Menu

wow. We wear shoes in our house, but I'd say at least half of my friends prefer that people don't wear shoes in theirs. I try to pay attention to who cares and who doesn't and behave accordingly. I do think it's kind of a pain to take my shoes off plus have 3 kids take theirs off, but I don't think it's rude to be asked (actually, I'm rarely asked; I just try to observe the clues). Then again, I don't have any carpet downstairs in my house; if I did, I might well be cringing every time we had a playdate here. I dream of the day when we can replace the upstairs carpet, too. I loathe carpet.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand if people don't care if people wear shoes in their own houses or not, but I think to get so upset to be asked to remove their shoes at someone elses house seems like a lot of wasted emotion to me. (Just coming from someone who really doesn't care one way or the other.)

I wouldn't be *upset* --i just wouldn't return if it was expected that i take my shoes off each time. That's the only point *I* was making because return visits seemed to be pretty important to the OP. Kinda like I can't imagine being upset at dirt on the floor in the house --THAT seems like wasted emotion to me ;)

and I'm guessing that if your dh is learning to use the steam cleaner "quite well" you probably DO care a bit more one way than you do the other. :D

This is interesting. I read the first page and the last 2 pages--what a difference! Everyone started out saying it's not rude and not a problem, in fact, it's smart! These last two pages have been saying how it IS rude to others, and that this message shouldn't have been started in the first place! Not sure what transpired in all these posts to make the changes! ;)

well, the bazillion posts that you missed explained a lot: weather, carpet, emotions, etc, etc, .......

:D

I don't know if we've talked about the fact that some people think it is rude if you DO take off your shoes in their home. They think you're making yourself much too comfortable. What next? Loosen that top jean button? Start rummaging in your cupboards? :D

And all this reminded me of a woman I knew as a child - when I went to pick up her dd to walk to school with, she would lay down a newspaper for me to stand on and wait by the front door. The thing is, we lived in a highrise. All I had done was walk three flights of stairs down.... and I assure you my mother wouldn't have let me out of our home in dirty shoes.

Ah well.

Someone I know used to have a great sig line: People are weird. There are no exceptions.

Threads like this one just make that very clear :001_smile:

I wouldn't be *upset* --i just wouldn't return if it was expected that i take my shoes off each time. That's the only point *I* was making because return visits seemed to be pretty important to the OP. Kinda like I can't imagine being upset at dirt on the floor in the house --THAT seems like wasted emotion to me ;)

and I'm guessing that if your dh is learning to use the steam cleaner "quite well" you probably DO care a bit more one way than you do the other. :D

Well, truthfully, I think family members are different from guests. My dh knows I'd prefer him to take his shoes off before he comes in the house. Normally it's not an issue. However, it always seems to be when he's doing yard work or it's raining outside and he's just going to "run in" real quick to grab something that he tracks in muddy, wet gunk. And, he knows it's his fault and he gets the steam cleaner out himself. I've never had to ask him, he just does it to be nice. (I married a good man.)

But, for the OP, if it's a church type of thing and people got a little dressed up to come, and wore dressy shoes, I wouldn't even think twice about people leaving their shoes on.

I'll say one more thing...if my kids or myself tracked in muddy footprints into another persons home, I'd be just as embarrased as if my kids pulled out crayons and started to draw on the person's walls. But I totally admit I've been brainwashed by my grandmother, so take it for what it's worth. :lol:

Edited by Katrina

We had an event happen over the wknd., relating to shoes. It was pouring here MOnday and I scheduled a Internet guy to come on that day on the previous Friday, he knew it was going to rain. I asked him to come other days he said No.

We have a no shoes rule, but I didnt want him dragging mud through house upstairs. Internet is upstairs and on roof, so I made him go on ladder through balcony, plus I had plastic down on carpet upstairs. In case muddy. Well he got all tiffy on Monday because he couldnt walk through house.

Big whopping deal. My house, my rules, take em or leave em. I am a no shoes gal and not changing anytime soon.

Our cable company has a policy that they're repair guys must slip plastic booties on over their boots before entering a house. Might be something you could reccomend to yours.

I would ask someone from my church family to come and run my steam cleaner over the carpets on a regular basis. Oh wait, you've got wool. Is that not steam-cleaner-friendly? Anyway, I'd just pull aside someone I trusted and say something along the lines of the following:

"Hey, listen, I'm really looking forward to hosting everyone here, but I'm kind of in a pickle. I'm really swamped with taking care of my mom and homeschooling the kids. This is going to sound silly, but I'm trying to figure out how to keep the carpets clean with so many people here on a regular basis. What would you suggest?"

We have never worn shoes in our house. You pick up lots of gross stuff on the bottom of your shoes and I don't want that all over my floors. ie public restrooms, etc.

I don't ask people to remove their shoes unless they are wearing high heels because it does put a dent in my wood floors with each step. Also, if you have gravel/rocks stuck to your shoes it will scratch and dent your wood floors. My children are great at asking people to check the bottom of their shoes and say "Mom makes us check ours!"

I think it's totally fine to ask them to take off their shoes. And, just for the ones with holey socks, you might put out fresh socks or something like it.

I'm not an uber clean person by any means, but I trained my kids early to take off their shoes in an attempt to keep my carpets reasonably clean.

Go for it!

Alicia

I really feel for you with your wanting to have people take their shoes off, but it's not going to be easy for everyone. I'm a Canadian who lived in PA and MN for 6 1/2 years. We always take our shoes off. I find it really gross when people wear shoes in my house. In MN, this was not a problem, because people just automatically took their shoes off. In PA, though, I rarely had people over because I wasn't comfortable with them wearing their shoes, and it was obvious that my guests weren't comfortable without them. I couldn't reconcile the discomfort either of us felt, so I just didn't entertain.

We're back in Canada now, so it's no longer an issue.

Good luck, Lana.