Menu

If you own lots of movies, where do you store them?

We are in need of a new storage solution for our dvds and videos. We have quite a few, I'd say maybe 50 dvds, and 30 videos? Our old standing shelf which held those literally collapsed today, and considering that it had served us well for 14 years, and a previous owner before that, we decided it had lived a full life and put it out to pasture. Now we have a much neater, tidier looking living room, but unfortunately I'm not loving the boxes of movies that are now stacked in my bedroom. So we need something new. They need to be stored in the living room.

Anyone storing a good number of movies in a small space? How are you doing it?

I have a few giant CD binder's. I divide them up into 4 binders, one for adult movies, one for kids movies, one for TV series, and one for music CD's. I have a lot still in cases that we've got recently, but especially when I was in the military and short on space I needed to keep them in a small space and easy to travel with.

We kept ours in CD binders like these. Within the notebook they are divided by cartoons, tv shows, theater movies, comedies, dramas, etc. The only trick is getting people to put them back in the right slot. It took me a day or two to get over the need to keep the cases but when I saw how much room they take up (an outdoor trashcan full!) and couldn't figure out why I needed to keep them (other than some OCD need to keep the 'original' case :glare:) I tossed them and never looked back.

We keep our grown-up dvds on two shelves above the main living area computer. It is a book shelf and they are shelved just like books.

Our TV Cabinet has doors on the bottom and we have 4 plastic storage boxes (the kind that are like 11" wide, 15" long and 6" deep) filled with kids dvds and a few videos that we can't bear to part with! We keep them standing up so they are not stacked on each other. Every now and then we organize them - usually Disney and then everything else, though we have also tried doing it alphabetically.

We've done this with CDs and computer games, but while I would be willing to do the same for movies, dh would not go for the binder system with movies. He's a very visual person (an artist), and he cares too much about the way the dvd covers look to throw them away. I wish, though, because that would be a great solution!

I have TWO tall Ikea bookshelves in the living room. One if FULL of DVDs = have over 400 - the other is (for now) mostly books...and some DVDs that have crept over. All the videos (about the same number) are either in my son with autism's room (all the kid videos ) or my room (my old movies!). We get about one or two new DVDs a month (cheaper than taking a family of six to to the movies!) and kids get one or two for b'days AND we average about 20 new ones at Christmas.

The Ikea bookshelves are a kind where you buy the side rails in unfinished wood, and has many shelves as you need, and put it all together to have four, five, six, seven - as many shelves as you need (limited only by the height of what you need to put on the shelves.) I stained the wood to match our living room furniture before putting it all together and it looks nice.

Our DVDs are sorted by type - all the "not for kid" movies like Matrix, Clint Eastwood stuff, Monty Python (risque), Hitchcock's Psycho etc are on the topmost shelf. then we have a shelf with Star Wars and other sci-fi or action films, another with LOTR and fantasy/superheros, a shelf with comedy, another with "chick flicks" (Mr. Darcy lives here, along with Bollywood, etc.) and a shelf of animation. Silent films, documentaries, and TV show sets live ont he bottom shelf. WWII-related films, from fiction (Downfall, Pearl harbor, etc.) to documentaries (Capra's Why We Fight series, World at War from Thames tv, etc.) have sneaked over to the other bookshelf in the room, to live amidst the book for that time period. When I need more space for DVDs on the main DVD shelves (which are almost full) I shall migrate Gettysburg, The Patriot, etc. over to the appropriate place amidst the history books, too.

(Doesn't everyone have a tall bookshelf full of history books in their living room?;))

Erica in PA - your husband is correct. I applaud him. I mean - would you rip the binding off a hardback book to save space???? The idea of discarding the DVD covers and sticking DVDs in binders CREEPS ME OUT!!!!! AAArgh!!!!!!

Edited by JFSinIL

Right now they are stored in the 400 disk DVD player, boxes in storage.

I'm hoping to move toa computer based system...

My parents have theirs in drawers filed alphabetical. They out grew the changers they had, and this was a better solution for them. THey use something similar to these. I won't tell you how many they have! LOL!! They have moved to mainly a computer based viewing though (for the living room), less "stuff" to keep around :D

Erica in PA - your husband is correct. I applaud him. I mean - would you rip the binding off a hardback book to save space???? The idea of discarding the DVD covers and sticking DVDs in binders CREEPS ME OUT!!!!! AAArgh!!!!!!

It was weird for me at first too. But now it is LIBERATING! I buy a new DVD for my kids and the first thing I do is THROW THE COVER AWAY and put it in the DVD binder. I have so much more room now. Plus, with us moving overseas it is much easier to pack a binder of DVDs than box after box of DVDs just so I can keep some extra plastic?

Would I rip off book covers? No. Instead, I am getting a Kindle and selling my books...talk about travelling light! :D

Right now they are stored in the 400 disk DVD player, boxes in storage.

I'm hoping to move toa computer based system...

My parents have theirs in drawers filed alphabetical. They out grew the changers they had, and this was a better solution for them. THey use something similar to these. I won't tell you how many they have! LOL!! They have moved to mainly a computer based viewing though (for the living room), less "stuff" to keep around :D

We have a media PC. DH has put ALL of our dvd's onto the harddrive. I don't know where the actual DVDs are, I think most of them went to Goodwill. This has been great for us, as there is nothing to store! And I will tell you right now, don't ask me about the media PC. I can barely turn it on, let alone explain it to anybody. Oh, I do know that it also stores recorded TV shows (Magic Schoolbus, Sid the Science Kid, House, CSI, etc.) :D

We have a media cabinet in our family room in the basement that holds hundreds of movies. We also have a five-shelf bookshelf that holds the kid's VHS movies. We have a TV cabinet with doors in my bedroom that has shelves under the TV (behind closed doors) that hold movies that are mine and dh's. We have a flat screen in our living room above the fireplace, so there is usually recently watched movies stacked on the mantle.

I'm sure it would be freeing to throw cases away and keep them in binders, but I don't think I could do that!

We have a media PC. DH has put ALL of our dvd's onto the harddrive. I don't know where the actual DVDs are, I think most of them went to Goodwill. This has been great for us, as there is nothing to store! And I will tell you right now, don't ask me about the media PC. I can barely turn it on, let alone explain it to anybody. Oh, I do know that it also stores recorded TV shows (Magic Schoolbus, Sid the Science Kid, House, CSI, etc.) :D

Yup - i'm planning on saving up for an AppleTV - and storing them "behind the scenes". I didn't allow us to move VHS tapes either - and i do NOT like the stack of them that STBXH got from his boss for the kids. UGH. NO NO NO..... oh, hey, HE can have those in the divorce! LOL!!

BUT, i could never get rid of the actual DVD - once you do that, technically... you lose the right to keep a copy of it... and i'm anal about having backups of stuff! LOL!! I"ll just store them on spindles. 100 don't take up much room that way :D

I use binders that hold over 100 cds each. I have one for kids movies, one for movies for adults, one for software, and one for music. So much easier, portable (great for trips) and little storage space needed. I throw away the cases. We don't even have a VHS anymore, I gave the tapes away.