Menu

Anyone have experience with Vit D deficiency?

My doc recommended I take 50,000 iu pill once a week for 3 months and then have my blood work redone.

Does this sound like a good idea? I don't even know where to get a 50,000 iu of Vitamin D. Maybe it is a prescription.

I've been trying to let a little sun on my skin in the last few days. I've been a slave to sunscreen for the last 20 some years.

You need Vit. D. The way to get it is by the sun. Vit D difficiency causes lots of problems. Go online and type in the benifits of Vit D. You can go to a health food store and get a ton of info. You have a good Dr. if he or she is just prescribing vit. d.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I read recently that a lot of people probably are Vit. D deficient. Between sunscreen and not going outside as much people aren't getting the Vit. D they need. The 50,000 iu boost for 8-12 seems to be a common treatment.

https://www.prohealth.com/shop/product.cfm/product__code/PH301?GCLID=COaV5q6hpZoCFQO2FQodkhBn-g

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=JM-1028

The top link is an actual 50,000 iu Vit. D supplement. That's harder to find. The second is a 5,000 iu supplement. You could just take 10 of those (I know, it'as a lot of pills.

Hope it helps.

I was diagnosed with Vit D definciency this spring. My Dr. told me to take 1,000 IU daily. The store where I buy my Vitamins said to take 2,000 IU daily for a week and then go back to 2 and they felt that 5 - 6,000 daily was very safe. I have been reading that 52,000 IU is recommended if you are deficient. I don't know what a deficiency feels like, but I am feeling better mentally altho taht could be to other changes I am making. I am having the Vit D bloodwork redone in a few weeks, so we will see if the small amount I am taking is helping or not.

My 3 year old has a D deficiency. She takes 5,000 IU daily unless sick, then it's more.

D deficiency is unbelievably common and causes so many health problems. I'm pleased to hear your doctor recommending that amount to you. :)

I would like to start taking Vitamin D. I don't know if I am deficient but it sounds like a good idea. I also think it would be good for my kids. Does anyone know a good dose for someone without a diagnosed deficiency. What about a kids dose (for ages 11, 14 and 17). I'm assuming the teens could probably take as much as me.

The Canadian Cancer Society recommends 1000 mg per day Oct thru April for light-skinned Canadians who get sun-exposure in the summer. (Because of our latitude, it is difficult to get enough Vit D from the sun during the winter.) Darker-skinned Canadians, those who stay inside, or those who keep covered in the summer need to take the supplement year 'round. More details here. I'm sure that the US FDA (or some other agency) has their own guidelines.

I had a severe vitamin D deficiency. It caused me to have acid like pain in my bones. I am now taking 10,000 IU of vitamin D a day just to keep at a normal level. You can find vitamin D pills in dosages up to about 2000 IU (at least that I've seen) but really high dosages need to be prescribed. It's not that you can't take it in lower dosages but you would have to take an awful lot of pills to add up to 50,000 IU's!

I have Lupus and was just diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency. The sun causes my lupus to flare so I avoid it like the plague. Like some one else posted, I also had crazy bone pain in my legs. It's not fun. My doctor prescribed 50,000 iu once a week for 12 weeks and recommends permanent daily supplementation after that. There are so many things that can happen with low vitamin d levels. I hope this helps.

Blessings,

I haven't read all of your replies, so forgive me if this was already mentioned. But personally, I always opt for a food source when available. And luckily in this case it is. Cod liver oil is rich in natural Vitamin D (and has Vitamin A, EPA, and DHA as well, all good for you!). I think that "superfoods" are preferable to isolated synthetic vitamins because they are more easily digested and used by the body.

ETA: Forgot to mention that Blue Ice is an excellent brand with high standards for purity. It isn't easy to find, though. I've never seen it on a store shelf. I buy it at the office of an MD/ND. I believe you can purchase it online through Green Pastures.

Edited by GretaLynne

I would like to start taking Vitamin D. I don't know if I am deficient but it sounds like a good idea. I also think it would be good for my kids. Does anyone know a good dose for someone without a diagnosed deficiency. What about a kids dose (for ages 11, 14 and 17). I'm assuming the teens could probably take as much as me.

I take 1/2 tsp of cod liver oil and give each of my kids (4 and 2) 1/4 tsp.

I think deficiency is very common -- but there doesn't seem to be much of a "standard" in how to deal with it. My doctor recommended 2,000iu/day for now, and test again the next time I go in... But I think the higher dosage recommended to you isn't wildly outside the norm either (and your deficiency may be much more severe than mine)...

Wow, that kind of dose makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. I get nauseated if I take more than 1000 iu at a time, but I do have a sensitive stomach. YMMV!

Hope you feel better.

That's the same dose I take (the large one). Sorry you get nauseated! I've never noticed any stomach problems with taking it (probably because mine is made of cast iron).

I got a letter from Center for Occupational & Environmental Medicine sent to pharmacists:

Quote:

I am pleased that many of you have called to get the Interferon-Alpha (INT-A) for Flu, as recommended in the previous Alert. A common question asked is, "I have had this formula in the refrigerator for the past 1 to 2 years. Is it still good?" We believe that this product, when refrigerated, can be stored for years and not lose its effectiveness. Therefore, it is not necessary to buy new drops if you have sufficient of the old.

This pending flu epidemic or pandemic is most unusual because of the lateness in the season. The theory currently believed is that when the body's Vitamin D level falls in the winter months due to low sun exposure, it is responsible for susceptibility to flu viruses. Likewise, most flu seasons turn off like a faucet as soon as the angle of the sun changes in the early spring. The question then is, "Why now?"

It is imperative that every person takes supplementary Vitamin D in the dose of 2,000 to 4,000 I.U. daily. This should prevent you from getting the flu right from the start. Also, as stated in the first Alert, the excessive response to the virus by your body is normally what provokes the pneumonias and death. Therefore, experience suggests that taking 1,000 I.U. of Vitamin D per pound of body weight for 3 days, when acutely ill, will down-regulate this response. We have both liquid Vitamin D drops for children (2,000 I.U. per drop) and high-dose Vitamin D capsules (50,000 I.U. per capsule) for those who are acutely ill and weigh over 50 pounds. To recap: these high doses of Vitamin D (1,000 I.U. per pound of body weight) are ONLY to be used when acutely ill.

The use of Interferon-Alpha for Flu has been shown alone to be extremely effective in preventing the virus, and shutting it down when infected. Please follow the instructions on proper use of the formula. Stay safe and well.

Allan Lieberman, M.D., F.A.A.E.M.

Medical Director, COEM

Consultant in Occupational and Environmental Medicine

I have been told that most people can not get enough Vit. D from Cod Liver Oil, because by the time you would get enough, the levels of Vit. A would be toxic. Vit. D 3 is the only type available for humans, and it is not synthetic. (All of this is what I was told, I have not researched it extensively.

#46 this post has more information, as does the rest of the thread.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

test kit: In-Home ZRT Vitamin D Blood Test Kit

I just in for routine physical and because we live where the sun doesn't shine ( the entire month of January had as much sun as the 4th of July..about 8 hours..no joke) my Dr. just added it to my blood work up.

I don't know that I felt ill, just in general tired all winter.

did you feel ill?

I don't really feel ill I just asked to have it tested. I do have an autoimmune disease that has been linked to low vit. D.

The Dr. tested me initially because I was so fatigued. I never dreamed that the pain I felt in my bones (picture acid flowing through your bones - that's what it felt like) - was from that. I had always been told that was just because of my fibromyalgia.

Not all of my problems have gone away with vitamin D supplementation - but the pain is gone and my energy is better than it was.

did you feel ill?

I don't really feel ill I just asked to have it tested. I do have an autoimmune disease that has been linked to low vit. D.

I don't know. I went in because some of my old autoimmune symptoms were flaring up. The rheumatologist didn't necessarily say that the vit D deficiency was causing any of the other symptoms I was having, but he was concerned and I had a mini lecture about taking this seriously (when I sort of laughed and said, "Isn't everybody?" when he told me I was deficient)...

I was also tested because a doctor decided to test it along with some other stuff in relation to my autoimmune disorders. My doc is HOPING that some of the muscle weakness (to the extreme) is related. Fatigue is part of the problem also.

The first bit of supplementation didn't bring it up enough so I'm on week 2 of another round now. My level is in the 20's now I think. We're hoping to bring it WAY up :) I'll be able to tell you what help I get from supplementation if it works this time.

My level is in the 20's now I think. We're hoping to bring it WAY up :) I'll be able to tell you what help I get from supplementation if it works this time.

Pamela, I didn't really feel better until my levels were in the 60's. We decided to keep my levels on the higher end of the range because I seem to feel better that way.

In the interest of presenting different view, not everyone agrees that the population is horribly vitamin D deficient.

Vitamin D is not a "nutrient" like other vitamins. It is a powerful secosteroid hormone produced by the body, and it might make a person feel better in the short term for the same reason that prednisone makes a person feel better. It suppresses the immune system (which is why it might be helpful in the Swine Flu).

Has anyone else read anything about this?

Anyone else's flags going up on this? At all?

Edited by Tea Time

In the interest of presenting different view, not everyone agrees that the population is horribly vitamin D deficient.

Vitamin D is not a "nutrient" like other vitamins. It is a powerful secosteroid hormone produced by the body, and it might make a person feel better in the short term for the same reason that prednisone makes a person feel better. It suppresses the immune system (which is why it might be helpful in the Swine Flu).

From what I've been told, and have researched, vitamin D deficiency is more common in the more northern states and countries. Yes, it is a hormone and most people who get enough sunlight can get enough. But - not everyone can. People with darker skin have a harder time getting enough. I don't know why I have a problem getting enough - I do go outside and I'm white as all get out, but I do have a problem.

I have not heard that it suppresses the immune system. In fact having too low vitamin D can lead to osteopenia (bone softening), osteoporosis, and even cancer (or at least low levels are often present in people with cancer, I'm not sure about if it "leads to" cancer).

Very interesting. It does lower the exagerated immune response, but I would not equate that with suppressing the immune system, as Vit D is recommended for preventing the flu as well. I agree that I would like to learn more.

Very interesting. It does lower the exagerated immune response, but I would not equate that with suppressing the immune system, as Vit D is recommended for preventing the flu as well. I agree that I would like to learn more.

I'm not sure what an exaggerated immune response is compared to a "normal" one, and I have not read about vitamin D preventing the flu either, so I can't comment on that. If by preventing you really mean reducing symptoms, then that is again a demonstration of suppressing the immune response and is quite different than prevention. We want to feel better when we are sick, but to do so at the expense of the body's ability to fight pathogens, that is not a good trade off.

Here is an article that sums up the basic debate, if you can call it that - I think there are very, very few doctors or researchers questioning the vitamin D bandwagon at this point. Like I said, I just have my own red flags, like the fact that some pediatricians now recommend vitamin D supplements for breastfeeding babies. If high levels of supplementation do suppress the immune system - if that is at all a possibility - then how can it be a good idea to do that to infants or to small children whose immune systems are only just forming?

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/10/27/f-strauss-vitamind.html?ref=rss&loomia_si=t0:a16:g4:r5:c0:b0

Like I said, I know this is a minority POV, and I am far, far from decided myself, but I often tend to find the friction point on things, and this is no exception. Could well be my own personal flaw, so take it with a grain of salt and your vitamin D supplements if you wish! ;)

Tea Time, thank you for more information. I will definitely look into this. Many times our bodies need hormones in order to regulate something. So, regulating our immune response does not necessarily mean that we are suppressing it. For example, adrenal hormones regulate temperature. If they are low, then your body temperature will have fluxuations out of the norm. It starts out lower than normal and works its way up to a fever, then crashes out again. When you supplement this hormone, the temperature extremes then even out. You are not suppressing your body temperature, but regulating it.

It is my understanding that people who are considered young and healthy are most likely to die from the swine flu, the reason being that their immune system is strong, and the damage is caused by exagerated immune response. If the immune response was not exagerated, then your immune system would be helping, not harming.

I got a letter from Center for Occupational & Environmental Medicine sent to pharmacists:

Quote:

I am pleased that many of you have called to get the Interferon-Alpha (INT-A) for Flu, as recommended in the previous Alert. A common question asked is, "I have had this formula in the refrigerator for the past 1 to 2 years. Is it still good?" We believe that this product, when refrigerated, can be stored for years and not lose its effectiveness. Therefore, it is not necessary to buy new drops if you have sufficient of the old.

This pending flu epidemic or pandemic is most unusual because of the lateness in the season. The theory currently believed is that when the body's Vitamin D level falls in the winter months due to low sun exposure, it is responsible for susceptibility to flu viruses. Likewise, most flu seasons turn off like a faucet as soon as the angle of the sun changes in the early spring. The question then is, "Why now?"

It is imperative that every person takes supplementary Vitamin D in the dose of 2,000 to 4,000 I.U. daily. This should prevent you from getting the flu right from the start. Also, as stated in the first Alert, the excessive response to the virus by your body is normally what provokes the pneumonias and death. Therefore, experience suggests that taking 1,000 I.U. of Vitamin D per pound of body weight for 3 days, when acutely ill, will down-regulate this response. We have both liquid Vitamin D drops for children (2,000 I.U. per drop) and high-dose Vitamin D capsules (50,000 I.U. per capsule) for those who are acutely ill and weigh over 50 pounds. To recap: these high doses of Vitamin D (1,000 I.U. per pound of body weight) are ONLY to be used when acutely ill.

The use of Interferon-Alpha for Flu has been shown alone to be extremely effective in preventing the virus, and shutting it down when infected. Please follow the instructions on proper use of the formula. Stay safe and well.

Allan Lieberman, M.D., F.A.A.E.M.

Medical Director, COEM

Consultant in Occupational and Environmental Medicine

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Loved, please forgive me if I am not up to the job of arguing this issue or delving into the science on this board. That was the point of my post. This is biochemistry at its highest and most complex level. This is not dental work or even heart transplants – which are relatively like working on a truck compared to dealing with the immune system. I ain’t even goin’ there because I know perfectly well that, despite having read and studied intensely, I haven’t got a clue!!! The more I read, the more I realize this.

If you feel comfy “regulating†your hormones or your immune response, then by all means, supplement away. And if you are comfy taking the advice of the Center for Occupational & Environmental Medicine, then rest assured in your choice.

Please understand though that this comment is not really science it is speculation, and given the fact that this flu started in MEXICO CITY, it seems like pretty poor speculation to me because I live on the border of Mexico, and this winter we grew tomatoes all year long – we had TONS of sun, and we are some 1500 miles NORTH of Mexico city:

*******The theory currently believed is that when the body's Vitamin D level falls in the winter months due to low sun exposure, it is responsible for susceptibility to flu viruses. Likewise, most flu seasons turn off like a faucet as soon as the angle of the sun changes in the early spring************

Furthermore, this is only one small aspect of the D issue. Even if D does indeed prove to be beneficial to warding off the flu (not just symptoms), then that still does not speak to whether or not it is advantageous in the treatment of chronic illness which may be due to a whole other world of imbalances or even pathogens.

Example: anemia and low iron levels are found in chronic disease; however, increasing the iron levels will not cure the disease and may make it worse. It is not a cause but rather a result of the disease process. Quick fixes almost never work. No one wishes they did more than I do. :sad:

As I said before, when the medical community suggests we start dumping 10 times the previous recommended dose of a “vitamin†I have flags go up. Really that is all I am saying.

I haven’t read all the posts, but someone suggested that the best way to get our vitamin D was through food sources and the sun. I agree with that.

This thread had no other viewpoint represented, so I put one out there for others who also might have flags go up. There is more out there if you look for it, but mostly it does lean toward supplementation right now. It is a popular bandwagon, but in truth the science behind it is lacking. That is just my opinion. I admit I am not very smart though, and anyone who is more knowledgable and confident than I am will rightly ignore this post.

Furthermore, this is only one small aspect of the D issue. Even if D does indeed prove to be beneficial to warding off the flu (not just symptoms), then that still does not speak to whether or not it is advantageous in the treatment of chronic illness which may be due to a whole other world of imbalances or even pathogens.

Example: anemia and low iron levels are found in chronic disease; however, increasing the iron levels will not cure the disease and may make it worse. It is not a cause but rather a result of the disease process. Quick fixes almost never work. No one wishes they did more than I do. :sad:

I completely agree. Sadly, in the majority of these cases, Doctors don't have a clue and generally make things worse by treating symptoms. There are many processes out of whack and needing to be brought into balance at the same time in order to see marked improvement. Overcoming a disabling "CFS" by recommending tests and treatments for myself (after M.D.s had their chance for 6 years and made a lot of money for the drug industry, worsening my problems) is how I came to my knowledge.

If you feel comfy “regulating” your hormones or your immune response, then by all means, supplement away. And if you are comfy taking the advice of the Center for Occupational & Environmental Medicine, then rest assured in your choice.
Well, those of us with Diabetes, thyroid and adrenal disorders and endocrine disorders (which are often diagnosed as fobromyalgia, CFS and auto-immune disorders) would be disabled or dead if we did not regulate or supplement hormones, so I guess we have to feel comfortable with it.

This thread had no other viewpoint represented, so I put one out there for others who also might have flags go up. There is more out there if you look for it, but mostly it does lean toward supplementation right now. It is a popular bandwagon, but in truth the science behind it is lacking. That is just my opinion. I admit I am not very smart though, and anyone who is more knowledgable and confident than I am will rightly ignore this post.

I really didn't think I was coming across as arguing with you. I am sincerely sorry that I gave that impression. I will look into the information that you have presented.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

LOL, Loved, you are not the one coming across as arguing. This thread is consistently pro vitamin D, making me the one arguing! :tongue_smilie:

It is a drag being your own doctor. I've been doing it for the last 7 years myself. It has been like homeschooling with my hands tied behind my back much of the time. If you have successfully healed yourself then you are way ahead of me, and I am always interested in how people have managed that. Good for you! :lol:

drrind.com and endfatigue.com (the book, actually) have a lot of information on what I have done, if you are interested. After marked improvement from following the advice here, I had electrodermal testing from a Natural Doctor. She was able to take care of my heart problems and insulin levels, both of which had the MDs baffled.

I am not as well as I once was. I was almost totally recovered for about 5 years, then threw myself for a loop with my last pregnancy and some emotional trauma at that time. I am still better off than I was before the natural treatments, though, and I was told to keep up on them, and I haven't. :)

I am sorry that you are suffering. I hope that you can find something that really works for you, or at the very least, find peace.

I agree that in light of your other information, recommending huge doses of Vit D to the general population does seem strange, as it is nearly impossible to get a script for other hormones, even when obviously needed.

The only people I know (including myself) who have had large doses of vitamin D prescribed or recommended have had blood tests. And the reason the blood tests were ordered to begin with were because we had symptoms that suggested that we might have a deficiency. Most people (from what I've read) have a pretty low deficiency requiring some extra time in the sun or perhaps a daily vitamin with vitamin D in it. I doubt this is some great medical conspiracy trying to get us hooked on vitamin D! In fact, my naturopath has been very conscientious about retesting me every 3 or 4 months because vitamin D is not water soluble and will not flush out of your system if you have too much. So please don't take it without having a blood test first to see if you need it. And don't take it without medical supervision.

As with all my medical treatment, I took the time to research the supplement, the symptoms etc. before agreeing to the treatment. I applaud the fact that you are doing the same.

Thanks for the links, Loved. It is quite a blessing to get back on track with health. I’m glad you have found relief, especially since you are busy with your children. Homeschooling is challenging enough under the best of circumstances! The most I can say is that I am doing much better than I might be expected to do. That is good, but I do wish it could be better. :001_huh: Fortunately my homeschooling career is reaching an end, and it is managable that way now!

Jean, I don’t think there is any big conspiracy, and I tried not to imply that. There is money (actually quite a lot of money) to be made in testing and supplementation. No doubt most doctors are working hard and in good faith. Medicine is often forced to put into action theories that are not fully formed. It is the nature of trying to fix problems that are in the here and now. That’s okay. Risks have to be taken. We just do the best we can to balance risk and benefit, right?

I hope more research is done honestly and openly. Right now I sense an atmosphere that is less than open to alternative hypotheses. Often times it is 10 years down the line we see that it was all hype, and the people who stood to benefit have already cashed in. To me, that is not a conspiracy just business operating the way it does.

Definitely have your levels taken (labs are currently backlogged by the flood of D testing) and supplement with care, especially for children.

http://www.mgwater.com/vitamin_d.shtml

Good health to everyone!

Actually, more money is made on drugs than vitamins, and Vit. D is very inexpensive.

Many people are on expensive prescriptions and/ or having surgeries when what they really need is a supplement with the B-Vitamin that they are missing. I was on $700 a month nerve script and after following the advice in endfatigue.com I ended up with $14 a month on amino acids and another $14 a month on Vit B-12 shots.

Actually, more money is made on drugs than vitamins, and Vit. D is very inexpensive.

Are you sure about that? Because drug companies can't put their drugs in food and essentially force everyone to buy it even if they don't want it. And as I said before, there is reason to believe that vitamin D is not even a vitamin. But setting that argument aside for the moment...

Consider this if you think there is not much money involved:

If I had a penny for every gallon of milk sold in the US - I don't care how much they are making on Viagra - I would still take it. Wouldn't you? Because if you sold 150 million gallons of milk in a year, you would make a cool $150 million. (I had to keep looking at that figure because it is such a great deal - why can't I find a way to do that just for one year?) Do you think we sell that much milk? Far, far more. And what about cereal, and breakfast bars, and fruit juice which all add D these days. Rice milk and soy milk are on board now, too, and I expect more foods to use this "cheap" supplement since it will be great marketing. And then there are the actual supplements which are flying off the shelves.

And is there a down side? Because there is for drug companies. Sometimes their medications, which are subject to intense (if not intense enough) scrutiny, will wind them up in legal battles. How many people will ever sue the Vitamin D Council for dumping so much D into the food supply? Not much down side, just lots and lots of money to rake in.

Do you think that kind of money can influence research? Look at the HFCS issue if you wonder, because that is a good example. It has been added to all our foods whether it is good for us or not. The problem is that where this much money is involved, it gets hard to get to the truth and to the real science. At least is seems that way to me.

My doc recommended I take 50,000 iu pill once a week for 3 months and then have my blood work redone.

Does this sound like a good idea? I don't even know where to get a 50,000 iu of Vitamin D. Maybe it is a prescription.

I've been trying to let a little sun on my skin in the last few days. I've been a slave to sunscreen for the last 20 some years.

I have read that you should always take V D with calcium to help your body absorb it.

Just something to think about.

I have read that you should always take V D with calcium to help your body absorb it.

The reason Calcium is sold with Vit D in it is because the CALCIUM absorbs better with the vit D, not the other way around.

Most people (from what I've read) have a pretty low deficiency requiring some extra time in the sun or perhaps a daily vitamin with vitamin D in it.

Right. If you live in Texas but hole up in the house all day, sit outside and enjoy the kids playing for a few minutes per day. If you live up north, be mindful ALL the time and get a few extra rays when you can.

But let's be realistic: if a person, after supplementation, has a Vit D level (and symptoms) of 20 when they live in Texas, take daily walks, mow their own acre, tends their flowers, takes their kids to parks, sits outside chatting with hubby, etc...it just isn't very likely that more sun is going to happen or going to work. Well, and add that the first round of mega-dosing and daily supplementation ALSO wasn't enough, it's even less likely.

So I'll take my mega-dosages and my daily supplements and HOPE that I can get a decent level this next time....and that it makes a big difference for me in terms of fatigue and weakness.

Edited by 2J5M9K

The only people I know (including myself) who have had large doses of vitamin D prescribed or recommended have had blood tests. And the reason the blood tests were ordered to begin with were because we had symptoms that suggested that we might have a deficiency.

Or are in a high risk group. I am a non-fish eater, a sunscreen wearer (I don't tan, I burn and peel), currently inside a lot as I'm in a bookish phase of life, overweight person living in a very cloudy environment. I take Vit D and I am **not** a vitamin taker. I do not consider the dose I take toxic, and have not bothered to get levels. I believe my ancestors got a whole heck of a lot more sun exposure than I do.

This is a rather calm discussion of the Vit D research:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

But let's be realistic: if a person, after supplementation, has a Vit D level (and symptoms) of 20 when they live in Texas, take daily walks, mow their own acre, tends their flowers, takes their kids to parks, sits outside chatting with hubby, etc...it just isn't very likely that more sun is going to happen or going to work. Well, and add that the first round of mega-dosing and daily supplementation ALSO wasn't enough, it's even less likely.

So I'll take my mega-dosages and my daily supplements and HOPE that I can get a decent level this next time....and that it makes a big difference for me in terms of fatigue and weakness.

Pamela, I recently took my 3 yr old to an endocrinologist for unrelated reasons and she saw some of her old test results and mentioned that people who don't metabolize fats (good fats, not just junky fats) b/c their pancreas doesn't produce enough enzymes will also have trouble assimilating Vit D b/c it's fat soluble. Any chance you could have an enzyme production problem? You can take digestive enzymes OTC and maybe boost your body's ability to metabolize the D you do get...

Are you sure about that? Because drug companies can't put their drugs in food and essentially force everyone to buy it even if they don't want it. And as I said before, there is reason to believe that vitamin D is not even a vitamin. But setting that argument aside for the moment...

Consider this if you think there is not much money involved:

If I had a penny for every gallon of milk sold in the US - I don't care how much they are making on Viagra - I would still take it. And is there a down side? Because there is for drug companies. Sometimes their medications, which are subject to intense (if not intense enough) scrutiny, will wind them up in legal battles. How many people will ever sue the Vitamin D Council for dumping so much D into the food supply? Not much down side, just lots and lots of money to rake in.

When a food additive or drug is released it is patented, making millions for the patent-holder. It is also approved by the FDA... making millions for the FDA. Vitamins are not patented. They are not regulated by the FDA.

Your argument sounds good, but as far as I know, in contrast to food additives and drugs, there is no organization getting profits for every sale of a vitamin. I have been told that is why it is so hard to get doctors to test for and recommend vitamins. I know. I had B12 deficiency that was causing disabling pain for years and I had to find a Dr. who would treat the deficiency with an inexpensive vitamin rather than throwing expensive patented drugs (which at least three organizations get throw-backs for) at the symptoms. I have also been told by health professionals that the recommended daily allowance of almost every vitamin is a lot lower than it should be.

Do you have any evidence of this speculative Vitamin-D money-making scheme?