Menu

So I'm thinking about wearing this dress to an upcoming ball...

and I need your help.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3012771/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014150?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014150&P=1

I only, ever, ever, ever wear black gowns. My son just told me, "you're a MIB" as in mom-in-black. Cheeky little bugger. Anyway- when it comes to these formal events I'm afraid of color. Black is easy to accesorize.

How does one personalize and accesorize white/ivory? I'm thinking I can buy some shoes with color, right? My worst fear is someone will have the same dress- it is hard to find dresses on this island and lots of people order from Nordstroms.

And what do you think of the dress? I'm tall- 5'10". I have a nursing chest, IYKWIM. Do you think it will work?

I don't have much time. I'll have to order today. Thanks for your help.

Jo

I love the dress, and think you could accessorize with practically any color you like, including your signature color, black. :) With a nursing chest, I'd need to pack protection (LOL) but otherwise, you'll knock 'em dead.

It's a gorgeous dress, and I'm betting it'll be smashing on you!! I don't think you can go wrong with that if you are tall and shapely, thanks to baby!

I'd pick pretty, strappy sandals in a bright color and a bag/clutch to match, plus a silky white shawl.

Color me just a wee bit jealous! :)

and you will look lovely in it with your dark hair. I am not sure about accessorizing with anything other than ivory. I am not so good at that. It has been 3 years since we have been to a formal military event. I wore jade and black. It was easy- black shoes, purse, wrap. I can handle that. ;)Have fun.

I love it! Any color would be beautiful but a teal or jade green would really pop - especially if you've got darker skin/hair. I would wear white shoes though. Just a sparkly, pretty shawl, necklace, earrings, bracelet - Of course, that's just me.

I love military balls - and hate them too. I'm always concerned about how I'm going to fit in with the crowd then I get there and am amazed at some of the things that show up. :blink:

Love the dress :). I would accessorize with silver and/or teal.

I was thinking metalic, too. Gold dress sandals, clutch and bracelet.

The dress is beautiful and you are going to look fantastic.,

Have fun!!

Edited by Ferdie

Love it! Yes, pick shoes with some color (black would work, too) or sparkly- something "strappy." Pick your accessories to coordinate with your shoes, but with the detail on the dress, you don't need a lot of extras. I would probably go with dangling, splarkly earrings and a matching bracelet, no necklace.

You will have to post pictures of you in the dress.

Love it! IDK about the fit though through the chest. That would be the only thing I'd be nervous about. But a nice scarf or shawl would be a good accessory.

Without knowing your coloring, it's hard to say on accessories. Ivory/Cream is a lovely neutral. Silver, pearl, or even better, a soft gold shoes and jewelry would be pretty, paired with a bit of pale turquoise...Tiffany Blue or even softer.

If warmer colors look good on you, an amber/copper or metalic bronze would be nice.

What a beautiful dress! I would go with gold or bronze accessories and shoes. I also agree that less is more - maybe dangly earrings and a bracelet.

I'm a little jealous of your height. Tall women always look better in evening gowns than us shorties (I'm 5'1").

Have fun! You are going to look amazing.

The dress is gorgeous!

I wore off white to my oldest daughters wedding. I accessorized with simple gold/diamond necklace that had a pearl in it and matching earrings. I think I wore cream shoes, but gold strappy things would be beautiful too.

I second the lacey shawl idea.

If warmer colors look good on you, an amber/copper or metalic bronze would be nice.

I have dark, dark brown hair- almost black- and freckles with greenish eyes. I will have tan- I *will* have a tan! Make a note: do school work on the lawn. :D

I'm just not sure of my colors. I hope it doesn't wash me out. :confused:

I'm trying to make an attachment.

post-1524-13535082840044_thumb.jpg

post-1524-13535082840044_thumb.jpg

I have dark, dark brown hair- almost black- and freckles with greenish eyes. I will have tan- I *will* have a tan! Make a note: do school work on the lawn. :D

I'm just not sure of my colors. I hope it doesn't wash me out. :confused:

I'm trying to make an attachment.

Beautiful dress and nice details. Have you noticed that it says to order to the size of your bust? If the size seems right for your frame based on the bust size you should be fine, but if it is more than 2 sizes off, you will need alterations. Just make sure to allow time and budget for that.

I would accessorize with white/silver/light taupe shoes. And silver metal jewelry, with green or blue accessories like jade, turquoise etc. These colors will bring out your eyes.

I recently bought these shoes in black and they are really cute. The mushroom color would probably work with white.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3003828/0~2376778~2372808~2377035~2379517?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2379517&P=1

It is a lovely dress.

You are a beautiful woman.

But to wear "ivory" and not look "washed-out" one better have dark skin. And even with the benefit of Hawaiian sun, you are a "fair-skinned" beauty (even with a "tan").

I'd stick with what works ;)

Bill

It IS a beautiful gown. The flat details in front would concern me. I'd make sure that the bust size and waist size match your body size. If you call them, they might be able to give you exact measurements for the dress (rather than just using a general size chart).

When I was looking at your selection, this other dress popped up on the side that I thought might be a better style for your nursing BooKs. It has wide straps, and more of a cup design. Do you like it?

Cachet Beaded Waist Jersey Gown, item#249522

If you want to add color, you could get red shoes. A pendant necklace would add a lot.

It IS a beautiful gown. The flat details in front would concern me. I'd make sure that the bust size and waist size match your body size. If you call them, they might be able to give you exact measurements for the dress (rather than just using a general size chart).

When I was looking at your selection, this other dress popped up on the side that I thought might be a better style for your nursing BooKs. It has wide straps, and more of a cup design. Do you like it?

Cachet Beaded Waist Jersey Gown, item#249522

If you want to add color, you could get red shoes. A pendant necklace would add a lot.

I did see that one, and I liked it. I actually thought the tighter bodice would work better for support. I need support- all that nursing....:glare:. I measured...because you forced me. ;) That and a pair of spanx for baby belly should help me get the right fit for that style. Now I'm wondering about the color..... I wish they made it in black. :D

That dress is beautiful, and it would look great w/your coloring.

Dont do color shoes, stick w/ivory or gold or silver. If you do metallic shoes have your accesories match.

Just do beautiful earrings and bracelets. If you do wt. shoes do color accesories, it doesnt matter, maybe something to match your bag. Again , no necklace.

Order, order, order.

Personally, I think you will look absolutely stunning in that dress, and the color will be beautiful on you.

I think it's a great choice because it's s e x y yet not overly revealing, so you will be noticed by everyone, without looking at all trashy.

I actually like the dress so much that I'm thinking of ordering one for myself -- you and I have the same eye, hair, and skin color, but I'm only 5'6" tall with a "minimalist" bust size :glare: so you'll definitely look better in the dress than I will!

If you get it, I hope you'll post a photo after the ball!

Cat

Jo,

That is a drop dead gorgeous dress, that I think you'd look great in.

Before the last Navy Ball, I bought some incredible jewelry at the swap meet. You could go with jade, peridot or amythyst, all of which are easy to find on island. There are even a couple vendors at the swap meet that make their own jewelry, so you might even be able to take a picture in and get them to make you a set of necklace, earrings and maybe a bracelet. I ended up with a cool chunky green and purple necklace that I really liked.

On the other hand, you could go with just some fabulous earrings and a gorgeous lei.

Sebastian

(BTW, I'm also totally jealous, because that dress would make me look like a toadstool.)

On the other hand, you could go with just some fabulous earrings and a gorgeous lei.

Sebastian

What a great idea! A good lei- pikake or a fresh puakenikeni- would go well with that neckline. And then I would just need earrings and the bag/shoe ensemble.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Btw- I bought a great handmade necklace at the swap meet, not to long ago. You are right about finding deals there.

Jo

That is so true! :lol:

I'll second the idea of a shawl. I'm always surprised at how cold I am, even when I do have a wrap with me. Seems like everyone gets chilled during all the toasts and remarks and counter remarks and everything else.

Of course, roll throwing might keep you warmed up??