Menu

No tank top/no strapless/no spaghetti gals: what do you love to wear?

The 'no strapless' thread has me thinking. If you find tank tops, spaghetti straps, or strapless garments to be inappropriate, what do you wear in the heat? How about in the pool or at a beach?

I am not opposed to these kinds of tops (I even own a strapless swimsuit that, to me, seems more modest that some with-strap suits I see out there), but when shopping I find myself looking for, hmmm..., a little less 'va-voom' than I used to wear. ;)

I am genuinely interested in finding some stylish, up-to-date, non-frumpy, yet modest-ish clothing that is comfortable in the summer.

I'd especially like to see your links to specific items that you love.

My girls have all asked for rash guards for swimming. Their reasons for asking are for modesty's sake, but the plus is added protection from the sun's rays.

Here's what they look like, but we get ours at a local sporting goods store.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=393&gclid=CP_D-o6dyZoCFQFqxwodcnOf2g

For tops we like these http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/brandspetites/sagharbor/tops/PRD~461433/Sag+Harbor+Floral+Shirt.jsp

Loose fitting helps keep us cool.

My younger dd just likes short sleeve tees.

hth!

They are sleeveless but not strappy like tanks.

I like the CAbI ones made out of microfiber with the double layered fronts. They hit high enough to not be too cleavage-ish, but low enough to be nice and cool. They look nice with pants, jeans, business skirts, dressy skirts and under jackets--very versatile!

I also like upscale cotton t-shirts, with a tasteful design, maybe light, non-flashy beading on them.

You got it ! Finding swimwear which is modest, as we understand the word, is extraordinarily difficult ! I was a bit amused while shopping this year -- amused in the "cross-eyed" sense, that is -- because nearly every time that I found a girl's tank suit with a "crew neck" front, I flipped over the suit only to discover a nearly non-existent backside !

Two years ago I solved my own problem by buying a short-sleeved top and capri-length leggings-type bottoms from the exercise-wear department. The pieces were made of fabric which I scarcely could distinguish from "swimsuit material." The kids cracked a couple of jokes about the "gay nineties" attire, but agreed that my suit was both modest and functional. I held my breath the first time I went to the pool in case the "in charge" staff questioned me, but nobody did. So I'm comfortable, and have a comfortable "swimsuit" !

There are "modest swimwear" companies on the Internet, but their products are prohibitively expensive. In contrast, my odd-ball suit cost just a tad over $20.00.

Well, I nurse and I don't like my upper arms so my favorites are button-ups or slip-overs with 3/4 sleeves, with or without a tank underneath. Target and Lands End have some cute things, I also bought a slimming stretch style at Walmart recently.

So I bought a couple of sleeveless collared shirts last year at Ann Taylor Loft. They are 100% cotton, and look great right out of the dryer. They

had a bit of a wrap styling to them, and a below the waist hemline. Make sense?

I can't find the exact thing on the LOFT website right now, but maybe you get the idea....

My preferred summer uniform is shorts and white or light colored tees. I also have a few sleeveless button downs. I actually find the loose fitting tees and button downs cooler to wear that tank tops.

At the pool I wear a tank suit. I swim for fitness and I like the pool for fun activity with the kids, so I go to the pool a lot. I have a tee shirt cover up that hangs to my knees that I wear to and from the pool.

They are sleeveless but not strappy like tanks.

I like the CAbI ones made out of microfiber with the double layered fronts. They hit high enough to not be too cleavage-ish, but low enough to be nice and cool. They look nice with pants, jeans, business skirts, dressy skirts and under jackets--very versatile!

I also like upscale cotton t-shirts, with a tasteful design, maybe light, non-flashy beading on them.

I LOVE Cabi too - plus I love supporting businesses owned by Christians!

I always have a tanktop on, but they're always under something. I wear tank tops for nursing instead of bras (I don't like my belly to show). I wear them under lightweight solid knit ponchos (versus the open-crochet style), solid colored tees (I love the Target basic tee-shirt), and button-down shirts (elbow-length sleeves, capped sleeves, and sleeveless). My favorite fabric is seersucker--it is lightweight and breathes very well.

I wear these shirts with cargo shorts, knit shorts, or skirts of all kinds. I love skirts--air conditioning! :)

I hate shopping for swim suits. I am so glad they have started making tankinis and skirted bottoms. I like tankinis because they cover my belly and they are easier to take off than one-piece suits for when ya gotta go. Land's End has a huge variety and the skirted bottoms are long enough I don't feel all exposed. I also like that Land's End lets you pick and choose/mix and match your tops and bottoms.

I always have a tanktop on, but they're always under something. I wear tank tops for nursing instead of bras (I don't like my belly to show). I wear them under lightweight solid knit ponchos (versus the open-crochet style), solid colored tees (I love the Target basic tee-shirt), and button-down shirts (elbow-length sleeves, capped sleeves, and sleeveless). My favorite fabric is seersucker--it is lightweight and breathes very well.

I wear these shirts with cargo shorts, knit shorts, or skirts of all kinds. I love skirts--air conditioning! :)

I hate shopping for swim suits. I am so glad they have started making tankinis and skirted bottoms. I like tankinis because they cover my belly and they are easier to take off than one-piece suits for when ya gotta go. Land's End has a huge variety and the skirted bottoms are long enough I don't feel all exposed. I also like that Land's End lets you pick and choose/mix and match your tops and bottoms.

I love the Land's End suits! I have 2 of the skirted ones -- one is very sporty and will stay up no matter what. The other is the aforementioned strapless one -- it has a skirt, and the top, while strapless, is very 'blousy' and not revealing, in my opinion.

I'm interested in trying their swim shorts, but wonder if they're comfortable at all. It seems that they would be even heavier than the skirts when wet.

I don't wear a bathing suit/go to the beach/pool.

I wear simple short sleeve tops and sometimes a thin button down short-sleeve top with a tank top underneath. I wear long airy skirts in the summer.

Where do go for long, summery skirts? I am not much of a store shopper (live in a rural area) but browse online.

I think that tanks or shells are great, I usually wear mine with another blouse as a "jacket". This allows for lots of air circulation but a bit more covered. I think I look goofy in short sleeves (and burn quickly) so I go with this look or 3/4 sleeves in summer for out in public. Stick with natural fibers for the heat.

Where do go for long, summery skirts? I am not much of a store shopper (live in a rural area) but browse online.

I'd love to find more long skirts. I just don't see many of them this year. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Honestly, my only luck has been the thrift store. I have been able to find some that have still had the tags on them. It has become almost impossible to find long skirts in regular stores. I know when Sears carries denim or khaki skirts, they sell out almost immediately, so that should indicate that there is some demand for skirts.

I bought my denim "riding" skirts from www.chadwicks.com. They also carry a lot of skirts, but they are usually too short these days.

Even before I started being concerned about dressing in modest attire, I liked wearing long, cute floral skirts in the summer.

Honestly, my only luck has been the thrift store. I have been able to find some that have still had the tags on them. It has become almost impossible to find long skirts in regular stores. I know when Sears carries denim or khaki skirts, they sell out almost immediately, so that should indicate that there is some demand for skirts.

I bought my denim "riding" skirts from www.chadwicks.com. They also carry a lot of skirts, but they are usually too short these days.

Even before I started being concerned about dressing in modest attire, I liked wearing long, cute floral skirts in the summer.

I always check at TJMaxx/Marshall's. They actually have a few right now, but you are very dependent on what is in store *right* when you are there!!

H & M also sometimes have really long skirts.

How funny! This is where I found the skirts I am wearing now - the Thrift Store.

Well, what's wrong with saving some money and getting what we want? There is no way I can way pants in the kind of heat that assails us here every summer.

I agree that thrift stores are excellent places to find long skirts. You might also try Coldwater Creek and Orvis. Both carry lots of long skirts. They are expensive, though, so I always wait until they are on clearance. We have a Coldwater Creek outlet nearby and my dd and I check their discount rack if we're in the area.

Ebay is another good source, but you must be very careful about measurements. Try ebay for Orvis, Talbots, Chadwick's, and J. Crew skirts. Check the listing (or ask) about the waist measurement, length, pockets, and whether there is a slit.

If you are patient and keep your eyes open, you can find many longer skirts - it just takes time.

Blessings,

GardenMom

Wow! I see a lot of people mentioning button down shirts and skirts. I don't understand how you can wear either as I find both incredibly uncomfortable.

Button-down shirts seem prohibitive for movement for me. I feel like I'm in a straight jacket, especially if they are longer sleeve. I look better in them, especially if they are more fitted (with a waist), but I just can't get comfortable.

I like long skirts but my thighs rub and chaff, especially in the heat. Ow! I've rubbed my thighs raw in just 10-15 minutes in the heat. I've tried wearing undergarments with legs but they ride up, defeating the purpose, or are uncomfortably hot or tight.

So, I just stick with jeans and a cotton t-shirt most of the time now.

How do you manage to wear these things???

Wow! I see a lot of people mentioning button down shirts and skirts. I don't understand how you can wear either as I find both incredibly uncomfortable.

Button-down shirts seem prohibitive for movement for me. I feel like I'm in a straight jacket, especially if they are longer sleeve. I look better in them, especially if they are more fitted (with a waist), but I just can't get comfortable.

I like long skirts but my thighs rub and chaff, especially in the heat. Ow! I've rubbed my thighs raw in just 10-15 minutes in the heat. I've tried wearing undergarments with legs but they ride up, defeating the purpose, or are uncomfortably hot or tight.

So, I just stick with jeans and a cotton t-shirt most of the time now.

How do you manage to wear these things???

The button-down shirts I have are not tight fitting and are made of very loose material. One of them is a little translucent, and I wear an undershirt with it. T-shirts are hard to wear by themselves for me because I perspire so much in the summer, and I don't like the wetness to show. I'm okay in our house, but many people keep their houses so hot in the summer that it makes me sweat like crazy.

With the skirts and thighs rubbing together. Honestly, this diminishes as I lose weight. I'm not where I need to be, but when I am properly toned, this is not an issue at all. My thigs only do that when I'm extremely hot, and since I am a wimp, I try to avoid the heat of summer. I really think this Irish, English, Dutch girl is supposed to live somewhere else.

PS -- A little baby powder helps as well.

Christopher & Banks has long skirts. I got a bunch last year. Last week I found one there, but do admit that mostly they're shorter this year. They also have an online store.

We find long skirts for my DD9 at Goodwill since now everything is SO short. Our score!!

HTH,

Kimm in WA

My girls and I have a hard time finding shirts that aren't sleeveless or tank tops. We have to hunt for them sometimes, depending on the year. Summer dresses are generally even more tough, too.

We wear short sleeve shirts. Some years, the style is a cap sleeve (I think it's called) and so it isn't super-long, but it covers the shoulders. Most of the time, we just have on regular short sleeve shirts - t-shirt style or button downs (sometimes with a tank top under.) Light colors help on hot days.

When we swim (just the girls usually,) we wear swimsuits with a tank-top style top, but we all wear shorts over our suit. I am not worried about shoulders showing in the pool, but I don't like to see their bottoms hanging out. :)

Three issues here:

bfeeding mom with vitiligo on my arms (lack of pigmentation so my upper arms have blotchy coloring) - for coverage I have to wear longer sleeves, which in summer, isn't too fun

bfeeding mom (I'm coming to realize even Target's basic Tshirts look immodest) and along with that issue, button up shirts still gap a bit unless I wear a large size, then my belly looks huge when it isn't, kwim?

curvy hips - wearing skirts with my hips (unless the material is stretchy rayony type) seems to accentuate my curves

DH loves it when it's just the two of us, but in terms of dressing so as not to cause one to stumble...not so sure unless I wear again a large size and end up looking as large as the front door

Being honest, I totally u/stand and embrace the modesty issue but there's still a - um - rebel - in me that just doesn't want to compromise on fashion.

Oh yeah, I won't be bfeeding forever so purchasing a $40 top for 6 more months of cuddle time isn't really smart. Goodwill I guess is my answer on that one??

Thanks for the discussion, it's a good one for us females to have and check ourselves occasionally on. Also, it's a great exercise in teaching our young girls through example because boy do they notice the older women in their lives. NPressure there!

Nursing tank under regular light cotton / silk / rayon / polyester button down shirt? One of those tube-shaped things to cover your back and stomach? Both of those options run about $20 and are more flexible than only one shirt. I've breastfed my kids for more than 6 months without spending much on special clothes. (Plus I think it's fair to factor in money saved on not buying formula.)

I don't wear short stuff anyway, but for me, loose + thin material = cool. I find knits to be very hot, as well as jeans. Desert-dwelling people tend to wear loose, light clothes that cover them, so there's something to recommend it.