Menu

WWYD, surgery?

Loowit

I have been having female issues that have worsened in the last 8 months or so.  I finally went and saw a gyn a few months ago.  She ran tests and they found a complex cyst on my right ovary that was 5 cm.  I had a followup u/s and it has been very slowly shrinking, which is good news, but the bad news is that I have started to have a lot of pain.  The pain is all on the right side and was intermittent but is getting more frequent especially when moving and doing stuff.  It is keeping me from doing a lot of stuff I need and want to do like going to the gym, kid activities, and so forth.  I saw a doctor last week who told me that I could have surgery to have the cyst removed or I can wait it out.  If I have the surgery they could also take care of an endometrial polyp I have at the same time.  She told me that I am at higher risk of complications due to having had three previous c-sections.

I really want the pain gone, but I don't want surgery.  DH can't afford to take time off work right now to take care of me, but my parents have offered to help out if needed.  The biggest concern is the cost.  We are still paying off DH's cancer bills from last fall and we just got another bill for more follow up scans to make sure the cancer is not coming back which was expensive.  The cost for this surgery would be expense because we have a high deductible.  I am not sure that I can really justify the expense when it would likely resolve on its own eventually.  But I am not sure I can take sitting around not able to do much due to the pain, not to mention what all the ibuprofen is doing to my body.  And there is a possibility that my ovary is twisting off and on, and if it twists at some point and doesn't twist back it would be a medical emergency.

So I am really torn on what I should do.  I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning to discuss options.

My sister had a large ovarian cyst that caused her a lot of pain. So much so that she ended up in the ER because of it. The cyst was large enough to torque, which was excruciating. They did an ultrasound and assured her that it didn't look like cancer but they had to remove it because it had torqued and was quite large.

When she woke up from surgery she found out that it was indeed ovarian cancer and it had spread throughout her abdominal cavity.

So I urge you to get it removed. Take care of yourself so you can take care of your family.

As far as the medical bills are concerned, you can pay a little bit every month. Some huge bills I've had, I've paid $10.00 a month because that's all I had. As long as you show a consistent effort to pay off a bill, the hospital will be okay with that.

• Like 10

In all likelihood, dh's test is going to really hit your deductible anyway.  Get it done, and get them both done. Most of the cost will be in the OR suite, sedation drugs, and other things that would be associated with one surgery or the other.  Large complex cysts are not the same thing as small, smooth-walled ones.  You've already tried wait and see. 

I'm sorry about the financial difficulties. Do a payment plan through the hospital--sometimes they come up with really reasonable payments, like $50/month to help you buy time to get it all done. 

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 3

A burst ovarian cyst can be a medical emergency, and you can have pain and complications from scarring years in the future. I know all this from personal experience.

I went back and reread your post-complex cyst-you need to have it removed. Risk of it developing into ovarian cancer is not big; but it's enough of a concern that you need to have it removed.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

No advice but I feel for you.  My youngest is currently being monitored for a large complex cyst they found when she had an emergency appendectomy in December.  Still don't know why they didn't just deal with both issues while they were in there.  She is often in a great deal of pain.  Her next ultrasound is next month when they will decide if she needs surgery.  Thank God her insurance covers everything.  If it were me, we couldn't afford it because the insurance dh and I have sucks.

• Like 1

If it were my DD I would do it, but it is harder to make that decision to go into debt for myself.

I talked to my doctor this morning and I am going to go ahead and do the surgery.  The scheduler will be calling me this afternoon or tomorrow.

• Like 10

If it were my DD I would do it, but it is harder to make that decision to go into debt for myself.

I talked to my doctor this morning and I am going to go ahead and do the surgery.  The scheduler will be calling me this afternoon or tomorrow.

I am glad you are getting this done.  I definitely understand your hesitation since we are in a similar situation (high deductible) and frequently avoid or postpone important medical care for ourselves (not the kids) due to the expense.

• Like 2

Money doesn’t do you any good if you don’t also have your health, so I’m glad you decided to have the surgery.

Praying that they can do it very soon so you won’t have much time to worry about it, and that the surgery goes smoothly and your recovery is very quick!!!

• Like 3

I'm so glad you'll be getting the surgery, loowit. 

(And just an aside - but you guys, the money v health thing?  I know it's your normal, but to me it's not normal & you & your country deserve so much better. Healthcare is a human right. Watching from the outside, it's just so sad to see this. I've literally never experienced making any medical decision based on finances.  I hope the money thing all works out.) 

• Like 2

Ok, hate to spin off this, but um, I had no idea complex cysts were a worry. In July 2016 I had an early pregnancy ultrasound and the report lists both a small simple cyst and a complex cyst measuring 19mm x 23mm x 25 mm. 

I was seeing a homebirth midwife and she never mentioned it!

So now what? Should I go to my gyn and ask for an ultrasound to see if it is still there???  I do get some symptoms but I also have a lot of adhesions from my c-section forever ago, so chalked them up to that. 

Now I'm annoyed at my midwife and a bit worried!

Ok, hate to spin off this, but um, I had no idea complex cysts were a worry. In July 2016 I had an early pregnancy ultrasound and the report lists both a small simple cyst and a complex cyst measuring 19mm x 23mm x 25 mm. 

So now what? Should I go to my gyn and ask for an ultrasound to see if it is still there???  I do get some symptoms but I also have a lot of adhesions from my c-section forever ago, so chalked them up to that. 

I think it would depend on size and if it's bothering you. Yours is considerably smaller than what loowit described but if you are concerned about potential ovarian cancer, I would always err on the side of excising it and doing a tissue analysis.

(And just an aside - but you guys, the money v health thing?  I know it's your normal, but to me it's not normal & you & your country deserve so much better. Healthcare is a human right. Watching from the outside, it's just so sad to see this. I've literally never experienced making any medical decision based on finances.  I hope the money thing all works out.) 

I almost died last summer because I didn't want to go to the emergency room because of the cost and I wasn't certain that my condition was an emergency.  I know DH would do the same.  I waited 12 hours before giving in and going.  Unless a limb is falling off, we try to avoid medical care because of the expense.  

I think a lot depends on the size and type of complex cyst.  It wouldn't hurt to bring it up and see about getting another ultrasound to make sure it has resolved on its own.