Menu

Really BIG decision - should I get some bangs?

LOL!

I have brunette hair (with some Arctic blondes) that is touching my shoulders. It is currently all one length except for the fact that a some of it around the top of my forehead is subject to breakage. It is fine in texture. I have a widow's peak. I want my hair to grow longer, and I want it to be long enough to pull up in a pony tail (which it currently is). I am basically trying to decide if I should get some bangs. I have in my head that this will make me look "younger." The fact that the front part is prone to breakage is making me think I should get some bangs. I do not have a super large forehead. I have two friends saying to do it, and two friends saying that my face is too small. It is pretty much oval in shape. I don't want a heavy bang...something wispy.

Any thoughts?

My hair up top has had problems with breakage, too. I like to taper it up to the front (and have long layers farther back). That way, I don't have bangs, but I do have some shorter hair to frame my face when it's pulled back. Did that make any sense?

You described my hair exactly except that mine is mid-back length. I have long, straight, brown hair that is all one length. I, too, have problems with breakage in front, partially because it gets caught in my glasses. I tried the bang thing and I hated it.

One the other hand, I can tell you from experience that if you hate it, you can always grow it out.

I never had them...just long layers framing my face. But, once I did it, you wouldn't believe the compliments I received, namely that they make me look younger. The best part is they cover those developing frown lines on my forehead. I really like them

Of course now, due to chemo, I have no hair and it seems that those frown lines jump out at me when I look in the mirror. I'd give anything for some botox.:001_smile:

LOL!

I have brunette hair (with some Arctic blondes) that is touching my shoulders. It is currently all one length except for the fact that a some of it around the top of my forehead is subject to breakage. It is fine in texture. I have a widow's peak. I want my hair to grow longer, and I want it to be long enough to pull up in a pony tail (which it currently is). I am basically trying to decide if I should get some bangs. I have in my head that this will make me look "younger." The fact that the front part is prone to breakage is making me think I should get some bangs. I do not have a super large forehead. I have two friends saying to do it, and two friends saying that my face is too small. It is pretty much oval in shape. I don't want a heavy bang...something wispy.

Any thoughts?

I have to laugh, since I have been thinking about growing mine out. I have had them most of my life and would like a change. Growing them out is hard, though.

Make a "Y" with your hand by extending your pinky and thumb outward while folding the rest of your fingers in.

(Are you still with me?)

Now lay that thumb along the bottom of your chin (pointing toward your windpipe) and see where your pinky lands. Is it in the middle of your forehead? If it is, then you would likely look good with bangs. If your pinky lands nearer to your hairline, then you should probably NOT get bangs.

At least, that's what my hairdresser once told me. I don't know if there's an ounce of truth to that or not. (LOL)

My pinky lands in a good spot for bangs according to your hairdresser, but I have a big ol' nose, so I am wondering if that is distorting the results! :lol:

I never had them...just long layers framing my face. But, once I did it, you wouldn't believe the compliments I received, namely that they make me look younger. The best part is they cover those developing frown lines on my forehead. I really like them

Of course now, due to chemo, I have no hair and it seems that those frown lines jump out at me when I look in the mirror. I'd give anything for some botox.:001_smile:

I can see why you got compliments! I think your hair is darling in that picture. I am sorry about your treatment and loss of hair. This makes me sad for you.

I've had bangs most of my life. When I 'Y', my finger lands in the middle of my forehead...in other words, I have a high, wide forehead that needs to be covered. ;)

I like bangs. The only downside to trying them is if you don't like them they are a bit of a pain to grow out.

I say try them...get a pro to cut them for you.

I "Y"-ed my face and my pinky lands in the middle of my forehead. It's not surprising because I have a high forehead, lol. I've been wearing bangs for years just for that reason.

If you want bangs, go for it. It's just hair and will grow back if you don't like them. :)

When I was making the Big Bang Decision I pulled some of my hair onto my face and sort of bunched it up at bang level.

I could INSTANTLY see that I would look better with bangs. Maybe you'll be able to tell so easily as well.

(And now that I see pix of me w/o bangs, I look so harsh. Bangs make me look softer.)

When I was making the Big Bang Decision I pulled some of my hair onto my face and sort of bunched it up at bang level.

I could INSTANTLY see that I would look better with bangs. Maybe you'll be able to tell so easily as well.

(And now that I see pix of me w/o bangs, I look so harsh. Bangs make me look softer.)

I love this! The "Big Bang Decision." Too funny!

About 5 months ago, I switched hair stylists, and this one said she'd like to give me bangs, so I said she could. They are on the long side and swoop to the side. I get so many compliments now, and I really love them actually. I went with the mindset that I can grow them out if I don't like them.

I can't believe it.

I just did the Y-thing, too.

Good thing Karen's hairstylist didn't say, "Ok, now go stand in traffic..."

Or maybe it's just me. ;)

Cat

Hanging my head in shame...I did it, too.

Here is a problem with that method. though. With my right hand, my pinky barely reaches my eyebrow level. With my left hand, it is in the middle of my forehead. :001_huh:

Here is a problem with that method. though. With my right hand, my pinky barely reaches my eyebrow level. With my left hand, it is in the middle of my forehead. :001_huh:

I think it's funny! Probably most everyone who read that post did the Y thing! :lol: I did. And, now that you mention it it IS different depending on which hand I use, though not significantly. Good observation!

I don't look good without bangs, so I have had them for ages! I say get the bangs!

Now I guess I'll go out and stand in traffic....oh wait, the hairdresser didn't say that! Whew!:tongue_smilie:

Make a "Y" with your hand by extending your pinky and thumb outward while folding the rest of your fingers in.

(Are you still with me?)

Now lay that thumb along the bottom of your chin (pointing toward your windpipe) and see where your pinky lands. Is it in the middle of your forehead? If it is, then you would likely look good with bangs. If your pinky lands nearer to your hairline, then you should probably NOT get bangs.

At least, that's what my hairdresser once told me. I don't know if there's an ounce of truth to that or not. (LOL)

I have no idea what she just said, but I personally think that long bangs are good, with some long layers to go with it. All one length is not good for fine/thin hair. You need some texture, some style and shape.

Ok, I'm no expert, but it sounds like you need bangs on the left side of your face, but the right side looks better without them. :tongue_smilie:

Also, are you sure both of those hands were yours? ;)

And you know, after reading your post, I had to do the Y-thing all over again to see if I got the same results with both hands.

I am such an idiot. :glare:

Cat

Cat

Go for it. I just gave in and tried bangs again for the first time since junior high. I had memories of them hanging limply on my forehead, but decided it was worth one more try since they might do something to conceal my "stripes" (what my 3 year old calls the lines I get when I am not pleased with him). So I mustered up the courage, and I am so pleased with the results.... Somehow, my bangs naturally sweep slightly to the side and have lots of volume. They actually look a lot like my sister's always did after 15 minutes with a curling iron and a can of hairspray!