Menu

Saving money by not using the clothes dryer?

A good friend of mine told me today that she saved $50 on her electric bill by hardly using her dryer in the last month. Instead, she hung and draped the laundry around inside the house.

So now I have a whole load of towels and, ahem, under garments draped in the basement and storage room (i.e. dh’s workshop). They’re on the shelves, the furniture dolly, the cooler–you name it. It’s a bit disheveled(did I spell that right? looking down there, but hey--every dollar counts!

Have any of you noticed a drop in your electric bill from not using the dryer?

YES!!

I stopped using our dryer. It had never really worked right, but when it started taking 3 turns just to dry one small load, I started hanging stuff inside. I bought 2 $10 laundry racks at WM. I have 2 over the door towel racks on my laundry room door. And I have a bar where I hang stuff. Big things like sheets and comforters I hang over the shower bar. I can hang 3 loads up usually and they take a day to dry.

My bill has definitely gone down and we are using much less power. One bill last fall we had used 1/3 less power over the same month the year before!

Well, I hang out practically all laundry all spring/summer into fall. We did not have a decrease in $$. Compared to previous years, about the same. I don't know why. As a matter of fact the dryer was broken for 3 months. No change at all. IDK why. We weren't on a budget w/ power company.

Yes, a definite difference. I now have laundry day and I hang the bulk of it to dry. As I do each load I throw the stuff I am using the dryer for in but don't run it until all the loads are done. That way I only run it once.

I save 1$ per load. And electricity is cheap here. We do use it in the winter time though, although I should install something in the basement for hanging clothes, so we can recycle that humidity. It's dry during the winter months, with heating!

During the summer, clothes are outside. When they're dried, I give them a 2 minutes run in the dryer to get rid of the stiffiness.

With our house being so small, I didn't think of hanging clothes up inside. As soon as the weather gets nice, we stop using the dryer altogether, but mabye I should find the space to put come clothes racks inside during the not-so-nice weather. I can't tell you the exact savings (my husband usually pays the bills), but our electric bill does go down in the summer, and it's not because we are not using the heater anymore. We have wood heat. So I'm all for the laundry lin, inside or out!

Well, I hang out practically all laundry all spring/summer into fall. We did not have a decrease in $$. Compared to previous years, about the same. I don't know why. As a matter of fact the dryer was broken for 3 months. No change at all. IDK why. We weren't on a budget w/ power company.

Gas dryer? ;)

I have a gas dryer, but I hang dry about 1/3 of the laundry, mainly to help my clothes last longer. In addition to nice clothing and any synthetics, I hang dry jeans and sometimes towels, and just put them in the dryer for 10 minutes so they're not stiff.

When we first moved here I hung out most of our wash, only drying undergarments. When cold weather hit I used the dryer. We noticed no real difference in our electric bill. I think we would save somewhere between $10 to $15 a month. That is not enough for me to hang out all of our clothes.

That savings might even be less now since we have a front loader and the clothes come out damp instead of soaked.

It takes a lot of time to hang out all of the wash for a family of 7. Maybe if there were less of us, I would do it. :001_smile: I actually enjoy hanging out wash, I find it relaxing. But these days I don't have the time to spare.

With a large family, I wash and dry at least one load of laundry a day. Back during the fall on Good Morning America, their was a going green segment. The lady was telling about how much money you could save by hanging clothes, unpluging items not in use, ect. I decided to see how much money we could save if I hung up laundry instead of using our dryer. I started to notice a 50 to 70 dollar decrease in my electric bill.

Even though the savings was great, I finally went back to using my dryer. I was hanging clothes up in the basement and going up and down the stairs twice a day was starting to get annoying. I wish I could hang clothes outside, but our home owners association won't allow clothes lines in the neighborhood. The home owners association members say that clothes lines are an eye sore to the neighborhood.

Blessings

Zoraida

Electric rates have gone up here, so line drying laundry last summer just held our bill steady at the previous year's cost. Indoors isn't an option here...too much humidity already. We also toss the jeans and towels into the dryer for a few minutes to soften after they are dry. Even if the savings isn't huge it does give our poor dryer a summer vacation and I get to relive memories of hanging out the wash with my late Grandma :) I don't think she EVER had a dryer.

Family of 7 here. Yes, we notice a difference.

I too hate line-dried clothes. i don't like the outdoorsy smell, the time involved, or the stiffness of jeans and towels. However, i do know that the fewer electrical appliances we use, the less they charge us ;)

Another vote for putting clothes in the dryer w/ a dryer sheet for about 5 -10 minutes then hanging them up.

In NY, dh set up a series of clothesline indoors, mounted to the studs in the wall. screw some hooks into the STUDS in the walls, then string up your clothesline. take it down when you need the room. We had one in the livingroom and hung up clothes in there overnight. God help the burglar trying to break in ;)

another option is to purchase/ find some wooden/ plastic/ metal rods and set them over a couple chairs.

clothespin socks/ underwear to hangars and hang them on the bathtub shower rod. or along that clothesline you set up to maximize efficiency. :D

good luck!

Aha--this is the tip I needed.

Perfect. Thank you! :)

don't forget that many times mops and brooms have removable heads --sweep by day, hang clothes by night ;)

i have found curtain rods cheap at the thrift stores too.

you can also tie a clothesline from one chair to another if the chair is designed to allow for such [not a solid back]. You need to weigh down the chair w/ a shelf-full of books or the unabridged dictionary, but it works almost as well as stringing clothesline from wall to wall ;)

Years ago, I hung clothes in the house to dry, but over the months mold started to develop in the house because of increased humidity. I then considered hanging the clothes on a clothes line outside, but a friend who is allergist advised me against it, because he said pollens and pollution gets trapped in the fibers of the clothing/sheets/etc.

Some other thoughts: Using the dryer too can kill bacteria left on laundry. I've read that underwear (especially kids) usually have fecal matter that doesn't get completely washed away...yew!:tongue_smilie:

Years ago, I hung clothes in the house to dry, but over the months mold started to develop in the house because of increased humidity. I then considered hanging the clothes on a clothes line outside, but a friend who is allergist advised me against it, because he said pollens and pollution gets trapped in the fibers of the clothing/sheets/etc.

Some other thoughts: Using the dryer too can kill bacteria left on laundry. I've read that underwear (especially kids) usually have fecal matter that doesn't get completely washed away...yew!:tongue_smilie:

yeah. In NY we had a dehumidifier running all the time anyway in the basement. You'd have to do an analysis of whether a dehumidifier would use more/ less energy than a dryer.

Pollens aren't an issue for us.

and all our underwear gets BLEACHED!!:lol:

My sister doesn't use her dryer much. Their clothes are stiff. I wouldn't do it.

If you put the clothes in the dryer for 5-10 minutes after they have air dried, they will be just as soft as if you dried them all the way in the dryer.

If you put the clothes in the dryer for 5-10 minutes after they have air dried, they will be just as soft as if you dried them all the way in the dryer.

I did this; after they were pretty much dry, I put them in on fluff/air dry. I think it worked pretty well.

I bleach our underwear, towels, and socks.

Also, I wash pretty much everything in cold water--except underwear and towels; I wash those in warm or hot water.