Menu

This article, from the Associated Press, on Yahoo News, link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080928/ap_on_el_pr/palin_ethics

talks about Palin accepting gifts and using her power as mayor to get zoning aid, plus.

I love this quote:

"Palin claims she has more executive experience than her opponent and the two presidential candidates, but most of those years were spent running a city with a population of less than 7,000."

She claims she has more executive experience? Wow!!

This article, from the Associated Press, on Yahoo News, link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080928/ap_on_el_pr/palin_ethics

talks about Palin accepting gifts and using her power as mayor to get zoning aid, plus.

I love this quote:

"Palin claims she has more executive experience than her opponent and the two presidential candidates, but most of those years were spent running a city with a population of less than 7,000."

She claims she has more executive experience? Wow!!

What executive experience would you say that Sen. Obama has?

Executive experience, of course, refers loosely to the president's responsibilities--when stating this, Palin was talking about her own experience as mayor, making executive decisions, and as governor. Obama stated that he had executive power over 24,000 employees, and three times as much money a month as Palin did in a year.

While some say that is not a fair comparison, Palin's is certainly not a fair comparison to the president's executive power either. And, as she pointed out, McCain has no experience whatsoever with executive power. And he is the one running for pres, not her.

I just think it takes a lot of nerve to make such a claim, with such implications.

Would someone *please* tell me how Barak has more experience than Sarah Palin??? I keep hearing it, but I've yet to see it proven. And the truly funny thing is this: People are comparing the experience of a VP candidate with a Presidential candidate! And she *still* comes out with more from what I can see. If you don't think she has enough, how can you logically conclude Barak does? I don't care how small the state is that she governs - it's still more governing than Barak has done.

In one of the states I lived in, the mayor of a small town was elected to the U.S. Senate because his father had held the seat for decades and then the father died in office. As mayor of a small town, he had contract problems with the town workers and teachers, budget problems, etc. The mayor in the town over has the same problems. Being a mayor is an executive position and regardless of size, it is a hard job because it is a political job.

But isn't this his own campaign that he is referring to? If so, that cannot be equivalent because he is really only working for his own good, not the good of *all* people (or the Alaskan people as is the case with Palin). Managing a budget is only part of what the president (or a governor) does.

I think you could extrapolate and say that a politician, if he's a statesman, is working for the good of all people by attempting to get himself elected.

I'm not sure I'm following you here. You know he doesn't just handle the budget, right? He has people do that for him, accountants and financial gurus. He manages his campaign. All of his campaign. His staffers, his interns, his travel, his speech writing, his website, his speeches, his schedule, his study, his phone calls, keeping up with Senate duties (to the extent that is possible -- this is shaky for all the candidates, but at least he votes on select bills), television appearances and negotiations, putting out fires, managing smears, motivating a huge, unprecedented cadre of campaign workers around the country. He doesn't DO all of this, but he manages it. All the while appearing calm, in control, and (he hopes) presidential.

Well, there are all types of "executive" experience. McCain had command of the largest aviation squadron in the Navy. Does that count?

I think so!!!!! :iagree:

After serving in the top rated tanker unit for the whole AF in the Gulf War I think McCain has had a lot of executive experience that lends its self to great preparation to be Commander and Chief. Obama can not even come close to that.

Also I think Palin was over a much larger number of employees and a larger budget as Gov. of AK than Obama's campaign plus she was Commander and Chief of the AK guard. What has Obama ever commanded beside campaign staff? Come to think of it what was Bidden ever commander of....... When you come right down to it the numbers Palin was over as governor make his campaign numbers look puny. His claim at being executive over larger numbers than Plain is hyperbole at best.

Of course all folks want to talk about is her mayoral experience but that does not negate that she was, is governor of a large state and Obama is the junior senator from IL, not the senior senator the junior senator.

Edited by RebeccaC

Executive experience, of course, refers loosely to the president's responsibilities--

While some say that is not a fair comparison, Palin's is certainly not a fair comparison to the president's executive power either.

I just think it takes a lot of nerve to make such a claim, with such implications.

Executive is a term to mean the head of something, like a CEO of a company, captain of a ship, president of a college, governor of a state. "The buck stops here" person. Not just referring to THE president.

Given that three of the candidates have some and/or extensive legislative experience but little/no executive experience, this is a fair claim.

It's up to you to decide whether or not you like what she stands for, but there's no denying that she served in the executive capacity and was well-regarded in that service. As an executive, it's not about having to compromise with 100 other people, it's about taking on the leadership role and the responsibility/blame that goes with it.

There's a difference when you're a leader like that -- if you've been or known a small-business owner or someone else in leadership, you've seen it -- you're responsible for your employees, troops, constituents. You lose sleep over tough decisions. That's the distinction here.

Again, you can disagree with positions and issues, but Palin is the only one with real executive experience in this race.

Fwiw, many of our most recent presidents have been governors, we seem to like seeing that type of experience -- Carter, Reagan, Clinton, Bush.

Edited by lovemyboys
correct the names of gov/pres.

I think so!!!!! :iagree:

After serving in the top rated tanker unit for the whole AF in the Gulf War I think McCain has had a lot of executive experience that lends its self to great preparation to be Commander and Chief. Obama can not even come close to that.

Also I think Palin was over a much larger number of employees and a larger budget as Gov. of AK than Obama's campaign plus she was Commander and Chief of the AK guard. What has Obama ever commanded beside campaign staff? Come to think of it what was Bidden ever commander of....... When you come right down to it the numbers Palin was over as governor make his campaign numbers look puny.

Of course all folks want to talk about is her mayoral experience but that does not negate that she was, is governor of a large state and Obama is the junior senator from IL, not the senior senator the junior senator.

With all this experience, it will be easy for her to get a job when she leaves the AK state house. :001_smile:

She definitely is in her second year as governor of a geographically large state. There are 670,000 people in that state.

Would someone *please* tell me how Barak has more experience than Sarah Palin??? I keep hearing it, but I've yet to see it proven. And the truly funny thing is this: People are comparing the experience of a VP candidate with a Presidential candidate! And she *still* comes out with more from what I can see. If you don't think she has enough, how can you logically conclude Barak does? I don't care how small the state is that she governs - it's still more governing than Barak has done.

Well, everyone is going to weigh experience differently.

Barack Obama's bio from wiki:

A graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he served as president of the Harvard Law Review, Obama worked as a community organizer and practiced as a civil rights attorney before serving in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004. He taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004. Following an unsuccessful bid for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2000, he announced his campaign for the U.S. Senate in January 2003. After a primary victory in March 2004, Obama delivered the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in July 2004. He was elected to the Senate in November 2004 with 70% of the vote.

When Obama was a community organizer Palin was a *sportscaster*.

Examples of his community work from wiki:

After four years in New York City, Obama moved to Chicago to work as a community organizer for three years from June 1985 to May 1988 as director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland (Roseland, West Pullman, and Riverdale) on Chicago's far South Side. During his three years as the DCP's director, its staff grew from one to thirteen and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000, with accomplishments including helping set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens. Obama also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.

While Palin was serving on the city council of a city of 5,000 people (she received 530 votes in the first election) Obama was teaching constitutional law and working as a civil rights attorney, and he continued his community work:

Obama directed Illinois' Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of ten and seven hundred volunteers; it achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African-Americans in the state, and led to Crain's Chicago Business naming Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be.

Palin ran for mayor of Wasilla in 1996, the same year Obama ran for the Illinois senate. Again, the town had between 5,000 and 6,000 people (it grew slightly during the time she was mayor). Obama served the 13th district, populated by over 800,000 (more than the entire state of Alaska).

Palin took office as governor in December of 2006. As governor of Alaska she served around 650,000 people. Obama was sworn in as a US Senator in January of 2005. He is one of two Senators who serve the state of Illinois which has a population of almost 13 million people.

It's not "executive" experience people should care about, it's applicable experience.

Executive experience, of course, refers loosely to the president's responsibilities--when stating this, Palin was talking about her own experience as mayor, making executive decisions, and as governor. Obama stated that he had executive power over 24,000 employees, and three times as much money a month as Palin did in a year.

That was as mayor, though, not as governor. As governor of Alaska, Palin is over a lot more than that.

(Not that I am coming down on either side of this debate, mind you. I'm not happy with anyone.)

But once elected, he/she is *not* simply working to get elected. A governor or president deals with foreign policy (in the case of a state, there are state to state issues and I'm thinking Alaska has special issues due to its proximity to Russia and Canada) as well as domestic crises - "acts of God", prison rebellions, health crises, etc. I still cannot agree that managing a corporation however large is comparable to executive experience. Some of the activities of the CEO/President may cross, but there are a multitude of other issues that a governor/president must deal with. Now I would say that government is too big and it would be nice if it could be managed as a corporation :-)

:confused: This seems like a real stretch to bolster up the executive experience resume.

Oh gosh, I wasn't. I was responding specifically to the fact that running a campaign isn't about balancing a checkbook. It's more than that, particularly for a huge nationwide campaign run in a new way such as this one is.

Does that make more sense? It was a specific reply, not a "well, neener neener, Dems got exec experience." :D

But once elected, he/she is *not* simply working to get elected. A governor or president deals with foreign policy (in the case of a state, there are state to state issues and I'm thinking Alaska has special issues due to its proximity to Russia and Canada) as well as domestic crises - "acts of God", prison rebellions, health crises, etc. I still cannot agree that managing a corporation however large is comparable to executive experience. Some of the activities of the CEO/President may cross, but there are a multitude of other issues that a governor/president must deal with. Now I would say that government is too big and it would be nice if it could be managed as a corporation :-)

Well, a CEO is an executive by definition. Right?

Anyway, I disagree about a few of your points, but I sincerely wish your candidate the best. (Not the office he seeks, but the best of all good things in his life after this campaign.)

Bush Sr. had experience in the CIA for years and was vice president for two terms.

CIA is executive experience? Does the VP have executive duties? Because I'm not at all concerned about Gov. Palin's fitness for that office, if I wasn't concerned that she's second in command. (And yes, I'm sorry that I am concerned because I know that's offensive to many folks, but I truly am.)

And -- It's all good. I'm just having a conversation now -- I hope it doesn't come across that I'm sparring. I'm just chatting. I hope it's coming cross how I'm intending it.

It's not "executive" experience people should care about, it's applicable experience.

I don't understand this comparison. It's like saying Palin was in kindergarten when Biden started his first term as legislator to compare the VP candidates. :confused:

As to the differences in experience, you're right. But, "executive" experience is just that, as the head of something, it's not part of being on a big team or a cooperative group. It's just different, nuancing experience doesn't take away the fact that that is where Palin has served.

Well, the thing is, though, that Alaska is "large" only geographically. The population of the entire state is smaller than the county in which I live.

According to Alaska's Department of Personnel and Labor Relations [http://dop.state.ak.us/employeeOrientation/introduction], there are currently about 15,000 state employees.

Yeah, no problem. I love discussions of this sort when they stay civil :-)

IMO, the CIA experience granted Bush Sr. a lot of credibility in foreign policy. I would hope that the VP position would be a bit of on-the-job training, but I'm not too sure about that point.

As far as it all goes, I'm happy to have some new, untainted by Washington, blood in the mix. The others are more of the same...definitely not change IMO. And, again IMO, the Washington Elite has not done a very good job in the past couple of decades (including Bush). So, maybe I'm just a gambler at heart, but I would be happier to have a small state governor as president than a community organizer - I can't see that she would do any worse than the others.

This is really terrible of me to post without doing my homework :(

But...isn't this the first time in 50 years that we have 2 senators running for President?

Generally, I think, our society values the experience of governors much more than that of senators.

Now, off to do some research so I can edit this later. :)

Aggie

FWIW, I truly don't believe the Dem party nominated Obama any more than I believe the Rep party nominated McCain. Talk about a need for campaign reform, imo.

CIA is executive experience? Does the VP have executive duties? Because I'm not at all concerned about Gov. Palin's fitness for that office, if I wasn't concerned that she's second in command. (And yes, I'm sorry that I am concerned because I know that's offensive to many folks, but I truly am.)

I agree. If he's elected McCain will have been the oldest president ever elected. We don't have the luxury of not worrying about his VP pick.

I don't understand this comparison. It's like saying Palin was in kindergarten when Biden started his first term as legislator to compare the VP candidates. :confused:

?? She derided his community work at the RNC (in my opinion, ymmv), I think it's perfectly fair to point out what she was doing at the time.

As to the differences in experience, you're right. But, "executive" experience is just that, as the head of something, it's not part of being on a big team or a cooperative group. It's just different, nuancing experience doesn't take away the fact that that is where Palin has served.

My husband is a military officer. I definitely understand the different levels of responsibility held by those in leadership positions. I also understand how different echelons of leadership see things differently. She worked in state government, he worked in federal government (just like McCain and Biden). I wouldn't choose her experience over *any one* of the other three candidates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Mungo viewpost.gif

As to the differences in experience, you're right. But, "executive" experience is just that, as the head of something, it's not part of being on a big team or a cooperative group. It's just different, nuancing experience doesn't take away the fact that that is where Palin has served

:iagree:Exactly! But honestly, both sides put a serious spin on the fact that both Palin and Obama are painfully lacking in experience. The difference is, as someone else mentioned, that Palin is running for the somewhat ceremonial position of VP whereas Obama wants the most important and powerful job in the country. Unlike the wise and qualified Matt Damon, I do not believe that there is a serious chance of McCain dying in his first term. As far as I know, he got a clean bill of health, which is more than I can say for myself at 40!

Executive experience, of course, refers loosely to the president's responsibilities--

This doesn't really help me out, the term is still not defined. I'm asking honestly. I hear the term bandied about on both sides and I really am not positive I know what is meant. Fwiw, strictly going by what I think it means, I'm not sure executive experience is the be all, end all. I suppose it's something to look at, but I'm glad someone like Abraham Lincoln wasn't kept out of the presidency due to a lack out it (if I'm defining the term correctly.)

If he's elected McCain will have been the oldest president ever elected. We don't have the luxury of not worrying about his VP pick

I would say that it is vital to scrutinize the VP pick of *any* presidential candidate. The presidency is a risky business no matter how old one is. Reagan was, at the time of his election, the oldest we had elected and he went on to serve 2 terms. At least McCain has been given a thumbs up for his health. Personally, I think Obama has as much chance of dying in office as McCain - and I cannot imagine Biden in the presidency.

Mom to Aly (my bud, you know you are! :))

Now be careful when you say 'how dare' she say she has more executive experience...well, the facts are she does. She has been 'elected' into a role as mayor and governor and must be accountable to all her constituents...it's like saying how dare butter say it came from a cow? Well, it did. Now if you were to challenge the efficacy of her executive experience, then go there..but don't make a nonsensical statement that how dare she say she has more ee than Obama...she does...simple as that..now leadership comes in many roles...ee is just one of them...I'm sorry but Palin trumps him here so folks need to go to another talking point to challenge..

Now, Obama's trying to overshadow his lack of executive experience with his management of his campaign. Yes, he has millions upon millions in his coffers, but he only has to answer to himself, not to folks that voted him into it..Palin's campaign for governor and campaign for mayor do not make her an executive...but her election does...she was responsible for running the government...Obama has been responsible for running his campaign...which is not an easy thing to do...

It's kind of like someone saying "how dare Mom to Aly claim she's had experience as a mother"...well, the fact is you have....Then others pointing out that Obama has had no experience as a mother..well, he hasn't...but he has been a father which has its own run of requirements....but let's not shoot down Sarah Palin for saying something that is true.

Tara

Now, Obama's trying to overshadow his lack of executive experience with his management of his campaign. Yes, he has millions upon millions in his coffers, but he only has to answer to himself, not to folks that voted him into it..Palin's campaign for governor and campaign for mayor do not make her an executive...but her election does...she was responsible for running the government...Obama has been responsible for running his campaign...which is not an easy thing to do...

Ok, I hate to interrupt this wonderfully kind post, but I do want to ask -- is it Sen. OBAMA who is trying to "overshadow," or is it his supporters who are saying, "well, he's doing a darn fine job managing our money -- look at that"? Does *he* claim to being an executive?

He does, though, answer to every single $5 donor who gave, some sacrificially, to see this thing happen. Lots and lots and LOTS of individual small-time donors to this campaign. And I have to say that I truly do think he takes seriously this stewardship.

Can we withdraw our support if he messes up? Yes. He's accountable. Not legally, except as campaign laws make him legally responsible for incoming and outgoing funds, but more importantly MORALLY.

Anyway, just had to say it. :001_smile:

With all this experience, it will be easy for her to get a job when she leaves the AK state house. :001_smile:

Yep as VP and maybe as president someday ;)

She definitely is in her second year as governor of a geographically large state. There are 670,000 people in that state.

Her approval rating with those 670,000 is higher than Obama, Biden, McCain, all of congress, and President Bush's rating. Seems like last time I checked congress' approval rate was in the teens and Bush was around 29 and hers was over 60%. Her budget and number of state employees including the Guard is still higher than anything Obama has handled ever. I personally think she did a very good job with the state budget but that is my opinion :001_smile:

And -- It's all good. I'm just having a conversation now -- I hope it doesn't come across that I'm sparring. I'm just chatting. I hope it's coming cross how I'm intending it.

Just for the record I think it is fine to be concerned. I am very concerned about Obama and about Biden. There is nothing wrong with being concerned about Palin or any other candidate :001_smile:

:iagree:Exactly! But honestly, both sides put a serious spin on the fact that both Palin and Obama are painfully lacking in experience. The difference is, as someone else mentioned, that Palin is running for the somewhat ceremonial position of VP whereas Obama wants the most important and powerful job in the country. Unlike the wise and qualified Matt Damon, I do not believe that there is a serious chance of McCain dying in his first term. As far as I know, he got a clean bill of health, which is more than I can say for myself at 40!

:iagree: I am totally uncomfortable with Obama being at the head of his ticket. If he were vp I would be more comfortable. I too am not worried about McCain's health for this election. Matt Damon is an actor :eek: why on earth would anyone care what an actor has to say about the most important right we have, to vote. In my book actors are folks who get paid to play pretend and lie all day and I don't think that gives them the wisdom of the ages to tell anyone who to vote for or how green they should be.

Matt Damon is an actor :eek: why on earth would anyone care what an actor has to say about the most important right we have, to vote. In my book actors are folks who get paid to play pretend and lie all day and I don't think that gives them the wisdom of the ages to tell anyone who to vote for or how green they should be.

:iagree: I cannot imagine listening to an actor's endorsement. I guess they do influence some, but geezopete.

As far as it all goes, I'm happy to have some new, untainted by Washington, blood in the mix. The others are more of the same...definitely not change IMO. And, again IMO, the Washington Elite has not done a very good job in the past couple of decades (including Bush). So, maybe I'm just a gambler at heart, but I would be happier to have a small state governor as president than a community organizer - I can't see that she would do any worse than the others.

I can go with that, as long as I can point out that he's not *simply* a community organizer. Just like she's not *simply* a sportscaster. These were jobs they held after college. Community organizing helped him in his quest to understand the needs of the people he wanted to represent and defend someday, and he now knows the basic community level of action. He's not merely a "constitutional law professor," either, though he held that job at a top level institution for awhile and this helps him solidify his knowledge and communication abilities.

Gov. Palin's experience as a sportscaster helped her be a better communicator, and it has stood in good stead for her in her political career. It was preparatory for what was to come. She understands business at a basic community level, having helped run her own family's business. She understands local and state politics. But she's not merely a fish business owner, any more than Sen. Obama is just a community organizer.

You are using his lowest job (unless you count Baskin Robbins, lol!) in comparison to her highest. That's not exactly fair or logical.

:iagree: I am totally uncomfortable with Obama being at the head of his ticket. If he were vp I would be more comfortable. I too am not worried about McCain's health for this election. Matt Damon is an actor :eek: why on earth would anyone care what an actor has to say about the most important right we have, to vote. In my book actors are folks who get paid to play pretend and lie all day and I don't think that gives them the wisdom of the ages to tell anyone who to vote for or how green they should be.

Well Ronald Reagen was an actor, so were...

Alan Autry (Mayor of Fresno, California)

Raj Bhakta (Republican) (unsuccessful candidate for U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania)

Sonny Bono (Republican) (U.S. Representative, 44th District of California)

Shirley Temple Black (Republican) (U.S. diplomat; Ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia, Chief of Protocol of the United States)

Clint Eastwood (Republican, but describes himself as Libertarian) (Mayor of Carmel, California)

Al Franken (Democrat) (Running for Senate in Minnesota)

Helen Gahagan (Democrat) (U.S. Representative, 14th District of California)

John Gavin (Republican) (U.S. diplomat; Ambassador to Mexico)

Fred Grandy (Republican) (U.S. Representative, Iowa)

Ben Jones (Democrat) (U.S. Congressman, 4th District of Georgia)

Sheila Kuehl (Democrat) (California State Senator)

Nancy Kulp (Democrat) (unsuccessful nominee for U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania)

Robert Montgomery

George Murphy (Republican) (U.S. Senator, California)

Stephen Peace (Democrat) (California State Senator)

Arnold Schwarzenegger (Republican) (Governor of California)

Jerry Springer (Democrat)(Mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio)

Fred Thompson (Republican) (U.S. Senator, Tennessee and unsuccessful presidential nominee))

Jesse Ventura (formerly Reform; currently Independence Party of Minnesota) (Governor of Minnesota)

Ralph Waite (Democrat) (unsuccessful nominee for U.S. House of Representatives)

Frank Britton Wenzel (Mayor of Malverne, New york

Matt Damon is an actor :eek: why on earth would anyone care what an actor has to say about the most important right we have, to vote. In my book actors are folks who get paid to play pretend and lie all day and I don't think that gives them the wisdom of the ages to tell anyone who to vote for or how green they should be.

Okay, for the record, I also couldn't care much less than I do about what Matt Damon says about politics.

However, as the mom of a couple of performers, I can't let this slide.

My daughter--the 13-year-old college sophomore and one of the brightest people any of us are ever likely to meet--is planning to make a living as an actor. She also happens to be very interested in and well informed about politics. In fact, if she decides against the major in theatre/arts management, she may go for political science and then on to law school with an eye toward some kind of public service.

She--and by extension her mom--take exception to this wholesale characterization of actors as people who "play pretend and lie." There is a very great deal more to acting than that. And the fact that someone chooses to be an artist does not and should not mean that they check their intelligence or their right to have and express an informed opinon at the door.

Ok, I hate to interrupt this wonderfully kind post, but I do want to ask -- is it Sen. OBAMA who is trying to "overshadow," or is it his supporters who are saying, "well, he's doing a darn fine job managing our money -- look at that"? Does *he* claim to being an executive?

Pam, I think that this comes from his sit-down with Marc "Mr.Netscape" Andreessen. You can read all about it on his blog. Now, I know that blogs have become almost a dirty word in the political threads--and with good reason, to a certain extent. Anyway, this is what it is: Andreessen's account of the time that he spent with Obama, and Obama's answer to the "executive experience" question (according to Andreessen). I personally haven't heard Obama make this statement anywhere else--though he certainly may have done so--but I also haven't heard him repudiate Andreessen's record of the conversation either.

Well Ronald Reagen was an actor, so were...

Alan Autry (Mayor of Fresno, California)

Raj Bhakta (Republican) (unsuccessful candidate for U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania)

Sonny Bono (Republican) (U.S. Representative, 44th District of California)

Shirley Temple Black (Republican) (U.S. diplomat; Ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia, Chief of Protocol of the United States)

Clint Eastwood (Republican, but describes himself as Libertarian) (Mayor of Carmel, California)

Al Franken (Democrat) (Running for Senate in Minnesota)

Helen Gahagan (Democrat) (U.S. Representative, 14th District of California)

John Gavin (Republican) (U.S. diplomat; Ambassador to Mexico)

Fred Grandy (Republican) (U.S. Representative, Iowa)

Ben Jones (Democrat) (U.S. Congressman, 4th District of Georgia)

Sheila Kuehl (Democrat) (California State Senator)

Nancy Kulp (Democrat) (unsuccessful nominee for U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania)

Robert Montgomery

George Murphy (Republican) (U.S. Senator, California)

Stephen Peace (Democrat) (California State Senator)

Arnold Schwarzenegger (Republican) (Governor of California)

Jerry Springer (Democrat)(Mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio)

Fred Thompson (Republican) (U.S. Senator, Tennessee and unsuccessful presidential nominee))

Jesse Ventura (formerly Reform; currently Independence Party of Minnesota) (Governor of Minnesota)

Ralph Waite (Democrat) (unsuccessful nominee for U.S. House of Representatives)

Frank Britton Wenzel (Mayor of Malverne, New york

That is great and I knew about quite a few of those folks. Actually vote for Reagan twice. However most of them did not speak out like Damon and others who do not severe the people, at all but think that their box office draw, bank account gives them license to tell folks what they should or should not think/vote or how much toilet paper the should use.

If an actor/musician wants to go political then do so in service, run for office or really contribute like Bono does in Africa, otherwise they are just like every one else and not anymore special than anyone else. I do respect Bono and listen to what he says because he is just not spouting but actually doing something. Damon, Streisand, Sarandon, Whoopie, ect.... do not serve but turn entertainment into their personal soapboxes and think that their box office draw and bank account give them the right to pontificate to aud nausea and they do so in a condescending manner in my opinion. If they did something more than just yak or send money I might pay more attention or respect their views a bit more.

Edited by RebeccaC

Okay, for the record, I also couldn't care much less than I do about what Matt Damon says about politics.

However, as the mom of a couple of performers, I can't let this slide.

My daughter--the 13-year-old college sophomore and one of the brightest people any of us are ever likely to meet--is planning to make a living as an actor. She also happens to be very interested in and well informed about politics. In fact, if she decides against the major in theatre/arts management, she may go for political science and then on to law school with an eye toward some kind of public service.

She--and by extension her mom--take exception to this wholesale characterization of actors as people who "play pretend and lie." There is a very great deal more to acting than that. And the fact that someone chooses to be an artist does not and should not mean that they check their intelligence or their right to have and express an informed opinion at the door.

Ok, I did not mean to offend all the folks with family members in the entertainment industry. We have several family members who make their living that way and make huge unbelievable amounts of money. They want my son to go into the industry and he might.... However what I am objecting to is folks in the entertainment industry taking themselves more seriously than they should with no record of public service at all. I am tried of being told how much toilet paper to use or that their liberal view is superior to my conservative views. You have got to admit that too many entertainers spout off in stupid ways way too much....

Ok, I did not mean to offend all the folks with family members in the entertainment industry. We have several family members who make their living that way and make huge unbelievable amounts of money. They want my son to go into the industry and he might.... However what I am objecting to is folks in the entertainment industry taking themselves more seriously than they should with no record of public service at all. I am tried of being told how much toilet paper to use or that their liberal view is superior to my conservative views. You have got to admit that too many entertainers spout off in stupid ways way too much....

It's not just liberals, Rebecca.