 800 and counting) and enjoys buying and watching DVDs. He'll watch a movie over and over and over, whereas I'm done after seeing it once. My children also like to watch movies over and we always find something the second time around that we didn't see before. Every Friday night we spend our evenings at home laying around watching kid movies (popcorn & nachos included) early into Saturday morning. My children turn down invitations from friends if it means that they will miss movie night. We thoroughly enjoy the time together and look forward to it during the week. One Friday night my 8 y/o dd came down the stairs and said, "It smells like Friday night!" I absolutely love the fact that we've been able to create an atmosphere in which my teen ds prefers to be home with mom, dad, and sibs rather than hang out with other teens. :D

OK. Sorry. A little off topic, but I had to put in my two cents.

Val

ds5, dd8 and I went to see it- it was great, we all enjoyed it and other than the 'second base' comment I was completely fine with it. We watched the first one before going to see the 2nd one. It depends how sensitive your parameters are to if it would be appropriate, I don't like the things you listed either and try to avoid those movies altogether but I liked this one too.

Up! is opening today, you might want to check that out as far as ratings. It's a 3D movie. :)

we loved the first one...the whole family watches it repeatedly. the kids loved the second one...nothing offensive to us in it, and we're very conservative. it was just...silly. the "bad guy" had the most hilarious lisp that could get annoying after a while. amelia drove me nuts.

My DH and I thought that it was good. Not great...not terribly funny...but good.

My kids loved it though. They have been playing "Night at the Museum" all week. It's pretty funny when my DD5 cheers when Abraham Lincoln enters the scene, and has been pretending to be him all week.

It's too expensive for a family of five. Instead we buy the movies....ALWAYS. They are only $16.99 when they come out. That's only a fraction of what it would cost for use to see it at a theater. Purchasing the movie also allows us (parents) to view it first and decide if we want our children to see it. Or if we want our children to see it with our hands on the remote to turn the t.v. off during parts that we don't want our children to see or hear. My dh is a huge movie enthusiast (his DVD collection is over 800 and counting) and enjoys buying and watching DVDs. He'll watch a movie over and over and over, whereas I'm done after seeing it once. My children also like to watch movies over and we always find something the second time around that we didn't see before. Every Friday night we spend our evenings at home laying around watching kid movies (popcorn & nachos included) early into Saturday morning. My children turn down invitations from friends if it means that they will miss movie night. We thoroughly enjoy the time together and look forward to it during the week. One Friday night my 8 y/o dd came down the stairs and said, "It smells like Friday night!" I absolutely love the fact that we've been able to create an atmosphere in which my teen ds prefers to be home with mom, dad, and sibs rather than hang out with other teens. :D

OK. Sorry. A little off topic, but I had to put in my two cents.

Val

How wonderful! Your kids will have those warm family memories forever!

ds5, dd8 and I went to see it- it was great, we all enjoyed it and other than the 'second base' comment I was completely fine with it. We watched the first one before going to see the 2nd one. It depends how sensitive your parameters are to if it would be appropriate, I don't like the things you listed either and try to avoid those movies altogether but I liked this one too.

Up! is opening today, you might want to check that out as far as ratings. It's a 3D movie. :)

I was just thinking of you yesterday! Good to "see" you!