Menu

Taking DD out of school early to Homeschool. Good idea?

Hi

So i've done my research and now want to go ahead and homeschool. My ds and dd (nearly 6 & 8) are in school. My baby is due in July and we are moving in two or three months (house is getting prepared).

I can let the two finish school in July, enjoy the summer break and officially start in September. OR I am thinking of taking dd out at the end of term (about 6 weeks) to start hs'ing. The reason is that it allows me to ease myself into the whole homeschool thing before the baby arrives. I also accept that she will have to go through a period of 'de-schooling' so i'm not bothered by the move or the baby. I also save around $1300 in fees which can go towards buying curriculum.

However, I *don't* know what it's going to be like. Would it best to keep her in and just wait until July to finish? I really want you experienced homeschoolers to tell me how it really is?

x

That money savings would buy everything that I want for all of next year plus some extra! I would have to say that would be a huge point if it were my family. With all of the changes coming up for your family it may help to adjust to homeschooling earlier rather than waiting. We pulled our oldest out to start midyear, we took a month to "deschool" and started after the holidays. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies guys. She actually wants to leave. I keep dropping her negatives of staying home like leaving her friends, leaving her singing group (she loves this and there's nothing else around here like it) etc etc but she seems happy to stay home.

Tomorrow would be the last day to give in formal notice to get a refund on the term's fees I've already paid (it's $1300 PER term!!).

I think we would enjoy our time together - we could even do a learning project on moving house!

It's just so nerve wrecking though! Any more views for or against?

x

I agree that I would pull her out now unless she is going to be upset about leaving friends, etc. In that case I would be careful that she doesn't have too many changes at once with the move and new baby, etc.

When we first started homeschooling I pulled my middle dd out of school in February of her kindergarten year. Of course she was only 5 so it wasn't a huge deal. Those first few months were a "trial". We had never intended to homeschool but when we became very unhappy with her kindergarten teacher and the way things were going at her school we decided to pull her out and try homeschooling. At the time she had an older sister in 3rd grade that we had complete the school year. At that point we hadn't made the decision to homeschool her.

The first week or so was an adjustment. We were both happy but it just took some getting used to. We were amazed at how much we were able to accomplish in such a short time. Even though she was considered "advanced" I was shocked at how very little they were actually doing in school. By April I had convinced my dh that we should homeschool both girls.

I was happy that we had a few months to adjust before the end of the school year and that we could start fresh the following fall. It gave me a few months to "try it out" before we made a huge commitment.

It is daunting I know and there are advantages and disadvantages. I would say it depends on how you feel dealing with the end of a pregnancy with them all at home.

If you are fine with that then I would start now, there is no advantage to delaying it. If you start now you can start slowly, get her in a routine so that she can continue to do some schooling on her own whilst you are busy with the new baby and then come September you won't feel in such a rush to hit the ground running. I am trying to get ds to be a little more independent even if I am in the same room as he is he can do things on his own. Once the baby comes you will have sorted your curriculum out and read alouds etc can be done whilst you are feeding the baby. etc

Stephanie

Thank you :)

If I pull her out it will be just her and her sister who is 3 at home. This little one attends Montessori twice a week and my sister in law takes her to toddler group on Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays so it will really be me and my dd 7 at home. The hard thing will be to send ds 5 to school. I have talked to him about this and he feels comfortable about his sister leaving before him but i'm sure there will be times he won't want to go and i'm just going to have to deal with that at the time.

My baby is due July 17th and that's when schools break up around here so I'll have them all at home at this time anyway.

I have butterflies in my stomach already, i'm going to have a good think about it today. I think I will write a letter to the Head so that officially I have given in my notice on time otherwise I won't get my money back. Then i'll take a week or so to mull over things.

Another plus is that my friend (Travelbug on here :)) is also taking her dd 5 out at the same time so she's offered to have my dd sometimes which will be great when the big move comes.

Will update soon!!

xx

I pulled my DCs out after Thanksgiving, and was never more terrified in my life! It was a transition, but we did not "de-school". Instead we did heavy duty studying, went on a field trip (to Italy), and enjoyed a long Christmas break. We jumped in January and have been hs'ing ever since.

Because you are moving, pulling them out to hs might even be preferable. It's a natural separation from friends at school. The downside is having DCs home during realtor visits.

Good luck!

I would praise the Lord for taking her out early. The closeness and bond that happens in homeschooling is awesome. They can also experience a new baby, and be there to help mom. God bless, nancyt.

THIS is my inspiration, I have put my faith completely in God in this. I KNOW that when I look back at this time in about ten years, i'll know that I did the right thing. Otherwise all i'll remember is the awful morning scrum to get them all to school on time!!

Thank you to you all, it means a lot to me to have your support :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If she is asking to leave then it is worse than you think. You need to take her out.

I agree with this. That was certainly our experience.

Personally I'd take her out. I totally understand how nerve wracking this decision is!! I was a mess until we actually did it just second guessing myself the whole time. In the end it was the best thing for our family.

And it also helps to remember that homeschooling doesn't have to be forever. You can take a trial period and see how it goes. We started aiming for 6 months. That was 2 years ago and he will never go back and his brother is home now too.

Well, I never had kids in school but I would say that taking them out before the baby is born is a great idea. That gives you time to BE with each other and learn about how your time is going to be managed and all the other wonderful aspects of having the kids home all day. I think if you waited until after the baby was born, then you're looking at too many changes all at once. Just my opinion though!

Good luck and congratulations!

Hi,

I have twin 5 yr. old boys and pulled them out of a "great" school finally at Christmas. My dh and I knew around the first week that things weren't quite right at the school, but we wanted to give it the college try.

I'm glad I gave it enough time to really know that the school was/is a joke, but I wish now that I'd pulled at Thanksgiving instead of Christmas.

I really believe kids have so much wisdom. If they're saying they want out and you feel ready (as if there is such a feeling), then get off the school schedule and pull them out.

You're in a tough spot -- believe me, I was in agony!!

Alicia

Thank you - you've all been great!

Well we took the plunge this morning. I typed up a formal letter and we went to see the Head. She was quite accommodating, particularly as we said we wanted to take dd out as we want to travel next year - which is true but we are undecided. I explained that we would keep our ds in school till July to see how dd's homeschooling went. We also put in a request to keep both children's name on file so that come next year, if homeschooling hasn't worked out, they'll be on a waiting list to go back :confused:. This is really a back up plan as I really don't know how it's all going to be.

The only thing is that we still have to give half a term's notice which means the earliest we can take her out is May 23rd. We will get half the term's fees back. We were ok with this but now not so sure as it really only leaves around 6 weeks till the baby's birth and ds to finish school. However, we should have moved by then so maybe I should just concentrate on de-cluttering my house right now and getting curriculum prepared - i'm so desperate to this so I have all the materials on hand. As much as I won't want to I reckon i'm going to fall into the whole 'school at home' trap! But I promise to try not to.

Wow I never thought it would be this agonising, and it really is. I had a good cry last night. I realised that this isn't a path that I necessarily want to choose but am having to do so as it seems to be the only best thing for my children. I pray for courage and strength and lots of patience to deal with these little people who are totally amazing yet so testing!

thanks again guys :grouphug:

I can really relate to you. Homeschooling was not a path I chose willingly. And the decision to follow that path was accompanied by much angst and tears. Here in Australia homeschooling is far less common than in the US so we really are freaks LOL. But it was something that we did through necessity due to our sons not coping at school.

It has been so much better and more successful than I could have ever imagined. We have our days from hell when I look longingly at the children in their school uniforms walking past the house and wish mine were amongst them. But on those days I hold on to the knowledge of the good days and the benefit our family has derived from this path.

Hang in there!

Hearing that you cried last night broke my heart. Please know that you're not alone. I was so thrilled to find my kid's school: I thought it would be an awesome experience.

And when it wasn't, I didn't know what was wrong with me. Had I done something to my boys to make them not like the school? the teacher? the routine?

Once I got the guts to pull them out, life improved by leaps and bounds. In fact, I grow stronger every day in my resolve that that particular school really was bad for my kids. I wish I could have seen it sooner.

I still may put them back in -- I'm thinking about a Montessori that seems calmer, gentler -- but I don't know.

This hs thing is really phenomenal. It's definitely out of the box and how sad that more people don't have the guts to try it.

Congratulations for taking the first steps!!

Alicia

Pulling kids out of traditional school to homeschool is certainly is a scary jump to make. I lost months of sleep over it. Here are my suggestions to ease the transition.

Try to find a local homeschool group when you get settled into your new home.

Dont worry about schooling two or three months after you have your baby. Get plenty of books and camp out in your bed or on the couch with your kiddos. Theres plenty of time to "catch up" if you feel like your behind, homeschooling is more like a marathon and not a sprint. Slow and steady... dont stress.

The first year is the toughest. Dont expect too much out of yourself. It's quite an adjustment. Balancing housework, school work and alone time can be tricky.

Have fun.

I'd take her out now. And, I wouldn't worry about a "curriculum" for the rest of the year - just read together alot and maybe math facts orally. Don't try to make it "just like school."

:iagree::iagree:

I'd get a copy of Sonlight reading lists, or AmblesideOnline's reading lists, or Books Children Love or Honey for a Child's Heart (both books of reading lists) and just read great books and do math drill for the rest of the year. Make sure she really understands that basic math/place value (you may be surprised what she missed in school) and start with some sort of curriculum in the fall. It'll give you enough time to investigate what might appeal to you. Ask around and try to look at and lay your hands on as much curriculum as possible before you jump into ordering. We have all made costly mistakes with curriculum we have used and then ditched when it didn't work like the testimonials on the website said it would. :-)

Edited by Susan in KY
Adding my $.02