Menu

Do you think it's safe to drape something over a lamp with a very low wattage bulb?

That sounds like the dumbest question ever, I know. We use 5-watt bulbs (maybe 7-watt?) in the bedside lamps in the girls' rooms. They generate so little heat that you can literally hold them in your hands after they've been burning for a long time and not be uncomfortable at all. They just feel a little warm. But it's still freaking me out, and they need to have some kind of night light on in their rooms.

The problem is, all the outlets are covered in both rooms, so I can't put in the typical plug-in night lights. There are only two outlets in each room. In DD6's room, the necessary furniture placement blocks the outlets, and in DD3's room, the furniture is strategically placed to block the outlets, because she WILL fiddle with them :glare: So I'm left with the covering of the bedside lamps.

Do you think it's horribly unsafe to cover the lamps like that, even with the cool bulbs? Is there some other spark hazard I'm unaware of? Can anyone offer any other kind of night light option? I've seem some plug-in tabletop versions, but they were as bright as the bedside lights are, and that's too bright for good sleep.

TIA!

Could you use an extension cord and plug a night light into it on top of a dresser? I'm not sure about the cloth on the lamps. I'd be worried about it getting too warm after a long time. Have you checked the cloth in the morning after the light's been on all night? If it isn't even warm I wouldn't worry about it. Also, maybe use a fire retardant material on the lamp to make it safer.

I hope one of the ideas help.:tongue_smilie:

No closet lights here (teeny closets, no need *sigh*) and leaving the doors open is an invitation to trouble (plus, they can hear everything in the living room from their rooms), so that won't work. But hmmmm, the tap light is a great idea! And so is the extension cord, if all else fails.

Awesome, I knew the Hive mind would have some ideas. The cloth is always cool--you literally have to have your hand on the bulb to feel any warmth at all, but still, Carol, I feel the same way you do. We've actually done this for years, but it's recently started bothering me enough to think about alternatives.

Thank you all!

I saw a night light somewhere (Home Depot, maybe?) where the night-light was also an outlet (it plugged in but had holes in it so that you could plug something else in on top of it). Something like that might work.

I like the battery powered tap-light idea too.

The problem is more the accessibility of the outlets to the 3-year-old. If I left one exposed, she would eventually try to experiment with it. Right now they're blocked by a low dresser and a low bookshelf. And in DD6's room, with the way her room is set up, the outlets are sort of necessarily blocked by the furniture. Apparently, electrical outlets were a lot less necessary in the 60s!

If it is a 5watt bulb, why do you need it darker?

You can buy night light bulbs that fit regular sockets. I would just use one of those instead of covering the lamp. I have also seen 3-way bulbs that go down to a 'night light' brightness....but that sounds like it would still be too bright for you.

Dd has a lamp with a purple shade, it really reduces the amount of light in the room.

Are any of the plug ins on the room's main switch? Can you install a dimmer on the switch?

Dd10 has a sting of bug lights that are basically a string of Christmas lights, they are no brighter than a night light. We have an extension cord that has a lit, step on switch. It makes it easy to turn them off and on without unplugging them.

Can you move the lamp to another place in the room. When dd had her lamp in her bookcase, it was a lot dimmer.

Dd has a plug in flashlight that recharges during the day that she uses for a night light in the library if she sleeps in there. It works great and has lasted forever. We use it for a night light in the hallway when she isn't using it.

If your child is too young to understand safety with a socket, they won't understand to not cover bulbs in the rest of the house or possibly at a friend's house. I think that this could put a dangerous idea in dd's head.

If it is a 5watt bulb, why do you need it darker?

You would be amazed at how bright a 5-watt bulb is in a dark room. And really, any light in a room subtly disrupts sleep cycles. When I've accidentally left DD3's light uncovered, I can hear on the monitor how much more restless she is. DD6 doesn't seem like she's been sleeping too well lately, which is what started me thinking about the whole issue again anyway.

You made very good points, by the way. I'm going to keep researching it. I like the tap light idea, but I realized that that's going to kill us on batteries. I found these guys while I was researching just now, and we have an Amazon gift card to use. DD6 is in a "monsters in the closet" phase right now, so I think this cute little thing might help with that a little. DD3's actually been wanting it darker in her room, which prompted me to put something darker over her lamp, which started me worrying more, etc. I could probably put this in the closet with the door cracked when it's fully charged--the reviews say it easily lasts all night.

Those two rooms don't have overhead lights installed. I wouldn't mind a dimmer, but I don't think that would be any darker than the 5-watt is, and the odds of installation actually getting done around here anytime soon are slim.

The little Mobi guy might do the trick. I think I'll order him tomorrow, after I do a little more searching.

Edited by melissel

Night lights ARE 7 watts (I used to have some 4 watt bulbs, about 10 years ago, but haven't found more since then.) So, trying to get a nightlight to fit somewhere won't make any difference. You'll still have the same light.

Can you color, or cover (not a drape, if you're worried, but permanently cover the shades with darker fabric (leaving it open on top), or change the lampshades?

Could you try another approach altogether? Instead of having a night light in their room, could you just have one in the bathroom? Then they could see to get there in the night and also sleep better without light disturbing their sleep.

I had a night light in my room until I was around 11, and it wasn't until I actually slept in the complete darkness that I slept well. Having a light on didn't reduce any anxiety I felt. I was afraid of what was in the closet, or the hallway, or under the bed, even with the light. I had to learn that looking there before going to bed was the way to feel safer, not having a light on.

I just wouldnt risk it. I'm paranoid about stuff like that.

We have one of these and it is really neat! It can even come off the base so that you can carry it on mid-night potty breaks too.

http://www.amazon.com/MOBI-70175-TykeLight-Portable-GloMate/dp/B001HKPHYQ

Hey, that's what I posted above! Or did you see that and were just chiming in? :D

Could you try another approach altogether? Instead of having a night light in their room, could you just have one in the bathroom? Then they could see to get there in the night and also sleep better without light disturbing their sleep.

I had a night light in my room until I was around 11, and it wasn't until I actually slept in the complete darkness that I slept well. Having a light on didn't reduce any anxiety I felt. I was afraid of what was in the closet, or the hallway, or under the bed, even with the light. I had to learn that looking there before going to bed was the way to feel safer, not having a light on.

I know, I believe you. I think now could be a good time to transition my DD3, and the nightlight I found has a timer feature, so I'll probably try to do that. For my DD6, I don't think I could do it right now. She's not horribly afraid, but she's like me--if she thinks too much about it, the fear grows. We've done the "look under the bed, in the closet, under the desk" thing, and it doesn't really work for her. There have been times when the light bulb has gone out in the night, and she's woken in a panic, yelling for me and unable to get out of bed. Then there have been times when it's happened and she's never noticed! She's my cautious, but very eager to please, kid, so I have to be careful not to push her too far :( I'll work on it though, because I do agree with you.

Thanks!

Hey, that's what I posted above! Or did you see that and were just chiming in? :D

I know, I believe you. I think now could be a good time to transition my DD3, and the nightlight I found has a timer feature, so I'll probably try to do that. For my DD6, I don't think I could do it right now. She's not horribly afraid, but she's like me--if she thinks too much about it, the fear grows. We've done the "look under the bed, in the closet, under the desk" thing, and it doesn't really work for her. There have been times when the light bulb has gone out in the night, and she's woken in a panic, yelling for me and unable to get out of bed. Then there have been times when it's happened and she's never noticed! She's my cautious, but very eager to please, kid, so I have to be careful not to push her too far :( I'll work on it though, because I do agree with you.

Thanks!

Here's another idea. What if you gave her a flashlight to keep in her bed? She could turn it on to see things if she felt afraid, but she could turn it off to sleep. It might take a while for her to transition, and she might leave it on overnight sometimes, but it might be the next step toward being a "big girl who can sleep in the dark like Mommy does." Even if you got one for each girl, it might help. Maybe a sticker chart for every night they go to sleep with their flashlights off, with a reward after 10 nights, 20 nights, etc.? If you think it would take awhile to transition, it might be worth getting those LED crank flashlights to avoid going through so many batteries.

Edited by klmama