Menu

Losing weight and giving up my coffee in the a.m.?

I just can't do it! I am doing better at measuring my creamer, but it's still not something I know a nutritionist or trainer would say was okay. But, I can't start my day without it. It's not the caffeine, it's the slow start in the a.m. that I like and drinking something warm and creamy. I want to know what is so bad about it? Do I really need to give it up? I know it's extra calories and I'll have to make up for it somewhere else. Just wanting to know what I don't know about coffee and creamer. BTW, I use Coffeemate creamers, usually Hazelnut or right now it's Hazelnut Biscotti. It's 60 calories for 4 tsp. and I usually do 6, so I'm at 90 calories if I did my calculations right. Just help me understand why I should give it up or give me permission to continue. I don't want to sabotage my effort, but I also realized I can't change everything and stay sane either! :)

permission granted!

Actually, I think having a couple of treats helps you stay on your diet better. If you deprive yourself of everything, when you cheat, you'll cheat big time. You sound like you're taking the calories into account, so you should be fine.

Edited by Katrina

I tweaked different combo's until I had a coffee system that wasn't too bad.

I've used:

Low-calorie hot-chocolate mix in my coffee with a dash of skim milk.

Splenda has some flavored packets for coffee that are decent.

Low-fat creamer. I know I've seen these in flavored varieties.

If you really like the type you use, keep it. See how the weight loss goes with keeping it. If you get stuck, then worry about getting rid of it.

I found that I did need to make little changes and not everything at once. Like keeping the morning coffee, but switching out diet sodas for water.

I'm working on getting rid of all artificial sweeteners.....but it's baby steps.

I just can't do it! I am doing better at measuring my creamer, but it's still not something I know a nutritionist or trainer would say was okay. But, I can't start my day without it. It's not the caffeine, it's the slow start in the a.m. that I like and drinking something warm and creamy. I want to know what is so bad about it? Do I really need to give it up? I know it's extra calories and I'll have to make up for it somewhere else. Just wanting to know what I don't know about coffee and creamer. BTW, I use Coffeemate creamers, usually Hazelnut or right now it's Hazelnut Biscotti. It's 60 calories for 4 tsp. and I usually do 6, so I'm at 90 calories if I did my calculations right. Just help me understand why I should give it up or give me permission to continue. I don't want to sabotage my effort, but I also realized I can't change everything and stay sane either! :)

You can absolutely drink a little cream with your coffee.

It actually does something good to coffee - negates some of the acidity or something......

Anyway - THE KEY IS THIS:

COFFEE MATE IS NOT CREAM.

It is plastic.

PLASTIC.

The same thing that kills the albatross and the whale and the turtles of our thread on plastic.

Only it's a liquid plastic in your veins and arteries instead of a Clorox bottle floating around the ocean.

Seriously.

Do your research on hydrogenated oils (partially hydrogenated oils).

It messes up EVERY SINGLE CELL IN THE HUMAN BODY because the fake fat (hard like plastic) replaces the tiny particles of fat in bi lipid membrane of the cell. Causes good stuff to get out, bad stuff to get in, makes the cell wall rigid.

You would probably do better to have 2 tablespoons (or more) of regular half and half.

Which would be 40 calories and 3 grams of fat. The hidden calories and fat of your coffeemate (mono and di glycerides) are really what's bad. It's actually not as lowfat as you think and it's FAKE - your body has to work hard to process it. Ruins the metabolism.

Ummmmm...

Yah, so you can have the cream if it's real.

It actually does something good to coffee - negates some of the acidity or something......

It is plastic.

PLASTIC.

The same thing that kills the albatross and the whale and the turtles of our thread on plastic.

Only it's a liquid plastic in your veins and arteries instead of a Clorox bottle floating around the ocean.

Seriously.

It messes up EVERY SINGLE CELL IN THE HUMAN BODY because the fake fat (hard like plastic) replaces the tiny particles of fat in bi lipid membrane of the cell. Causes good stuff to get out, bad stuff to get in, makes the cell wall rigid.

You would probably do better to have 2 tablespoons (or more) of regular half and half.

Which would be 40 calories and 3 grams of fat. The hidden calories and fat of your coffeemate (mono and di glycerides) are really what's bad. It's actually not as lowfat as you think and it's FAKE - your body has to work hard to process it. Ruins the metabolism.

Ummmmm...

:eek: Did not know that! Hmmm.... you gave me a lot to think about! Thanks for the detailed info.

I agree.

We need a little fun in our daily lives.

Real pleasure.

I wasn't going to go there because I'm not one to give advice about losing weight as I have a bunch to loose, but I have had blood sugar problems and was heading towards being diabetic. I even had gestational diabetes when I was preg with my last child, and every time I've had my blood sugar checked it's always ran highish. I do a lot of reading about nutrition and have done everything I can to give up high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils. I just got my blood work done and right now my cholesterol, blood sugar, and whatever else they test is perfectly normal. I probably need to watch portions better and exercise more, but it's nice to know that I don't have other problems to worry about.

ETA: I also eat as much whole grains as possible

It is plastic.

PLASTIC.

Seriously.

Ummmmm...

Yeah, absolutely. Why eat plastic when you can have the real thing for less calories?

The thing about eating some good quality fat (and I consider cream good quality fat- it is REAL food) is that it feels good, it feels satisfying, abd feeling satisfied makes you less likely to binge eat. A low fat, low calories diet feels like starvation and deprivation. Fat makes you feel full.

Also, if you use your frame of mind (wanting to diet and get healthy) to learn some stuff about nutrition, you may find that cutting all trans fats and fake foods out of your diet and replacing them with real foods, might just rebalance your body and help it lose weight with less effort. When your body eats real food, it feels good and is far less likely to overeat than if it eats highly processed and fake foods.

Edited by Peela

I say the key to "naughty" food consumption is to have the best. The more expensive it is, the less often you'll feel inclined to eat it, you'll really enjoy it when you do, and you'll become too snobby to bother with the cheaper stuff.

Rosie- food snob ;)

I would keep your coffee and give up calories elsewhere if it is that important to you. If you want a healthier alternative that might be acceptable, switch to heavy cream instead of the coffeemate stuff, but if not, I doubt this one indulgence will hold you back as long as you make other changes.

Lisa

You don't have to have a "perfect" diet in order to lose weight! You just need to eat fewer calories than you burn! If there's something *real* that you can't live without, fit it into your diet in moderate quantities. I've found that if I try to deny myself *everything* that's "bad for me", I end up not eating it for about a month and then binging. (ie 3 dozen cookies at once or something)

I also agree that you'd be far better off with a few tablespoons of real cream rather than 6 of fake cream.

I would not recommend giving up your coffee as you were trying to loose weight. The caffeine in it has been proven scientifically to increase metabolism/energy which actually burns more calories. I know this also from personal experience. Several years ago I went on a strick diet and also replaced my 2 morning cups of java with a grain-type caffeine free beverage. :tongue_smilie: My energy level went through the floor, and I actually gained a few pounds. I was also rather sad a lot, because I had lost that *happiness factor* that coffee gives me. I do agree about the powdered creamers! Nasty stuff. You're much better off using a bit of real cream. I have found a vegetarian creamer (Silk creamer) that is actually very tasty and lower in fat, if you are interested in trying something else. Take care and have a cup of coffee with joy~

Ginger

I have been able to lose weight still having my coffee. I use 1 btsp half and half and 2 tsp sugar = 53 calories.

I have successfully used whole milk instead -- a little more than the half and half, though.

I bought a light creamer from Land o Lakes the other day which has fewer calories.

I just stick with these because they don't have hydrogenated oils.

I think I'll try and look for a "real" flavored creamer or just use the real stuff in moderation. I've really made a lot of changes in just the last year or so to eat better foods for my body as well as my family. I try to buy organic when I can afford it and just have real food around to eat. The coffeemate hasn't been so easy. I like the flavored stuff as opposed to just plain cream and sugar, but I can't keep pushing aside the fact that the fake stuff isn't so great for me even if I like it. That's a part of improving yourself. Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree with switching to either real cream - wish I could have it but I'm allergic to cow's milk - or a soy milk based creamer. I use WestSoy unsweetened soy milk and either honey or Stevia - so far I like NOW brand stevia the best. Stevia is a plant extract non-calorie sweetener so is xylitol. Silk brand soy products are pretty good but are sugary. I limit refined sugar quite a bit though I did let myself have a bit of easter candy. Again, if you deprive yourself too much or aren't satisfied with replacements, you'll fall off the wagon. But, I wouldn't give up the caffeine either. I take a couple cups of black tea in the AM then a couple more of green throughout the day - that green tea is supposed to be great for the metabolism too. I dropped about 15 pounds just by changing what I eat - extremely minimal amounts of refined sugar and carbs, plenty of veggies and fruits and protein and fats. I'm a bit plateaued (not a word!) right now and have just started getting a little more weight lifting in. My dh lost a bunch of weight that way too. He uses whole milk, delicious whole milk in his coffee and oatmeal, lucky guy!

...if you deny too much, it won't work. We have enough on our plates (so to speak) as homeschooling moms. I find that if I try and not eat after supper, I do much better than denying myself that jolt or small piece of chocolate or granola bar in the afternoon.

Blessings,

Stephanie