Menu

Playmobil experts: Less is more...or not? WWYD?

vikjul

Hoping from advice from those of you who have accumulated largeish Playmobil collections...

I really do believe in less is more as far as toys are concerned, but have never applied this to Playmobil and Lego, where it seems that more options rather add to the play value and longevity. However, looking at my DD's (6yo) already substantial Playmobil collection, with Christmas coming up, I am wondering whether there might actually be a point at which the law of diminishing returns applies to Playmobil as well...?

Just to give you an idea, my DD has acquired the following over the past few years:

- Egyptian temple, camels, loads of Egyptian figures and accessories (this is what she LOVES and uses the most)

- royal furniture and figures and every conceivable royal/fantasy accessory (uses often with Magnatiles and wooden blocks)

- dollhouse furniture, lots of food etc (uses often in wooden dollshouse, often together with the Egyptians :-))

- loads of forest animals, trees, landscape pieces (uses often together with Magnatiles & figures)

- pirate dungeon (used now and then)

- play park (interest slowly picking up after ignoring it for three years...)

We also have lots of Roman figures and knights that belong to her older brother.

For this upcoming Christmas, I have already bought (but obviously need to hold back or sell some) the following:

- African safari sets - gigantic watering hole and three smaller sets, all with sandy landscapes that combine to form a long river.

- Sphinx. This is a no-brainer I suppose, given the Egyptian love. But not sure about the play value?

- Egyptian tomb. I was thinking of holding this back for next year if I give her the sphinx now.

- Pool. This is the one item she has asked for year after year, but considering her preference for fantasy/history/animals over realistic play, I am not sure how much she would play with it. But it would be lovely to surprise her with this!

- Harbour café. Would add to pool and play park, and lots of smallish accessories (ice cream, bottles, glasses) that I know would get used in other setups.

Other than Playmobil, she will receive Haba marble run accessories, books and a small board game. I really don't want to overwhelm her with gifts to open, but on the other hand Playmobil is what she spends most of her time with during the year... Part of my concern is also that DD herself rarely asks for anything at all, so would definitely be happy with just one set. 

So, how would you decide what and how much to give? Do you think it would be excessive to give her the sphinx, African watering hole and pool for Christmas?  

I realize that it is a bit silly asking strangers about this, but my DH is sick of hearing me talk about Playmobil and as any Playmobil-lover will appreciate, these are very important decisions :-)

My experience was there was no diminishing returns with the sets they had high interest in, but less was more when it came to things they didn't love or use often. The latter just turns into more to pick up.

If it were me, I'd probably give her what she's asked for repeatedly (in your case the pool) plus one that you know she'll love. But part of that is based on the dollar amount we spend per child, which isn't very high.

If I didn't give all the Egypt stuff now, I'd plan on giving any remaining Egypt stuff in the not to distant future because the reality is that interests change. I used to save the sets that fit into your Harbour Cafe category for "just because" after having a major gift fail with a similar item.

I'd keep the Egyptian stuff (when is her b'day?) as she is using it NOW and if you wait..... also the pool since she has been asking for it.  Come to think of it, African sets go with Egypt a bit, too..... ;-)  I am not much help after all, am I.  If you give her the pool set now, hold the harbor stuff til b'day.

We have a ton of Playmobil; I think it was the best and most-loved "toy" my kids have.  I put toy in quotes because Playmobil is so much more than that.

So, less is not more when it comes to Playmobil in my opinion.   If I was going to hold one of the gifts back, it would probably be the African set, but I'd probably find a gift occasion in the not-too-distant future to give it to her, if her birthday is far off. 

If you are going over budget, though (I'm wondering about that since you said you might return or sell one or more sets rather than just wait to give them to her), then hold back.  

Ha-ha-ha!  I just clicked send on a Playmobil order not even 10 minutes ago!!

We're started our collection a few years ago and it's already getting pretty big.  My kids are fairly widely spaced in age but it's the one toy that they'll all sit down with together and play peacefully with for a long time.  We're slowly developing a storage problem.  

I think more is more with Playmobil, it's a great toy.

My experience was there was no diminishing returns with the sets they had high interest in, but less was more when it came to things they didn't love or use often. The latter just turns into more to pick up.

If it were me, I'd probably give her what she's asked for repeatedly (in your case the pool) plus one that you know she'll love. But part of that is based on the dollar amount we spend per child, which isn't very high.

If I didn't give all the Egypt stuff now, I'd plan on giving any remaining Egypt stuff in the not to distant future because the reality is that interests change. I used to save the sets that fit into your Harbour Cafe category for "just because" after having a major gift fail with a similar item.

Thank you, very useful to think about sets in terms of "just because", that is spot on and I will keep the harbour cafe for a later occasion.

I'd keep the Egyptian stuff (when is her b'day?) as she is using it NOW and if you wait..... also the pool since she has been asking for it.  Come to think of it, African sets go with Egypt a bit, too..... ;-)  I am not much help after all, am I.  If you give her the pool set now, hold the harbor stuff til b'day.

That's just it, the African sets would be perfect with the Egyptian stuff, I can just see her immersing herself in all the sand and animals along with her Egyptians... But I would also really like to show her that I have actually heard her asking for the pool year after year. Oh dear.

We have a ton of Playmobil; I think it was the best and most-loved "toy" my kids have.  I put toy in quotes because Playmobil is so much more than that.

So, less is not more when it comes to Playmobil in my opinion.   If I was going to hold one of the gifts back, it would probably be the African set, but I'd probably find a gift occasion in the not-too-distant future to give it to her, if her birthday is far off. 

If you are going over budget, though (I'm wondering about that since you said you might return or sell one or more sets rather than just wait to give them to her), then hold back.  

It's not a budget issue, more of not wanting to overwhelm. But her birthday is in September and we don't really do a lot of gift-giving in between Christmas and birthdays, hence my wish to optimise the Christmas gifts :-)

The only thing I think is not worth it is the buildings.  I felt like my kids got much more imaginative play when they weren't constrained by the buildings (and oh, the space they take up!!)  But it looks like you're on the same page with me, as the only building I see on your list is the Egyptian temple (and one of the smaller Egyptian things is actually the only "buliding" type thing my kids got - it could fit into a corner, and didn't have 'rooms' - more of a backdrop - so I relented).

I had them tell me which sets and figures they wanted to play with, and really, they all got tons of play.  I have three girls, and they got some kind of Playmobil every Christmas and birthday for years.  Usually not big sets each time, but even a couple of small sets x 3 girls x twice a year adds up fast!  We also got them a huge selection of doctor/hospital pieces off of Ebay once, because they wanted those kinds of pieces and at the time there was nothing like that currently in the rotation (well, past a couple of very small sets).  All of it got years and years and years of play.  I think they even named practically every piece!  Have no idea how they could keep track.

I think so too. Just wish there were more gift-giving occasions to spread it out a bit.

It's okay to allow yourself do some giving on non-occasions too. :-)  Cold winter days when you all have cabin fever, extended illnesses (child or mom), bored summer days, etc...it was always nice to have a new diversion tucked away that I'd picked up on clearance.

Another playmobil obsession here.  Can I come over and play with your new sets?  They sound like fun!

Here, less isn't more with playmobil, except maybe for the larger pieces.  The only things that don't seem to get used here are the Roman arena and the Egyptian pyramid - those tend to be tucked away because they take too much space.  Everything else is adored.

I would give her the pool, since she's wanted it for so long, and probably the African and Egyptian sets as well.  I'd save the Harbour set for later.  Or possibly one of the other Egyptian sets, too, if I'd overbought for our normal holiday giving.

Or... you could break up one of the sets and make your own advent calendar.  I did that one year.  I used card stock, and printed designs on it, folded into cone shapes (used a template I found online) and labeled each with a number.  Kiddo opened one a day, just like a normal playmobil advent calendar, but it was a set he wanted more.  ... You could get creative and do something like that.  

Happy playing!

Another playmobil obsession here.  Can I come over and play with your new sets?  They sound like fun!

Here, less isn't more with playmobil, except maybe for the larger pieces.  The only things that don't seem to get used here are the Roman arena and the Egyptian pyramid - those tend to be tucked away because they take too much space.  Everything else is adored.

I would give her the pool, since she's wanted it for so long, and probably the African and Egyptian sets as well.  I'd save the Harbour set for later.  Or possibly one of the other Egyptian sets, too, if I'd overbought for our normal holiday giving.

Or... you could break up one of the sets and make your own advent calendar.  I did that one year.  I used card stock, and printed designs on it, folded into cone shapes (used a template I found online) and labeled each with a number.  Kiddo opened one a day, just like a normal playmobil advent calendar, but it was a set he wanted more.  ... You could get creative and do something like that.  

Happy playing!

Very nice to share the playmobil obsession :-)

I think that I have decided to go with the following three sets for Christmas:

- Pool

- Sphinx

- Wildlife waterhole (the biggest African safari set)

(And, knowing myself, I will probably sneak in some extra/indispensible safari animals in the waterhole box...)

Then Egyptian tomb with treasure and the additional safari sets for her 7th birthday in September. All subject to change and additions of course :-)

I would give her all the sets.  My dd is a playmobile fan as well.  It is the most played toy in the house.  She incorporates it with the calico critters, legos, magna formers, cardboard boxes, bottle caps and pretty much anything else that captures her imagination.  Dh often has said we have enough playmobile but every set dd gets just makes her play much more intricate.  I've decided you just can't have too much playmobile. 

It's okay to allow yourself do some giving on non-occasions too. :-)  Cold winter days when you all have cabin fever, extended illnesses (child or mom), bored summer days, etc...it was always nice to have a new diversion tucked away that I'd picked up on clearance.

Oh, I agree.

Every now and then it is fun to shake up the routine with something new.  We don't spend a lot of money on stuff.   We don't give gifts on some "typical" gift occasions, such as Easter (not sure how typical overall but I know that I am in the minority among friends/acquaintances on this). 

But sometimes... a surprise out of the blue is so much fun. 

Well, shoot,  I like to surprise myself occasionally by buying something I don't have a great need for! 

Just a little update: I thought I would browse through some Playmobil catalogues with DD again just to double-check her preferences. I hadn't intended to for fear of ruining the surprise factor, but it turned out to be a VERY good idea. She flipped past the page with the pool as if she hadn't seen it and when I casually mentioned that she used to really like it, she was completely uninterested :huh:. Whereas she ooohed and aahed when she reached the Egyptian pages. And she payed lots of attention to the safari sets too. So problem solved, Egypt and wildlife it is :hurray: !

Anyway, thanks for great advice from all you fellow Playmobil-lovers today!

(And the pool will find a great home with my god-daughter next year :-)) 

I'm in the stage of Getting Rid of All The Stuff...so take this for what it is worth.

We are keeping ALL the Thomas the Tank Engine stuff.  It fits in one storage bin.

We are keeping ALLL the Legos...but we bought too much of it.  So it is a millstone, too.  It belongs to my son, though, and someday he might want to liquidate some for cash.  He wants to keep all the minifigs and the Bionicles.  EIGHT storage bins.

Playmobil...I got rid of all the buildings like forts and so on.  I kept a couple of "scene-setting" buildings for inspiration in play.  These small buildings were not a waste of money, but some of the big stuff was.  And I need it to fit in one small storage box...and now it does.  

The fort etc. made a great gift for a 5yo boy last year.  HE doesn't care that it is used.  

Now if only I could figure out what to do with the pirate ship...it's all a-tangle and I don't know what to do with that thing.  It's gotta go, though.  

Here, less isn't more with playmobil, except maybe for the larger pieces. The only things that don't seem to get used here are the Roman arena and the Egyptian pyramid - those tend to be tucked away because they take too much space. Everything else is adored.

Happy playing!

I agree. I just put in an order with the parts department for more kids, unicorns, and some weapons. My girls like the Playmobil girls. I told them it was cheaper to buy the few things they liked than the entire set.

I'm glad you're relenting and giving her all of the Egyptian ones you have.  The tomb set is great for imaginative play.  Our kids have had lots of fun with the false wall and just generally having that as a house/building.  Plus, shaduf!

And the Sphinx - very fun.  Hiding place.  Key.  Don't underestimate it. :)

I think so too. Just wish there were more gift-giving occasions to spread it out a bit.

I don't know how you school, but some families have cut-off dates in May or June and take the summer off. I think a gift for a school year well done and a promotion into the new school year is a good idea. This didn't work in my home, but you could set up something special with the reward being a special item. Like if a predetermined set of books was read. Or a certain amount of writing, above and beyond normal homework. I wouldn't push kids into doing these types of things but I'd lay it out as a possibility with ground rules. For example, what would happen if she quit halfway through? I think little rewards could be given at set times but the big gift is only available if the whole project is completed. My kids liked the few things they got along the way and lost interest in the special item. I think my expectations were too high.

I'm glad you're relenting and giving her all of the Egyptian ones you have.  The tomb set is great for imaginative play.  Our kids have had lots of fun with the false wall and just generally having that as a house/building.  Plus, shaduf!

And the Sphinx - very fun.  Hiding place.  Key.  Don't underestimate it. :)

Sounds promising!

And I had to look up shaduf, thanks for pointing it out! Details like that will definitely appeal to my DD who went to school wearing a huge anch-necklace today!