Menu

input on getting a Toaster Oven: Recommendations? What to look for/avoid??

We bought a large Black & Decker convection/toaster oven last year when we were remodeling the kitchen and had no appliances for a short time. I thought we'd donate it as soon as the kitchen was finished, but I still use it almost every day.

It's called the Black and Decker Countertop Convection Oven, and we bought it at BJ's Wholesale Club. I can't remember what we paid for it, but I think it was around $70.00. It may be cheaper online. It's nice because it's larger than the average toaster oven, and you can fit a 12" round pizza pan inside it. It comes with a broiler pan, which I usually cover with aluminum foil and then use it like a cookie sheet.

I can try to find the model number for you, if you would like. I have had other toaster ovens in the past, and this is the first one I've used regularly, because it works so well.

Cat

We bought a Cuisinart convection/toaster oven about 4 yrs ago when we got rid of our Microwave. It has been a very good appliance, used often. I love the convection part as it speeds up the heating up of leftovers. We us it as our toaster all the time. Don't have a regular toaster any more.

Honest question here, what do you do with a toaster oven? I have never owned one or known anyone that did. I am 40 something years old and I have never had a need for one. It is not really obvious like say a bread maker or grain mill.

Leftovers is a big one (as was said)--leftover pizza tastes MUCH better reheated in the toaster oven than in the micro (so does just about anything else). We use it for tuna melts, garlic bread, toasting bagels...anything you would use the broiler or the toaster for. A roommate had one when I was single and I came to love it but never had room for it. We just bought one when we moved and couldn't find our toaster (it took over a month to find it!) and I use it every day.

We bought a Cuisinart convection/toaster oven about 4 yrs ago when we got rid of our Microwave. It has been a very good appliance, used often. I love the convection part as it speeds up the heating up of leftovers. We us it as our toaster all the time. Don't have a regular toaster any more.

We have this one and love it. It's large enough to actually cook things, like scalloped potatoes, a couple pieces of salmon, or stuff like that. No toaster here, either...just use the toaster oven.

We have this one and love it. It's large enough to actually cook things, like scalloped potatoes, a couple pieces of salmon, or stuff like that. No toaster here, either...just use the toaster oven.

I looked at the Cuisinart before deciding on the Black and Decker. (They were right next to each other on the display at BJ's.) I liked both of them and don't think you could go wrong with either one, but as I recall, the B&D was larger, which I needed at the time. It takes up more counter space than a smaller model, though, so that could be a consideration.

I thought I would never use mine again after my new range was installed, as it's a 48" model with two ovens, but that toaster oven is just so convenient that I still use it all the time!

Cat

I've had two Black and Decker toaster ovens and both have caught fire, so I now avoid them!

YIKES!!! :eek:

Thanks for the warning -- mine seems to be fine, but I'll be sure I never leave it unattended. (I never really do, anyway, but now I'll be extra-careful!)

Cat

We bought the Cuisinart one at Costco. $99.00 and worth every penny. I use it daily and very often for our dinner meal. The convection feature really does speed up the cooking time. 9x9 pan of brownies in less than 20 minutes. A whole casserole in about 40- mins. Potaotes, whole pizza's..it's amazing.

Ladies, thank you! This has been *extremely* helpful! I spent hours last night reading reviews and comparing models. Still trying to sort out the pros and cons, but it looks like with the addition of being able to roast a chicken, bake potatoes, etc., a convection toaster oven would be helpful here in cutting down oven costs here.

Still gathering information, so any more comments welcome! Again, thank you so much! Warmly, Lori D.

Toaster Ovens are awesome, especially if you want to avoid the use of microwave ovens, which zap any and all nutrients out of everything. We only use the microwave for popcorn, that's it. Leftovers go in the toaster oven. yum. I do organic hot dogs in the toaster oven for my kids. Taste way better than boiling, just like they came from a grill.

we've had B&D undercounter ones and been happy, BUT, the one i got in November doesn't have a broiler. That has greatly reduced my use for it.. .and it didn't come with a pan because of that, and i had given my pan to my SIL when we moved. I have yet to find one that fits in it.

I've had a few toaster ovens and I've always dumped them.

We now have a convection/toaster oven. They are larger but much, much more useful. It's a whole other oven.

I've never had much luck with black and decker products but I see some have.

I've had two Black and Decker toaster ovens and both have caught fire, so I now avoid them!

If you'll notice the small print on the oven, it usually states "In the event of food flare up..."

I've had that happen with several, but only when I don't clean it often enough. Our last model was a pain to clean, this one has a slide out bottom tray, we haven't had a fire (euphemistically known as a "food flare up") since.

I use mine all the time. Uses 1/2 the electricity of our oven, with the right size pan, you can cook for 4 in it when your little people aren't teenagers yet.

In the summer, you can take it outside and cook outside and not heat up the oven.

It also makes the yummiest cinnamon toast ever, put all the stuff on before toasting and it gets all melted in together (but it does drip a bit on the bottom, and will cause a "food flare up" if not regularly cleaned after making said toast.)