Menu

I am so furious!

I recently sold some used Sonlight books to a person. I gave them the option to have it shipped however they liked. They requested media mail and didn't take the insurance. Out of caution (and because of the price) I paid for delivery confirmation and insurance ( I know I should have charged her for it but I didn't). It has been less than 13 working days and she has decided she is done with waiting and filed a claim with Paypal. Paypal has withdrawn the entire amount from my account. It is in a dispute status and until it is resolved they are holding the money. I have submitted proof of shipment via receipts and tracking numbers to Paypal and pointed out that the USPS policy is not to file a claim until after it has been 21 days. I understand she is afraid of getting taken but I have responded quickly to every email from her and even given her my home number. She has lied to Paypal telling them the package has not left yet. What am I to do? :confused:

I can't believe she would do that! I can't believe PayPal would take the money out! I'm sorry that happened! People need to realize that if they are not willing to pay for Priority mail, media mail CAN TAKE A LONG TIME! I don't believe in suing others, but if I did, I'd feel like taking her to court for defamation of character among other things! Good Grief!!!

She has lied to Paypal telling them the package has not left yet. What am I to do? :confused:

Why did she say that? What does the USPS message say when you type in the DC number? Can you copy and paste that message to your Paypal dispute? I have noticed sometimes when you get insurance the DC information doesn't track the same as it does when you don't buy insurance.

Man that stinks!! But the evidence is clearly on your side. I think when the package arrives at her house she might be willing to call off the Pay Pal dogs, but either way, you have proof that you sent it and you will have proof of delivery when she receives it. It seems pretty cut and dry to me. I'm sure you'll get your money back once the person assigned to your case views all the facts. :)

I would call Paypal now and get all of my ducks in the row. I would question them as to what happens when you have proof from your DC that the package has actually arrived. I would also go to http://www.usps.com and see exactly where the package is and give this info to paypal. Also tell them how long media mail may take to arrive at its destination. I have had packages take up to 20days to be delivered to northern states because I am in South Texas.

So sad she has over reacted and hasn't given the package the appropriate to arrive.

Good luck!

Cindy

Definitely call PayPal. Don't do the email thing, as it takes too long. If you get a real person on the phone, they can look up your case and see what's going on.

Be very nice to the PayPal reps, as they can be of great help to you in getting this resolved. I think many people call them with nasty attitudes, as when you're polite and pleasant, they seem to really appreciate it.

Please let us know what happens.

Cat

There are two different forms of delivery confirmation, and one sometimes provides more information en route than the other. One is when you buy it at the post office, and it is a sticker and costs 60c. That one (always) ONLY provides delivery confirmation, i.e. it says absolutely NOTHING until the item is delivered, or at least that's how it seems to me. The other sort is the electronic one that you can get from the USPS website or by shipping through Paypal (where you would be paying 18c for media mail). That one can sometimes show information as the package moves through the system. At any rate, Paypal takes a while to decide these things, so it may be to your advantage to draw out the process in the hopes that the package will be delivered.

My husband once had a claim by someone where the delivery confirmation SHOWED it was delivered, and Paypal still decided against him! (The person eventually agreed to pay again, by check.)

I called Paypal and they are "holding" the funds. I gave them the tracking number, insurance number and a copy of the receipt that shows the date, time, and weight of the package along with the zipcode. I also faxed them the USPS regulations for media mail and the time frame for filing a claim. However they are still holding the funds. I don't understand what else I can do to prove I am in the right. In her statement she says first she didn't receive them and then they were damaged. How can it be both? She also says it hasn't left the post office yet. I bought delivery confirmation. I should have paid extra for the one that tracks it every step of the way. This just tells you it has left and that it has been delivered. It has been a big learning curve for me. While the people at Paypal have been very nice I am not happy with the fact that I was told they always side with the buyer. At this point I am over the whole thing. She may get away with getting the books and the money, but at least I know I did the right thing.

I recently sold some used Sonlight books ...It has been less than 13 working days and she has decided she is done with waiting and filed a claim with Paypal. Paypal has withdrawn the entire amount from my account....

I HATE PayPal!

They screwed me in much the same way. Good luck trying to get in touch with anyone from PayPal.

I never got either my money back or my book back. (Plus, I paid for the shipping twice: Once when I paid for the mailing label, and again when they took the price of the book + shipping out of my account.) After that experience, I decided it would be cheaper to throw my books away when I was done with them.

I'll never sell anything with PayPal again. I don't mind buying with PayPal, but I'll never sell anything with them.

Grrr!!!

I called Paypal and they are "holding" the funds. I gave them the tracking number, insurance number and a copy of the receipt that shows the date, time, and weight of the package along with the zipcode. I also faxed them the USPS regulations for media mail and the time frame for filing a claim. However they are still holding the funds. I don't understand what else I can do to prove I am in the right. In her statement she says first she didn't receive them and then they were damaged. How can it be both? She also says it hasn't left the post office yet. I bought delivery confirmation. I should have paid extra for the one that tracks it every step of the way. This just tells you it has left and that it has been delivered. It has been a big learning curve for me. While the people at Paypal have been very nice I am not happy with the fact that I was told they always side with the buyer. At this point I am over the whole thing. She may get away with getting the books and the money, but at least I know I did the right thing.

She is giving two different stories? And how can she say it has not left the post office, if she said it was damaged? You can check that with your Delivery Confirmation number. I may be wrong, but I am not aware of a service offered by USPS, other than Delivery Confirmation, that tracks a package every step of the way.

I was scammed around this time last year. I did a little research on the woman and found out she had been scamming people the previous year around this time as well.

She is giving two different stories? And how can she say it has not left the post office, if she said it was damaged?

:iagree: I don't get it!

As a buyer, I filed a claim once with paypal and, though they sided with me, the money was not in the sellers account and I got SQUAT! She later (4 MONTHS later) apologized and refunded my $, but paypal won't do anything unless you keep the money in the account. I always collect and withdrawal to make sure things like this do NOT happen. I am so sorry!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95680

You have another thread about lost books. In the thread above, insurance wasn't purchased. It's pretty strange that you have two incidents so close to each other. ?????

I think both threads are about the same box of books. The one linked above was posted on 4/21. This thread was posted on 4/23. My guess is that in the first thread, the buyer was merely complaining; but now the buyer has filed the dispute with PayPal.

However, I always like to see sleuthing!

It says that until it's delivered.

It really depends. Media mail is not scanned at each location, but there are times that it is scanned. In fact, I rarely get a "no information" on any shipment -- it is at least scanned on the first receipt of it.

In my experience, the sticker type ones NEVER have information until delivery, but the electronic ones often do. AND the electronic ones say "The post office has been notified to expect this item for mailing on this date" or something like that, whereas the sticker ones say "No information."

This does stink. I am betting though it will arrive soon. Unfortunately she is being a bear and there isn't much you can do about it. I suppose when the books arrive she may feel a bit silly for being so impatient. Media mail is slow from what I have found. I hope you get this resolved as soon as possible. Sounds like did everything right in getting the insurance and confirmation. That was a good move. Good luck.:grouphug:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95680

You have another thread about lost books. In the thread above, insurance wasn't purchased. It's pretty strange that you have two incidents so close to each other. ?????

If you read further I later said I was the seller and that I purchased the insurance out of my own pocket because I was afraid of something going wrong.

I get the "We received this package into our system" notice, but never anything after that until delivery. At least with UPS I can type in the tracking number and find out where it is on a given day. I've tried that with USPS at least a dozen times and it has never, ever, ever worked. Their tracking numbers are a waste of money. The "We received the package" thing is just worthless, especially since the shipper usually sends out an email that they just shipped the package.

I get the "We received this package into our system" notice, but never anything after that until delivery. At least with UPS I can type in the tracking number and find out where it is on a given day. I've tried that with USPS at least a dozen times and it has never, ever, ever worked. Their tracking numbers are a waste of money. The "We received the package" thing is just worthless, especially since the shipper usually sends out an email that they just shipped the package.

The USPS is actually not obligated to scan the items at all with delivery confirmation. They do not offer a "tracking" service like UPS. It's only a confirmation of the delivery of the item, thus the term "delivery confirmation."

Since they often scan at certain points, people began thinking of it as "tracking."

Media rate rarely gets the same amount of scanning as other packages. I get about one package a week -- from media rate, to first class, to priority.

I've had great luck with Media Mail/w confirmation # via Pay Pal, (insurance is only ~$2.50 for $100). But if I ship anything worth more than $100, I use UPS. I hope PP fixes this since you have all you need to prove you sent the package.

I just want to add that I recently sold a good bit of my old curriculum, in order to save up for next year's. All bks got to their buyers super quick (within five days) and I had no problems with any of the buyers. We have some super nice folks around here. If you are unsure, talk to them, check out their rating. It's not all bad on the Sale/swap board. :)

In my experience, the sticker type ones NEVER have information until delivery, but the electronic ones often do. AND the electronic ones say "The post office has been notified to expect this item for mailing on this date" or something like that, whereas the sticker ones say "No information."

I just wanted to jump in on the delivery confirmation part of this thread. I recently sold and mailed 4 packages. Three of them I purchased dc at the po so they had the sticker and 1 the dc was purchased through paypal. All 4 of these packages I tracked and there was information on all of them during transit not just after delivery.

I am only posting this because it seems like there are varied experiences with dc. I just wanted to share that my experience has been different than some others that have been posted.

ETA: In case someone didn't know, after you put in the tracking # and the info. comes up there is a button that says additional information. If you click on that you should see more details about the package. This is where I found in transit info. about the packages I sent.

Edited by Deece in MN

ETA: In case someone didn't know, after you put in the tracking # and the info. comes up there is a button that says additional information. If you click on that you should see more details about the package. This is where I found in transit info. about the packages I sent.

Yes, but only if it's in the system. It won't give you more information if it can't "find" the number yet.

Some people are just horrible and deny everything. I observed when a check was mailed via express mail; it was signed for yet the recipient denied receiving it and continued to insist that maybe the post office lost it, despite having proof of who signed for it (the secretary's last name). You'd think that effort would have been better expended improving office mail handling procedures!