Menu

Waking up drenched with sweat, but only some nights? (Me, not my kids)

SKL

Is this mental-pause or what? I will wake up needing to change my T-shirt, with no recollection of how it got sweaty. It has happened 3 or 4 times over the past month or two. FTR I have never missed my monthly visitor so far. Is this a symptom of anything or am I just getting old?

How old are you? Are you menopausal? If you aren't in that category, I would recommend seeing your doctor. My husband was diagnosed with Hodgkin's in 2007 and that was one of the symptoms.

I agree, if you're not menopausal or expecting that very soon, I'd see your doc. I also had another condition that caused drenching night sweats, and it had nothing to do with menopause.

Do you have any other symptoms? (Menopausal or otherwise?)

I'm 46 and I keep hoping for menopause to come, but I really don't know if I'm close. My mom had all her parts removed before menopause, so she's no help, and my sisters are all younger than I am. It certainly hasn't "paused" from what I can tell. ... PS, you guys are freaking me out with all this cancer and heart disease stuff. Gulp.

Other symptoms? It's hard to say since I've been continuously sick for the past month (I assume it's the flu but boy is it lingering). But the first one or two "night sweats" happened before I got sick, I think.

If you're 46, I'll bet it's perimenopause.

Google perimenopause symptoms and you'll probably feel a lot better about this! Night sweats are a very, very common thing at your age (and also at my age!)

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask your doctor about it if you're concerned, but if all is basically OK otherwise, I'd be willing to bet it's just a normal thing for a woman in her mid-40's. :) It's not like this just suddenly started happening every single night and you also have other weird symptoms. I am usually the first person to be overly cautious, but I really think this is nothing at all to worry about.

You're the right age for perimenopause and this is not uncommon. However, as others have said, this is cause for a visit to the doctor because of the possibility that it is cancer. I know that freaks you out, but you have a potentially benign explanation that is probably it, but you don't want to stick your head in the sand if it's not. Sorry! You're probably okay!

Is this mental-pause or what? I will wake up needing to change my T-shirt, with no recollection of how it got sweaty. It has happened 3 or 4 times over the past month or two. FTR I have never missed my monthly visitor so far. Is this a symptom of anything or am I just getting old?

Sometimes if your body is fighting something, it will happen - regardless of perimenopause or not. Have a check up.

You mentioned something about a lingering flu. Perhaps your body is trying to sweat out a persistent infection?

Dh has night sweats when his blood sugar is elevated.

I never knew that could cause it. I get night sweats a lot and now I'm going to have to pay attention to see if it coincides with what I ate for a snack before bed. And I'm only 34 so I am pretty sure it's not menopause related. :tongue_smilie:

I'm 43 and get PMS night sweat a few nights about a week before period. I started taking calcium/mag and progesterone cream from day 14 of cycle to period starts the night sweats are gone

I would go for a hormone check if your over 40.

I was going to say exactly the same thing! I get night sweats a couple nights in the week before my period.

I haven't tried taking anything for it.

I never knew that could cause it. I get night sweats a lot and now I'm going to have to pay attention to see if it coincides with what I ate for a snack before bed. And I'm only 34 so I am pretty sure it's not menopause related. :tongue_smilie:

Wow, I'm 35 and I get these too. I never really thought anything of it. I have to say these boards are quite informative. I'm all ears...

I agree with the sugar thing. And carbs. I noticed last year that I started waking up in the middle of the night covered in sweat. When I changed my diet (Primal Blueprint) it stopped. I read then that it has something to do with your body trying to dump excess blood sugar, and since your metabolism slows down when you sleep your body heats up to try to dump it that way, But it may have also been connected to hormones, I noticed a big difference when I cut out soy, but I'm just particularly sensitive to my own hormones.

Now that I'm pregnant and indulging in carbs and sugar again (trying to keep it just nuts and fruits!) the night sweats haven't come back. But I'm still trying to keep away from soy as well. But being pregnant my metabolism and hormones are just wonky, so ymmv.