Menu

Have YOU read Eragon?

I read the first one, and enjoyed it well enough. I found that I could tell that a teen had written it, not because the writing was "poor," but rather b/c all of the characters had the same "voice." No one had any linguistic quirks or dialects that couldn't be found in any of the other characters. As the PP said, fun, just not "great." :)

I think he was 19 when he published the first book (or when it reached the NY Times best seller list) in 2003. The cover flap on the book said he graduated highschool when he was 15...so I assume he probably was homeschooled.

Either way, I am really diggin' it. LOL I also like Sci-fi fantasy type books. I have never been one for murder mysteries and the like. I like to totally escape this world when I read. :)

Was homeschooled. Wrote Eragon when he was 15. The family self-published it. Then someone important (or someone important's son) read the self-published book and things started happening. The entire process took years. Read more about it here http://www.alagaesia.com/christopherpaolini.htm

Really is inspirational for homeschoolers.

Was homeschooled. Wrote Eragon when he was 15. The family self-published it. Then someone important (or someone important's son) read the self-published book and things started happening. The entire process took years. Read more about it here http://www.alagaesia.com/christopherpaolini.htm

Really is inspirational for homeschoolers.

Wow! That is absolutely fascinating!!! I always wanted to be a writer growing up and, at 15, I was pretty decent, but I could have NEVER written something like Eragon. WOW.

I've read all 3. Really enjoyed the first one, enjoyed the second one - the third one notsomuch. :001_huh: I'm another fantasty/sci-fi reader, so these are right up my alley. :)

I know, I know -- the movie is never as good as the book! ER read the book(s) and really likes them, so maybe I'll read them sometime.

eeewwww, this is definitely one where the movie was not even in the same zip code as the book. The movie (as far as representing the BOOK) was horrible. lol Truly horrid. They changed... well... a LOT of things because the movie producers main concern was to make sure that Eragon the Movie didn't look anything like LOTR. So, they made all kinds of changes (important things were changed for no reason!), which were ridiculous. :001_huh: In fact, a lot of those changes made it virtually impossible/implausible for there to be a sequel that follows the next 2 books. Ugh. The way magic was used, injuries that were sustained (and important to future books) didn't happen in the movie, important characters that should have been introduced at the end didn't even make an appearance (making it hard to begin the next movie where it should begin...), one character leaves at the end of the movie (again, making it virtually impossible for the next movie to begin where it should), they killed off (iirc) two characters that should've lived, even! UGH

It was just as bad as the 3rd (I think??) Anne of Avonlea movie where Anne was traipsing around Europe during the war with strange men falling in love with her. LOL

so - in this case - you definitely have toread the book. lol It's a whole different experience (or listen to the very well-read audio version - it's fantastic!).

Edited by orangearrow

I am reading the book and already seeing the differences. For instance, Brom is an old man with white hair and a long white beard. In the movie, he is in his 40's with black hair. LOL Eragon's uncle doesn't die immediately (as in the movie, he finds him dead in the stable area. In the book, he finds him badly burned and buried under rubble but frees him and gets him to town to the healer where he dies later) and Brom does not set the fire and they do not ride off on horses. I mean, just 100 pages in I see a ton of differences. :(

I thought the first book was really good. Not great but a good read (I agree with the pp who said the characters didn't have different "voices". I couldn't put my finger on what it was exactly that wasn't appealing and I think that was it).

Second book was good. I just finished the third and liked it way less than the other two books - if it had been my call I would have edited a ton of stuff right out of the third book. It just felt like it was never going to end :D