Menu

Are you tired of being dumb too?

You know I'm tired of being dumb lately. LOL.

I was a brainy kid in high school. Lately I've been missing the intellectual challenges that result from doing Calculus, Advanced Physics and such. I wanted to take some college courses but I can't afford it and to be honest the only thing that challenges me is math and technology. The rest is just rote memorization, analysis and writing, at which I excel.

I just wish I could go back to a time when I could stretch my brain like that. I think my IQ must be ten points lower. LOL.

Now I am working through a math book, but I have to work through this mind numbingly boring pre-algebra before I could get anywhere. Pooh.

Just thought I would ponder on this.

I have found that my vocabulary is coming back to me lately since I started tackling more challenging works (thanks to the 888 Challenge.) And this is catching on with my dc. It has been great!! :D

My brain had really settled to a lower level over the past few years, but now I am thinking of having to gear up for teaching high school, and I am looking for ways to bring it all back.

I am also working thorugh pre-algebra with my two dds. I had forgotten a LOT of it, LOL! :o

I feel more educated than I have ever have been now that I homeschool my boys. I also know what I don't know which was a huge revelation for this college graduate.

I'm working on higher level grammar to stay ahead of my boys. I'm also learning Latin so that I can teach it. I loved to read as a child, but my reading selections were not guided, so I read a lot of twaddle. I'm now trying to read through the classics; at least the ones that I want to discuss with my boys.

There are so many things that I want to do, but don't have the time and/or energy. I would like to start studying logic on a more consistent basis. In addition, I'm seeing the need to teach a more axiom based approach to Algebra which means I need to learn it first.

There's so much to do and so little time...I'm trying to prioritize, but it's all seems so good.

I know exactly what you mean. I was talking about this to another mom the other day. Then I told how they said on the morning news show once that learning a language was great for older people because it exercises a part of the brain we don't really stretch. Granted they were talking about retirees but I am hoping that some of this latin learning will help me feel like I am doing something.

I have just been thinking about this and thinking of finding a math book I could use to self-study. I did pre-calc in college but I am pretty sure I need to start back at algebra and hopefully go back up quickly. I also want to study literature and history that I didn't get and plan to do some of the Well Educated mind stuff and am reading SWB's History of the World book. I don't know when I will find the time for all this but maybe I can do part of it.

Why, yes, I am. Last night, I spent about 45 minutes at Kat in GA's blog trying to solve a math problem she has listed in her weekly report. I actually had the right answer, but it didn't seem right because it was just twice the number listed in the problem. I posted in her comments about my struggles. LOL

Not sure what I'm going to do about it though... I have lots of ideas. But diving into learning would mean giving up my vegetative "free time" which I currently spend online. Am I ready for that??

Luanne -- what Latin did you pick?

I have had some awful intellectual changes since I was in college, so much so that I suspect I must have some underlying problem. Some days I find it difficult to speak and I have to stop to find the correct word to use. I mean words like "door," not big words!

I will tell you something funny. When my grandmother became elderly she had suffered from some small strokes which affected her memory. When my father would tell her a particular joke she would howl with laughter at the punchline. The next day he'd speak to her he'd tell her the same joke and she'd laugh just as hard because she wouldn't remember the joke from that last time he told it. This made his job of entertaining her very easy.

While my memory is not quite that bad, I do keep running across things in math, such as the geometric series in one form or another, and I won't recognize it as such or how I handled it the last time. Although after a review I still marvel at how wonderful it is. The good thing about a bad memory is that the beautiful music, stories, and math just don't get "old."

Working on my own is so much more pleasurable than being forced to do it on someone else's schedule. While there were topics that I enjoyed studying in college, it mostly seemed like work. Even if I enjoyed the topic, I didn't appreciate having to study it when I wasn't in the mood or being rushed through it without being able to explore questions that naturally came up.

There are some advantages to self-study.

Sandra, I know you're not fond of your library, but see if they have Teaching Company courses. A lot of libraries carry these and they have quite a few math and physics courses. I really enjoyed Alex Filippenko's Understanding the Universe astronomy course. They have one called Joy of Mathematics that also looks good. I also enjoyed Particle Physics for Non-physicists by Steven Pollock, but that might not be a great choice if you've done a lot of physics.

I have had some awful intellectual changes since I was in college, so much so that I suspect I must have some underlying problem. Some days I find it difficult to speak and I have to stop to find the correct word to use. I mean words like "door," not big words!

I'm experiencing the same problem. When I talk, I cannot seem to find the direct object that I'm looking for; usually everyday, ordinary words. It's very frustrating, but I contribute it to trying to do or thing too many things at once. I thought I was good at multi-tasking, but maybe I'm not. If you find a solution, please let me know.

I'm experiencing the same problem. When I talk, I cannot seem to find the direct object that I'm looking for; usually everyday, ordinary words. It's very frustrating, but I contribute it to trying to do or thing too many things at once. I thought I was good at multi-tasking, but maybe I'm not. If you find a solution, please let me know.

Sigh. Same here. It's amazing how many times the phrase "The ... the thing, you know, the thing!" falls out of my mouth.

I've heard it joked about on the internet as "Deficient Noun Disease."

I think I've been getting worse at multi-tasking. I've always been very, very good at it. But more often I find myself unable to cope when four people are talking to me at the same time *and* I'm trying to focus on the task at hand. My brain freezes and I have to stop, and make everyone talk in turns.

For the OP - learning Latin, and tackling some of the Great Books, has helped my brain a great deal. My dh has taken over higher math in this house, and I kind of regret that; I'd have had to learn it along with my son, and I was looking forward to the challenge. However, for now, I've got three other kids to teach basic math to, and my time is limited.

after I saw it had been moved from the curriculum board. I do feel dumb often but not in the factual sense. Let me see if I can put this into words...

I have always thought of myself as smart person. I made excellent grades all the way through school and college (graduated with high honors - the whole bit). I am not saying that to brag, just give some background. What I have learned since beginning to homeschool is that I do not know how to think. I am excellent at reading a text and spitting back out the facts. That's why I did so well in school. Ask me to tell you what I think about what I just read - well that's another story. No one ever taught me how to process - just regurgitate.

I have read lots and lots of posts similar to this one and have learned much. I have so far to go in my own self-education. Before the board switched I asked momof7 how do you teach your children to think if you your self don't really know how to do that! One of the ladies who responsed said that she knew just how I felt b/c she too was a student who "validated the educational system". That's me and I am working hard to remedy that - but it's a long road. Sigh.

Glad to know others are struggling with feeling a little dumb and just thought I would add my experience to encourage someone else if they were feeling like me. I know it made me feel better to know others were in the same boat!

I think I've been getting worse at multi-tasking. I've always been very, very good at it. But more often I find myself unable to cope when four people are talking to me at the same time *and* I'm trying to focus on the task at hand. My brain freezes and I have to stop, and make everyone talk in turns.

This made me laugh.

And it describes me to a T.

Maybe it is a symptom of aging. :eek:

Why, yes, I am. Last night, I spent about 45 minutes at Kat in GA's blog trying to solve a math problem she has listed in her weekly report. I actually had the right answer, but it didn't seem right because it was just twice the number listed in the problem. I posted in her comments about my struggles. LOL

Not sure what I'm going to do about it though... I have lots of ideas. But diving into learning would mean giving up my vegetative "free time" which I currently spend online. Am I ready for that??

Hi, Lee!!

Don't feel badly about having trouble with a math problem; you should have seen the dumb question I asked about one of my sons' math problems a couple of days ago. Actually you can still see the dumb question as I asked it on the curriculum board and I'm sure it is still there in all its glory. :eek:

I'm not Luanne, but thought I would share that I'm working through Henle Latin. Unfortunately, I'm not working through it quite as quickly as I'm requiring my boys to work through it (see your note re: vegatative "free time" above ;)); therefore, they will be in an online class beginning in the fall. Anyway, I think Henle would be a good choice for an adult beginning their Latin studies. Have you ever looked at Henle?

Oh, I've felt this way many times. I find reading more intellectual or scholarly books helps, as opposed to fiction. Also, doing some research project helps. We also have a divorced friend who likes deep conversations, so when he comes over it spices things up around here. My dh isn't a big talker.

No one ever taught me how to process - just regurgitate.

Wow - I could have written your post! I've been pondering this very thing lately. I was so "smart" and now I find that I'm actually dumb! (Maybe not dumb - uneducated? not wise? ignorant?) Is this where wisdom starts - when you realize how much you don't know?

And thanks for this thread! I second (third?) the Teaching Company tapes - I've enjoyed the ones I've listened to.

I will tell you something funny. When my grandmother became elderly she had suffered from some small strokes which affected her memory. When my father would tell her a particular joke she would howl with laughter at the punchline. The next day he'd speak to her he'd tell her the same joke and she'd laugh just as hard because she wouldn't remember the joke from that last time he told it. This made his job of entertaining her very easy.

While my memory is not quite that bad, I do keep running across things in math, such as the geometric series in one form or another, and I won't recognize it as such or how I handled it the last time. Although after a review I still marvel at how wonderful it is. The good thing about a bad memory is that the beautiful music, stories, and math just don't get "old."

Working on my own is so much more pleasurable than being forced to do it on someone else's schedule. While there were topics that I enjoyed studying in college, it mostly seemed like work. Even if I enjoyed the topic, I didn't appreciate having to study it when I wasn't in the mood or being rushed through it without being able to explore questions that naturally came up.

There are some advantages to self-study.

This is a long-shot, and certainly not a cure-all for other people. But, I had a few years just like this in my early to mid 30's, and was finally diagnosed with depression. I certainly didn't feel "depressed," but stressed and grouchy. I started on an anti-depressants and Omega 3, Gingko and began exercising. Within a month, everyone noticed a significant difference in my interactions. My vocabulary increased substantially and I lost my struggle for words and concepts.

So, just an FYI, it is worth mentioning your symptoms to your doctor. And, as an aside, my migraine frequency has decreased, too! I used to get them at least weekly, and now, I get an attack every few months.

to start with that and see how it goes. I've never been real good at learning foreign languages so... if I decide it is too easy or whatever then I will reevaluate.

Thanks for asking. ... now to just get doing it. LOL