Menu

For those who selectively vaccinate their dc, which ones do you pick?

Just curious about which vaccines you would selectively decide for your dc to take.

My reason for asking.....I have previously accepted all vaccines for my dc, but now that I live in Texas- I have turned down the Hepititis A vaccine and the doctor will not treat/see my dc anymore- I also know that I don't ever want the HPV vaccine for my daughters! I have found a new doctor (after lots, and lots of searching) but we haven't seen her yet. Our first appt if for my daughter's well child check-up when she turns 5 in a few weeks. I know that she is "due" to get lots of shots and I am trying to decide which ones are really necessary. So, which ones do you pick- if you choose to vaccinate selectively?

Thanks for your response.

Susan

I am really glad that you added a question about delaying the vaccines!

Please let us know if you choose to accept or decline specific vaccines and if you delay when your children get vaccinated. I realize this is a very personal decision and I appreciate any insight into your decisions. I have researched vaccines on the internet but I don't think that it is a "fair & balanced" reflection of this topic. Thank you again for anything you can share with me.

Susan

I have followed the vaccination debate for several yrs. It is not an easy question for me. I lived in Brazil for several yrs and there were outbreaks of measles where children were dying. (I actually had my 9 mo vaccinated for measles during the outbreak) Here protection comes from the fact that the majority are vaccinated. If we had lived in the 50s when so many were debilitated by polio, I think others might (maybe/maybe not???) find it an equally difficult decision to not vaccinate.

Anyway, I don't allow any vaccinations prior to 6 mos. There is no need to. They are immune by mother's antibodies until that point.

I give one vaccine every few months. (only 1 at a time) We start off with the DTaP. Then we cycle through IPV and HIB. We don't do any HepB, varicella, or any of the other "newer" vaccines. They get their first MMR over the age of 2 (our current 2 yr old had hers at 2 1/2).

We don't do follow-up vaccines until sometime during age 6. If you read the pediatric guidelines, they say ages 4-6. So, sometime approaching age 7, I do get all their boosters at one time (I do it all at once at this age b/c psychologically I don't want to torment them with staggered shots and I have never read anything that says anything about older children having the same sort of reactions as the possibilities with younger children.)

That is how we have handled it. My philosophy is to protect against the truly debilitating/deadly diseases.....tetanus, polio, measles are the main ones I worry about.

A great book I'm reading that gives a good schedule is called, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell you About Childhood Vaccinations". It addresses all of these questions and what you can do about it.

I would like to pick up another book about this to kind of balance out the advice and feel like I'm making an informed decision though. Also, this book was copyrighted in 2001. A lot has changed since then, so a more recent book would be nice too.

As it stands though, this is a good starter book.

I think the better question for *me* is why I choose not to give the ones I don't give. I weigh risk v. possible benefit.

First up, Hepatitis B. It's a blood-borne disease that transmitted much in the same way that HIV is transmitted. I don't think this is something we should be vaccinating infants against.

We don't do the Pneumococcal vaccine. *Most* of the people who die from this disease are elderly. Most children who get this disease are in daycare. My children are homeschooled and breastfed until the age of 2 1/2. Their risk factors from acquiring the disease and/or facing lasting harm are low.

Varicella-I'd rather they get chicken pox on their own and acquire a natural immunity that will last. The chicken pox vaccine must be re-administered even when they are older and I'm not convinced doctors will be following this closely enough. However, my oldest is 12 and hasn't had chicken pox so we're vaccinating her for this next week.

We delay the MMR until after 2.

Interesting point regarding MMR-I was immunized as a child, had a booster at 15, have been given the vaccination after each of my births and I still don't test immune to Rubella.

When my ds got his first MMR shot he got a high fever and had his first and only febrile seizure, so I've always been nervous about that one. (He didn't have any problem with the second shot.) At some point, they lowered the age for getting the second MMR, and that's the one I've chosen to delay with my younger dd. She's 10 and I've been putting off the second shot for awhile. The doctor asked again about the MMR at her check-up last Fall. I asked her if she could do a blood test to see if we could wait on this shot. The test is supposed to show if she's underimmunized for MMR, and apparently she isn't because based on the test results our dr. was satisfied that she could still wait awhile.

My dc have had the other recommended shots, except for Hep.A (?). Our doctor said that since we don't eat out much and aren't traveling to third world countries that she would be okay with us skipping that one. Our doctor hasn't mentioned the shot for girls yet. I don't think my dd will get that one, but I'll wait and hear what our doctor has to say before making any final decision.

we started later in infancy (6-9 months) with the ones we did vaccinate, and 2 we didn't vaccinate at all until last year (with the exception of a tetanus shot ds had when he cut his leg open with a box cutter and needed stitches).

If I were to do it now, I would probably vaccinate against meningitis for sure, and I'd do DT's (no pertussis). I doubt I would give the MMR, at least not until the early teen years (it is one of the ones with major controversy over the autism link and I would avoid it).

I definitely wouldn't give Hepatitis, flu, pneumonia, chicken pox or the HPV shot. I may be missing some others that I don't know about, but I wouldn't give any of them.

This is my 2 cents.

Also, let me include that I am pro-breastfeeding until toddlerhood for SURE (or longer), and know that adds protection against many things, as well as promoting the strongest immune system possible and I know that has helped my kids.

I have 4 kids; 18, 16, 14 and 12. Oldest had antibiotics once for an abcessed tooth, second had one once (just before Christmas) for a UTI, 3rd dd has has them 3 times (2 for abcesses and 1 for strep) and ds had one when he was bitten by a brown recluse at the age of 2. None have ever had an ear infection. Only one has ever had strep (and that was last year). None have had the full-blown flu, and when they have stomach viruses, they usually don't last more than a day.

All in all, I feel that we are pretty healthy, and since they are around people a good bit (2 oldest girls have jobs where they are around the public and oldest goes to college too), I have to attribute this to their immune systems.

A great book I'm reading that gives a good schedule is called, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell you About Childhood Vaccinations". It addresses all of these questions and what you can do about it.

I would like to pick up another book about this to kind of balance out the advice and feel like I'm making an informed decision though. Also, this book was copyrighted in 2001. A lot has changed since then, so a more recent book would be nice too.

A good book on "the other side" is Vaccinated by Arthur Allen. http://www.amazon.com/Vaccine-Controversial-Medicines-Greatest-Lifesaver/dp/0393331563/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204222931&sr=8-2. It's definitely pro-vaccine but I think did a good job of relating some of the problems with vaccines in the past and things the medical community has done poorly with vaccines. You may find his discussion of those who don't vaccinate annoying but I think it would provide a different viewpoint if you're looking for that.

I'm a pediatrician so I get all the vaccines for my kids. But Hep A is one I consider optional. Many of our patients choose not to get it and some of the docs didn't get it for their kids. I got it for mine because it has few side effects and we're very likely to travel overseas someday. (That said, we've had several outbreaks in the area from Hep A, including one from a produce clerk in one of the local grocery stores so now people are coming in asking for it.)

As pediatricians we feel pretty passionately about vaccines. But I would never refuse to see a patient who didn't vaccinate. I can disagree with a patient/parent's opinion but still provide them with care and respect them.

If your daughter is going to be 5, most of the scheduled vaccines are boosters, assuming she is up-to-date at this point. They ususally get DTaP, IPV (polio), MMR, and now a Varicella booster is recommended. Hep A is also recommended if not given yet, but even most schools aren't requiring it.

Some vaccine books:

The Vaccine Book, by Dr Sears

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccines, by Dr Stephanie Cave (Janna just mentioned)

I've read the 2nd and am currently reading the first. Neither is anti-vaccine, but they both suggest spacing out the shots. Both have their own recommended shots and schedules. There are a few that Sears skips altogether.

I'm awaiting my copy of The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears...you may want to check that one out! He's not anti-vaccine, but supports separated and (some) delayed vaccinations. He gives a schedule as well and it seems like there is a lot of information about the diseases and vaccines themselves to help you make the right choice for your family.

As to the original post(s): We delay all vaccinations until after 2 and, due to periods (like now!) of no health insurance, get our children select vaccinations slowly over a pretty long period of time when we can. We are only giving the chicken pox vaccine to our dc 12 or 13 and older who haven't had it yet--none of them have! :o NO HPV vacc. for our daughters.

I never intended to be so unorganized about this whole thing but our lives have had some major financial ups and downs, periods of no work, etc. and vaccinations are just not a high priority when we're unsettled. Sad, but true. Our children are rarely sick and we avoid the doctor's office (and definitely the free clinics/health dept.) like the plague. LOL

PS A quick note on Hep B: my older brother died of Hep B when he was 8 months old. He had no known risk factors; it was really completely out-of-the-blue. We still choose not to do this immunization (it's a long discussion), but we do it knowing that wildly improbable doesn't mean it won't happen - which is true of side effects as well as diseases.

This is an excellent point. I hate the vaccination debates that wind up with "you're shooting your child full of poison!" v. "you're going to feel horrible when your child gets sick and dies and you could have prevented it!" I don't think there is an easy answer. That's why I spoke to risk v. benefits. There is risk on both sides and I understand why people on every side think as they do.

Anyway, I don't allow any vaccinations prior to 6 mos. There is no need to. They are immune by mother's antibodies until that point.

I give one vaccine every few months. (only 1 at a time) We start off with the DTaP. Then we cycle through IPV and HIB. We don't do any HepB, varicella, or any of the other "newer" vaccines. They get their first MMR over the age of 2 (our current 2 yr old had hers at 2 1/2).

This is exactly how we did it too.

I think this sounds like a good plan. If there is any history of weird reactions to measles or chicken pox in your family, Sue, I think you should be especially careful of having multiple vaccinations given at the same time - although I think all folks should be leary of this, anyway. And I think you should always refuse vaccinations when a child is still recovering from illness or is on antibiotics.

Regena

I agree! And my own children are fully vaccinated, because I've only recently begun to learn about the possible problems with vaccines. Even with all the info on problems that I'm reading, I don't think it's the vaccine, itself, that is the problem in most cases, but the fixative and perhaps also the loading up of too many vaccines at too young an age, under less than ideal conditions (such as illness or while taking antibiotics, etc.). I think that it is certainly possible to make changes to vaccine scheduling and remove thimerasol and produce a better result for all.

Regena

Also, I never allowed DD to have more than 2 shots at a time. The normal number for children of kindergarten age was 5, and so we spread them out. (Nurse: "You can't do that!" Me: (big warm smile) "But, really, we will be back for the rest." Nurse: "NOBODY does this!" Me: (gently) "Well, I just think this is best for our family."

I define serious more tightly than most others on this thread, but respect differences about this. One of of the things that convinced me to vaccinate against 'childhood' diseases is reading "And the Ladies of the Club", which described the course of some illnesses with which I was not familiar, such as diptheria.

We never use a new vaccine until it has been in common use for at least 3 years.

I don't take DD for flu shots. She has not had the pneuma vacc. She did have the chicken pox shot, but not until she was 5. By then we had tried several times to get her exposed to it naturally and failed. We have refused the new gen. warts shot twice. (They do keep asking.) It is too new.

I never ever accept shots when DD has a cold or even an active allergy. I figure that her immune system is already a bit compromised at that point, and so a poor reaction to the shot is just that much more likely.

We have a high liklihood of tetanus here as DD loves the outdoors, and also pertussis would be serious for her as she has a history of asthma (mostly outgrown, but I don't want her to further compromise her lungs.) Also, many in homeschooling circles here do not vaccinate, so pertussis is not uncommon among our friends. It's not usually life threatening for an older child, but the coughing spells recur and recur over and over for children who have had it, so we thought that that vaccine was important for us. So we have considered those illnesses to be both likely and serious for DD. I only accepted the measles shot because it was bundled with rubella, which I'm not willing to risk.

Just curious about which vaccines you would selectively decide for your dc to take. So, which ones do you pick- if you choose to vaccinate selectively?

Thanks for your response. Susan

They would not get: Influenza, Pneumococcal, varicella, HPV, Meningococcal or Hepatitis A shot. There are so many to look at, it will take me a while.

I am very surprised at the new schedules! I hadn't looked at one for about 4 years now.

0-6 years

7-18 years

Adult

Catch up Schedule

I am currently struggling with what I will do for vaccines for my older children in the future, but I just have to chime in on one thing. It absolutely makes my blood boil when I hear stories about doctors refusing to see or treat patients because they refuse or delay vaccines. To those of you who have had it happen, is there an argument with the doctor? Do they order you out of the office? Tell you never to come back? I can't even imagine. the arrogance and chutzpa of that is unbelievable, and if a doctor ever does that to me, well, they better be ready for an earful! Same with nurses saying you 'can't' do this or that or no one ever does x,y or z. What right do they have to comment on your choices and decisions?

My first two children got all their vaccines on schedule, before I was older and wiser and realized there could be a reason to space them out or wait longer. My youngest three children didn't get any vaccines until they were older than 1, when the blood-brain barrier is fully in place (infants don't have this yet, to protect the brain from the harmful effects of immunizations). I would have chosen no immunizations at all, but dh worries about the boys and mumps (which can cause sterilization), so they get the MMR after age 3, and on my schedule, not the Dr's.

We don't get pnuemonia or flu shots, because I believe they are a guessing game as to which strain is going to hit, and we delay varicella until they are 10, if they haven't gotten chicken pox already. I got all my shots on time as a child, and still tested non-immune to Rubella after having three of my children. It took three extra boosters to give me Rubella immunity, and that was after one of my dc actually got the virus! My girls will NOT get HPV.

If I had to do it over I wouldn't get the DTAP or the MMR at the scheduled time. I woud delay it. Also the same with HEP. I would delay it to about 5 yrs old and then start.

chicken pox vac's are out!! NADA! No pneumonia or flu shots either. Also no HPV, Meningococcal either.

I am not sure what else is out there.

This is on top of my head right now. Also I will not allow more than 1 shot at one visit. The office do not like it but how will I know what the reaction is if there is one. kwim?

Holly

About the article. "Mothers who have had measles, mumps, and chickenpox transfer antibodies against them to their babies in utero, which protect them during the first year of life from contracting these infections." Is this really true?

I think they do transfer antibodies but I don't think that means a baby "can't" get these diseases at all in the first year. That doesn't sound right to me. Hmm.

We don't vax at all but a friend follows this schedule.

About the article. "Mothers who have had measles, mumps, and chickenpox transfer antibodies against them to their babies in utero, which protect them during the first year of life from contracting these infections." Is this really true?

Maternal antibody drops off quickly after 6 months- by age one year, only about 10% have antibodies to measles, and about 5% have antibody to mumps or rubella. It drops off even faster for chickenpox; less than 40% have antibody at 6 months, and 0% at one year. So no, it's not true.