Menu

RIGHT START or MUS for Maths?

travelbug

Hi all,

My daughter is nearly 6yrs and I want to start a maths programme with her. I dont really want worksheet only stuff. I'm looking at the above and Right Start looks good to me.

Anyone using either and can give me some advice about adv / disadv of both?

Travelbug,

Mum to dd(6) ds(4) and dd(2.5).

We just started RightStart and I love the program. It is different each day which keeps it fun and interesting. I find it easy to implement and most of all my daughters love it.

We used MUS for awhile, and it didn't seem to ever go anywhere. We found it boring. However many people love it, so I guess it just depends on your style.

Michelle

I love RightStart math - it is a wonderful program. But my only caution would be that it is teacher intensive - you have to sit and teach the material to your child. But it is definitely not worksheet driven (at least the lower levels). I have no experience with Math U See so I can't comment on that.

Random thoughts:

If you have the time to do a teacher-intensive program and don't mind switching later, then go with RS.

If you need to spend less time on math, but still want manipulatives and a good understanding of concepts, and you would like to stick with something all the way through, then go with MUS.

RS is more fun than MUS, but from what I understand it is too advanced and expects abstract thinking too early. If the child isn't ready for that, then it isn't so fun anymore. (I have not used RS, so I could be wrong, it is something to look into.) MUS is very concrete, not expecting something that they are not developmentally ready to do.

If you are worried about transitioning to a different program later, then you could combine them, or pick one and combine with another program... but so many people end up switching anyway that I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are you won't stick to the same thing all the way through even if you can.

IMO both programs have children memorizing math facts a little too early. I would continue on with the program for a good semester or year after they are expecting math facts before starting them. JMO, of course.

Clear as mud??

I am using with my ds5 1/2 and I think it is great. As long as I keep reviewing stuff and playing games he is learning a lot. If I don't think he gets it I just repeat the lesson the next day and he usually picks it up at once. If not, then it only needs another repeat and he acts as if it were the easiest thing in the world!

The nice thing is that it isn't worksheet based

Stephanie

I did RS levels A-D with my dd, and highly recommend it. We then went to BJU math, which has been a good transition. If you look at the RS samples and like it, I think you're going to find it a good fit. RS is exactly like the samples. They also have a good return policy, so you can try it and see how it goes. It is teacher-driven, but you need to teach math at this age anyway, kwim? About 3rd gr my dd really started getting that hankering to be more independent, but math still needs to be taught, jmho. I think levels A and B, and the way they taught 4 digit subtraction in level C were just fabulous. If you want to start with a teacher-driven program for the early years and then move to a more workbooky program, that would work well. RS gives you such a fabulous foundation, transitions well to any other program, and is worth the effort in those early years.

RS has been used quite successfully with remedial students too. It's actually really great in that respect, because the books indicate levels, not grades, and go so carefully through the concepts, building understanding. So no, I wouldn't say it's a curriculum only for the gifted or advanced (as was implied in another thread). In fact, quite the opposite, it spends a lot of time going through things to a degree that some gifted learners don't need. ;)

If you like RS, use it. Borrow MUS from a friend and try it too! I'm in favor of trying everything, lol. You don't want to change around a LOT, but trying different things to find the right fit is fine. Most everybody seems to need to change at some point. You might think you have the "perfect" curriculum, and then life changes. (your kid hates it, you're pregnant and want it on video, blah blah) Don't be too locked into worries about what they'll study in high school, whether a particular curriculum gets you onto some track, blah blah. Pick something you think you can teach. If you can teach it, that's 80% of the battle. And as for what I'll do with my new little one? Well I did RS A-D with dd and went into BJU, so I'll probably do something like that again. The more I use BJU, the more impressed I am with it. However, I still like RS better for the beginning levels.

We just LOVE Rightstart! I've done MUS and Singapore with DS, and MUS was boring, and Singapore was getting to be a bit boring, too. We're on Level C, and DS(8) is doing extremely well. We're planning on adding Singapore back into the mix, but RS will be our main math program. I highly recommend it.

It is teacher-driven, but you need to teach math at this age anyway, kwim?

I agree. RightStart is very time consuming but I asked myself if I wanted my kids to understand math or not. I have to put in the time when they're young, no matter what program I use, and RightStart is the best I've seen at really giving kids an understanding of math. I've used Horizons, Miquon, Singapore, and MUS, and have been most impressed with RS for younger kids.

My 8 year old hated math until we bought RS. My dd has been using Singapore without a problem, she is a kid who really gets math, but I like how RS teaches it so much that I now have her using RS too.

I'm still using MUS with my oldest, because it works for him, so it really depends on the kid. But I know my oldest would have benefited from RS when he was younger also.

I also love RS...but I think that any curr. (and esp. math) depends alot on you, your goals and your child. If you're able to check out both at a convention or something it might help you decide. I used MUS primer in K and I realized halfway through that my ds could answer every question correct but had no clue how/why he got that answer!?! :confused: However I know alot of people really love MUS...so that was probably just my strange little kiddo! :001_smile:

I also love RS...but I think that any curr. (and esp. math) depends alot on you, your goals and your child. If you're able to check out both at a convention or something it might help you decide. I used MUS primer in K and I realized halfway through that my ds could answer every question correct but had no clue how/why he got that answer!?! :confused: However I know alot of people really love MUS...so that was probably just my strange little kiddo! :001_smile:

I have heard that about just about every math curriculum. I think that is why so many are using more than one. It gives different angles. (I don't think I have heard this about BJU... HMmmmm.....)

I have heard that about just about every math curriculum. I think that is why so many are using more than one. It gives different angles. (I don't think I have heard this about BJU... HMmmmm.....)

Yes, that's part of what made me decide on BJU. It's similar to RS conceptually and has everything I need (conceptual teaching, spiral review, fact drill, and challenging application problems) all in one coordinated curriculum. The new editions are even better, with those supplmental pages on a cd to print. I'm using the older edition (BJU5, not available in the new edition), so it's in separate workbooks. Even so, it's easy to implement. It's become a perfect fit for us right now, something I never thought I'd find.

Yes, that's part of what made me decide on BJU. It's similar to RS conceptually and has everything I need (conceptual teaching, spiral review, fact drill, and challenging application problems) all in one coordinated curriculum.

We use RS math and LOVE it, but I was considering a program to supplement on days they need extra review or if DH has to "teach" :) So do you think BJU is similiar to RS enough to supplement it? We're only on level B so we are in the early years - is BJU as good then too? I was considering Singapore because of the word problems and also Horizons because others had said they used it with RS successfully, but now I'm wondering about BJU too due to your review. I need to sit down with the Scope and Sequences as soon as I have a free moment and see exactly how they might correlate but would love to hear your opinion on using BJU as a supplement to RS B :) :) (if you don't mind) :)

I love RS. My kids love RS. The games are fun and it isnt dependent on worksheets all the time. The manipulatives are fun and varied. They teach the why and how of math NOT rote memorization!!!! No they dont teach the kids to memorize their facts. They teach them strategies to use when doing their math facts. My kids have a solid foundation of their facts and how to do math. They can do it with confidence and they KNOW how and why and can explain it to you. My dilemma: it is very teacher and time intensive. Next year, I will have to be teaching level B, C, and D. I dont think its physically possible for me to teach those 3 levels. it would take close to 2 hours! So while I love the idea of RS, it it very intensive and I will need to choose something else for my oldest. I will probably go with MUS because it does have the video and while i know thats not technically what its for, it will have to serve our purposes and our busy schedule.

Another thumbs up for Right Start here. My DD6 actually cheers when I say we're going to do math :D She loves the manipulatives and card games, and even DD3 begs to "do math" (I set the number cards up as a memory game for her). I agree that RS is teacher intensive, but that's OK with me. I'm good at mental math, but have a hard time envisioning how I would teach the processes to someone else, so I need to be talked all the way through the lessons. Even as I'm going through it, I'm often thinking to myself, "She's never going to understand this." And like magic, she just...does!

I've never used MUS, though, so I can't compare the two. We started with RS on a friend's recommendation, and it worked for us, so we stuck with it.

My husband is a coder and uses math all day long. After we went to our state convention, and saw the MUS presentation, he was sold. He was so excited about our girls learning this way. Just the fact the they teach counting from 0 to 9 instead of 1 to 10 was a huge selling point for him. I am horrible at math, yet could understand the demo :D, so I was sold. I love the DVD. So far it is really working great.

I am going to go against the grain and say that I am using both. We started off using MUS and I really like the philosophy of addition then subtraction then multiplication then division then fractions then decimals. That really makes sense to me. However, the kids only seem to spend 5 or 10 minutes on it, and while they are mastering the facts it seems to just be a facts drill before we can move on. So, I use it because I like the progression of it and so do dc.

However, to conceptualize things from multiple angles and to do something more interesting we also use RS. I figure that we can't over teach the basics. DS is almost certainly going to do something that involve heavy use of maths and science, so I want him to have a very solid understanding. DD might, too, though she is also very language orientated. The more different perspectives and methods that they have the more equiped they will be later.

Both are good choices