Menu

Thyroid ??

I am really confused about thyroid TSH levels and labs. Even after googling, I am still not sure - so any lady experts out there??

My TSH is 7.2. My GP said it was okay - they dont evaluate until over 14. My gyn said they dont evaluate until over 10. THe standards set by AACE say anything over 3 must be evaluated. I cant get to an endocrinologist without a referral from one of the 2 docs mentioned.

I am tired and gaining weight, hair falling out, skin dry, etc., in other words - symptomatic. Should I pursue this?? and if so where do I start?

Oh, and you don't necessarily need an endocrinologist. A general practitioner worth his weight would put you on synthroid or levothyroxin or SOMETHING with a TSH over 3.

Is there another doctor in the practice who you could go to? Also, I would call the practice manager and let them know that one of their docs needs to get on the stick with this. How many other people are getting this wrong advice?

Both docs are WRONG-O!!

Find new doctors. That's my first piece of advice.

A normal TSH is .3 to 3. If your TSH is 7.2, you will be feeling the effects of it (the weight gain, hair loss, dry skin, lethargy, etc.).

Get thee a new doc. ASAP!

:iagree:

My endocrinologist will adjust my synthroid dose for anything over 4. I seem to recall that they went to new guidelines a couple of years ago, but I can't imagine your Drs. not knowing that.

Could it be that maybe they're using a different test/scale?

Have you received a copy of your test results? They'll usually say on the report what the range of nrmal is.

Also, just because your doctors won't refer you doesn't mean that you can't see the endocrinologist. The gatekeeping is just for your insurance. If you call the endo's office and explain that you're coming in independently and will be paying for an appt. and not billing your insurance, they'll usually make an appt.

ETA: I'd probably look for a new Dr. as well. :)

My endocrinologist will adjust my synthroid dose for anything over 4. I seem to recall that they went to new guidelines a couple of years ago, but I can't imagine your Drs. not knowing that.

The old "normal" TSH scale was .5 to 5. They lowered it to .3 to 3 a few years ago.

Some people feel symptoms with a TSH of 3 or 2 or even 1.5! It's so individual, the TSH number is just ONE indicator. How a person feels is a much better indication of how their thyroid is functioning.

Yup, I'm hypo, and anything over .5-5 was the guideline I was dx with. I argued with the Dr that replaced my GP after he moved that I needed another test done. She informed me I'd had one done 2 months prior, and didn't need another. I told her I knew my body better than she did, and I needed another test.

Test came back in the 80s.

I'd absolutely see another Dr. You need to be on medication.

Just agreeing with everyone else. My TSH was "only" in the 7's when I was diagnosed, but I felt AWFUL and could tell something was very wrong. I had positive antibodies and was put on synthroid by my family doctor. You don't need an endo unless you have a doc who is behind the times. I only see and endo when I am pregnant or ttc, otherwise my family doc is great. Oh, and I wouldn't see an OB for thyroid problems.

There are thyroid problems where they will "watch and wait". Sometimes postpartum thyroiditis can get better. Or, you might have some other kind of temporary thyroid inflammation. A friend of mine had this, and she cycled from hypo to hyper (off meds) for a few months then got better. But you would need further tests and an exam to diagnose the problem.

I'm in the middle of a very similar situation myself right now! I think I'll use some of the advice these wonderful ladies have shared.

We love our family doctor but I really feel he missed the mark this time and I've not pushed the issue with him...doctor's know best, right?

The frustration itself is wearing me down let alone the actual physical symptoms.

I hope you have success in balancing your thyroid!

BearLair

My TSH is 7.2. My GP said it was okay - they dont evaluate until over 14. My gyn said they dont evaluate until over 10. THe standards set by AACE say anything over 3 must be evaluated.

My suggestion (if you like your current docs) would be to NOT change docs, but try the squeaky wheel approach: repeat your symptoms (and how distressing and disabling they are) to your doc and ask him if he would consider trying you on a low dose of Synthroid for a limited period of time (say, 3 months), and then following up your TSH (after 6 and 12 wks), and monitoring your symptoms. My guess (as a doc who appreciates reasonable, non-strident requests :001_smile:) would be that he might agree to this. My second guess is that you will feel better, and HE will be convinced and let you stay on the med!

The reason that so many docs don't want to treat what would be classified as "subclinical hypothyroidism" is that the levothyroxine is not necessarily a benign medicine, and there is little-to-no evidence (honest-to-goodness well-designed controlled trials) that treating a TSH at your level would prevent some of the problems that crop up when people are hypothyroid. I would hope that your docs aren't behind-the-times, but rather trying to protect you from the adverse effects of treating.

HTH.

My OB has been my best ally with my thyroid issues. She trusts my feelings about the dosage I need and doesn't insist on tests every 6 weeks like my internist demanded! He would only give me one refill and she would give me a year's worth knowing that I would call her if symptoms required a change. It is essential that you have a doctor that will listen to you. Good luck :grouphug:

Grace,

I am confused. What is subclinical about a TSH of 7 (4 points out of the range of normal) and obvious symptoms? I would think that this would definitely warrant a further look, such as a full thryoid panel, plus thyroid meds and followup blood work?

I was technically subclinical (my TSH was 4.9 back when the range was .5 - 5, that is before it was reduced and I had almost all of the symptoms.) Upon my insistance, my doc did the full panel and discovered that may T3 and T4 were seriously out of whack and that I had antibodies. It did not match what the textbook said about the TSH levels. I have been on meds for 4 years and I have noticed significant improvement. But, I do go back 4 times a year for blood work because my range of normal seems to be much smaller than most people's. Hence, I can go from "hypo" to "hyper" very easily. As a result of being "subclinical" and undiagnosed for about 5 years, my adrenals are messed up and that seems to be much trickier to treat.

Grace,

I am confused. What is subclinical about a TSH of 7?

Hi, Ellen,

Subclinical hypothyroidism is usually just a way of saying that your TSH is higher than normal but your T4 isn't low --- it's usually a precursor to "overt" hypothyroidism (I think about 5-20% of people with it will progress to overt hypothyroidism every year). I agree that the term doesn't really make sense for the patient who DOES have "clinical" symptoms, but ... it's just what it's called! (Maybe the ladies here should come up with a new term for it!)

You're absolutely right that some people's "range" is smaller than the "official laboratory range," and that can be harder to detect, to control, and to manage. I'm sorry that you had to wait for treatment.

Here's a fairly old article (so the numbers for normals, etc., might be wrong) that details some of the issues. OP, even though it's an old article, the Figure (1; the algorithm) might be of some help to your doc in feeling more comfortable about treating you.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/adlin.html

T3 levels are more important than T4. Also many people need T3 which is not in most thyroid medications. T4 is what most of them consist of. Too much T4 can result in cardiac arrest, and still not alleviate the symptoms of someone who cannot process it into T3. There is more information about treating subclinical hypothyroidism at Drrind.com and at endfatigue.com, both sites of medical doctors who have worked with me and my local Dr. (in Fishers, IN) to recover from disabling CFS. I was so bad that I could barely drive and could not safely walk up stairs. I got so much better that I had a job in construction and lost 40 lbs due to the exercise that I was able to do after recovery. Do not let this go. You can find treatment.

I dont know what my T4 level was. In fact, I dont know if they tested T4. I do know the T3 was 32, but I do not know what that means. Once again, I have an information deficit and docs who are not forth coming. It is like I am bothering them - I just want to be informed thank you very much and I am paying for the service.

That is CRAZY. The MOST I've heard is 5.0. I would go to another doctor or at least take in some information. Depending on standards, 0.3-3.0 or .5-5.0 is "normal." The latter is actually old, but some still go by it. ANYTHING over it should be checked out and I wouldn't trust a doctor that didn't know that!

My endocrinologist would consider 7 to be pretty far off. 14 can cause some people to have major issues!

If it is decided that you have a thyroid issue, your endocrinologist would likely want your level to be under 1, but AT LEAST under 3.

I hope you can find a doc to do your referral.

My ND considers everything above 2.0 to be too high & treats for it. Even though my TSH was 1.995 and my T3 & T4 were in the normal range w/ no antibodies present, she is treating me with a small trial dose of Armour, because I have a whole host of hypothyroid symptoms and my thyroid gland is slightly enlarged. I've been on the meds for a week and am starting to feel better.

Please pursue this with someone who will listen to you. It's a shame that anyone should have to live with such debilitating symptoms when there's easy and fairly inexpensive treatment readily available. :grouphug:

Since she never said that her T4 was normal, I didn't automatically assume hers was subclinical. I would think that a TSH over 3 would warrant further investigation, not completely ignoring her symptoms. A later post shows that her T3 is well under the normal range.

I guess I get pretty hot about this because I was told by an endocrinologist of all people that it was in my head and that I needed a shrink (as I showed her my scabbed up knuckles from cracked dry skin, pulled out handfuls of hair, and described my 10 day heavy flow periods, weight gain, 2 cm nodule, and overwhelming fatigue and fogginess.) I cried for hours at the seemingly hopelessness of the situation. I finally found the energy to see another doc who looked at my numbers more closely and decided that I definitely had thyroid deficiencies. I am on message boards with other people who were treated similarly. While it is important to not take thyroid meds indiscriminately, undertreatment is a very serious issue and causes untold suffering. It is hell to feel like you are going crazy and fear that your kids will be taken away and shoved in school because you feel so crummy all the time.

FWIW (and to not repeat)--I would have another word with your doc.

I have had lots of docs just go by the numbers--one thing to keep in mind is that different labs will have slightly different normal ranges. Some labs are also better than others at processing test. Some labs are highly inaccurate.

I did once have a Nurse Practitioner who said there is a bit of art in thyroid management because you need to balance what you are seeing in labs with what you see in the patient with what the patient describes. According to her the patient is usually right. Thyroid is just so slow that you feel horrible before your blood matches your symptoms. Keep in mind that some folks have been known to beg for thyroid med as a weight loss technique-that does make some docs wary.

IMHO time to lean on your doc a bit.

well - a bit of an update. The GP who originally did the labs said they absolutely need to be redone, but he wont do them because of the lady who does the paper work. Can you say military medicine??? These labs are from Nov. NOVEMBER!!!! I have felt terrible all winter. The nurse who received the labs in Nov told the doc they were normal and did not need followup. He never saw them until dh asked him to review them today. He was not happy. But neither would he do anything about it "dont want to ruffle feathers in admin". So, I am supposed to rely on the gyn who doesnt return phone calls.

I guess you guys can tell I am frustrated. I got some thyroid support supplements from the health food store and I feel much better. The nutritionist at the health food store said that since I did feel better on the supplements, it surely means I have a thyroid issue. Does that mean prescription meds?? I dont know. The only folks who know are not in any hurry to help.

Thanks for listening to the rant!!!

You can legally get a 30 day supply of Armour Thyroid and T3 at antiaging-systems.com without a prescription. There is also information to be found on dosing on the same website, as well as the earlier two that I posted. I no longer go to my doc in Fishers for my thyroid because he agrees that labs are useless but I still have to get them and pay for them if he is going to write a prescription, and I have no insurance. We just use the temperature chart.

Just wanted to give you an option.

well - a bit of an update. The GP who originally did the labs said they absolutely need to be redone, but he wont do them because of the lady who does the paper work. Can you say military medicine??? These labs are from Nov. NOVEMBER!!!! I have felt terrible all winter. The nurse who received the labs in Nov told the doc they were normal and did not need followup. He never saw them until dh asked him to review them today. He was not happy. But neither would he do anything about it "dont want to ruffle feathers in admin". So, I am supposed to rely on the gyn who doesnt return phone calls.

I guess you guys can tell I am frustrated. I got some thyroid support supplements from the health food store and I feel much better. The nutritionist at the health food store said that since I did feel better on the supplements, it surely means I have a thyroid issue. Does that mean prescription meds?? I dont know. The only folks who know are not in any hurry to help.

I gave up on my covered Dr. and paid out-of-pocket to see the ND who finally helped me. I found her here: http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/

Another supplement you could try while waiting to get some real help is Iodoral (iodine). (You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WG3FU4/ref=s9_sims_gw_s1_p121_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=119PNK58JESP565FNNAF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846) My friend (who encouraged me not to give up on this issue, as she has experienced similar problems and has been feeling much better with treatment) was prescribed this by her Dr. She takes a much larger dose than I do. It supports thyroid function (T3 has 3 idodine molecules and T4 has 4 :)) and may help you feel better, too. I felt a small difference, but nothing compared to the Armour (30mg/ 1/2 grain).

I'm so frustrated for you! Hang in there, and insist on getting help somehow. :tongue_smilie: I hope you find someone who will listen to you. Maybe your Dr. would prescribe a small trial dose of thyroid meds while you wait to have your labs re-done?

Edited by yslek
needed to add a link

We have run into this as well. I don't know why the military docs are afraid of the nurses!!! I would have your dh follow up and ask for a referral to an endo. You have got to be the squeaky wheel if you want to get proper medical care. I don't know what system you are in, but you might try to get an appointment with another doc. I had a hard time getting my thyroid diagnosed, my dh finally took me to see his flight surgeon and he said, "something is really wrong with her, please fix her:glare:". The doc looked at me instead of my file and said, "you have a goiter, we need to get blood work. I think you probably have an underactive thyroid". I did finally get good medical care, but it came from an unlikely source.

ok......now I'm thoroughly confused and concerned. How on earth can these doctors have such a wide range of "normal" on TSH levels? Someone mentioned .3-3, but my 10yod's endo just told me two months ago the normal range is .5-5 and she works out of Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City. They tested my dd this past December and found her TSH levels were 5.8 and a month later at 6.1 . Her endo started her on 25mcg of levothyroxin but within two weeks the child was a basket case. She was extremely irritable, snapping at everyone, in tears most of the time and unable to cope with any stressor including school work of any kind. At first this was getting her in trouble with mom/dad, but we figured out pretty quickly that the meds were contributing to her awful mood. This was not my sweet, gentle-minded little girl. I took her off the meds and within one week she was back to her normal self. We'll go back in June to test again, but I won't put her back on levothyroxin. The doctor will have to come up with another solution. Should I bother with meds for this child? I had them test her thyroid to begin with because I have had thyroid issues for many years and didn't know it until last summer. I've wondered about dd because in general she exhibits symptoms of hypothyroidism. Her endo insists that a TSH of 6.1 is barely above normal.

I am on Armour Thyroid and my TSH usually stays under 1.0. TSH alone is not a good gauge of how your thyroid is working. For me, I need a T3 (active thyroid hormone) reading. The TSH movement does not necessarily tell what the thyroid hormone is actually doing in the body.

One of my ND's told me that she never puts a patient on Synthroid alone. The ratios are wrong for a human.

Definitely, find a different doctor. Those test results are way out of range for normal and definitely not optimal.

Edited by HiddenJewel

ok......now I'm thoroughly confused and concerned. How on earth can these doctors have such a wide range of "normal" on TSH levels? Someone mentioned .3-3, but my 10yod's endo just told me two months ago the normal range is .5-5 and she works out of Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City. They tested my dd this past December and found her TSH levels were 5.8 and a month later at 6.1 . Her endo started her on 25mcg of levothyroxin but within two weeks the child was a basket case. She was extremely irritable, snapping at everyone, in tears most of the time and unable to cope with any stressor including school work of any kind. At first this was getting her in trouble with mom/dad, but we figured out pretty quickly that the meds were contributing to her awful mood. This was not my sweet, gentle-minded little girl. I took her off the meds and within one week she was back to her normal self. We'll go back in June to test again, but I won't put her back on levothyroxin. The doctor will have to come up with another solution. Should I bother with meds for this child? I had them test her thyroid to begin with because I have had thyroid issues for many years and didn't know it until last summer. I've wondered about dd because in general she exhibits symptoms of hypothyroidism. Her endo insists that a TSH of 6.1 is barely above normal.

Are they sure that it is her thyroid function that is low? The TSH is not a direct reading from the thyroid. The thyroid triggers the pituitary(?) to put out the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone which then triggers the body to produce more or less thyroid hormone. The adrenal gland is also involved somehow.

I dont know what my T4 level was. In fact, I dont know if they tested T4. I do know the T3 was 32, but I do not know what that means. Once again, I have an information deficit and docs who are not forth coming. It is like I am bothering them - I just want to be informed thank you very much and I am paying for the service.

Normal range for T3 Total on my last blood test was 85-205. So if that number is a T3 Total number you are WAY LOW. Mine is at 153 which is great.

T4 is the thyroid hormone that the body must convert to T3 which is the the active hormone.

You can legally get a 30 day supply of Armour Thyroid and T3 at antiaging-systems.com without a prescription. There is also information to be found on dosing on the same website, as well as the earlier two that I posted. I no longer go to my doc in Fishers for my thyroid because he agrees that labs are useless but I still have to get them and pay for them if he is going to write a prescription, and I have no insurance. We just use the temperature chart.

Just wanted to give you an option.

I would agree to a TSH reading being useless. But why does he feel a T3 reading is useless?

Hi, Ellen,

Subclinical hypothyroidism is usually just a way of saying that your TSH is higher than normal but your T4 isn't low --- it's usually a precursor to "overt" hypothyroidism (I think about 5-20% of people with it will progress to overt hypothyroidism every year). I agree that the term doesn't really make sense for the patient who DOES have "clinical" symptoms, but ... it's just what it's called! (Maybe the ladies here should come up with a new term for it!)

You're absolutely right that some people's "range" is smaller than the "official laboratory range," and that can be harder to detect, to control, and to manage. I'm sorry that you had to wait for treatment.

Here's a fairly old article (so the numbers for normals, etc., might be wrong) that details some of the issues. OP, even though it's an old article, the Figure (1; the algorithm) might be of some help to your doc in feeling more comfortable about treating you.

And that might be one reason why TSH and T4 are not the best lab results to use.

still waiting here. My gyn's nurse called this a.m. to say they had received the faxed labs (finally) and they were on the doc's desk.

She did say she didnt understand the labs so she could not interpret the data (?). So, the doc is supposed to call me back as soon as he reviews them and advises me on what to do. How hard is it to just order repeat labs??

Another side note and question.... Why does it feel like someone is grabbing me around the throat? I dont know how else to explain that one. It just feels "tight". Not allergic tight - when the throat to closing up. But odd if that makes any sense to anybody.

Another side note and question.... Why does it feel like someone is grabbing me around the throat? I dont know how else to explain that one. It just feels "tight". Not allergic tight - when the throat to closing up. But odd if that makes any sense to anybody.

Believe it or not, that could be thyroid related! I only read about this recently, when reading about Wilson's Temperature Syndrom (hypothyroid symptoms due to low body temperature/thyoroid SYSTEM issues with normally-functioning thyroid GLAND: http://www.wilsonstemperaturesyndrome.com/eBook/) You don't have this, because your labs are showing a problem, but reading the symptoms in the e-book might be helpful anyway. (The symptoms are common of hypothyroidism, not just WTS.) Dr. Wilson explains that since the thyroid system affects our bodies on one of the most fundamental levels, a whole host of symptoms can result when it's out of whack. Many of those symptoms are recognized by mainstream doctors, but many more are not. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by yslek
clarification

still waiting here. My gyn's nurse called this a.m. to say they had received the faxed labs (finally) and they were on the doc's desk.

She did say she didnt understand the labs so she could not interpret the data (?). So, the doc is supposed to call me back as soon as he reviews them and advises me on what to do. How hard is it to just order repeat labs??

Until my thyroid got balanced out, it was always hard for me to swallow pills. I don't know if my throat was swollen or what. I do know that if I get sick my throat will feel swollen. I didn't have the exact feeling that you are having, but somehow it was affecting my throat.

You might have a goiter.

I would agree to a TSH reading being useless. But why does he feel a T3 reading is useless?

Simply because the temperature chart works. It also finds adrenal problems, which are very hard to diagnose and treat with labs. There are also thyroid conditions in which your levels vary throughout the day, in the opposite order than normal (does that make sense?). The temp chart will find them, but a lab test will only give you one reading, so at the time of the blood draw it could be your "up" time.

Can you guys believe it?? Tuesday, close of business, and still NOTHING! The nurse returned my call this morning and said the labs were on his desk as of 8:15 and he would call. I emailed about 4 pm today and asked how they looked. Nothing.

I am so tired. I stopped taking all my supplements this weekend because the nurse who faxed the labs said supplements can affect lab results. He said I should be supplement free for 3 days prior to lab work. So, I stopped on Friday. Today, I am in the dirt tired. I need to either repeat the labs tomorrow or go back on the supplements. The way it looks now, I wont even have a call back. :confused:

Holly I'm so sorry you're going through this. I wish I had some advice for you.

But, I have more questions than answers. I have all the symptoms of hypothyroid - including a low temp in the morning. I had a test done last year at my physical and my doc said I was actually showing hypERhyroid. Some number was 4.7. What was that? The more I read, the more I think something's wrong. What tests do I ask for? What numbers are considered normal?

The doc said the Pituitary hormone (TSH) was mildly elevated but all the thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) were "within norms" so there was no where to go. I explained my concerns and symptoms, but he said they couldnt be caused by thyroid because the labs were actually good - just "mildly elevated TSH"with everything else good.

So, where to from here? Yes, I could get another doc. Dh is going to ask his doc tomorrow what he thinks.

Is there anything "health food storish" that might help to balance things out? I would rather go that route anyway rather than prescription meds if possible.

Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement from the other thread!!

Wait...I'm editing this.

You said 'pituitary hormone (TSH)' ...... I was thinking you meant PTH which is parathyroid hormone which would mean vitamin D deficiency (among other things but with the pandemic of D defiency, it's a reasonable assumption).

Anyway, TSH is Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and it can indicate subclinical hypothyroidism:

Having said that, I'd still look at D deficiency first as it will affect so many things, including thyroid. have a look at vitamindcouncil.org D deficiency is pandemic. Unless one is taking 1,000 IU per 25-30 lbs body weight, chances are that one is severely deficient.

The test to ask for is 25(OH)D - 'twentyfive hydroxy vitamin d" is how you'd ask for it. Just b/c it's 'normal' according to lab 'norms' doesn't mean it's okay, as lab norms haven't caught up with current evidence. Optimal levels are 55-80 ng/mL. In Canada and the rest of the world a different scale is used. When measuring nmoL levels above 125-150 will be optimal.

Katherine

Edited by cillakat

Did he check T-4 and T-3 or Free T-4 and Free T-3? My endo always checks for the Free T's. I can't remember the details but I believe that is what is available. Hopefully somebody can explain the difference.

Also you might have normal T-4 and normal T-3 now because your pituitary gland is producing more TSH to keep them normal, but in 6 mo. to a year that might not be enough, so you should be rechecked regularly no matter what.

Vit d is vital to so many things. The 2 year was checked and her D level was like 20. Shocked the dr because I insisted they check it! I know docs who give Therapy doses of like 50,000 iu once a month to bring up Vit D levels. I would ask that her Vit D level, idonine levels, zinc, calcium, and adernal function be done. THen I would ask for the lab copies to see for yourself what they are. IF any of the trace minerals are out of whack, thryoid and adrenals can suffer. Adrenal glands need A LOT of Vit C to work correctly (they are base support sort of for the thyroid) . The doc could be correct in that the thryoid levels are not in the range to cause those kind of symptoms but he should check adrenal fucntion and idone levels at least to see if those are working normally as well. Something is causing it! And whatever it is, the thryoid will eventually be out of "normal" if the reason for her condition isn't found now. It's frustrating dealing with drs who only look on the test and not at the person.

Is there anything "health food storish" that might help to balance things out? I would rather go that route anyway rather than prescription meds if possible.

Iodine is one.

Edited by HiddenJewel

Vit d is vital to so many things. The 2 year was checked and her D level was like 20. Shocked the dr because I insisted they check it! I know docs who give Therapy doses of like 50,000 iu once a month to bring up Vit D levels. I would ask that her Vit D level, idonine levels, zinc, calcium, and adernal function be done. THen I would ask for the lab copies to see for yourself what they are. IF any of the trace minerals are out of whack, thryoid and adrenals can suffer. Adrenal glands need A LOT of Vit C to work correctly (they are base support sort of for the thyroid) . The doc could be correct in that the thryoid levels are not in the range to cause those kind of symptoms but he should check adrenal fucntion and idone levels at least to see if those are working normally as well. Something is causing it! And whatever it is, the thryoid will eventually be out of "normal" if the reason for her condition isn't found now. It's frustrating dealing with drs who only look on the test and not at the person.

I was actually on D3 50,000 per day for a month and now I am on 50,000 twice a week and my level came back at 138 which is where my dr office wants it.

I was actually on D3 50,000 per day for a month and now I am on 50,000 twice a week and my level came back at 138 which is where my dr office wants it.

:svengo: I thought giving a 2 year old 800 a day was going to kill her. (not) Still, mega doses are needed when as the dr said "I've seen corpses with higher vit/mineral levels" And the more out of whack these things are, the more out of whack our hormones get. They all work hand in hand but good luck finding drs who agree or know how to make the connections.

The doc said the Pituitary hormone (TSH) was mildly elevated but all the thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) were "within norms" so there was no where to go. I explained my concerns and symptoms, but he said they couldnt be caused by thyroid because the labs were actually good - just "mildly elevated TSH"with everything else good.

So, where to from here? Yes, I could get another doc. Dh is going to ask his doc tomorrow what he thinks.

YES! Formula IV is proven to raise and balance all of your body's hormones. It is from GNLD. I was able to stop taking armour thyroid years ago when I switched to this. (I can't take it now because of an oatmeal allergy; I am breastfeeding DS.) It contains this product along with trace minerals. You can buy it from Jim Coyle. (He is just the guy I buy from, I am not affiliated with the company other than being a customer.)