Menu

What's your husband's Food of Love?

I just mentioned this to Karen in the church potluck thread. I said that my dh's Food of Love is a big old pot of red gravy with meatballs and sausage served over fusilli (the long kind.) If it has brasciole, all the better, but he could easily eat meatballs and sauce maybe 4 nights a week. When he comes home and smells that cooking he gets all smiley and happy and feels like I love him. :p

How about your husbands?

homemade lasagne (requires particular ingredients)

MR steak, fresh off grill

and his favorite...lemon garlic-basil roasted chicken. My family devours this. He's been out of country, and returns tonight w/ our former exchange student who also loves it...so we'll eat dinner at 10pm with the "fixin's"

give me a bloody rare steak or grilled lamb chop and I'm happy for days :)

Hmmm... his childhood favorites he mostly cooks for himself when he wants them (meatballs in mushroom gravy, marinated flank steak and noodles-n-eggs). The only real "food of love" that I am solely in charge of is making Cheeseball on special occasions. His mom gave me the recipe when we first got married, but now he likes mine better than hers!

noodles-n-eggs

Wait.

Stop!

Yet another person???

I had never heard of that when I was growing up. I rented an apartment in college with a bunch of friends and two of them (totally unrelated, didn't grow up in the same area, etc.) had fond memories of eating that. They would cook noodles on purpose, chill them, and then make noodles and eggs. At first I thought it was gross, but I learned to like it. Especially with ketchup. Is this a popular thing, and I'm the weirdo who never heard of it?

Breaded pork chops. Definitely.

Also, tuna casserole...or as we like to call it, "macaroni and cheese with tuna and peas (and carrots and onions)" we kinda like to rhyme around here.

He also loves no-bake cookies--I can't believe no one has mentioned that yet, given how much we talk about them!

But the pork chops he'll do anything for--including assemble a treadmill, replace a faucet, and put new brake shoes on my car...and he's not even my husband yet!

:D

I think Noodles and Eggs is weird... I didn't even know other families ate it!

I know in his case it dates back to his grandmother (of German descent, I believe). She would use leftover pasta, cook it with scrambled eggs in bacon grease. My dh makes this artery-clogging treat rarely--and garnishes it with strips of bacon. His dad would make it for family breakfast on weekends, and now it's his speciality.

Of course, he'll make a ovo-only version without the bacon, and uses vegetarian bacon in my serving. He claims it tastes OK, but not nearly as good.

I know in his case it dates back to his grandmother (of German descent, I believe).

I don't know either. One of my roomies was Chinese and the other was Irish and English. sorry.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Virginia Dawn

I know in his case it dates back to his grandmother (of German descent, I believe). She would use leftover pasta, cook it with scrambled eggs in bacon grease. My dh makes this artery-clogging treat rarely--and garnishes it with strips of bacon. His dad would make it for family breakfast on weekends, and now it's his speciality.

Of course, he'll make a ovo-only version without the bacon, and uses vegetarian bacon in my serving. He claims it tastes OK, but not nearly as good.

The gourmet Italian version of this is spaghetti carbonara.:001_smile:

Same basic ingredients, but somehow the italians make it look and taste like you have to be a great chef to make it.

:nopity:Where is the hanging-head-in-shame smiley when you need it? Dh is the cook in our family, even though I do the bulk of it. I don't think there's a thing in my limited repetoire that makes him all hot and heavy. Not that I'm a terrible cook, I"m just not a very inspired one and I've never found a signature dish.