Menu

Why do I spend money on curriculum?

Michelle My Bell

Now I guess I should be fair because there is no way that I could teach math without a curriculum in upper grades, but why do I spend hundreds of dollars on curriculum instead of just going it alone.

I have owned a ton of curriculum over the years, and spent quite a bit on TOG this year. I do love TOG, don't get me wrong. These last few weeks I put TOG on hold to study the Civil Rights Movement with one daughter and the Depression with the other for a History Night presentation in a few weeks. We checked out tons of books, non-fiction, historical fiction and biographies. We have read a lot on wikipedia, watched movies such as Ruby Bridges (5 stars), The Rosa Parks Story (4 stars), Selma Lord Selma (5 stars) and the Waltons. We have been working on project boards as well.

It has been amazing! Even my younger daughters have learned even though I haven't been directly teaching them. We have tons of discussions (without the aid of a TM). We relate it the Bible, we do compare and contrasts all off the cuff. I don't feel restricted by weeks (for instance, most curriculum spends very little time per subject to keep you moving) or by someone elses idea of an activity or project.

I don't know, but I feel like this has been an amazing eye opener for me. I haven't made any decsions to drop our curriculum at this point, but I am thinking of using it more as a resouce for books and ideas, possibly using it in any order that fancies us. So how about you? Do you find curriculum really helps or hinders?

Michelle

Edited by Michelle My Bell

looking at all kinds curriculum for example history. Instead of buying a pricey curriculum, I got TQ reading list and we have winged it. Checking out all kinds of books from the library, movies, etc. just like you. We, too, are having a blast and there is NO pressure! I am starting to do this with science as well. I have been having them write about stuff in these two subjects, then we go over their papers for grammer, sentence structure, ideas, etc.

I guess I just got carried away talking, but it is so freeing and most of the time it doesn't even feel like school, kwim? I do wonder if it is enough but I am about to the point to quit worrying.

Have fun with it and know that our kids are still learning tons.:001_smile:

That was what we were doing for several years, but then as I had more children I started to get nervous and feel like I had to be more structured to make sure they were all getting what they needed. I think there is balance though and it isn't always easy to find. What it boils down to is what is best for your children and family!

looking at all kinds curriculum for example history. Instead of buying a pricey curriculum, I got TQ reading list and we have winged it. Checking out all kinds of books from the library, movies, etc. just like you. We, too, are having a blast and there is NO pressure! I am starting to do this with science as well. I have been having them write about stuff in these two subjects, then we go over their papers for grammer, sentence structure, ideas, etc.

I guess I just got carried away talking, but it is so freeing and most of the time it doesn't even feel like school, kwim? I do wonder if it is enough but I am about to the point to quit worrying.

Have fun with it and know that our kids are still learning tons.:001_smile:

Hi Tani,

Have you found anything like TQ except for Science? That would be awesome!

Michelle

I've gone through seasons where unit studies (like you're doing) work great. Then, I go through seasons where I NEED the curriculum - Like now:D I've switched to Sonlight for the oldest and full on A Beka K for the youngest. It is like a breath of fresh air. I see a HUGE difference. I don't have so much plan and prep time, I don't have the stress of making sure I've got each subject perfectly planned and I don't have the stress of overdue library books. I don't even have to organize the books because they're already planned out for me. I LOVE it!

But. . .

There are times I miss Konos (what we used for unit studies), and I cringe at what I'm planning on spending next year with two Sonlight Cores. But, sometimes it's necessary to keep your sanity.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I have enough stuff here for a millions of kids. :) Stop buying and start using is my new motto. Let's see if it works.

The other day I got to thinking "If the house ever burned down, I would never get the money back for all of my books" I know, there are worse things to lose, but you get the gist. We have sooo much curriculum and books, and yes, it is a disease. Anyway, I am now trying to use up what I can before they get too old for it. My dc are close in age, and I won't be using it on anybody else, so I'm trying to utilize what I can-and see if it works.:D

I really like skill specific curriculum. Meaning, I like having a pick-up and go textbook/workbook for subjects like math, grammar and spelling. I really dislike the very involved programs like Sonlight, TOG and Winter Promise. They overwhelm me. I feel like we have to squeeze in XY and Z.

For history and science I use spines and add in literature or "real books" along the way.

I think what really matter is what you actually gets done. The best laid plans and all.

I have used many different curriculum as well. I find that I often pressure myself to "follow" the program as written. Then I feel guilty if I don't cover everything in the book. This drives me crazy! I need to find the happy medium between a well constructed plan for our school year and a place where I feel I have the freedom to teach my children at our own pace using the methods and materials that best fit our family.

A mom blogger I really like described it as stone soup. I think that's exactly what happens. We love it, we're excited, we delve in, and we alter and adjust and tweak until we've made something exciting.

I was just thinking that I could take me and the two big kids to a cordwood house building workshop for a week instead of buying any new curriculum programs next year. The only subject we absolutely can't do without buying something would be Greek, I think. We have or can wing everything else. My brother even offered to illegally download Rosetta Stone for me. (I told him no thanks.)

I guess I see everyone's post. In a few years, I may need the structure of a curriculum again, but I have reached a point where it is not only not necessary, but it has become a burden to me. I need to remember there are a lot of things in life that are all one way, or all another way. I have shot myself in the foot several times in the past thinking I have it all figured out, and then I realize I am now the opposite of what I was preaching a few years ago!

Ahh, life...

Michelle:)

Curriculum is wonderful- it has taught me a lot- but the longer I homeschool the more I feel comfortable goign without curriculum here and there, and tweaking it. This last year I dropped a lot o curriculum. This next year, I seem ot have more than usual- I think I am gearing up for a more academic year- but I wont know till it starts!

I like being in charge, rather than being a slave to the curriculum.

I've ditched the curriculum with J for history this year. It just bogged us down feeling like we had to cover it ALL. I've realised now that you could study history all your life and still not be anywhere close to covering it all. So we are doing exactly what you are. Right now he is finishing off the Tudors then he will move on to explorers and you are right.... it's freeing and J is enjoying it more and getting so much more out of it. History is the only subject I've really let go in. Give me time I might ditch em all ;)

I really like skill specific curriculum. Meaning, I like having a pick-up and go textbook/workbook for subjects like math, grammar and spelling. I really dislike the very involved programs like Sonlight, TOG and Winter Promise. They overwhelm me. I feel like we have to squeeze in XY and Z.

For history and science I use spines and add in literature or "real books" along the way.

I think what really matter is what you actually gets done. The best laid plans and all.

:iagree:

This is pretty much what we do. My problem is there are so many wonderful literature books to fit in for history, that we can't fit them all in. What a nice problem :001_smile:

I don't like the SOTW AG because it lists all these gorgeous extra reading books - I couldn't possibly get them all, and I would dearly love to. Sigh.

for science but I am looking. If I come across good ones I will post them. Has anyone else? Right now we just choose a subject, ie geology, weather, chemistry, etc. and study it. There are lots of books with experiments at our library, although right now we are using REAL Kids Science.

The ability to pick and choose how we homeschool is one of the bigger gifts of homeschooling. I agree that every season of life has different needs. I know as my older gets into High School I will start switching back to texts and such for school. For now, though, I am enjoying the freedom of "winging it":D

This is why I have dropped all my plans of intense history studies. I feel we can learn so much history in our free time! Between documentaries, library videos, books just for fun, and such we learn a whole lot. There is only so much money and time, and I feel it is far more useful to focus on skill areas. That said, it has been nice to have a simple history textbook lying around for those times when we don't seem to be covering any history naturally. Perhaps you can do unit studies most of the time and keep a nice text lying around for when you don't have the time to plan. It would save money.

Hey I have an idea, why don't we take ambleside onlines idea and make a free online science guide, something like truthquest. If we all pool our resources and knowledge we could end up with something fantastic.

There should be a Spine text for those who want it.

There should be living storybooks for all ages.

There should be non-fiction books, colorful and filled with facts.

There should be a listing of good video's on each topic.

There should be a listing of free online worksheets & websites.

There should be a listing of websites or books with good experiements.

It should also be noted anything that would be offensive to Christians.

People then could pick and choose from the resources to make their own perfect science curriculum. Well, lets get started!:D

Michelle

That's the reason I don't use programs for elementary history and science. I can't imagine paying that much for a program when we can just study the topics on our own. I have looked at them all, I even tried a sample of TOG, but they are not for us. Instead I buy resources to use - guides, literature, etc.

Most people must be using them, though, because it seems like everyone and their brother is offering a program like that.

Now for math, phonics, spelling, high school science... I use a well-researched purchased curriculum.

I have to say that I've moved to doing a curriculum for science for my dd in 3rd. She wanted to study animals and birds and I wanted a good source of real scientific knowledge, not just rehashing the elementary stuff of early science books. That's why I chose Apologia's Flying Creatures for her. It can be used as a full curriculum or things can be added to it from the library. I like having the flexibility as I frequently change my mind.;)

I think I vacillate between curriculum and doing our own thing just to change things up. Sometimes I just need to do the next thing and at other times I'm all up for planning and researching stuff. I just need to switch things up a bit to keep things fresh. I guess I see curriculum supporting me when I need it and don't want homeschooling to take over my life (well more than it already does:D)

I'm all for a science version of AO. I think that there are so many neat books out there that I could use if I knew they existed. Does ATTA have any science topics? I know it's primarily history but that would be cool too. Aligning history and science when it naturally meshes together is just too much fun.

I need a new life........:lol:

Hey I have an idea, why don't we take ambleside onlines idea and make a free online science guide, something like truthquest. If we all pool our resources and knowledge we could end up with something fantastic.

People then could pick and choose from the resources to make their own perfect science curriculum. Well, lets get started!:D

Michelle

I'm game!:D

I've got the newest ATTA here, and it has about 12 pages dedicated to science, art and math.

I'd like to add to your list:

There should be sites for nature study specific to different regions of the country (or world).

The other day I got to thinking "If the house ever burned down, I would never get the money back for all of my books" I know, there are worse things to lose, but you get the gist.

When we evacuated for Hurricane Rita (2005? 2006?), the first thing I packed up was our curricula.;) I was not about to let hundreds of dollars and all the time I had put into researching to be washed away!

This time, for Hurricane Ike, I only took what we were currently using, with high hopes that we would get schooling done while we were gone. That didn't happen, but at least I had what we needed in case we were evacuated long-term (which, thank goodness, did not happen).

I don't like the SOTW AG because it lists all these gorgeous extra reading books - I couldn't possibly get them all, and I would dearly love to. Sigh.

I just check out a bunch of the books from the list from upcoming chapters, and let my dc pick which they read. They do have to do some reading from them each day, but they pick which books they read.

Now, if only I had time to read them, too! :D

I don't think we would actually "study" much of anything if I didn't purchase curricula. Really, we would probably end up spending way too much time with the electronic boxes, or even if I was good about keeping that under control, the kids would spend all their time just playing. (I know--some say there's nothing wrong with that.)

Truly, though, if we had the $$ I would ditch some of the curricula, and take them to some of the various classes or activities offered in our area. Unfortunately, though, that ends up costing much more than curricula, so I end up back to workbooks and the like.

Interesting discussion, though, and is giving me something to think about.

Michelle

The Spine would be the Usborne Science Encyclopedia.

What I think we'd really need is a list of kits or specific experiments that correspond to each section/topic of Usborne. Experiments books can be hit or miss.

That was what we were doing for several years, but then as I had more children I started to get nervous and feel like I had to be more structured to make sure they were all getting what they needed. I think there is balance though and it isn't always easy to find. What it boils down to is what is best for your children and family!

:iagree:

:hurray:

The First Thing we need is a website!

Who's got one where we can enter the info?

I have a ton of sites I have found and bookmarked over the years--free activity guides and such on different science units--there's a TON of stuff out there--the problem is organizing it and using it--not finding it!

Angela,

What do you use to guide you with Science?

Thanks,

Michelle

When they were younger (preschool and K,) we used an Evan-Moor series, to which I added my own list of books, gleaned from internet searches and the Rainbow Resource catalog. Then for a few years, we use the Usborne Science Encylcopedia, with either them picking a list of topics for the year, or me putting together a list. We also keep all of the A Beka science books (1st-8th grade) on the shelf (bought used over the years,) to provide a reference for a Christian perspective of a topic we want to look up.

This is why I like TWTM's spine system. The spine gives you an order and makes sure you don't miss anything and lets you go quickly through the bits you aren't interested in, and then you can dwell on the interesting bits, doing extra reading and projects and research. Our Latin and math books are the only things I don't use spine-fashion, now that my children are older. Well, and workbooks like proof-reading and vocabulary. -Nan