Menu

A person can go crazy here...

KatConnolly

I am feeling sooo overwhelmed with all the choices available. Anyone got an extra, understanding hug hanging around to give?

I went from A Thomas Jefferson Education to stumbling across TWTM about 2 months ago, and being totally amazed by the concept. I tried it with my 10 ds and have seen him shoot off in all areas and loving the learning business.

When I start reading all the posts in the forum, trying to decide what curriculum to use for different areas, I get so confused and paralyzed. I don't know which one is best for Science for next year!

Then there is the writing problem. WS or WWE? What is the difference? Is FLL3 alone enough for now?

What is good for History next year? I'm currently running quickly through SOTW 1-4 to give a foundation and should be done by the end of summer.

I've given up on Science this year except for an occasional Physics experiment here and there.

Latin is Prima Latina - no problem there.

How do you decide what is best without spending money and trying it out?

Am I the only one who feels this way here? Does this forum offer therapeutic, counseling sessions? Massages? :tongue_smilie:

There... I just needed to dump... (sniff)

:grouphug:

I'm right there with you. I just started HSing a couple of months ago. Luckily, I didn't start looking at this forum until after I bought most of my curriculum. My method of choosing? I just look and look until I come across something that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Then I stop looking. I know I'll want to switch if I look around any more. Of course, if I decide that I don't like something after all, I can switch later, right?

Also, I really like things that have samples online. At some point I found some samples of FLL3 online. It looked like it included a lot of the things that WWE has. Others who have used it would know better than me, but I would just buy FLL, then see later if you want to add in WWE (or WS).

You probably don't need another suggestion for science, but REAL Science Odyssey is the one that we are using. I liked that it correllated pretty well with WTM, but was more interesting for us. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can download sample chapters and use them for a few weeks to see if you like it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I've been hanging out here for about 2 years now and I still get totally overwhelmed! So many different approaches that seem so incredibly good and well-thought-out . . . but it will come together. Give it a few months to "percolate" and let the ladies and gents here put their two cents in. Many of them will give you wildly different answers, but since they'll give you the reasoning behind their advice, you'll still be in a place to use it. At least you've got a few months to figure it out! :)

Another :grouphug:

Mama Anna

:grouphug:

I still feel that way. I think that part of the problem is that there are more good curriculum choices out there than any one person can sanely try out in a lifetime. (I keep telling myself that...) Also, some stuff works really well for some students (or teachers!) while other (equally good) stuff just doesn't, for whatever reason.

I'm a bit of a curriculum junkie myself, so I can't really offer much advice in the way of not spending money trying out a bunch of unecessary stuff. :tongue_smilie: Often it's best to try something, and stick with it if it works. :D (And if you absolutely must look at more than one curriculum per subject, try and go for stuff you can cheaply buy used, or that has a good resale value. ;))

BTW, WS=Writing Strands and WWE=Writing With Ease. WS didn't go over well with my ds10, but he's doing well with WWE. Your mileage may vary, of course. :)

It sounds like things are going well for you overall...I'm sure you'll get some good advice from the wonderful people on this board. :grouphug:

Oh researching curriculum can become quite an obsession, just ask me how I know LOL.

I will suggest looking into History Odyssey for next year. They have wonderful programs. Someone already recommended REAL Science Odyssey, which is great but I'm not sure what level your son is at science wise, The new Chem 1 program could work well, if you aren't too set on follwing the rotation exactly (Ie: bio, space, chem, physics) We didn't start out with WTM and following it very loosely now, but science has always been something where we do what area the kids are interested in.

Take a deep breath. You don't have to figure it all out now. Plus, you're likely to change your mind anyway. ;)

Decide what aspects you're looking for in curriculum and then ask what fits the bill.

For example I look for secular material. I also look for curriculum that is fairly scripted. I like the ease of having it all spelled out for me.

There is something to fit everyone.

I agree. I can spend hours reading this board and a curriculum catalog from cover to cover.

Writing semi-annual goals and looking at them before I make purchases helps.

When I notice my stomach in knots, I know its time to set the catlog/ internet aside and remember to stop and just enjoy my precious children.

I am feeling sooo overwhelmed with all the choices available.

I feel your pain! I've been AGONIZING over a writing curriculum decision forever! There are too many choices, yet I can't get them all in my grubby paws, the ones I can get to see still don't help me decide, then I come here and learn more things........ it goes on and on.

:) Right there with you. And I could totally be a curriculum junkie if my budget allowed it! Every single time (and I do mean every single time) I hear someone raving about a curriculum purchase or great book, my first instinct is to forsake what we are doing and go buy the new thing.

So I'm not one to help you b/c I often feel the same way.

What do I do? I reread TWTM for whatever grade my child is in (only 1 of mine is of school age right now) and then feel reassured that what I'm using is GREAT and I just stick with what I'm doing.

Sometimes I'll buy something new and fun as a supplement or I borrow the "great" new thing from a friend. You know what? I end up back with what we're using because it's comfortable and if it's good enough for the "Bauer girls" it's good enough for me.

Can I just suggest that BEFORE you look and pick out curriculum and spend money (no one wants to spend extra money right now) you and dh sit down and have a chat about what your goals are for your family and for children. What do you want them to learn? What is the end goal? College? Trade school? Do you plan on putting them back into a traditional school? Character or Bible driven?

Learn about the philosophies (classical, charlotte mason, unit studies etc....) and find one that fits your goals and style.

Once we finally figured out who we wanted my kids to be (as much as I can control) and what was most important to us as a family and wrote those goal down, we could look more clearly at our curriculum choices. If if didn't fit those goals, no use spending time or money on them. It made life more clear and decisions more clear cut.

Keep in mind that no curriculum will fit 100% of time - we all tweak a little but then find the curriculum (s) that best fits your goals and go with it!

Sorry, went a little intense there!:glare:

I just wanted to jump in and give you a (((hug)))!

It's not just you...TRUST ME! The endless selection of beautiful curriculums is enough to drive us all insane! In fact, I just created a thread today about my most recent temptation! Fortunately, there are a lot of "pros" popping in and out of here to keep us grounded! ;)

~Melissa

Wow! Thank you so much! (taking a deep breath here)

One step at a time, one day at a time - AND one subject at a time. I can see that I'm not walking alone in this and will definitely keep all of your words in mind. I really appreciate it.

Now... how much is it per hour for this counseling session? (big grin)

Do you want to know how crazy it is? I was wavering between MOH, SOTW and TOG, and the recent thread about those helped me decide on SOTW. I even had my dh read your post, Kat, because I thought it was very helpful. Then you start this thread...

Now... how much is it per hour for this counseling session? (big grin)

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

It's ok. I'll be fine. I'm going with SOTW. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

For example I look for secular material. I also look for curriculum that is fairly scripted. I like the ease of having it all spelled out for me.

:iagree: Reading The Well-Trained Mind after reading A Thomas Jefferson Education really helped me clarify what I was looking for. I prefer secular since we're not born again Christian (and it seems many homeschooling programs are). I also look for open-and-go, easy to implement programs.

I just stopped WWE with my oldest (she was halfway through level 2) and am doing FLL 4, which has narration and dictation. I had her do WWE 1, which helped a lot.

Just stick to TWTM. Don't look around until you have to b/c of a problem. WS was recommended before SWB came up with WWE, so WWE would be recommended now. How old is your son? Rainbow Science, Real science 4 kids, classical science and science odyssey stick to TWTM pretty close I think, and they are easier to pull off. God's Design is excellent, especially with the addition of a DK E-guide.

Oh! I just gave you more choices! But honestly... only shop science. It sounds like pure WTM recs are working for everything else, right?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Kat, don't give up on science! Just pick something, even if it's just a kit or Snap Circuits or something, and let him do it. The fun stuff is what keeps them energized to do the stuff they don't enjoy as much.

You'll sort out the rest. It just takes TIME! :)

Learn about the philosophies (classical, charlotte mason, unit studies etc....) and find one that fits your goals and style.

Keep in mind that no curriculum will fit 100% of time - we all tweak a little but then find the curriculum (s) that best fits your goals and go with it!

:iagree: Last summer when I realized I was in this (HS'ing, that is) for the long-haul, I went to the library and checked out a 3 foot tall stack of books on teaching methods, homeschooling, curriculum catalogs, etc. Ones that really shaped my journey were Homeschooling for Excellence by ? (forgot his name!) and Miki Colfax, and Easy Homeschooling (forgot the author). Previous to those books I'd been exposed to Abeka/Christian school style teaching and to non-religious Montessori school teaching. I liked elements of both and was trying to do a mix. THEN... I read TWTM. My mind was mush for about a month while it tried to wrap itself around all that info. It takes awhile to wade through it all and find your groove.

The search bar here is a great tool when you want to know what people have said about any particular curriculum - that's how I've found out more about many. If you can't find what you're looking for you can always post questions about things too. Whenever I've asked anything, I always get a wealth of knowledge from those who've BTDT.

FLL is grammar - not a writing composition/style curriculum. It came out before WWE, and WS was the rec. for writing composition/style before that in WTM. FLL isn't meant to be used for writing as well, although the amount of actual handwriting between the two, with penmanship on top of that (if added) may be too much for some kids. SWB rec's doing FLL orally or mostly orally for those in that situation.

I've made myself nuts with curriculum choices and went through a phase of almost panic over trying to make sure I was making the "right" or "best" decision. There will always be something new, something else you hadn't heard of, etc. The grass isn't always greener. Something I've learned after spending too much $$ just to try things out: Most curricula (esp. math) teach the same basics in the long run, they just do it in a different order and on a different schedule. Research and compare as much as you need to, but when you've found something you like and have made your decision don't look back. Implement it and "don't fix what isn't broken". That's good advice I wish I'd taken sooner. ;)

There's my 2 cents, YMMV and all that jazz. :D

:grouphug: Kat, You sound exactly like I felt last year and actually how I still sometimes feel. So, off the bat, know that you aren't alone in being overwhelmed!

I can't say enough about this forum. When I have a question, this is the first place I ask because usually someone else has been there before me and can offer some perspective.

I asked a LOT of questions and did a lot of research. Even after looking at samples online or at curriculum fairs, I still made purchasing errors, over bought and completely overwhelmed myself. But through that I've also learned what works best for my daughter and also for me.

Good luck!

I've been homeschooling for 17 years, and I can still get my head spinning looking at new curriculum. I go and look at the hundreds of books on my shelves that I HAD to have - and then used once or twice. Then I ask myself, "Would you really use this?"

Sometimes that works.:001_smile:

How do you decide what is best without spending money and trying it out?

......join lots of local support groups and ask if anyone has XXXX avaliable so you can get your hands on it and really get a good look at it.

Remember that there is no such things as the "one and only best" curriculum. When folks rave about a particular curriculum they are only saying they have found the "best" for their particular family and circumstances.

The "best" for your particular family is the one that YOU enjoy using, your CHILD makes progress with, and keeps DAD happy with the homeschooling journey.

I have been blessed to know many homeschooling families who have many varied homeschooling philosophies and I have learned that the particular curriculum isn't as important as the consistency in using it. If the child is progressing the particulars just aren't that important.

When I look at curriculum I first want to make sure it is something that I will enjoy using. I prefer "open and go" resources so any resource that someone raves about that involves alot of prep work from me is immediately eliminated from my short list to review. When I judge the short list by my husbands standards it usually becomes even shorter. Once I find a curriculum that meets the above standards and my child is making progress with the subject I don't even bother looking for alternatives.

There are SO many options but so many are covering the same material in a slightly different way that is is not worth going nuts and broke looking for the "best". Find the one that makes you happy, keeps daddy happy and the child progressing and then put on your blinders and be consistent in using it.

I totally understand your frustration. :( Unfortunately, I am a "buy and try" kind of gal. The one piece of advice that I can give you is not to always just use the "new hottest thing" if you are pretty sure it is not going to be a fit for your child. I bought CW Homer...knowing full well that I have a child who struggles in English, who doesn't like writing, who doesn't even form sentences properly at 9 years old! What was I thinking??? I wasn't thinking. :( So I ended up selling it. A lot of it really is trial and error. What works perfectly for one of my kids may not work at all for my other ds. KWIM? It is the toughest part of homeschooling, IMO.

Do you want to know how crazy it is? I was wavering between MOH, SOTW and TOG, and the recent thread about those helped me decide on SOTW. I even had my dh read your post, Kat, because I thought it was very helpful. Then you start this thread...

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

It's ok. I'll be fine. I'm going with SOTW. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

LOL - It was going through your post that got me looking at TOG!! I confess - I am a curriculum junkie also. There's always something fun looking and trying out new things. Unfortunately, I now have two stacks of books lying on the floor to sell. The whole MOH set and LLATL (orange and purple book).

There was a quote in this thread about enjoying our children. Sometimes, I go crazy looking for the right curriculum and forget that we are having fun no matter what we use and there is definitely learning going on.

I just love it when my 10ds puts his head on my shoulder and says that he loves spending time with me. Who can beat that?!? Isn't that what it's all about? Thanks again for the reminder.

I do enjoy what I'm doing and so do my children. I guess I'm not too far off after all.

Now for that science program... I do have all summer to do some research and I don't have to make the decision right now.

So much wisdom in all your posts. Thanks again.

:iagree: When I found WTM and classical education I just knew it was the one for us. I have not yet strayed from the idea of classical ed. This automatically rules out a lot of curriculums that I don't need to even look at. If you can find the style that really speaks to you, it will narrow it down for you quite a bit. However, there are still a lot of choices. One of the things that I do it try and buy the curriculum used so that if I don't like it, I can sell it for about what I purchased it for. I ask a ton of questions and try never to buy something that I haven't seen or investigated pretty thoroughly. I think it gets easier as you go on because you become better at discerning what will work for your family. But, it is hard when you are starting out!!

:iagree: When I found WTM and classical education I just knew it was the one for us. I have not yet strayed from the idea of classical ed.

I totally agree with you there! When I started homeschooling my 19 year old 5 years ago, using the Thomas Jefferson Education, I saw such growth in him because it was a classical education. It has truly been a blessing to do it this way. He has amazing study skills - which is an integral benefit of this type of education.

For example: at the age of 18, he wanted to build credit using credit cards. I gave him a few beginning lessons and he took over. He spent hours talking to a banker about credit, he did hours of research online, he checked out a myriad of options in credit cards, and then figured out how to build credit using a credit card without incurring interest. Same with Quicken. A couple of hours teaching him the basics and within two weeks he knew more than I did! He has learned how to think for himself and make informed decisions, which is an invaluable skill.

I contrast that with a secretary I hired once while managing a Mortgage Company. She had a degree in communications and couldn't write a professional letter for the life of her. Sad...

One of the things that I do it try and buy the curriculum used so that if I don't like it, I can sell it for about what I purchased it for. I ask a ton of questions and try never to buy something that I haven't seen or investigated pretty thoroughly.

Choosing a curriculum that supports that is the difficult part, especially when my time is so limited. I started my 19 yo son with BJU science but it got a little too time consuming for me in the higher grades and a harder for me to comprehend; therefore, my involvement was minimized which is not what the BJU science curriculum recommends.

Your idea is a great one - buying second hand and selling it if I dont' like it. That would be ideal. Or finding ladies here that live in the Layton, Utah area, who would be willing to let me check out their current science curriculums.

Thanks for your comments, Mindy. This forum has been a great resource for me! :)

I'm sorry, I thought being part nutso was a requirement for homeschooling! :tongue_smilie: LOL! After all, we aren't socialized, and all live in a box! Right?! :lol:

Yes, and we keep our kids in the closet in the box, because after all, we really aren't homeshooling. Yeah, right. :tongue_smilie:

I can't add much to what everyone else has said, but I feel your pain! I am curriculum obsessed, especially at this time of year. But I'm like this with everything - if I have too many choices I go crazy. This is why I like eating at In 'n Out Burger - the only choice you have is cheese or no cheese. Lol! It's history I'm going back and forth on right now. I'm just going to have to decide on something and go with it, I think.