Menu

Reading TWTM and kind of freaking out...

So, I finally got my copy of TWTM and I couldn't wait to sink my teeth in it. Now while reading I realize I have missed to boat on DD. Even on little DS, I haven't done a lot of what I should have been doing. He is easier though...no big deal.

However, here I am with a DD coming out of PS who does not have:

~The grammar foundation she should have, as a matter of fact, I do not even know WHERE she is.

~Much of a history background except American. That is all she has studied at school.

She is going to be starting on a 7th grade level in Math, but everything else 6th (I hope).

What test can I use to see where I need to start her in grammar?

She reads very well, she writes well (except for spelling, which is horrible), she is a science junkie, and catches things really quickly. Last night when I was quizzing her on what a pronoun and adverb etc. were, she could not tell me. I remember her doing these in school. Obviously, she did just enough to get through it and moved on.

I am so mad and feel like I have done her a dis-service by not HS her from day one. :(

So, I finally got my copy of TWTM and I couldn't wait to sink my teeth in it. Now while reading I realize I have missed to boat on DD. Even on little DS, I haven't done a lot of what I should have been doing. He is easier though...no big deal.

However, here I am with a DD coming out of PS who does not have:

~The grammar foundation she should have, as a matter of fact, I do not even know WHERE she is.

~Much of a history background except American. That is all she has studied at school.

She is going to be starting on a 7th grade level in Math, but everything else 6th (I hope).

What test can I use to see where I need to start her in grammar?

She reads very well, she writes well (except for spelling, which is horrible), she is a science junkie, and catches things really quickly. Last night when I was quizzing her on what a pronoun and adverb etc. were, she could not tell me. I remember her doing these in school. Obviously, she did just enough to get through it and moved on.

I am so mad and feel like I have done her a dis-service by not HS her from day one. :(

My advise to you is to start off slowly. Don't make her hate homeschooling! Talk to her first about what you're going to focus on and why. She's old enough to understand that. She's also old enough to have some say in curriculum and what she'll study.

Most grammar programs have review each year. I would just get a 6th grade program and work through it. If it's too difficult, find some practice sheets to review online before each section in the book.

For spelling, I would get a program that focuses on spelling rules.

For history, I would just start at the beginning and work my way through!

I wish I had really learned grammar, how to diagram sentences, etc. in school. I never did. When didn't start learning all that stuff until I was seventeen and set out to really learn a foreign language. In the process of learning that foreign language I think I came away with a pretty darn good grasp of grammar. (Although I still read books about grammar on my own--there is just SO much to learn.) Are your kids studying a foreign language? I really think concepts like transitive verses intransitive verbs are more easily understood and more interesting when you can see how that all works in two languages.

I started my fourth grader in the beginning exercises & moved quickly through the grammar/narration/dictation work. He will be on grade level this next year.

As for history, I just use SOTW as a supplement to what I was already doing. We missed ANCIENTS completely, but I didn't worry b/c I can't remember my elementary experiences with history/social studies anyway. By the 7th grade, we will be hitting Ancients. Plus, he will remember more of it. In your case, one idea is to pick an era that she has never had or that she looks very interesting to her.

I still concentrate heavily on American History & weave in and out with the SOTW. I am want them to have a strong foundation in the founding fathers, Constitution, division of gov't powers, and pioneer struggles. Modern Am. History is more important in public schools but we won't spend too much time in it. They can get that as they are in high school & we look at current events/ culture, etc.

Just start from the beginning of the grammar & you pick & chose as she progresses. With History... just pick a place that looks interesting and begin your rotation!

You will shine!!!

It's extremely, extremely easy to "get by" in ps. Don't fault her too much for that. And don't beat yourself up for not hsing from day one - you have her NOW. She hasn't graduated; it's not too late.

I'm sorry I can't offer anything more helpful! :)

My oldest<she was in 9th>, when she was learning Latin with my mom, had to have grammar explained. It's really something that they just don't touch at school..much...anymore. I think she maybe knew nouns and verbs...but not really anything beyond that. We live in a really good school system...and she qualifies for Honors courses...

She'll catch up quickly...if you don't end up fighting, first:-) Start slowly...I started homeschooling in 6th grade....don't freak on her...and let her know how frustrated you are....My mom found out I didn't know alot of info....But..it'll get there fine if you're patient.

I have to say that Classical Conversations' CD goes over much of the info you'd want her to know... 3 cycles would be a really good base. Or, Shurley Grammar, you can buy the cd seperately and have her just listen to the 6th or 7th grader jingles. (I'd burn a Classical Conversations cd...and insert the Shurley Grammar grammar right on where the parts of speech are on the CC cd...<instead of the CC definition>, or just burn the CC cd without the grammar portion...and just pick that up from Shurley's) I'd let her listen to it all summer....and then see where she is in a few months....(like mid August)

Carrie:-)

I pulled my son home this year, mid-way. He is 4th grade. I was always told how very, very smart he was. He is my stepson of 2 years now. His teachers babied him and did not follow up to see that he learned much of anything specifically because his mother was ill and dying. I get angry (I keep it to myself, for the most part!) because of the disservice!! He was mid 4th grade and still not borrowing and carrying over with confidence, and his multiplication skills were existent at best... not really "in there". Division steps... he can follow them, but continues to make many mistakes. He is really struggling. He will not get to stop math lessons at all over the summer. Because he was babied and wandered the classroom and was not expected to follow the rules (sit and work), he missed out on a lot of information that we now have to work through. He is a bright boy, by the way, and one of the smartest in some ways that I've ever known... BUT he has some bad habits to correct... he does not like having to apply himself because he has never HAD to before.

So, take a deep breath with me and we're going to make it through!

Take some time to bond with her... meaning, have some happy times... approach this with joy as much as possible. It's hard work and we see the big "education" picture and they are still children and don't see it the way we do. Try not to put your concerns onto her. (I am not saying that you are doing that... just offering the advice that you keep an eye out for not showing her your frustration with where she is at) Help her to see, if possible, the great aspects of homeschool so that she will want to be a team player with you...

Well, I'm still using old WTM recs, because I think they work well. I'd start her in Abeka grammar at a sixth grade level, since that's what you're predominantly covering. Grammar repeats every year, with a little more detail and difficulty, but she sounds like a bright girl; I feel sure she can handle it. Or Rod and Staff grammar is fine, too. If you want something secular, I think KISS grammar, online, is supposed to be good. I've not used it, but others here can probably tell you about it.

I'd also use Spelling workout; the later levels of it are more than just spelling. They really are a word study, too. You might drop back to a fourth grade level book and do two books in a year (two lessons per week - skip some of the workpages, like the last page of each lesson, which is bonus words and editing practice). That would be level D and E. Then next year, you could do F and G and she'd be caught up to a seventh grade level. You could still do level H in eighth grade as well as a word study book, as neither takes that much time. That would bring you more in line with what WTM recommends, if that's what you want.

Most all schools do practically nothing but U.S. history, so that's not unusual. You're going to remedy that now and she'll be none the worse for it. And it sounds like things are fine in the science arena for you, too.

Good luck with your adventure!

Over the summer, you can have her read a short world history book. Take a look at Van Loon, Gombrich or CHOW depending on her reading level. Any of these would work and wouldn't be too much for summer. Your goal is just a bit of familiarity with the timeline of history. If she's a very visual learner, she might even prefer something like the Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia of World History.

For grammar, have her watch Schoolhouse Rock's grammar songs. Rufus Xavier Sasparilla and Lolly, Lolly, Lolly will quickly and painlessly teach what a pronoun and adverb are. Then you can choose a grammar program to start in the fall with a much better base than you have now.

I haven't had a chance to get a copy of TWTM yet...but one thing that I have avoided since starting homeschooling is diagramming sentances, etc :o As someone who loves to write, and has a child that also loves writing fiction and is a total book fiend, ripping apart language is something that I always abhorred in school. I'm fully prepared to have my mind changed after finally getting a copy of TWTM though. :D

You know what? Over time, you will make up the disservice that was done to her. Take it slowly at the beginning...make it fun. Don't attempt to get her all caught up in one year. We can't change what's already happened...we can only move forward.

Good luck in your endeavor!

It's all going to work out! Don't be so hard on yourself. She has plenty of time to get caught up on grammar and she will learn it quickly at this age. Now, if you find a way to make her a good speller let me know. :0 One of mine is and one isn't.

when I started homeschooling my oldest was just about finished grade 5. we went right back to the beginning with grammar. he really moved through the books quickly. doing 2 per year. so now he is in year 9 and right where he should be.

we started out with 3 subjects, and introduced an new subject each month. that way it wasn't to overwhelming for my children or myself.

Thankfully you're able to bring her home now:001_smile: I brought my oldest home for a few years (7th and 8th) because ps had really let her/us down. She was a few grade levels behind in math, and had learned virtually nothing in grammar.

A Beka is fantastic for learning grammar. In fact, when she went back into ps she was working ahead of her grade level. As for math, she caught up to grade level, and--here's the most important thing--she'd regained her confidence.

As the others said, take it slow and enjoy your time together. With your focused attention, the learning will follow.