Menu

Purging the house of all HFCS items - anyone else?

Guest Katia

...EVERYTHING we ingest is bad for us in one way or another. Several years back, dh & I even heard of a study that showed that breastfed babies were more likely to develop some types of cancer than bottlefed babies! Not so long ago low-fat or fat-free eating was all the rage. Then it was low-carb. Now it's low-sugar. And so it goes. So I refuse to go overboard whenever yet another study shows that something else is bad for you. I view all these studies the same way I view fashion trends: it's all going to change next year when the new styles/studies come out anyway, so just use a little common sense and dress/eat accordingly.

Edited by ereks mom

Guest Alte Veste Academy
...EVERYHTING we ingest is bad for us in one way or another. Several years back, dh & I even heard of a study that showed that breastfed babies were more likely to develop some types of cancer than bottlefed babies! Not so long ago low-fat or fat-free eating was all the rage. Then it was low-carb. Now it's low-sugar. And so it goes. So I view all these studies the same way I view fashion trends: it's all going to change next year when the new styles/studies come out anyway, so just use common sense and dress/eat accordingly.

You know, I agree with this to a certain extent, like when the powers that be were accusing the beautiful egg of being deadly, or when they warned you away from too many nuts because they have so much fat.

Where I draw my own personal common sense line, however, is where these man-made changes in our food are entering the picture. My common sense tells me that eating food as close to its natural form as possible is the way to go and that the farther you get from the way food was put on earth, the more unnatural and terrible for mankind.

Whether all the HFCS and trans fats being added surreptitiously to our foods is a conspiracy or just greed, I don't know. Greed, mostly, I suspect. Still, I have no interest in highly engineered food.

After doing quite a bit more research on High Fructose Corn Syrup I have decided that it does not belong in our family's diet.at.all.

So, I've spent the morning reading all the labels in our kitchen and tossing into the trash all food products that list HFCS as an ingredient. It's amazing what all this is in, but the most frustrating one was bread. Yep, 100% whole grain bread with all other 'normal' sounding ingredients and there it was..."high fructose corn syrup". Aaarrrggghh!

I brought my bread machine up from a shelf in the basement, made a place for it on my counter-top and we will now have home-made bread. This is a big, big thing for me as I'm not a "Suzy Homemake" type at all; especially in the kitchen.

Anyone else cleaning out the kitchen and swearing-off foods with HFCS? *hoping I'm not the only one*

Yes, I have cleaned out my kitchen of all the HFCS. It's amazing to find out that it's in so many things.

Where I draw my own personal common sense line, however, is where these man-made changes in our food are entering the picture. My common sense tells me that eating food as close to its natural form as possible is the way to go and that the farther you get from the way food was put on earth, the more unnatural and terrible for mankind.

Whether all the HFCS and trans fats being added surreptitiously to our foods is a conspiracy or just greed, I don't know. Greed, mostly, I suspect. Still, I have no interest in highly engineered food.

That's where we draw the line, as well. I think it's easy to target one food group or another, but I think the real problem is that our "food" (or as Michael Pollan calls calls it "food-like substance") is not actually food anymore, but industrial products fabricated to look like something we can recognize as edible. "And that's not good eats." :D

I love real maple syrup, but DH does not like it.

So I have given up making waffles, my syrup oriented specialty, and I don't suggest pancakes ever. This keeps it down to about twice a month, which I guess I can live with.

But really, how could ANYONE like fake syrup better than maple syrup???:glare:

Carol, this strawberry sauce was good on pancakes. It's an Ellie Krieger recipe.

Strawberry sauce:

16 ounces strawberries, fresh or frozen (unsweetened, thawed)

1 teaspoon lemon juice

2 tablespoons maple syrup

Puree strawberries to a chunky puree. Heat them in a small saucepan over a low flame, until they are just warm. Stir in lemon juice and maple syrup.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size about 1/3 cup)

...EVERYHTING we ingest is bad for us in one way or another. Several years back, dh & I even heard of a study that showed that breastfed babies were more likely to develop some types of cancer than bottlefed babies! Not so long ago low-fat or fat-free eating was all the rage. Then it was low-carb. Now it's low-sugar. And so it goes. So I refuse to go overboard whenever yet another study shows that something else is bad for you. I view all these studies the same way I view fashion trends: it's all going to change next year when the new styles/studies come out anyway, so just use a little common sense and dress/eat accordingly.

But in this case HFCS isn't something that occurs in nature. I eat eggs, real butter, red meat in moderation...even bacon. But high fructose corn syrup has been artificially engineered to be both ridiculously sweet and cheap to produce. The chemical composition of HFCS isn't recognized by your body and so has been implicated in insulin resistance (and a greater incidence of diabetes). Since the fructose doesn't trigger a release of insulin, there is no increase in leptin, which is the hormone (I think it's a hormone...must look that up) responsible for a feeling of satiety. Leptin tells your brain to stop eating when you are full. No feeling of satiety leads to overeating. So not only does HFCS make you fat purely from increased caloric intake, it messes with your metabolism and insulin response. It's nasty stuff.

Barb

I'm working on cutting back on hfcs. The first thing to go was the sodas (though dh will never give up his regular Coke/Dr. Pepper... it's just once a week or so here at the house). Then I have been *trying* to find hfcs free bread, which is VERY hard. I'm glad someone else has found that their label changed. I had a certain very expensive kind of bread (I'm not sure which one it was, it's more expensive than Brownberry) I was getting to avoid HFCS, now THERE it is on the label, plain as day. Made me feel like an idiot. So I am going to try my hand at baking bread/rolls. Anybody have a hamburger bun recipe?

We've gone to Vitamin water, regular juice and Kool Aid sweetened at home for our Evil Drink Treat.

I'm trying to cultivate a label-reading habit. Like I just checked our sweetened cereal, luckily it DOESN't have hfcs.

...EVERYHTING we ingest is bad for us in one way or another. Several years back, dh & I even heard of a study that showed that breastfed babies were more likely to develop some types of cancer than bottlefed babies! Not so long ago low-fat or fat-free eating was all the rage. Then it was low-carb. Now it's low-sugar. And so it goes. So I refuse to go overboard whenever yet another study shows that something else is bad for you. I view all these studies the same way I view fashion trends: it's all going to change next year when the new styles/studies come out anyway, so just use a little common sense and dress/eat accordingly.

I understand what you mean about all the studies, but we cleared out all the HFCS along with other allergy triggers. Even a couple of sips of soda will trigger reaction in our youngest children. Elijah's toes and feet develop bluish-red spreading circles and his toes will swell up and become "buzzy" to the point he cannot walk or stand. His fingers will follow suit if he continues to consume any corn, soy or wheat product. Then it all peels and flakes, yuck. Even minute amounts in flavored yogurts and there go their toes. Three of our girls react the same, but not as severely. When we purged the house we realized that the number of products containing HFCS, cornstarch, modified corn starch, and soy are huge! I always knew that cornstarch triggered my own asthma and now that we have control of the ingredients and heightened awareness of all the names these things go by, I am not wheezing and I take no medication unless I catch a bad cold. This is no trend for some of us, said with kindness.

This is really my goal - God made food, not man-engineered. It's just a little creepy for me. I love to bake so it shouldn't be too huge a deal once I get the get going in gear! LOL!

Okay, because we eat Nature's Own bread, I had to go look at the label on their website. You can find them here. 100% whole wheat does not contain HFCS, but the double fiber does (sorry Peek!). Honey Wheat also does, but strangely Honey 7 Grain does not.

Barb

Yes, I am quoting myself :D

It just occured to me...Peek, maybe you're finding the high fiber bread at your dollar store because they're clearing out all the old HFCS-free recipe. It's likely a recent change, no?

I just started the HFCS free binge in my house. I was so infuriated reading all the labels of everything - what a bunch of crap and preservatives in everything! I mean - the basics - crackers, tortillas, etc. Not even the hard processed stuff (yes - crackers are - but I am looking for basics). Can you buy a tortilla that my 7 year old would be able to read the label? It's frustrating. Time to learn to make tortillas!

Tortillas are super easy to make. I can't find my recipe so I'll just give it to you the way I cook.

3 cups of flour (can be whole wheat)

some salt (maybe a tsp)

1/4 - 1/2 cup butter

water (I can't remember, just use enough to make a dough ball)

Mix the dry ingredients. Cut the butter in with a knife or pastry cutter. Mix in water until you get a dough ball.

Seperate the ball until about 10-12 small balls. Roll each tortilla into a circle (good luck with that, I have all different shapes of tortillas). Cook on an ungresed skillet. I usually turn mine on low heat and cook until the first side bubbles, turn tortilla and cook about 1 minute longer.

Kelly

I was raised 100% homemade and my kiddos have always been hfcs free. Rarely, they'll will get a soda when we go out to eat or the movies. Other than that, I don't buy very many processed foods or drinks, so it's easy. If you try and cut it out and eat the same organic premade foods, your grocery bill will triple, at least. I'm proud of you!!!! It's not easy, but it's 100% doable........Kind-of like homeschooling~;)

My fantastic tortilla recipe is:

2 cups flour

1 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup oil (i use e.v. olive oil)

1/2 cup water

Mix flour and salt, add oil and then water.

It's quick in a food processor.

Divide into lemon size balls, put in a bowl and cover with a towel for 15-20 minutes, or until your ready to roll them out.

Cook for a minute or so on both sides.

A skillet or griddle works great.

It does not need to be oiled~

To make the tortillas soft, wet a kitchen towel, drape it halfway over a dinner plate and fold the torilla inside after cooking it. Add as you go, and if the towel starts to dry out, just sprinkle a little more water on the towel.

(I usually turn my stack halfway through cooking, towel and all, to keep them super soft.)

They will steam and fold without cracking!

You can double, triple or quadruple this easily.

For our family of 5, I triple it and we have tortillas for 3-4 meals.

They store nicely in a large ziploc bag, AFTER they have cooled off.

I'm trying to go HFCS free. I love the info about Mexican cokes! I'm artificial sweetener free but still drink regular coke on occassion. But what about ice cream? My family loves ice cream. Without making homemade all the time, what kinds are actually good.

I just checked the three flavors of Publix premium ice cream I have here - and no HFCS. (The less expensive lowfat ice cream has it but not the yummy premium brands!) If you don't have Publix - check your "premium" store brands - you may be surprised. (And Publix still gives you a full half-gallon!!)

Yes, the item that shocked me the most to find HFCS on the label was diced tomatoes! It didn't even occur to look at the vegetables on my initial purge.

Arrgghh! Thanks for the 'heads-up' on this one. Who would have guessed?

<going to the pantry to check the diced tomatoes....with steam coming out of my ears!>

I think I'm going to go this route too. I'm going to the store today to find jelly and hopefully instant oatmeal without it. Bread will be next after we finish what we have.

I'm also hoping for a change in behavior after eliminating HFCS. I already know that sugar amps Becca up to unmanageable levels.

Carol, this strawberry sauce was good on pancakes. It's an Ellie Krieger recipe.

Strawberry sauce:

16 ounces strawberries, fresh or frozen (unsweetened, thawed)

1 teaspoon lemon juice

2 tablespoons maple syrup

Puree strawberries to a chunky puree. Heat them in a small saucepan over a low flame, until they are just warm. Stir in lemon juice and maple syrup.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size about 1/3 cup)

Oh, Yum! This looks good. I think my new Magic Bullet will work nicely for the the whole recipe (using the microwave instead of the stove), and my ds LOVES both strawberries and maple syrup. Win-win.

Thank you SOO much!

A big thanks to you gals that posted the tortilla recipes. They are next on my list to make!

Right now, I have bread baking and the house smells SOOOOOO unbelievably yummy. Last night I made brown rice (cooked in beef stock) with pinto beans, diced tomatoes, flavored with a bit of mustard and agave nectar, along with a tossed salad. Dh was one happy camper.

Dh LOVES coming home to a house that smells like good food. This home-cooking could have benefits in other areas as well, ladies.....;)

<off to bake some whole wheat pumpkin cookies with honey and molasses>

Katia said: "After doing quite a bit more research on High Fructose Corn Syrup I have decided that it does not belong in our family's diet.at.all.

<snip>

Anyone else cleaning out the kitchen and swearing-off foods with HFCS? *hoping I'm not the only one* "

We got rid of HFCS about three years ago, when we went gluten- and casein-free. So, you're not alone.

It's hard, but you'll figure out which brands have no HFCS.

Hugs,

Lisa

For those of you looking for diced tomatoes not containing HFCS: mine are Great Value from WalMart and they do NOT contain HFCS. Yeah! Plus, they were pretty inexpensive as well.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I really appreciate it and it certainly does help!

We are also working on purging white sugar, white flour and hydrogenated oils. I think I've got rid of all of it, except for just a few items with white sugar.

Actually, we did this about 5 years ago (just not the HFCS), but it seems to creep back in somehow.......hoping to stay on track this time. :tongue_smilie:

We have been pretty much clean of the stuff for quite some time. That's not to say that it never gets in, but we try to be careful.

Cokes have been my weakness too, especially since I started working part-time. It's just too available. I'm really weeding those out again now.

I just want to add a big thank-you for the mention of, "Fatland." I've not read it, and it sounds right up my alley, so I went right to Amazon to order it. And then, in order to get free shipping (and save $4), I thought I'd add the "Omnivore's Dilemma" because I haven't read it. But I wasn't up to $25 yet so I added a Disney guide for '09 to plan our trip. Bottom line is I spent $34 so thanks! :tongue_smilie:

So I refuse to go overboard whenever yet another study shows that something else is bad for you. .... it's all going to change next year when the new styles/studies come out anyway, so just use a little common sense and dress/eat accordingly.

This is pretty much where we are too. That's why any changes I make I consider "gravy" and not essential. ;) It was probably Barb's explanation of HFCS that made the most sense to me, but even w/ that, I still can't rile myself up to a level even close to "infuriating" lol. It's more like a game, and I mostly limit it to stuff we eat "a lot." My oldest has been making tortillas using Hillbilly housewife's site. I'll give him the other recipes and turn it into a lab ;)

Yes, I am quoting myself :D

It just occured to me...Peek, maybe you're finding the high fiber bread at your dollar store because they're clearing out all the old HFCS-free recipe. It's likely a recent change, no?

I dunno --I had never bothered checking the bread section at the dollar store until a couple months ago. I thought it might be a one-time thing so i didn't check back till i happened to be in there and saw more. Again! yay.

I did double check the label: Nature's Own, 16 grams of Whole Grain, All Natural, Double Fiber Wheat. No HFCS. "raisin juice concentrate" explains a lot tho, lol! The packaging looks the same --maybe [like the Del Monte ketchup thing?] it depends on where the product is packaged?? I'll keep watching tho.

So if they are clearing it out, they are taking a looong time to do it......

I noticed the tomatoes thing too -- but never had a problem finding them HFCS-free at WalMart ;)