Menu

Are heart palpitations a big deal?

I went to the Dr. for this afew years ago and he told me I was having panic attacks. I never did feel completely comfortable with that diagnosis, I found it somewhat dismissive as I had no other symptoms and they'd occur at odd times when I wasn't even doing anything in particular (sitting at home reading, for example). However... the palpitations did stop a few days later so I never pursued it further.

Looking back I do wonder if it was hormonal/chemical imbalance related as I did start experiencing other peri-menopausal symptoms soon after.

Could be dehydration actually. Me personally I got tons of palpitations at the onset of my twin-pregnancy (due to the pregnancy) and got them thereafter in the pregnancy when dehydrated. I ended up being tested with a holter-diagram (I think it was called?) and it was determined my sinus-rhytms were fine.

I would get it checked out. It can be a sign of problems - but not necessarily something serious. In my case the cardiologist told me it was hormonal. And then I discovered that in my case magnesium supplements makes it go away. I've take magnesium in a couple of different ways: in a Cal-Mag supplement that I took before bed (it relaxes you). And also by taking epsom salt baths. Dissolve 2 c. of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in a warm bath and soak. The magnesium is absorbed through your skin that way.

When this hapened to me, the doc had me wear a Holter (sp?) moniter for 24 hours, and everything turned out to be fine. Two weeks later, guess what? Two purple lines on the pregnancy test strip..... +++++ !!!

Is it possible you are pregnant? Or with a near one year old, perhaps your hormones are just settling down. Get it checked out, just for your own peace of mind. It is your one and only heart, after all.

Ditto to what everyone said. I had these during a severe bout of postpartum anxiety about three years ago, and I got it checked out pretty thoroughly, and the cardiologist said it was not a sign of anything bad. I find mild exercise helps a bit with them. I understand it is possible for those to be a sign of something bad, but they can tell pretty easily with a few simple tests. Most of the time it's just hormonal, it seems.

Nealy

Did this happen when you were pregnant at all? Is it possibly you may be pregnant??

I only get them during pregnancies. It is called PVC. I would call your dr and let them know you are getting these palpitations.

Holly

Edited by Holly IN
goofed up a bit

I get PVC's even when I'm not pregnant. They are scary but totally benign. I do sometimes get anxiety attacks and it seems anxiety is a trigger for pvc's and pvc's can be a trigger for panic attacks. :001_huh:

Doesn't hurt to get checked out (actually, you should get them checked out!) but don't overly worry about them (because, worrying about them will make them worse! :eek:)

If you are having chest pains, nausea, or difficulty breathing then get yourself to the hospital. If you feel like your heart is skipping, or a little flutter, or you have an extra beat or 2, then just call your doctor and get checked out. :)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Have you been having more caffeine than usual? How about taking sinus medicines like Sudafed? Those will cause palpitations for me; I haven't had caffeinated beverages or any sudafed-like decongestant since ds was a toddler. I had been having lots of sinus problems, and taking decongestant regularly. I ended up being so bothered by palpitations that I went to the ER. It was PVCs, triggered by the stimulant.

Wendi

There are so many different causes of this, that you really should be seen by a doctor. Mine ended up being SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) requiring cardiac ablation. Not exactly the sort of thing I had anticipated having done when I was 35! It's been a year since the procedure, and I've never had another problem.

A cardiologist can perform tests to determine the severity, cause, etc.

There are so many different causes of this, that you really should be seen by a doctor. Mine ended up being SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) requiring cardiac ablation. Not exactly the sort of thing I had anticipated having done when I was 35! It's been a year since the procedure, and I've never had another problem.

A cardiologist can perform tests to determine the severity, cause, etc.

That's what I have too. I'm scheduled for an ablation in May. How quickly did you recover from the ablation? I'm having mine done on a friday, and I'm hoping my husband will be at work on the monday after that.

Also, the cardiologist and electrophysiologist both said the SVT will be cured but the PVC's are normal and there is no procedure to correct them (which I find worse than the tachycardia!)

Could be hormonal or thyroid related (hyperthyroid). Could also be a response to food additives like msg(in nearly everything), fd&c#5(tartrazine), food coloring, caffeine. Liquid magnesium is fast acting and is an absolute must to have in the house when you suffer from palpitations.

Okay, in the past hour this has been happening every 10 minutes just for a few seconds. If I didn't have a breastfed baby with no pumped milk in the freezer, then I would go to the walk in clinic right now. I'm sorta freaked out. Someone please tell me that even when they are happening this frequently, I'm not going to have a heart attack in the night. I mean, if it's a true emergency, then yes, I'll leave the baby and go to the doc. Dh will just have to feed him yogurt or get a friend to bring over some milk or something....

Sweetie, I don't want to worry you, but you need to call your doctor IMMEDIATELY. NOW. PRONTO.

Nursing babies will survive for a bit without you. Your family needs you...and just in case this is something serious, you need to either talk to a doc or get to one right away so that you can find out what's wrong and get it fixed.

If you cannot reach your doctor, or if you don't have one, please go to a clinic. Right away.

Ria

Too often, instead of seeking help for medical problems, women turn to friends and/or discount/downplay symptoms. I am not an alarmist, and "heart palpatations" may be nothing. Or they may be something. I have heard stories that go both ways. I second the opinion to at least call your doctor for a check up and talk to her/him about your symptoms.

I also thought this would be the perfect thread to bring up the fact that heart disease is the number one killer of women in the US. We all have risk factors. Some we can control or treat (obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, smoking, low physical activity, etc.) some we cannot control or treat (age, genetics, stress, prior stroke, etc.).

Here is a website for those of you who are more interested in how to combat this No. 1 killer, how to get the word out to other women about how to reduce their risks, and some very interesting facts.

http://www.goredforwomen.org/live_heart_healthy.aspx

Let's help each other stay healthy so fewer women die of heart disease.

Okay, in the past hour this has been happening every 10 minutes just for a few seconds. If I didn't have a breastfed baby with no pumped milk in the freezer, then I would go to the walk in clinic right now. I'm sorta freaked out. Someone please tell me that even when they are happening this frequently, I'm not going to have a heart attack in the night. I mean, if it's a true emergency, then yes, I'll leave the baby and go to the doc. Dh will just have to feed him yogurt or get a friend to bring over some milk or something....

I think, for peace of mind and extra precaution, you should go to a doctor now, WHILE THEY ARE HAPPENING, because what is going to happen, is you will see the doctor and they will tell you that they need to see them and you'll end up with a holter monitor. So if you go now, you will have a strip to show a cardiologist.

Honestly, it is probably nothing......but since you have been having them so frequently for the past hour, I would get it checked out. If only just for peace of mind.

I just went for an echocardiogram this morning. My doctor heard a heart murmur a few weeks ago and I have been having palpitations frequently over the last few weeks. The tech said she saw nothing to worry about. She actually didn't even see the murmur anymore.

I've had heart palpitations on and off since I was about 18 years old (I'm 28 now). I believe some of it is anxiety related. I'm a very high strung person. I actually went to the ER when I was 18 years old and it happened. They hooked me up to an EKG and sent me for an Echo and all was fine.

Another time it happened alot was when I entered the second trimester of my first pregnancy. But I think that was due to increased blood flow. It quit after about a day and a half.

Another time it got really bad was after the birth of my second child. I was hyperthyroid and got palpitations.

This last time.....for the last few weeks....my doctor told me I could be dehydrated. They did lots of blood work, an EKG, and an echocardiogram and everything looks good. It can happen if you do not drink enough water.

Also, the doctor told me you can have a panic attack at any time. You can have one when you are sitting doing nothing. He said that he sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night with panic attacks.

I hope that you get it figured out. Keep us updated.

The only time I get them like that is when I'm off my hyperthyroid medicine too long. But even when I get them frequently I don't get them the way you are now.

It could be something very simple and easily managed. It could be something very serious. If you have someone to watch the kids, go ahead and get to the clinic.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

I get them from caffeine, alcohol and not drinking enough water. My doctor didn't seem too concerned about them, I agree with the others that say to call your doctor. If it's nothing, you're not out anything from going, but if it's something you'll be glad you went.

Jumpin in Puddles:

I was very sore on my groin for a few days (where they insert the wires), and you do have to lie still for a few hours afterward, but I went home the next day and felt great. Be sure to take Tylenol after the procedure -- it helps.

I will always have an irregular heart beat, which seemed really noticeable after the procedure but has faded away (I got used to it again).

The urinary catheter was one of my least favorite parts, and the actual burning of the heart was painful to me, but it is an amazing procedure. I am very thankful for it!

I've been having heart palpitations about 10 -12 times a day for the past 3 days. Normally it only happens about once a week or less. Should I be worried? I feel fine otherwise but have no clue if this is a sign of something more serious or if I can go on ignoring it. Anybody know?

I went to the Dr. for this afew years ago and he told me I was having panic attacks. I never did feel completely comfortable with that diagnosis, I found it somewhat dismissive as I had no other symptoms and they'd occur at odd times when I wasn't even doing anything in particular (sitting at home reading, for example). However... the palpitations did stop a few days later so I never pursued it further.

Looking back I do wonder if it was hormonal/chemical imbalance related as I did start experiencing other peri-menopausal symptoms soon after.

I didn't read the other replies. I went through EKG's and etc. the doc could find nothing wrong other than the fast rate and lowered my thyroid dose (which did not need to be lowered). I even had some chest pains, but I have had pleurosy (inflamation of the lining of the lung) and various joint/muscle problems, so we chalked it up to that.

A year later I went to a natural doctor and had an electrodermal scan (based on accupuncture meridians). I was deficient in potassium (could not digest it properly) and my heart was very weak and heading for a heart attack. The homeopathic treatment worked. No more palpatations, and less breathlessness.

It can also be high thyroid or low adrenals, hypoglycemia (which is usually connected to adrenals), panic attacks (ditto), mytral valve prolapse, dehydration or anemia, and I am sure some other explanations that I am not aware of.

If you do not go while it is happening, they won't find it. I have a friend with severe allergy induced asthma. If she makes a typical doctor's appt for asthma, she tests negative for it.

HTH

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Thanks everyone for your concern and for letting me vent my fears a bit on this thread. I did not go to see a doctor last night, because the palpitations lessened and I really feel silly going in for something minor and my instincts are telling me that the doctor is really only going to tell me to get healthy. My heart is probably mostly fat and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm at least 60 lbs overweight and my diet isn't so great. I'm going to make an appointment with a doc for next week and in the meantime get serious about losing weight. I have a membership to a gym for both myself and my teen daughter and they have an excellent child care room, so there is no reason NOT to be working out almost daily.

I'm sorry if I came across as whiny or neurotic, lol! I don't want to be "that woman" on any message board, kwim?

It's probably things you can take care of easily but definitely go to the doctor.

Like previous posters said, anxiety can set off palpitations which cause further anxiety and more palpitations. A doctor's appointment will hopefully eliminate the need for unnecessary anxiety.

I've had palpitations a lot in the past, during pregnancy but especially while nursing. I've had many tests but none could tell me that anything was wrong or why they were happening. I noticed it was worse when I was tired but that's all. The best I could do was to get enough rest and stay hydrated. I also started to realize I was a lot better, but not perfect when I was taking my prenatals with fish oil. Then I started taking a calcium supplement with magnesium and zinc, and they have gone away. I almost never get PVC's or a racing heart anymore. I don't know when the last time I had one was, and I used to have them everyday. It's been a miracle for me. The only clue I ever had was in the emergency room when they told me once that one of my electrolytes was low, but they didn't specify anymore than that. If I was in my right mind, I would have asked but I was so worried about my nursing infant.