Menu

Does this sound right? (charge for 3D mammogram)

Kassia

I always go for my annual screening mammogram.  

This year I went to our local hospital because it is much closer to the place I've always gone.  After I had undressed for the images, the technician asked if I wanted a 3D mammogram done.  She told me that most insurances cover it but, if mine doesn't, it would only be a $40 charge and she wouldn't have a mammogram done without it.  I was kind of upset because I felt I should have been given that option before my appt. so I could check with my insurance company but I went ahead and had the 3D mammogram done.

Well, my insurance doesn't cover the 3D mammogram (it's considered diagnostic and not a screening) and in addition to the $40 charge from the hospital for the procedure there is an additional charge from the radiologist for $62 to read the 3D mammogram that the insurance won't cover (plus the radiologist was paid $75 by the insurance for the screened portion?).  

For those who have gotten 3D mammograms not covered by insurance, did you have to pay $100 extra for it?  I am upset that I wasn't given a breakdown of the charges ahead of time so I could have made an informed decision.

I declined because I was told similar and was also told that there was some part of the charge they were unsure of (sorry, it is foggy now as that was sometime last year).  It doesn't surprise me.

I understood that the 3D would only be of value if they did find something in the regular scan, and would simply avoid the trouble of doing a second scan IF they found something concerning in the first one.  I decided that I'd rather let them do the basic scan and then if they found anything, have additional scans / exams covered.

I agree that they should give this info earlier so we can check to see if our insurance covers it.  Or, they should be able to look it up for us when we check in.

• Like 2

I just had mine.  it wasn't offered.   the place I used to go - did US afterwards.  the first time I had the  US was because I was still nursing and it would get a more accurate read with full milk glands.

I would always have them check with insurance - they have a bill person there who could have checked before it was done.

I would talk to their person over accounts and see if you can get a reduction since your insurance doesn't cover it - if you could get the insurance rate.  same for the radiologist who had to read it.

• Like 1

Wow..mine is 200 for a regular mammogram..

The 3D charge is in addition to the regular mammogram cost.  

The hospital charged $560 for the regular and 3D.

The radiologist charged $165 for reading both.  

I'm responsible for the 3D part and the insurance is covering the regular part as preventative screening. 

Edited by Kassia

At the place I go, they discuss it with you when you're checking in. If you want the 3D, they have you sign a form acknowledging that you are responsible for the extra charge (around $50, I think) if your insurance won't pay. I always get 3D and my insurance pays for it, thankfully.

• Like 2

I will be ticked if I get charged for the one I just had! They told me it was covered in my well visit (I assume bc of family history).

They only have one machine though. Do the 3d and traditional machine look the same? I’m wondering if I had declined 3d would they have made me go elsewhere to get it?

I will be ticked if I get charged for the one I just had! They told me it was covered in my well visit (I assume bc of family history).

They only have one machine though. Do the 3d and traditional machine look the same? I’m wondering if I had declined 3d would they have made me go elsewhere to get it?

It looked the same to me but they took extra images.  

if you have dense breasts, consider getting an ultrasound once in a while http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20140114-4

alas, it seems everything can miss things. MRI seems the most thorough but then also has tons of false positives which is not good either...

I agree. I'm also getting the ultrasound my next time (in 2 months).

• Like 1

the insurance we have now - does mammograms as part of preventative care and they're (supposedly) free.  they only have the regular - not 3d.   but there is zero family history so it's not a concern for me.   (otho: tias . . . .  terrify me.)

the insurance we have now - does mammograms as part of preventative care and they're (supposedly) free.  they only have the regular - not 3d.   but there is zero family history so it's not a concern for me.   (otho: tias . . . .  terrify me.)

not to be a debbie downer but in the interest of sharing info, statistically only ~ 10% of individuals diagnosed with breast cancer have a family history of the disease.  

• Like 1

not to be a debbie downer but in the interest of sharing info, statistically only ~ 10% of individuals diagnosed with breast cancer have a family history of the disease.  

I'm sure other's will appreciate your warning.  It's not something that concerns me.

as I said, I'm terrified of tias - as I do have an extensive family history (my only child mother, my grandmother - multiple siblings of my grandmother), and I'm homozygous for one gene that has been linked to them.