Menu

POLL: Would you be concerned...

How long would it take to concern you?  

1. 1. How long would it take to concern you?

• I wouldn't ever get concerned; numbness doesn't bother me.
    • 30 minutes or less
    • 1-3 hours
    • 4-12 hours
    • 1-3 days
    • 4-7 days
    • 2 weeks
    • 3-4 weeks
    • 6-8 weeks or more
    • other

if you woke up and your pinky and ring finger, as well as that side of your palm, were numb? Not totally "I can't feel a pin prick" numb, but numb and tingly when touched like "the novocaine is wearing off."

How many minutes/hours/days would the numbness have to last in order for you to become concerned?

ETA: The numbness comes and goes, sometimes very strong and other times nearly nonexistent.

I can't answer because I don't know your age, health, history, sleeping habits, mattress type, and so on:tongue_smilie:

I have a messed up back and this happens to me from time to time. It will happen every day for a few weeks, up to a few hours a day. Nothing to be concerned about according to my doctor.

But if you have risk factors for neuropathy, stroke, or other such things that could be a different story.

Hope it isn't bothering you too much!

That is the sign of a pinched ulnar nerve and cubital tunnel syndrome.

It is much like carpal tunnel syndrome - except with the elbow instead of the wrist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve_entrapment

Not immediately serious - but the longer you let it go permanent nerve damage can occur.

:iagree::iagree:

My son has had this problem. He uses an elbow splint when he sleeps.

He also has to be careful that he doesn't sleep on his arms. I would mention it to the doctor next time I was in.

Hth

Faithe.

Wow! I just dealt with something like this. I was doing a lot of computer work and instead of using my mouse, I was using the little red pointer thingy in the middle of my laptop keyboard. I started having trouble with my right hand falling asleep pretty much every night. It really worried me.

My dh is a computer guy and he told me to go to the drugstore and get one of the wrist wraps for Carpel tunnel (mine is stiff with a gel insert that supports the hand and wrist- very nice). It has completely fixed the problem - as long as I make sure I sleep with it every night. If I forget, I will still wake up with my hand asleep.

My dh also got me one of those "wave" keyboards and a mouse that I use with my wrist turned to the side instead of at an angle bent upward. It took me a while to get used to, but the combination of these with the wrist wrap has really helped.

I don't know if this is what is causing your problem, but if you do a lot of computer work - it could be.

Good luck.

One time wouldn't concern me as I'd think it was a temporary slept on it wrong to put pressure on the nerve thing. Continued or "come and go" over any significant time and I'd be thinking pinched nerve. For me it was in the nerve along the elbow--Ulnar--and those are the affected fingers with that type of compression.

I still have trouble with it sometimes but if I make sure I don't have a bent arm or lay on the arm on that side while sleeping (I use pillows) I do pretty well. I also have to watch arm position at the table/computer with that arm.

Given you woke up that way I'm wondering if you sleep with your elbow bent or similar? Low vitamin D seemed to make me more prone to those types of nerve issues.

Edited by sbgrace

My dh is a computer guy and he told me to go to the drugstore and get one of the wrist wraps for Carpel tunnel (mine is stiff with a gel insert that supports the hand and wrist- very nice). It has completely fixed the problem - as long as I make sure I sleep with it every night. If I forget, I will still wake up with my hand asleep.

Carpal tunnel usually affects the thumb, pointer and middle fingers -

the ring and pinkie are affected by the ulnar nerve in the elbow, so a wrist splint probably would not help you - but an elbow splint might.

You need to keep your elbow as straight as possible, and definitely don't rest your head on your arm when you sleep. (That was my biggest problem!)

There are also exercises you can do to try to relieve the nerve

http://cubitaltunnelsyndrome.net/cubital-tunnel-syndrome-exercises.html

Check your physical routine and see if you are leaning on a hard surface often with the points or area of your elbows.

That sounds like a pinched nerve. Takes time for the swelling to come down.

If you find you are on hard surfaces with your elbow area often, be sure to take breaks frequently, stretch and use padding / posture to correct a bad habit.

Carpal tunnel usually affects the thumb, pointer and middle fingers -

the ring and pinkie are affected by the ulnar nerve in the elbow, so a wrist splint probably would not help you - but an elbow splint might.

I get it on the ring and pinkie if I rest my wrist on a mouse pad with one of those bumps. Wrist problems are more common than elbow (unless you are talking about tendon problems like tennis and golf elbow :)).

I have numbness in hands related to carpal tunnel issues and diabetic neuropathy issues....so it's kinda par for the course for me...was supposed to have surgery but they couldn't promise that it would help the numbness and I figured I didn't want to deal with it and it not work so I didn't pursue it.....

Try the chiropractor! I've had wonky feelings in my left hand, attributed to the nerves and a trip to the chiropractor always fixes it.

I have woken up in the night with my hand so dead I couldn't feel it nor move my hand. It is a crazy feeling - where's my arm!?!?!? - but it always goes away within a few minutes.

My dh had similar symptoms. Magnesium worked like magic. His acupuncturist told him to take it.

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency:

Joint Pain

Muscle cramps or twitching or spasms

Spasms

NERVE PROBLEMS AND MUSCLE SPASMS

Magnesium helps eliminate peripheral nerve disturbances that can lead to migraines, leg and foot cramps, gastrointestinal cramps, and other muscle aches and pains.

HOW MUCH TO TAKE

For most people on a healthy diet, 400 mg of Magnesium daily should be sufficient. But for those who have symptoms of deficiency (and many of us are deficient), I would recommend more, but probably no more than 1200 mg. Add in more magnesium gradually. Your body knows how much it can handle according to how much your bowels can tolerate. The stools should feel soft, but not excessively loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

I have read that it’s preferable to not take magnesium at the same time as calcium. Others say that it’s fine. This is where I am confused. I think the former makes more sense.

The most absorbable forms are:

Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Glycinate

Magnesium Taurate

Magnesium Aspartate

Magnesium Malate

Magnesium Succinate

Magnesium Fumirate

Avoid:

Magnesium Oxide

Magnesium Carbonate

Magnesium Gluconate

Magnesium Sulfate

These are not absorbed well and are the cheapest forms

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to Magnesium Glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

NATURAL SOURCES

Almonds

Avocado

Barley

Beans

Brazil nuts

Brown rice

Buckwheat

Dark Chocolate

Dates

Figs

Garlic

Greens (including Collard Greens and Dandelion Greens)

Kelp

Molasses

Millet

Parsley

Pecans

Rye

Sea vegetables (seaweed and kelp – but make sure they come from non-polluted waters and are high-quality)

Shrimp

Walnuts

Whole Grains

Wheat bran

Wheat germ

EPSOM SALTS BATH

Taking a bath or a foot soak with Epsom salts is one of the best ways to increase the body’s absorption of magnesium. Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulfate and are easily absorbed by the body.

Take a hot bath with up to 2 cups of Epsom salts and 1 cup baking soda (optional) to help draw toxins out of the body. Try to do this once a week, but for no more than 20 minutes. A foot soak can also be very beneficial.

Epsom salts are so helpful in bringing relief to:

• Arthritis pain, stiffness, soreness, and tightness of joints

• Muscle aches, pains and tenderness

• Painful bruises, sprains and strains

• Pain from over exertion as a result of exercise

• Insomnia and Sleep Problems

• Stress

• Insect Bites and Splinters

REASONS FOR MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY

Diets that are highly-processed and refined – mostly white flour, red meat, and dairy – none of these have magnesium. Food processing removes much of the magnesium (as well as other minerals) that’s naturally found in certain foods.

Antacids and other indigestion medicines disrupt magnesium absorption.

Modern farming practices deplete magnesium and other minerals in the soil.

Medications including diuretics, birth control pills, insulin, tetracycline and other antibiotics, and cortisone lead to magnesium deficiencies.

Too much calcium often leads to an imbalance . These two minerals need to be in balance.