Menu

Am I nuts? Considering adopting a puppy.

Dh and I have been softening on the idea of getting a dog. DD8 REALLY wants a dog. (The boys were never much interested in pets.) She has never begged for one (she's just too sweet for that), but she loves every dog she meets and often talks about how she will get a dog when she gets older. She loves to watch Dogs 101 on Animal Planet. When dh and I got married, we had planned on getting a dog, but due to health issues and family issues that required travel, we never got around to it before kids. After kids, I just felt too overwhelmed.

We had planned to investigate the possibility in the spring. Well, a plea from a good friend came across my email for good homes for some adorable black lab mix puppies that were abandoned by the side of the road. She has taken care of them, but they have to go. I am so torn. If it were April, I would have called hubby at work and said "let's go get ONE."(edit - not 'them') But now, we have 2 - 4 ft drifts of snow, below zero temps and we are not prepared. I just can't bear the thought of these puppies going to animal control, but I think I am just crazy to even be considering this.

I have never owned a dog - had cats growing up. Dh hasn't either. What do we need to think about? In my perfect world, I want a dog that we can train to be a pleasant addition to the house, not an adorable nightmare (thinking of other people's pets I have known as well as "Marley.") Can I do this? What do I need to do to start? Planning on crate training, but I know dd would love for puppy to be in her room (she HATES to sleep alone - would love to have a roomie.)

Am I nuts?

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
OOPs - edited to mean ONLY ONE PUPPY!

I think first thing to decide is....if you want a big dog....or a little dog. Would you be ok with having a big dog...such as a lab....indoors all the time? Remember....labs SHED. If I were you...I would start out with a small dog.....definitely...not a lab, LOL. When you figure that part out.....then we will go from there LOL! All dogs are a lot of work, but I do find larger dogs to be more work than smaller dogs.

You might want to consider a dog instead. We have lots of dogs, and have trained lots of puppies. A puppy is not unlike adding a new baby - need lots of time, cause lots of messes, and wake you up in the middle of the night. I wanted a family dog, but I'm feeling too old to go through the puppy stage right now - so we got a 15mo dog off Craig's list. THe owner was going overseas, and was delighted to see her dog go to a good home. The dog was housebroken, knew most basic commands, and loved kids. The settling in phase was relatively painless (the first night was a little rough).

Puppies are so cute- I'll bet if they go to the shelter someone will adopt them.

You might want to consider a dog instead. We have lots of dogs, and have trained lots of puppies. A puppy is not unlike adding a new baby - need lots of time, cause lots of messes, and wake you up in the middle of the night. I wanted a family dog, but I'm feeling too old to go through the puppy stage right now - so we got a 15mo dog off Craig's list. THe owner was going overseas, and was delighted to see her dog go to a good home. The dog was housebroken, knew most basic commands, and loved kids. The settling in phase was relatively painless (the first night was a little rough).

Puppies are so cute- I'll bet if they go to the shelter someone will adopt them.

Ditto everything! We have 4 dogs and the ones we got as "teens" have been wonderful! Also, look for a breed rescue site. Labradoodles are great (don't shed) and have an active rescue organization.

You have to want this dog and you have to train it. These things only get done by the grown up at home. Labs are "puppies" for a long time. Do you travel? Have you read up on training? Are there classes for you and the dog? Could you afford someone to come in and give you private help in training? They will be with you for many years. Do you have a fenced yard? Will you walk the dog? Do you love big, "stinky" dogs? (As my dd would say.) My ds loves every dog he meets. We travel so we settled on two kittens. :) They can take care of themselves for a few days once they are older. If you don't take these dogs it doesn't mean they won't get adopted.

Good luck with your decision.

I'm also thinking that a lab mix puppy is probably not the best first dog. I fostered labs a couple of years ago...it's true; they stay puppies for a LONG time. I'd spend some time researching different breeds and thinking about what kind of dog would fit in best in your family and then check out petfinder.com when you're ready and find a young adult dog that fits the bill. I definitely understand the impulse to help these puppies that you know need it right now, but there will always be dogs that need good homes--you can only help one of them, so you want to make sure it's the right one.

Dh and I have been softening on the idea of getting a dog. DD8 REALLY wants a dog. (The boys were never much interested in pets.) She has never begged for one (she's just too sweet for that), but she loves every dog she meets and often talks about how she will get a dog when she gets older. She loves to watch Dogs 101 on Animal Planet. When dh and I got married, we had planned on getting a dog, but due to health issues and family issues that required travel, we never got around to it before kids. After kids, I just felt too overwhelmed.

We had planned to investigate the possibility in the spring. Well, a plea from a good friend came across my email for good homes for some adorable black lab mix puppies that were abandoned by the side of the road. She has taken care of them, but they have to go. I am so torn. If it were April, I would have called hubby at work and said "let's go get them." But now, we have 2 - 4 ft drifts of snow, below zero temps and we are not prepared. I just can't bear the thought of these puppies going to animal control, but I think I am just crazy to even be considering this.

I have never owned a dog - had cats growing up. Dh hasn't either. What do we need to think about? In my perfect world, I want a dog that we can train to be a pleasant addition to the house, not an adorable nightmare (thinking of other people's pets I have known as well as "Marley.") Can I do this? What do I need to do to start? Planning on crate training, but I know dd would love for puppy to be in her room (she HATES to sleep alone - would love to have a roomie.)

Am I nuts?

Just by chance last night I happened upon a Seeing Eye dog class (they rent space in my church and I saw them there after bell practice). Dd was with me and she is a huge dog person, so of course we ran in there and saw all of the dogs! It's an amazing program. Anyway, I got to talking with the husband of the woman who was in charge and, because I was interested for future reference, I hit him with a barrage of questions.

One of the things he told me was that the dogs who fail the test (and there are a variety of reasons, everything from being too friendly to taking a pee during the test) are put up for adoption. Apparently there is a long waiting list. but I thought I'd mention it because he said that people who receive the dogs who don't make the program essentially receive a fully trained dog that's still only about 19 months old. It might be a really great way to ease into dog ownership without the trials of puppyhood or the uncertainty of a shelter dog.

Blessings,

Kris

Please, if you listen to nothing else I say...ever...please hear this. Do not get a dog in haste. Ask me how I know??? Let's just say 7 dogs, one really mad husband, and lots of work finding good homes after the fact. Dogs are cute, but chances are, if these are LAB pups and they go to shelter, they will be adopted super fast. Don't let your heart strings get in the way of your logic.

I definitely think getting a dog is a great thing...but wait until you are prepared. Search for breeds that you want, think about the kids and what they will do best with, decide if you want a house dog or and inside/outside dog...then, with all of your planning and thought, go get one. :)

First of all I can relate to the weather. I'm also in the western burbs of Chicago. Not fun at all!

We have a yellow lab/golden retriever mix. I'll try to be as honest as possible. We were in a similar situation. My bil had a friend whose dog had puppies. They were giving them away for free! We really wanted a dog but weren't planning to get one yet. My kids were 6, 3 and newborn at that time. Not the best time!

I'll be honest. The first few months were rough. He was very energetic. (Think Marley but not as bad). He grew very quickly and was very strong. (He got up to 130 pounds at his heaviest). We crate trained, which I think made all the difference in the world. We survived. My kids were also a lot younger.

We can't imagine life without our dog. He is 10 1/2 so unfortunately we probably won't have him for too many more years. He calmed down after a few years and is now the best dog in the world. He was always great with the kids (not so great with me). He is such a big pillow and has such a funny personality. He does shed a lot, which is a draw back but again we feel that positives outweigh the negatives. He has never been afraid of storms, never barks or whines and as long as we feed him and let him out occasionally he is very happy.

A puppy is hard work. A big, energetic puppy is even more work. I would crate train and make the kids realize from day one that they need to help. My kids were really too young to help. Once the weather clears up I would try to train him to walk on a leash. We were never able to do that because my dh was too busy with work and I was too busy with 3 kids including a new baby. Unfortunately when I tried to train him when he was a little older it was apparent that he was twice as strong as I was and if we went on a walk he would be walking me. Luckily we have a big fenced in back yard so he can run around in that.

You really have to weigh the positives and negatives. I am a dog lover so it would be difficult for me to turn it down.

Thank you all for your comments. You see, we have been researching dogs on the QT for several months, hence watching dogs 101 with dd. DH and I have always considered a lab to be in our top 3 for an ideal dog (me? #1) - knowing full well that the first two years would be pretty crazy. We know all their problems and we just love them. We have been vacillating between an adult dog ( who may have had a great previous owner or a bad one) or a puppy (who can be pretty crazy to train, but then we get a chance to do it right.)

DD is torn (she still does not know that we are considering getting one, but for when she is on her own) between getting a "cute" small dog, and a lab. We almost inherited a "Maltese". As cute as the dog was, I just felt that breed needed way too much foo foo pampering.

We don't travel much. We go on one big vacation every two years and could possibly take the dog (camping, cabins, nature etc.) We also have someone who has volunteered to dog sit for us if we needed someone.

We do not have a fenced back yard. Major drawback there.

I guess my biggest "am I crazy" was more about getting a puppy in the middle of a very snowy winter. I don't mind being outside - I walk a couple days a week outdoors, but that would change to daily:).

I would agree with most everyone else - wait. Make your dd read books on breeds and training. Have her pet sit for someone and really take care of the dog. The Westmisnter dog show comes on soon and they have great information on thier website. That being said we LOVE our dog, a small poodle (I am allergic to dogs) and my kids can walk her and take care of her completely. She is playful but not hyper. Take your time.

It sounds like you have done your research. THe snow will be there next year when the puppy needs to be walked then.

Deciding a walking plan(schedule) ahead of time can help this be a realistic thought for all of you. if you feel that walks every 2 hours and every 4-6 hours throughtout the night are too many then you might want to hold off but if you think you and your husband(not the kids, although they sometimes can do this it needs to be done by you) can stick to a schedule like this than go for it.

7:30am dad walk

9:00am breakfast for puppy

9:30 mom walk

10:30am play time

etc.

Scheduling yourselves as well as the puppy right away for some obedience classes will also help if you do plan to go ahead with getting one.

But as everyone else said do not get 2 right away.

As far as size goes, just because a dog is small does not mean you will not have a 1) mess

2) training ease

3) non shedder

All dogs big and small have certain issues that you need to watch for. The big thing is for you to learn how to train the dog and if you feel that you can stick to a schedule for them. No yard means numerous walks, MANY times a day because the dog will need to be exercised and you might never be able to let the dog off leash safely and with no fenced yard you have to figure out ways to do that. obedience training and extra classes like agility are great for that. A tired puppy is a happy puppy and less likely to damage your house.

Good luck.

Don't do it!!!

I know that's mean, and they are so cute, and they are great for kids, but... I have always been a cat person, and dogs are just so needy! I "had" to have one too; we got her almost 3 years ago. Yes, she's great with the kids, and they love her, but sometimes I feel like I'm going to go crazy. She follows me around, always seems like she wants something, I could go on and on. Then I feel guilty, because she is sweet, and looks at me with those eyes.:sad: Are you ready for another baby? Some days, when she is so needy I just want to say "I don't have anything left to give!" But, if you are a dog lover, it's another story, my mom is, she doesn't really likes cats, has always had dogs, would never be without one. So, I don't know. Maybe it will be good for you. Just think long and hard.:001_smile:

If you decide to adopt one, make sure you spend some time with the puppies first so you can figure out the personality of each, and which one will match the best with your family. Both of our dogs have the EXACT same personalities today as they did as puppies. If I had known, we probably would have passed on our first dog (a bit crazy and neurotic). Don't assume an obnoxious or overly energetic puppy will grow out of it!

We trained our puppies to use a litter box and later to use the doggie door. So you don't necessarily have to go on multiple walks per day.

Good luck with your decision!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
DH and I have always considered a lab to be in our top 3 for an ideal dog (me? #1) - knowing full well that the first two years would be pretty crazy. We know all their problems and we just love them. We have been vacillating between an adult dog ( who may have had a great previous owner or a bad one) or a puppy (who can be pretty crazy to train, but then we get a chance to do it right.)

Yeah, Labs! Our dearly beloved 14.5 year old yellow lab passed away in July and it was truly dreadful. We got her when she was 2 and absolutely loved every minute with her. She was past the puppy stage and a dream dog. Truly.

My husband and I knew we wanted another lab but thought another color might be better, less painful. We got a 7 week old chocolate Lab puppy in November. We would have waited longer but a similar opportunity came up for us where a friend's chocolate lab accidentally spent some time with her dad's black lab. Voila! We couldn't pass up this opportunity because these puppies were born around 5 and 2 year old children and handled since the day they were born. So, Milo entered our lives. I was prepared for him.

If you get this dog, I highly recommend...

Everything You Need to Know About House Training Puppies and Adult Dogs

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-About-House-Training-Puppies/dp/1411631536/ref=pd_sim_b_19

I read this book, highlighted, took notes. I got Milo on a Saturday evening and by Tuesday he was whining at the door when he needed to go out to go potty. Labs are BRILLIANT. With diligence and respectful treatment, you can expect great things.

How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With

http://www.amazon.com/How-Raise-Puppy-You-Live/dp/1577790766/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231979918&sr=8-1

Yes, puppies are kind of like having a newborn. Milo hasn't slept in his crate since he first learned to whine at the back door. (It's a straight eyeshot from my bed to the door so that helps.) Yes, he's up once or twice in the night whining to go potty but he does it, comes back in, goes back to sleep. Frankly, I'm just thrilled that he's going outside. With your snow issue, training might be more difficult. If you can faithfully clear snow from the area of the yard that you want him to use, you'll have better luck. My first lab never minded snow but I certainly didn't want her wet.

And your daughter would LOVE this one...

101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog

http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Activities-Challenge/dp/1592533256/ref=pd_sim_b_9

We do not have a fenced back yard. Major drawback there.

I guess my biggest "am I crazy" was more about getting a puppy in the middle of a very snowy winter. I don't mind being outside - I walk a couple days a week outdoors, but that would change to daily:).

See above about the snow. The biggest problem I see is the lack of fence. That could be a pretty serious problem but it really depends a lot on what kind of family dog he's going to be for you. I don't really believe in outside dogs. Milo is always inside with us. If we go outside for any reason, he goes outside. Labs are good pack dogs that way. Someone else commented about how annoying they find it that their dog follows them around all the time. They're pack animals. They stay together. I personally find it very endearing. When Milo comes outside while the kids are playing and I'm reading on my swing (I'm in TX, this is one of my year round pleasures!), he plays a bit then takes a nap at my feet. Wherever I am, he is with me. I think you probably have to like that to consider yourself a dog person. At any rate, without a fence, you will probably need to take leash training very seriously and make sure that he's always secure in your back yard in some other way.

I'm rambling now. I just wanted to defend labs. Yes, they shed a lot. No biggie. I have a vacuum and they're not messier than my kids! Yes, they're excitable and puppyish for longer than some other dogs. BUT, you will never have a more faithful companion.

Oh, yes! You must, must, must do intensive chew toy training! Everything precious needs to be off the floor. My kids know if Milo chews it, it's their fault for it being where he could get it. Labs are especially oral. Plan for that. Milo gets new chews all the time. When he has something he shouldn't, I say, "GIVE!" and, pop, out it comes. He learned that in less than a week. We praise him lavishly when we see him chewing his own toys. He's learning. Again, they're brilliant.

Good luck, whatever your decision.

Thanks, Kristina, for all that great advice.

I showed hubby the pictures and the email. He agreed that if it were April, we would so be getting the dog. Just the whole training thing when we have 3 feet of snow in the backyard gives me pause. Plus I would have more time to train the dog. I get the whole pack thing. That is probably what attracts my daughter to them.

Right now, we are cooling our heels. Dh has a friend who is looking for this type of dog, so at least we can feel that we have helped in some way. The urgency of the situation is that all the no-kill shelters that this woman called were full and no rescue organization in our area would take them either.

We will definitely keep those books in mind for when we do decide.