Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW7

Robin M

Kathy, I keep thinking about your post from last week re: wanting to be able to set up different challenges for yourself on Goodreads.

One way I think you could do it would be to add a shelf for each different challenge or category you want to read. I'd also put them by year too. So, some shelves like:

2015 classics (goal 21)

2015 women authors (goal 30)

2015 time travel (goal 8)

2015 around the world (goal 12)

It's neither perfect nor a necessarily elegant solution, but maybe it would meet your need of tracking everything on GR, while also separating the books you've read into the categories you're wanting to track for the year.

I've thought about that and haven't completely discounted it. I might just have to give it a try.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did you last try to read Woolf? I know that I tried Mrs. Dalloway when I was younger, and couldn't get through it, but I read it for my book group a year or two ago and I loved it.  I tried - repeatedly - to read To The Lighthouse, but kept falling asleep.  Finally I got the audio book, and listened to it long enough that I really got into the story, and the characters, and after listening to the whole thing, I read it too, and loved it.  In my case at least, Woolf required a certain level of - maturity - that I apparently lacked until just recently!  

I would like to read Orlando, but my next Woolf will be A Room of One's Own, I think.

Here's a fun quiz: Which New Book Should You Read?

I got The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister. It's one that was on the January 2015 Indie Next List. Maybe I'll check it out....

“Macallister's debut novel is historical fiction that blends magic, mystery, and romance. In turn-of-the-century America at the height of stage magic's popularity, the renowned female illusionist Amazing Arden must convince a young police officer, Virgil Holt, of her innocence in a murder that looks suspiciously like one of her most famous illusions gone wrong. As Arden's story unfolds over the course of the night she spends in police custody, the reader, as well as Officer Holt, must decide if she is telling the truth or if this, too, is part of her act.â€
—Meagan Albin, Breakwater Books, Guilford, CT

If you take the quiz, I'd love to hear what other books it is recommending.

I got The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister. It's one that was on the January 2015 Indie Next List. Maybe I'll check it out....

Hmmmm, I got the same book! Reading in the comfy chair with the rain, picked a random Drew Barrymore movie cause I haven't seen any of them...

I'm a skeptic - I got "Kid President's Guide to Being Awesome".  Which does not appeal.  I will have to do it again and pick all the other answers I was wavering about . . . 

Yep, this time I picked the outdoor-themed stuff, and got The Magician's Lie.  Like the cool kids.  ;)

Just goes to show how you can game a quiz - I can also get any personality combo I want to . . . though for reals I'm an IN-something.  The other two letters vary with mood, I think.

I finished Pride & Prejudice last night.  It's still great.  A couple of things struck me as interesting this read, which I don't think I paid much attention to in the past.  First, I thought it was interesting that Mr. Bennett gets most of the blame for his younger daughters' foolishness, although clearly Mrs. Bennett is the sillier parent.  She isn't held as responsible, because she doesn't know/can't behave better.  But he knows better but chooses not to interfere out of indolence/self-absorption.  Austen judges this more harshly than foolishness.    I also thought it was interesting that Mary is considered one of the three silly sisters, even though she is silly in a different way than the younger two - the fact that she is studious, when it is disconnected from common sense and social intelligence, just leaves her ridiculous.  The younger two are ridiculous because they are ignorant and self-absorbed, the middle one because she is studious and self-absorbed.  It's only Jane and Elizabeth that find the middle way - they are accomplished, have good social skills, and think of others before themselves.  I wonder where that came from?

When did you last try to read Woolf? I know that I tried Mrs. Dalloway when I was younger, and couldn't get through it, but I read it for my book group a year or two ago and I loved it.  I tried - repeatedly - to read To The Lighthouse, but kept falling asleep.  Finally I got the audio book, and listened to it long enough that I really got into the story, and the characters, and after listening to the whole thing, I read it too, and loved it.  In my case at least, Woolf required a certain level of - maturity - that I apparently lacked until just recently!  

I would like to read Orlando, but my next Woolf will be A Room of One's Own, I think.

I tried again within the last 5 years or so, and while I made it through Mrs. Dalloway, and it was much better than when I was forced to read it my senior year of high school, I still did not like it.

I found one of her early works at Amazon ($0.99) and Audible ($3.49), but it is about 18 hours long!  I might try that one (the name has slipped my mind), or I may just try To the Lighthouse instead.

...If you take the quiz, I'd love to hear what other books it is recommending.

For what it's worth, I got: “All the Bright Places†by Jennifer Niven

"Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him. Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death."

It probably doesn't help that I've never seen Drew Barrymore act (to the best of my knowledge).  And, where's the CHOCOLATE choice to go with reading?

Regards,

Kareni

You got: “The Magician’s Lie†by Greer Macallister

Looks like I'm in good company! 

Last week I started and finished a chunkster fantasy epic, Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance, which of course isn't a stand alone book. Oh no, the story couldn't possibly be told in 1000+ pages. This was the second tome in the series and at least 3 more are needed to finish the tale! But, as those of you who've read Sanderson know, the guy writes a good story with interesting characters and all the magic and world building is slipped in without any cringe-inducing, action-breaking, awkward exposition passages.  It is a marvel how he does it, and it was the perfect read for me last week.

<3  Yes, I love the Stormlight Archives!  There are actually going to be 10 in the series.  5, then a 20 (?) year break in the story line, then another 5, but he's getting them out slowly in between his other novels so it may be awhile.  My then 13 yo read Words of Radiance in 24 hours!  She's a little obsessed.

I started Silently and Very Fast by Valente last night.  It's a short story/novella and her writing just always hits the spot.  If you haven't read her adult books, you really should.  They're so pretty and poetic. 

I got The Magician's Lie in the quiz.  I'll check it out. :)

Just goes to show how you can game a quiz - I can also get any personality combo I want to . . . though for reals I'm an IN-something.  The other two letters vary with mood, I think.

Oh, yeah, it's pretty easy to skew stuff one way or another to manipulate results.

Kareni's post reminded me that the one I got when I took it again was the book she got (All the Bright Places). I took it a third time & got a Neil Gaiman book.

I haven't seen a lot of Drew Barrymore movies & I'm wondering where the coffee is as a choice (and not in the shop itself because there's usually too much talking & music in a coffee shop for me to actually read much). :lol:

IN-something:

INsightful

INtelligent

INcredible

INspirational

INteresting

(I know you were talking about Meyers-Briggs personality types, but the statement brought those to mind -- for you & all the gals here on the BaW thread!) :cheers2:

Oh, yeah, it's pretty easy to skew stuff one way or another to manipulate results.

Kareni's post reminded me that the one I got when I took it again was the book she got (All the Bright Places). I took it a third time & got a Neil Gaiman book.

I haven't seen a lot of Drew Barrymore movies & I'm wondering where the coffee is as a choice (and not in the shop itself because there's usually too much talking & music in a coffee shop for me to actually read much). :lol:

IN-something:

INsightful

INtelligent

INcredible

INspirational

INteresting

(I know you were talking about Meyers-Briggs personality types, but the statement brought those to mind -- for you & all the gals here on the BaW thread!) :cheers2:

:cheers2:

Coming out of my fuzzy haze to say that after Northanger Abbey last week, I also finished Archimedes and the Door of Science and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  That brings my total up to 7.  The meds for my sinus infection are still making my head spin a little, making it hard to focus on writing reviews.  I started Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone last night.  I was supposed to start Vilette but too fuzzy minded for that.  

Now if only the underwear fairy would visit while I'm reading, life would be grand  ;)

I am finding Bring Up The Bodies to be a surprisingly fast read. I got it out on Saturday and by last night I was almost halfway through. I am guessing weekday life will cause a slowdown, but I should be done this week. I am considering reading "Daughter of Time" next. I have two young adult books on my list for the year and that is one. I also have "Redeployment' requested from the library, so who knows which I will get to first.

I have had Ulysses on my 'to read' list forever. I should just commit and read it. I might give it a shot next January. That is a good time for me to tackle a big classic, hence David Copperfield this past January. I am going to read at least one more classic this year, but I was planning on 100 Years of Solitude. I am sort of embarrassed I haven't read it yet.

Hi, all!    :seeya:

• I've finished two chunksters last week - All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and The Collected Autobiographies of Maya Angelou. Both were great. I find Maya Angelou a fascinating woman.

•  Daily Rituals: How Artists Work was a very interesting read.

• Searching For God Knows What by Donald Miller was good, but I wouldn't describe as funny (as the reviews promised). All I got was a couple of weak chuckles.  :o  I really like Miller's way of thought, but he is so.incredibly.slow - I kept falling asleep while reading.

Reading now A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson - I needed a break from serious books and I used to read her blog ages ago - Boomama.

Karen: I read several of Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom books (perhaps to Magic in the Shadows or one further) and then stopped for some now unremembered reason; I may have to start again.  I just read and enjoyed the first book in her newest series, however, which is set in an entirely different world.  Readers of paranormal and/or fantasy books might also enjoy it.

House Immortal (A House Immortal Novel) by Devon Monk

Yes, I read it and slow to start, seemed weird, but got into it and thoroughly enjoyed.

VC:  Too many books and not enough reading time. Great Girl is trying to repair my sedentary ways and is forcing me out daily for Zombie Runs: this is an app that encourages you on your jog by occasionally sending zombies after you, away from which to sprint. I have been eaten every time so far. She says if there is a Zombie Apocalypse she'll scoop up Wee girl and wish me well.

I should get that for my son.  We walk nightly and sometimes he's a slow slug.

Loesje   Being ill this week, so low reading results.   DD and DH are now ill, so I have only snippets of time to read.

Sending loads of hugs and virtual soup your way. 

Stacia:  Yeah, I'm just not that into it. It's fine, but I keep wondering if I *really* want to read another 350 pages of (mostly) angst & ruffled feathers. :001_rolleyes:  (I've read a spoiler or two about the book I'm reading, so I know there's a bit more than that, but still....)

Since I managed to make it through the whole book, you can too.  Cheer leading  poms poms are out and in full force.  Get to it, gal!

Lisa (hootowl)  I have browsed through these threads before over the last couple of years and have thoroughly enjoyed learning of all kinds of wonderful books out there that everyone is reading.  This year I'm hoping to complete the challenge myself and be a part of the discussion.  My biggest obstacle, however, is limiting my time online---which I usually justify to my husband and family as reading time because I'm reading news and forums like this (but also Pinterest and other black-hole, time-sucking places)---and actually read BOOKS! 

Welcome, glad you decided to join in.  The internet does have a way of sucking you in. At the beginning of the year, I gave up all the news, celebrity and stumble upon sites which actually freed up a lot of time.  :laugh:   Plus we don't watch much tv so spend our evenings reading.  

Jenn:  Last week I started and finished a chunkster fantasy epic, Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance, which of course isn't a stand alone book. Oh no, the story couldn't possibly be told in 1000+ pages. This was the second tome in the series and at least 3 more are needed to finish the tale! But, as those of you who've read Sanderson know, the guy writes a good story with interesting characters and all the magic and world building is slipped in without any cringe-inducing, action-breaking, awkward exposition passages.  It is a marvel how he does it, and it was the perfect read for me last week.

Darn, you had to do that to me.   :laugh:   I have to finish the Wheel of Time series  first before I dive into another new world.  Book 4 and 5 are in the stacks to read this year.

Robyn:  I've got Narrative Design and Sin and Syntax loaded on the Kindle and ready to read too. :)

:hurray:   I was looking at your picture the other day, thinking I know that person.  duh!  Glad you are taking the class too.  ND will be breaking up into two classrooms and I volunteered to facilitate (bob's word) one of the groups  Jumping in with both feet.  Have no idea what I'm doing, so this will be interesting.

4ofus:  I need to search back through & find the March author challenge. That challenge seems to be the only one I can keep up with :).

March mystification - all things mysterious and author flavor is Virginia Woolf

Michelle and Mum:  Palatable woolf story:

I read To The Lighthouse for a literature class a few years back so it was different than just reading for pleasure.  It's different as it is a lot of introspection and  observation.  It was intriguing to say the least. I know I wouldn't have appreciated it back in my younger years.  It is the only one of her stories I've read so far but have Mrs. Dalloway in the stacks so will be reading it during March.  But remember March is also mystery month so if you don't find Woolf to your liking, skip her and choose a different author you've been meaning to try.

Stacia:  Here's a fun quiz: Which New Book Should You Read?

Arg!  Twice with variations I got Jennifer Niven's All the Bright Places -- Nope, I don't think so.   3rd time - not the charm either. Kim Gordon memoir - girl in the band.  Oh well!

Zee:  I either have to stop reading these threads or increase my book budget

Increase your book budget, definitely.....

Angel ---- :grouphug:

RedSquirrel:  I am going to read at least one more classic this year, but I was planning on 100 Years of Solitude. I am sort of embarrassed I haven't read it yet.

Don't be embarrassed, I just read it a couple years ago.

Finished Obsession in Death and even got a bit misty eyed towards the end.  Great as always!

RedSquirrel:  I am going to read at least one more classic this year, but I was planning on 100 Years of Solitude. I am sort of embarrassed I haven't read it yet.

Don't be embarrassed, I just read it a couple years ago.

Yep, it's in my stack for the next few months.

A minor kitchen remodel has turned into a cascade of problems here, so I haven't been reading too much. For February I have read Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz, and Jane Eyre. JE has been on my to-read list for years, but the fluffy challenge was what I needed to finally do it. I thought it started out slow, but I ended up loving it. Now I need to find some movie versions to watch while I do my step aerobics at night. :)

Hello Book-a-Weekers!

I finished Northanger Abbey on Saturday, and I'm chortling my way through the Northanger Abbey section of Bitch in a Bonnet.  I'm also making incremental progress with HotMW and Raising your Spirited Child.  Also ongoing is The Harvard Classics in a Year: A Liberal Education in 365 Days.  We may be iced in tomorrow so I am dreaming about getting some more reading time in, although I'm sure that the kids will thwart that plan.  Ooh, I also bought the dramatized version of Mansfield Park with David Tennant and Benedict Cumberbatch, so I'm looking forward to starting that one during my next treadmill session!

100 Years of Solitude is on my "waaaay in the future" list, and I've never attempted to read anything by Virginia Woolf.  I'll have to start researching her works to see which one might suit me for March.

I'll probably have to give Brandon Sanderson another try.  The only books of his that I have read are the last three books of the Wheel of Time series, and I wasn't satisfied because the style was so different from Robert Jordan's.  I should give him another chance with his own stories.

Like others expressing hesitation at Virginia Woolf, I'll raise my hand.

I've never read her & I'm not sure I've ever tried reading her. But, I kind of hold a grudge against her stuff after reading Michael Cunningham's The Hours many years ago. Hated that book quite badly & have never been interested in trying Woolf after that. Unfair, I know. I'll have to see if I get over it by March, lol.

The author flavor isn't written in stone, so is changeable.   If everyone dislikes Woolf so intensely, who would you all recommend as a more palatable alternative to the author flavor of the month for march?  Trying to keep with the classics and since it is mystery month, there are a number of options

Start throwing names out there and we'll see who sticks.

I haven't read it, but this free Kindle book might be of interest to those of you who enjoy paranormal books that feature shifters ~

Wereleper (The Leopards Unleashed Series) by Dina Haynes

[i'll admit that the title makes me think of a leper shifting forms which I'm sure is NOT the intent!]

"MacKenzie can’t help but be a rebel. She was born one. A poor excuse for a wereleopard, she can’t shift, she can’t heal, she can’t hunt like the others.

She escapes all that, though, becomes a fugitive, and spends the next forty years hiding as a civilian amongst humans. But a girl’s gotta eat. Inevitably, life takes a turn when she’s caught infringing on the wrong female’s territory.

With an irresistible price on her head, Mac’s estranged father sends in his trusted friend and werehunter, Ramone. Mission: rescue.

Except, she puts up a mean game of cat and mouse. Understandable when crude genetics have been the “kick me†sign of her existence. MacKenzie lives, eats, and breathes mistrust, yet she watches this male defend her at every turn.

In her darkest hour, Ramone’s sacrifices add up. And when an unresolved family debt ties Mac to imminent death, his loyalty knows no bounds."

Regards,

Kareni

I've read quite a lot of Woolf, but it was quite a long time ago. I was always having to read something or another by her in college. I wasn't fond of her style, but I certainly don't have a grudge. And seeing as I've written at least... three? four? papers on her works one would think I would be able to say more than that, but I can't, lol.  Did I mention that it was over half my life ago, and it's not like she's come up in conversation much.

But, I also liked The Hours....Annnnd I can't remember much beyond that either. Sheesh, sometimes I really worry about my memory.

Thanks for the reassurances about not having read 100 years of solitude. I know I owned it at one time and started to read it. I CAN remember the first chapter quite clearly, lol. But, it was summer and I was working two jobs and sleep took precedence. I am sure I assumed I would pick it right up again in a week or so. I just heard someone make a comment about having read it as a teenager and everyone agreeing and I hadn't.

Violet Crown, if you are running with zombies, you might like Zombies, Run! Couch to 5k app better than the straight up Zombies, Run! app. I have done a bunch of C25k apps and that is my absolute favorite. I break it out every spring thaw when running is finally possible. You don't get caught by the zombies.  You can also turn off the 'get chased' feature and maybe even the getting caught part in the regular running app.

No running these days, it is well below zero in these parts. On Sunday, church got cancelled due to snow and extreme cold.  Good reading weather!

Thanks for the reassurances about not having read 100 years of solitude. I know I owned it at one time and started to read it. I CAN remember the first chapter quite clearly, lol. But, it was summer and I was working two jobs and sleep took precedence. I am sure I assumed I would pick it right up again in a week or so. I just heard someone make a comment about having read it as a teenager and everyone agreeing and I hadn't.

I tried reading it when my dc were really young. But, I quickly figured out that having 'new mommy brain' + 2 young ones wasn't conducive to reading a book where so many of the characters share the same few names. :lol:

I finally read it a couple of years ago.

I tried reading it when my dc were really young. But, I quickly figured out that having 'new mommy brain' + 2 young ones wasn't conducive to reading a book where so many of the characters share the same few names. :lol:

I finally read it a couple of years ago.

Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no, no.  I am DOOMED.  I can barely handle many characters with different names, so forget characters with the same name. It almost killed me that David Copperfield gets called different names by different people.

I am gonna need a bigger boat

:lol:  (Um. Yeah. You are.)  requin.gif

Maybe this? (Wish I would have printed a wall size of this when reading the book. And this doesn't even have all the characters. :huh: )

https://etinkerbell.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/100_years_of_solitude_family_t_by_clothos.jpg

ETA: You know I had to link it.... :laugh:

Got sucked into Ancillary Justice yesterday so read it instead of this thread, or anything else really :leaving:

Finished:

Three Men in A Boat :thumbup1: descriptions that made me want to be out boating mixed in with boring bits but the many laugh out loud moments made the book

Ancillary Justice :thumbup1: interesting how the 'she' usage paints pictures in my mind that are hard to combat -- this book reminds me of Lois McMaster Bujold a bit

Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no, no.  I am DOOMED.  I can barely handle many characters with different names, so forget characters with the same name. It almost killed me that David Copperfield gets called different names by different people.

The different names for different people is the reason I've given up on War and Peace twice.

Violet Crown, if you are running with zombies, you might like Zombies, Run! Couch to 5k app better than the straight up Zombies, Run! app. I have done a bunch of C25k apps and that is my absolute favorite. I break it out every spring thaw when running is finally possible. You don't get caught by the zombies. You can also turn off the 'get chased' feature and maybe even the getting caught part in the regular running app.

No running these days, it is well below zero in these parts. On Sunday, church got cancelled due to snow and extreme cold. Good reading weather!

Thanks for the tip! That app sounds more doable for me. The present me. Not the lithe, swift, toned me of the future, who laughs at zombies as she flashes by.

Right now is the best time for running around here, before it gets too hot to run happily, or indeed safely. Reading weather is September, when it's still 90+ or even 100+ degrees but the pools have closed because all the lifeguards are back in class. Even the undead stay indoors and complain about the air conditioning bills.

The different names for different people is the reason I've given up on War and Peace twice.

I often have to use an index card as a bookmark, on which I write the full name of each character and a few identifying words. Especially important in Russian novels, where Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov may be referred to as "Ivanov," "Ivan Ivanovich," "Vanya," or "Masha's husband."

Robin, I need to get my hands on the latest In Death book. I don't think I read the last one even... oops.

Rose, Spillover sounds utterly fascinating!

Michele, happy birthday!!

I'm behind in History Of The Medieval World. I should catch up today if I can.

Ooh, in the quiz I got  â€œTrigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances†by Neil Gaiman! I haven't read it yet and y'all know that I have a fangirl crush on Neil. I almost picked it up the other day but couldn't justify the price at B&N. 

Still making my way through the Rachel Morgan book. I keep falling asleep. Too much going on to focus. I'm ready to be able to rest and focus again. Someday, it'll happen. :p

I often have to use an index card as a bookmark, on which I write the full name of each character and a few identifying words. Especially important in Russian novels, where Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov may be referred to as "Ivanov," "Ivan Ivanovich," "Vanya," or "Masha's husband."

I might try that next time I feel brave :)

I'm taking a board break for Lent, but wanted to post my list before siging off.

Currently reading:

-HotMW (on schedule)

-Jane Eyre (slowly, the font is killing my eyes, I should get it on my ereader)

-All the Light We Cannot See (very good)

-Doris Lessing's - Shikasta (awesome, thanks Shukriyya for mentioning it!)

Recently I finished The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa, very sweet story about a houskeeper and a mathematics professor who can only remember the last 80 minutes. Too bad the editor didn't know any math, after getting lots of stories about prime numbers, it's a bit dumb to include 21 and 27 as primes  :rolleyes: . At least I'm assuming it's an editor's mistake :D.

After being dissapointed in The Circle by Dave Eggers, I saw Your Fathers Where Are They in the library, read the first page and got sucked into it immediately. Very interesting idea, a troubled young man kidnaps several people to talk with them, the whole book is written in dialogue. But despite the nice idea, it didn't work, it felt lame and unfinished. No more Eggers for me.

Loved No Impact Man by Colin Beavan.

Oh, and I read 10 books in J.D. Robb's In Death serie  :tongue_smilie: .

Total for this year: 24.

2 Dusties, 1 chunky.

------------

14. Yoko Ogawa – The Housekeeper and the Professor (BaW recommendaton) (N)

13. Colin Beavan – No Impact Man (simple living) (N)

12. Gerhard Hormann – Helemaal vrij! (simple living) (N)

11. Jon Krakauer – Into the Wild (N)

10. Dave Eggers – Your fathers where are they and the prophets do they live forever?(N)

9. Gerhard Hormann - Het nieuwe nietsdoen (simple living) (N)

8. Mortimer Adler – The Paideia Proposal, an Educational Manifesto (dusty)

7. Marguerite Duras – The Lover (dusty)

6. Penelope Lively – Consequenses (BaW recommendation)

5. José Eduardo Agualusa – Book of Chameleons (BaW recommendation)

4. Murakami – Kafka on the Beach (BaW recommendation, chunky) (N)

3. Marieke Henselman – Eigenwijs je hypotheek aflossen. (N)

2. Gerhard Hormann – Hypotheekvrij! (N)

1. Andy Weir - The Martian. (BaW recommendation) (N)

I am still here. I didn't read last week. I spent my time decluttering to make room for my new printer (love it, by the way). It is amazing how much paperwork over the years can accumulate. So now I have my printer and laptop on my desk instead of mounds of old paperwork. 

I also splurged  a new bookshelf and filled it up with the crates of books scattered throughout the bedroom. I am so proud of it. I find myself just standing in front of it admiring it. :)  It is mostly homeschooling and children's books, but at least they are off the floor.

I have lost count of the number of books I have read this year, but believe I am ahead of schedule.  I will make a list later. My last book was Pride and Prejudice which was a great accomplishment for me, and I feel as if i can now tackle a Bronte but dont know which one.

I have enjoyed hearing what everyone else is reading, and I hope everyone is well.

I took the quiz answering a cozy chair, during rain with tea (coffee not an option), and I was recommended:Girl in a Band: A Memoir†by Kim Gordon.