Menu

7 yr old dd has a full leg cast - any suggestions for fun, educational movies?

prim*rose

We can't go anywhere for the next month, so I thought I'd see if anyone has some great movie suggestions. We did watch Bride & Prejudice on the recommendation of some on this board and LOVED it. We'd love some more Bollywood, if anyone has recommendations for that. It's going to be a long month, and we have lots of time :)

Thanks!

Amy

Here are some Bollywood movies we've enjoyed: Mujhse Dosti Karoge, Vivah, Bunty Aur Babli, Kal Ho Naa Hoo: Tomorrow May Never Come, Jab We Met, Parineeta, Om Shanti Om, Umrao Jaan, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Mr & Mrs Iyer, Water. The last few on that list may be too old for her, depending on what you're comfortable with (they'd probably be around a PG-13 rating, though there's nothing graphic & they're excellent films)...DH is from India so we watch quite a lot of Bollywood, but my kids generally hate it so I can't tell you for sure what she'd like. All of these are also subtitled, btw, except Water I believe.

Maybe "The Art of Knitting 4 Kids?" She could learn a new skill...unless she already knows how to knit. When our eldest dd broke her leg she was nearly three. She enjoyed a few videos(vhs), playdough and cookie cutters, and storybooks. She wasn't on the couch more than a few days before she was hobbling around the house. We hope that your dd heals quickly:grouphug:

And when my son was around 4 he broke his elbow and ankle - long story! But we borrowed a wagon from the neighbors - you know, one of those big yellow plastic ones - I threw in a bunch of pillows and we went for long, long walks to help break up the boredom factor. BUt when he was bed-bound, at first, I got a cardboard box and covered the sides with fun wrapping paper and every day after lunch I'd place it beside him in bed to explore whatever I put in it...sometimes a new toy, sometimes old toys he hadn't played with in a while, books from the library, etc.

Good luck,

Myra

Animated Hero Classics and Schlessenger media videos we have gotten from our library or library connections. Anything and everything educational you can think of! They have ages on them (k-3). Look up Schlessenger media on google and then go to the first one - libraryvideo.com and just scoll down. The topics are awesome. I get the names from this site and then check them out from the library.

Most available on netflix

Blue planet

Life of birds

Planet earth

March of the penguins

Life in the freezer

Meerkat manor- buy on ituneS

Pollyanna- not educational but good

Sense and sensibility- the one with Kate winslet

Ben hur

I also am a Big fan of burns documentaries but they often quite suddenly have details a seven year old cannot handle but if you are willing to preview with hubby and then use remote to skip they are great. My kids loved lewis and Clark by ken burns.

Liberty's Kids. We've never seen them on t.v., but read about them here. I checked our library and they had the DVD set that just came out late last year. We could only have it for 2 weeks, but we managed to see all 40 episodes in 2 weeks. My girls loved it! And dh and I watched most of it too and learned a lot. If you want to invest in it, I think it's about $45 at Amazon.

Youtube. Look up any subject that you like and you can usually find a educational video to watch! I do all our Magic School Bus, Bill Nye, Schoolhouse Rock and the like on there, right on the classroom computer. We saw sights from Ancient Egypt and the Vatican this week. Best thing is that they are free and you don't have to leave home to get them!

Of course, you have to supervise a bit or your kids may get an education of a different sort! ;) I'd not let my kids search it themselves.