Menu

facebook

Oh, yes...my (younger) sisters made me get a facebook. I will say the one serious drawback I find is that I feel a little bit like my worlds are colliding. There are some people in my life who just *should not* overlap. :tongue_smilie:

I have found this to be the case as well. One thing I have taken advantage of is creating different lists of people. Not everyone needs to be able to see all of my profile/pictures, etc. :)

I have found this to be the case as well. One thing I have taken advantage of is creating different lists of people. Not everyone needs to be able to see all of my profile/pictures, etc. :)

Oh, I don't mind them all seeing everything of mine. They just don't necessarily need to be interacting. :lol:

Oh, I don't mind them all seeing everything of mine. They just don't necessarily need to be interacting. :lol:

I find it interesting to see all my different FB friends. And just as interesting to see how diverse my friends are. It's kinda nice. :) I've never really thought about whether they can see each other though... :lol:

Oh, yes...my (younger) sisters made me get a facebook. I will say the one serious drawback I find is that I feel a little bit like my worlds are colliding. There are some people in my life who just *should not* overlap. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

Too true...

Oh yes! I had a person from my past want to be my friend. That part of my past and my present just don't need to mingle. I respectfully declined. :tongue_smilie:

To the original poster, I am on there and sucked in. It has been a lot of fun, however, to see my niece's semester in France unfold. Boy, have I wished I were her a few times.

I gave up Facebook for Lent because it had become a colossal black hole of time wasting for me. (Besides, my semi-libertarian husband was horrified by the way you sign your life away when you agree to their terms and conditions...he actually read them -- all one gazillion pages!

I exaggerate ;)).

When Easter rolled around, I never really got back on.

I really did love it, and had a lot of fun re-connecting with high school friends from ahem, 20+ years ago. I just didn't have enough self-control in this area.

But then I started noticing that the people I talked to the most on FB were the same people that I stay in touch with blogging, e-mailing, calling, anyway. There was this big old rush of old "friends" that lasted for a few weeks, then they petered out. My ego took a hit! Eh! Besides, do people really need to know the play by play of my life? that I just had oatmeal with brown sugar, raisins and milk for breakfast, and that I am baking bread for dinner?

Now I'm just addicted to the WTM boards. :lol: It might be WORSE!

Now I'm just addicted to the WTM boards. :lol: It might be WORSE!

Yeah. Try being addicted to both :lol:.

I'm on there, too. A certain poster who-shall-remain-nameless-who-am-I-kidding-named-Andie convinced me to join. Well, it was her and the fact my 81 year old MIL wanted my dh to join.

I have been avoiding it for ages. Dh keeps trying to get me joined up but I refuse to have an online relationship with someone I live with!! Now though, my sister is moving to Kenya, so I guess I'll have to get on there if I want to know what she's up to. Internet connection over there is soooo slooooow that it'd take her whole life to send individual emails to everyone all the time.

Rosie

I got sucked into the vortex by my brother a few months ago. I joined so I could see pictures of my new nephew, but I've ended up really getting into chatting with some old friends that I haven't had regular contact with in years. It's been great. I stay away from all the games and stuff though. I think that could end up being way too addicting.

Yeah. Try being addicted to both :lol:.

I'm on there, too. A certain poster who-shall-remain-nameless-who-am-I-kidding-named-Andie convinced me to join. Well, it was her and the fact my 81 year old MIL wanted my dh to join.

:D I still think the MIL being there first is funny.

I've reconnected with a bunch of people... going to cancel my classmates account, because this is more of what I wanted from classmates.

I don't have to "do" everything... but I do want a way I can keep up with people now and then.

I met up with a girl-hood crush... nothing serious. He played Christian, and I played "Ms. No Faith" in a church musical. He was the little red-head that got away ;)

Most of the people I'm catching up with are from my debate days (either debating, or coaching), some college friends, and a hand-full of high school friends.

But, I just passed 50 friends in under 24 hours... so I must be doing something "right." (or wrong).

Lisa

Oh, yes. For me it's kinda weird because my family is somehow all mixed up with the church members where my husband is the pastor, and the youth group is on there and....

Kinda quirky, in a good sort of way. I keep justifying it by saying I am keeping an eye on my teens. Don't tell anybody any different OK?

Thanks for the link. I didn't know there as a WTM group on there either.

I was also sucked into the Facebook vortex after mocking every one there for awhile. Ahhh, yes, a good dose of humility. :)

Actually reconnected with some people, which is nice.

It's like my 30th birthday party all over again. I dreaded that for weeks because people from distinct and discrete parts of my life were going to be meeting for the first time. It hasn't proved to be much of an issue with FB though. OTOH, DH stopped using it after his mother joined.

I have been avoiding it for ages. Dh keeps trying to get me joined up but I refuse to have an online relationship with someone I live with!! Now though, my sister is moving to Kenya, so I guess I'll have to get on there if I want to know what she's up to. Internet connection over there is soooo slooooow that it'd take her whole life to send individual emails to everyone all the time.

Rosie

Oh, I don't know. Dh just did some kind of zombie quiz last week that I really hated having to see every time I went to FB, so I threatened to FB dump him. There's something very freeing about the ability to do that. :lol: It might make for a healthier relationship in the long run! ;)

I found that I was actually losing touch with people because of FB instead of feeling closer. That one little sentence a day seemed like enough contact at first, but then I realized I hadn't actually communicated beyond a single sentence with anyone for weeks. I got rid of FB so I can have real conversations with people again.

Once you do the initial finding of everyone and say Hi, there really wasn't anything left for me to do on FB.

And it was jarring to go on FB and find out my hs boyfriend turned out to be gay. But I sort of knew it at the time. In college he got married to a woman before he figured it out, then divorced her. It just made me feel almost anxious--I could have been the woman he married. How heart-breaking that would have been.

He's a very nice man, but it made me feel strange that I'd dated him and he was gay the whole time. Like, maybe he never really did love me. Like, maybe he was just trying to, but he never really was attracted to me. I dunno. Just made me feel like those 2 years weren't real for him. It brought up some weird feelings. I don't even know how to express them.

Sometimes it's not fun to learn about old boyfriends. (Another poster mentioned finding out about an ex's family and the sad feelings it evoked.) And someone else from hs looked really rough and like her life was awful. I didn't like those sides of it. I'd rather have moved on and stayed moved on. It was strange to revisit the past.

I'm one of the rare people who actually enjoyed high school. And I married my high school sweetheart, who knew my only other serious boyfriend and knows that he was no loss and the only regrets I have about him were that I ever went out with him at all. :tongue_smilie:

FB has allowed me to catch up with some very good friends from HS, as well as people I've met as an adult. It's nice to be able to touch base with them occasionally.