Menu

how do you cover 'current events' w/ your kids?

Stacia

We don't really have a "program" we follow, but we talk with them about the main stories of the day; I've noticed that dh does this a lot now with my upcoming 6th grader; as dh is reading the newspaper he'll call him over and show him something or talk to him about a topic. They also watch the news with us (well, usually they're in the same room but the oldest at least is listening). And I try to tie in things with our studies as they come up; for example last week we were reading in history about how settlers brought smallpox that killed a lot of Native Americans because they hadn't been exposed to it before, so we talked about the swine flu and how fast it's spreading because people haven't developed immunities to it yet.

We used to look for countries on the map when they were mentioned in the news, but that's not really the same thing.

I think maybe in highschool I would look to do something more organized if my kids don't already take an interest on their own. I've noticed my oldest is more interested, probably because he sees us reading the newspaper/watching the news on tv.

About a year ago- my kids would have been 12 and 13- I noticed they were reading the newspaper more- especially my oldest, and I just had her write a paragraph or two about an article that interested her. Sometimes I would pick an event for her to research, and I still do. My son has been a bit slower to take notice in the world around him in that way, but he is watching documentaries more and he is also reading newspaper articles more.

I find having the newspaper delivered and sitting on the kitchen table- and both dh and I discussing articles we read in it- just slowly brings that awareness of current affairs into our kids' lives.

I wouldn't try and force it with a younger child though. I think they need to be protected from traumatic news and horror until their nervous systems are more developed, and they naturally start developing a curiosity.

I prefer the newspaper to a news show also because of the horror that is often on the news- its too much when seen visually, but easier to manage and digest in print form.

We did this one year, and there were enough issues to have Friday current events for several years. (I think they have fewer issues now.) We're going to do it again next year for 8th grade. I also plan to assign ds to find an article about specific countries we are studying.

I personally don't want to do current events without parent discussion.

I have a rising 3rd grader who reads the paper most mornings along with us and we will discuss stories of interest over breakfast. My K'er is reading fairly well now so joins in with some of our reading and discussions. HTH

but we have been using this website:

www.studentdailynews.com

It brings together news stories from reliable sources. There is a weekly quiz your student can take also to see if they understand and remember what they are reading. Even if you just take one of the stories and talk about it together, that would do. It also includes a political cartoon and an explanation! Even I have had to read the explanations sometimes:001_smile:.

It is a fantastic site. We set this site as our homepage on the family computer, so it just comes up when the boys get online. They even discuss among themselves articles they have read there.

Maybe it is more for middle-schoolers and up....

just an idea!

Dd does Time for Kids at public school, but we are going to get God's World next year. I honestly don't want to do too much current events stuff--it's too depressing and I feel isn't really appropriate yet for her. We do read the Kidspage in the newspaper. Sometimes things there are pretty serious, but told in a way that feels gentler. We also discuss some things at random times--Swine flu was big here because dd got sick at the same time! lol

With my olders, we couldn't avoid a lot of the big news, being in DC. I'll never forget 9/11 with them--that happened two weeks after we moved here, and the next year, the Sniper was in our area. They taught me about overexposure to the news and how it can lead to a lot of anxiety and fear.

...we read an article out of the Wall Street Journal once a week, but because DD10 is curious about everything, we end up discussing some current event or topic at dinner just about every night. The younger kiddos are listening and generally chime in with questions or opinions but the level of writing in the article is a little beyond them right now. However, from their conversations I can tell they're "getting" it. (Much like the little person chirping up about Sumerians later on when you've been reading SOTW to the older sibling.)

An earlier poster mentioned Student News Daily and I'd like to point out that the publishers' liberal slant shows in the content, if that is an issue that's important to you. A rather blatant example of this shows up in their table of "Conservative vs Liberal Beliefs", which reads like the author who was attempting to remain objective for the first couple of items, but then lost it halfway through writing.

Good luck,

Amie

We listen to NPR in the car on the way to and from the pool every day. My ds has a ton of questions, so we look up whatever I can't figure out. The Gaza strip was a hot topic this year. Also learning how the US acquired a base in Cuba. We'll probably try to do more as he gets older, but this is sooo easy.

Lisa

Most mornings we watch CNN Student News. We also read articles from the Time for Kids website. My daughter keeps a journal of "noteworthy" stories (date, what happened, where...) and then she puts a corresponding sticky our world map. Over dinner, she tells her dad what's going on in the world.

At the end of the year, she'll compile a list of the "10 most interesting/important events of the year" and do some sort of writing project/presentation.

Once a week, we sit on the couch with the laptop and a kid on each side. I go through the photo highlights of the week from Yahoo news and keeps a Google earth map open in another window. We look at and discuss the pictures and look up the places on google earth. The girls like it because its heavy on nature photos. It has brought up some interesting discussions.

For example, this week there is a picture of migrant workers in Shanghai and a picture of a Brazilan statue of justice. We discussed what a migrant worker is and why justice is shown as blind. Plus we located Brazil and Shanghai. There were also pictures of ladies in big hats at the Kentucky derby, monks celebrating Budda's birthday, and pictures of people with florescent hula-hoops a Cure concert. There is always a variety of things to discuss, and I get to lead the discussions.