Menu

Anyone else put off doing taxes until the last minute....

I filed ours as soon as the IRS started accepting returns. We got a hefty rebate this year due to dh being deployed. I hadn't printed a W-2 yet, so I went to do it last night, only to find out we now have a corrected W-2! So, I have to file an amendment, which is really OK...we'll get a few hundred more dollars back. lol. I need to mail it this afternoon.

Mine just got done, but many years the envelope has gone out on the 15th. Do you have one of those tax programs? (We like TurboTax). You can do it!

Yes, I am using TurboTax Online. Always do. Since I am terrible at record keeping, my business expenses are what usually keep me from getting this done earlier. This year, with an out-of-state move thrown in, and the need for part-year state returns etc., I just was not in the mood. They will likely be finished tonight. I did most of it in an hour and now am just getting my business expenses broken out.

It's funny, I hate the thought of doing taxes, which keeps me from getting them started, but I don't actually mind doing them once I start. Must be why I got an MS in Accounting all those years ago. :lol:

I did our Canadian return back in February because we got money back, but I haven't done the U.S. return yet. (DH is a dual citizen, so we have to do two returns). Because we're out of the U.S., though, we get an automatic one month extension. I'd still like to get it out by the 15th though, just to be done with it. There's no money involved, so that's why I'm procrastinating.

I filled our taxes out in January, knew that I was going to get 4000.00 back, and still did not submit them until last week!?! I don't know why I do this.every.single.year. Maybe I should use part of the refund to get counselling!

I filled our taxes out in January, knew that I was going to get 4000.00 back, and still did not submit them until last week!?! I don't know why I do this.every.single.year. Maybe I should use part of the refund to get counselling!

Save a seat on the counselor's couch for me. :D

Yep. Hubby complains, but he has never filed a piece of paper in his life, nor has he ever done taxes (his dad is an accountant and always did his.) If he is going to make me responsible, he can't complain if I don't get it done on time. I may be up late finishing them by the 15th, but I need to get it out of my hair. For several years, I was forced to do an extension.

Save a seat on the counselor's couch for me. :D

Could we make that a three seater?:)

I don't do them at all. :tongue_smilie:

Dh does 'em. ;)

As for when - whenever he gets it done, I guess. I think they have to be sent/done/whatever by the end of April.. That's his area and I don't touch it except for signing wherever he says sign. :)

Same here. I haven't said a word and I really don't even know if we will have to pay this year b/c dh was out of work and did a little work set up as an independent contractor. (less than $3,000.00 I think) I am trying not to nag him. Don't know how to encourage w/o doing that and he will just get upset.:glare: Oh well.

I usually do them the night before the deadline. I have no idea WHY I do this - but here I sit with the Turbo Tax not even installed on the computer yet.

Luckily, our taxes are pretty simple to deal with, but still... every year I plan to have them done at the end of Feb/early March and never do. lol